**** 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Hurricane Helene (140 mph) | Impacts on Florida Panhandle and Georgia | Effected Cities: Tallahassee, ATL ****

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
New NHC advisory has the storm at 120 mph. She is officially a category 3 and seems to be going through rapid intensification.

WTNT64 KNHC 261825
TCUAT4

Hurricane Helene Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL092024
225 PM EDT Thu Sep 26 2024

...AIR FORCE HURRICANE HUNTERS FIND HELENE A MAJOR HURRICANE...

The Air Force Hurricane Hunters found that the maximum sustained
winds have increased to near 120 mph (195 km/h). This makes
Helene a dangerous category 3 major hurricane. Additional
strengthening is expected before Helene makes landfall in the
Florida Big Bend this evening.

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor
She'll definitely reach category 3. I think she'll max out at 125 mph before landfall. Worse, she undergoes rapid intensification and makes it to category 4 (130 mph+).
One of my fellow weather nerds (you're a professional, we're proud weather nerds) told me that whatever category it's predicted to be, prepare for one category higher.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
One of my fellow weather nerds (you're a professional, we're proud weather nerds) told me that whatever category it's predicted to be, prepare for one category higher.

Yeah, we'll likely see a category 4 at this point.

It's moving fast, so it's plausible that this may still be a hurricane by the time it reaches the ATL area. At minimum, a strong tropical storm.

09-L-tracks-latest.png

Coldchi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah, we'll likely see a category 4 at this point.

It's moving fast, so it's plausible that this may still be a hurricane by the time it reaches the ATL area. At minimum, a strong tropical storm.

09-L-tracks-latest.png
Flooding along the Chattahoochee gonna be crazy. People goin back and forth between ATL and Douglasville gonna feel it on I-20.
Six Flags gonna be under water.

debovette

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Im in the Tallahassee area, storm impacts has us currently being hit at a Cat 3 storm. Everyone is up in arms about the storm, saying things like this could be the worst storm to ever hit, but these same out of towners were not here 5 years ago, when Hurricane Michael slammed us at a cat 5.

We should be safe, prob no power for a few days, bunch of wind/trees.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
The storm is officially a category 4 with sustained winds at 130 mph.

However, it’s moving rapidly at 23 mph. What that means is that it will retain hurricane status further inland than normal.

woodchuck

A crowd pleasing man.
OG Investor
The storm is officially a category 4 with sustained winds at 130 mph.

However, it’s moving rapidly at 23 mph. What that means is that it will retain hurricane status further inland than normal.
Fam, they said it's going to intensify over land. How the fuck is that even possible?!

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Fam, they said it's going to intensify over land. How the fuck is that even possible?!

Likely because of the all the storm surge being pushed to land, but it will only be brief if at all. Hurricanes that makes landfall in low laying areas where storm surge is high are able to maintain strength and sometime strengthen temporarily.

It’s something that is common when hurricanes hit eastern NC.