**** 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Hurricane Helene (130 mph) | Impacts on Florida Panhandle and Georgia | Effected Cities: Tallahassee, ATL ****

BrownTurd

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Ryan Hall just said on the stream that there's a chance it will reach Cata 5. WHAT THE FUCK!!!!
Right now it’s not an impressive storm. Dry air has kicked her butt.

When looking at the cloud tops they appear to be gaining moisture because the current rain rates look a bit weak. Tonight will be critical because that dry air is not impacting her now. So there is a chance she can blow up

But those cloud tops need to really moistened up

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member

200w.gif

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
I count my blessings that during my twelve years in Florida, although we had 3-4 hurricanes that hit my home, we weren't in real danger.

When we moved back to Buffalo, I used to tell people all the time that I'd take a blizzard over a hurricane every time. Looking at the possible storm surge they are expecting in the big bend/state capitol area....yeah fuck all that.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
I count my blessings that during my twelve years in Florida, although we had 3-4 hurricanes that hit my home, we weren't in real danger.

When we moved back to Buffalo, I used to tell people all the time that I'd take a blizzard over a hurricane every time. Looking at the possible storm surge they are expecting in the big bend/state capitol area....yeah fuck all that.

Big Bend area looking at possibilities of a record high for as surge

I think the graph I saw last night had the previous surge like 15ft

BrownTurd

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

They kind of got it wrong on that Instagram post. What’s seen there are wind gust. I estimate those to be around 110 mph. Thankfully those come and go

The wind gust of a cat 4 or 5 is insane. I remember in Andrew, the wind gust sounded like a freight train. You could literally hear it wind up and when it hit the house is was like BOOM!! and rocked the house

BrownTurd

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I was born and raised in Miami, I went through a direct hit with Andrew as a kid living in Homestead. I Never stayed for any other Hurricanes.

What’s crazy now is that a thunderstorm bothers me..lol It literally scares me and I have to tell myself to chill out.. lol

You right, sitting waiting 8 or 9 hours to die is mentally exhausting. Because for those 8 to 9 hours you are fighting for your life the entire time

easy_b

Easy_b is in the place to be.
BGOL Investor
So far Helene has not been impressive at all. But she slowly given hints she is ready to get her act together.
Helene is getting it at together really quickly. Also there is an another reason why I may hit 20 feet is because of the moon. Yesterday started flooding in St. Petersburg, Florida and the storm was very very far away.

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Hurricane Hugo was fun for me as a kid not knowing the danger. I loved the wind sounds and heavy rain. Parents had to make me get away from the windows and doors.

Afterwards I wanted to go out and explore but couldn't cause of downed power lines. That ability to be curious without fear as a kid is something.

BrownTurd

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Helene is getting it at together really quickly. Also there is an another reason why I may hit 20 feet is because of the moon. Yesterday started flooding in St. Petersburg, Florida and the storm was very very far away.
The eye wall seems to not want to close so that is definitely affecting rapid intensification. We will know more by 2pm but for now luck is on our side.

We may miss most of the storm in Atlanta if it keeps it current path. If it wobbles to the west Atlanta will get a nasty hit

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
I was born and raised in Miami, I went through a direct hit with Andrew as a kid living in Homestead. I Never stayed for any other Hurricanes.

What’s crazy now is that a thunderstorm bothers me..lol It literally scares me and I have to tell myself to chill out.. lol

You right, sitting waiting 8 or 9 hours to die is mentally exhausting. Because for those 8 to 9 hours you are fighting for your life the entire time
I tell people all the time. During a hurricane, you're sitting there praying your roof doesn't fly off the house.

During a blizzard, you're sitting indoors eating, drinking, getting fat and bundling up waiting it out before you dig out.

Blizzards are no joke, and I've lived through quite a few, but sitting in the dark as a hurricane comes through the middle of the night when you cannot see anything because the power is out is a scary experience. Especially when that "train" wind noise blows just outside a window you're hoping doesn't blow out.

Nah fam, I'll happily be in the cold and dig out.

TheFuser

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I tell people all the time. During a hurricane, you're sitting there praying your roof doesn't fly off the house.

During a blizzard, you're sitting indoors eating, drinking, getting fat and bundling up waiting it out before you dig out.

Blizzards are no joke, and I've lived through quite a few, but sitting in the dark as a hurricane comes through the middle of the night when you cannot see anything because the power is out is a scary experience. Especially when that "train" wind noise blows just outside a window you're hoping doesn't blow out.

And not for nothing, we really haven't had devastating snow in the NE for years now. Seems like we're getting less snow and those gulf hurricanes are getting more intense. Clearly climate change is a myth.........

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
And not for nothing, we really haven't had devastating snow in the NE for years now. Seems like we're getting less snow and those gulf hurricanes are getting more intense. Clearly climate change is a myth.........
Yep! This will be my third winter being back up north and although Buffalo got hit badly in 2022 and early early 2024, honestly, looking back, the snow came in bunches. We had a few mild winter months, got hit badly, dealt with the snow for a week and a half, before the snowmelt and never really had sustained amounts of snowfall through the season.

When I was a kid, it would snow from October through April. Last year, it didn't really snow until January and when it did, we got a bad storm and nothing significant after that.

BrownTurd

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

How do Blizzards kill people? Do they freeze or something like that?

God-Of-War-420

Mr. Pool

Shit is the worst, went through my first big one in my teenage years when I first got to Florida, spent the better part of the night with my younger brother getting soaked holding our door from flying off the hinges it was shaking so bad. I still get dreams about that night and about the water coming down through the light fixtures and alarm fixtures while the alarms went off.
Hurricane Hugo was fun for me as a kid not knowing the danger. I loved the wind sounds and heavy rain. Parents had to make me get away from the windows and doors.

Afterwards I wanted to go out and explore but couldn't cause of downed power lines. That ability to be curious without fear as a kid is something.
I remember exploring the day after with another bgol board member who shall remain nameless, we were on a desperate search for weed lol driving over downed power lines and trees, hoping the accord wouldn't waterlog. Terrible but fun times, the ignorance of youth.

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Yeah. Get caught on them roads and it's over. Run out of gas, no heat in your car, no blankets, no 4x4...tun off road, you're done.

Recall that sad story of the young Black girl who went to work at Lowe's...couldn't get home and froze in her car...no job worth risking your life...I've been there, almost dying coming in to work a low level job.

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
In the case from the Christmas Blizzard of 2022, people got caught out there and froze in elements or in their vehicles or die due to carbon monoxide poisoning as they slept in their cars. If you lose power and don’t have a fire place you can freeze. Many others die due to cardiac events, shoveling snow having heart attacks, etc….

Last edited: