**** 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Hurricane Milton (80 mph) | Expected to Become a Major Hurricane | West Florida On Notice ****

cashwhisperer

My favorite key is E♭
BGOL Investor
I'm still without power but I have a generator so I was able to save my fridge and deep freezer full of food. That was my main concern.

This storm caught me off guard in the worst way. I was tired as hell on Thursday night and accidentally dozed off around 10. I meant to fill up my gas tank before it got too late.

Next thing you know, my lady wakes me up at 1:30 am talking about the power was out. I'm like, "The power is out!! Oh shit!" So I jump up and the wind sounds like a fucking train outside. Tornado?? I looked outside and it was pitch dark. The only thing I could see was the difference between the sky and the trees violently swaying back and forth.

She tells me, "The storm turned and it's coming straight for us." I'm like, "WTF!!!" So I check my weather app and it still says Tornado Watch, not a warning. Then some branches start knocking up against the window and my 7 year old daughter starts crying. So I'm telling everybody to go to the hallway.

Meanwhile, it's lightning but I don't hear any thunder. And the lightning is making the sky aqua blue when it lights up. Then I realize those are transformers lighting up! I'm like, "Fuck!!"

So I looked back at the weather app and look at the radar. Then I realized that we were on the outskirts of the storm, not the center. So I opened my blinds and was just staring at the trees and studying the wind gusts.....

Then I started to chill. I said, fuck it, I'm gonna roll up. So I open my backdoor and just watched the trees dance while I calmed my nerves...

Then I went in my bedroom and opened my windows. I laid there, still tired as fuck. It's 4:30 am at this point. I closed my eyes and felt the breeze coming through. I was like, "Shidddd....this wind feels good!" Each gust felt like I was at the beach on a windy day.

So I fell back asleep. Woke up around 8am. Went outside. Tree branches everywhere! But no damage to the house, no fallen trees, we were lucky.

The power was completely out in the whole town. No gas, no ice, no food at first. But now, people are starting to get their power back. The businesses are slowly opening back up. I'm hearing that most people's power should be back by the 2nd. At first I was hearing it would be a month. Now, it seems like my power will probably be back in the next few days.

This one woke me up. I won't be caught off guard again.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I'm still without power but I have a generator so I was able to save my fridge and deep freezer full of food. That was my main concern.

This storm caught me off guard in the worst way. I was tired as hell on Thursday night and accidentally dozed off around 10. I meant to fill up my gas tank before it got too late.

Next thing you know, my lady wakes me up at 1:30 am talking about the power was out. I'm like, "The power is out!! Oh shit!" So I jump up and the wind sounds like a fucking train outside. Tornado?? I looked outside and it was pitch dark. The only thing I could see was the difference between the sky and the trees violently swaying back and forth.

She tells me, "The storm turned and it's coming straight for us." I'm like, "WTF!!!" So I check my weather app and it still says Tornado Watch, not a warning. Then some branches start knocking up against the window and my 7 year old daughter starts crying. So I'm telling everybody to go to the hallway.

Meanwhile, it's lightning but I don't hear any thunder. And the lightning is making the sky aqua blue when it lights up. Then I realize those are transformers lighting up! I'm like, "Fuck!!"

So I looked back at the weather app and look at the radar. Then I realized that we were on the outskirts of the storm, not the center. So I opened my blinds and was just staring at the trees and studying the wind gusts.....

Then I started to chill. I said, fuck it, I'm gonna roll up. So I open my backdoor and just watched the trees dance while I calmed my nerves...

Then I went in my bedroom and opened my windows. I laid there, still tired as fuck. It's 4:30 am at this point. I closed my eyes and felt the breeze coming through. I was like, "Shidddd....this wind feels good!" Each gust felt like I was at the beach on a windy day.

So I fell back asleep. Woke up around 8am. Went outside. Tree branches everywhere! But no damage to the house, no fallen trees, we were lucky.

The power was completely out in the whole town. No gas, no ice, no food at first. But now, people are starting to get their power back. The businesses are slowly opening back up. I'm hearing that most people's power should be back by the 2nd. At first I was hearing it would be a month. Now, it seems like my power will probably be back in the next few days.

This one woke me up. I won't be caught off guard again.

Yeah, I remember your area had a lot of tornado warnings. All this stuff was happening at night so it makes it scarier. This storm was a wake up call for a lot of people.

There was so much different type of severe weather happening. I just really hearing about how different parts of GA got messed up.

I’m glad you and your family is doing ok. That’s one to remember.

Coldchi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah, I remember your area had a lot of tornado warnings. All this stuff was happening at night so it makes it scarier. This storm was a wake up call for a lot of people.

There was so much different type of severe weather happening. I just really hearing about how different parts of GA got messed up.

yeah my brothers are like deep down in south GA....like 45 mins NW of Jacksonville.
wasn't much structural damage,....but the mass amount of pine trees that they have down there made it bad.
trees down on every other street,....and of course those trees fell on power lines.
They actually sent the mass majority of their power crews to go stage up in Florida to assist them when they got hit,....not knowing the hurricane
would affect where my brother lives as bad as it did. So the town is in the dark and their power crew is in FL.
So its like damn......do u abandon the people you are currently helping in FL and return to GA to assist your own people?
Or just leave your GA folk suffering until you're done in FL? Its a fucked up situation all the way around.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
yeah my brothers are like deep down in south GA....like 45 mins NW of Jacksonville.
wasn't much structural damage,....but the mass amount of pine trees that they have down there made it bad.
trees down on every other street,....and of course those trees fell on power lines.
They actually sent the mass majority of their power crews to go stage up in Florida to assist them when they got hit,....not knowing the hurricane
would affect where my brother lives as bad as it did. So the town is in the dark and their power crew is in FL.
So its like damn......do u abandon the people you are currently helping in FL and return to GA to assist your own people?
Or just leave your GA folk suffering until you're done in FL? Its a fucked up situation all the way around.

Emergency and utilities crews are stretched thin. It’s a reminder how fragile our society is when a multi-state disaster occurs.

It’s good that utilities crews didn’t set up in the mountains where it could have been real bad.

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Man y’all folks out in White Oak or something?

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
swamp country..............Waycross, Ga. (Ware Co.)
the city is majority black.....but cacs populate the rural county areas.
largest county in the state of GA.

Oh I know about that place…

So I went to Valdosta for a big rim race event at the track. I left Kingsland and went 95 to I10 then up in I75 to Valdosta…

After the race was over, I saw it was shorter thru Cecil… was like 25mins shorter, man this was at like 11pm straight back roads…

Kinfolk, I was soooo mad at myself. This was dark roads with nothing on them…. When I got to waycross, I was so fucking happy to see a McDonalds. Then a ninjas was running around in a box….lmao

Let’s just say I ain’t doing that shit again…

I was like mannn if something happens, that shit on me…

“Man at some point I missed a turn and the gps rerouted me thru a field o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

easy_b

Easy_b is in the place to be.
BGOL Investor
People thought that western North Carolina and eastern Tennessee was be a safe Haven from climate change…..No, you are not safe from climate change on this earth. You just hope not to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Some of these areas are going to be a little tough to get at because (A) some of the towns is no longer there and (B) some of the towns have no in and no way out. Climate scientist from the 80s and 90s was stating that this was going to happen. A lot of them thought this was going to happen around 2050 or 2100 but as I keep telling you guys things is accelerating very quickly.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Here is the last 7-day rain distribution for NC and surrounding states. Helene dropped +20 inches in some parts.

daily-168.jpg

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Death toll up to 132

easy_b

BGOL Investor
Man they still looking for missing people damn
A lot of those people got swept away. I hate to say it, but I seen some of the video that water was moving tractor trailers like toys so I know what it did the human beings. Again, a lot of white people got a huge wake up. Call about climate change. Rest in peace to the decease.

easy_b

BGOL Investor
Repubs are trying to rip the administration in charge and trying to shame Biden into showing up almost a week late
Even a lot of Republicans are coming out and saying that Biden been doing his shit to assist them. I don’t like this motherfucker, but at least he is telling the truth

Last edited:

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Death toll triples in Asheville area after Hurricane Helene guts North Carolina: ‘There were bodies in the trees’

“There were bodies in trees. They were finding bodies under rubble,” said Alyssa Hudson, whose home of Black Mountain — a village of 8,400 people about 12 miles from Asheville — was all but destroyed.

By Jared Downing
Sep. 30, 2024

drone-view-shows-damaged-area-90737587_6007d2.jpg

208318240_208318240-5fd0f7fa60934c70a5de2dc0909a817c_t800.jpg

huricane-helene-1.jpg

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Starting to feel like Katrina 2.0

Hurricane Helene scrambles politics in 3 battleground states

BY ALEXANDER BOLTON
10/01/24

The 500-milelong path of destruction cut by Hurricane Helene has scrambled the politics of three battleground states that could determine control of the White House and Senate: North Carolina, Georgia and Florida.

Both former President Trump and Vice President Harris abruptly changed their campaign plans to refocus their attention on states hit hard by a storm that spanned 350 miles, with winds reaching 140 miles per hour, that has left more than 100 confirmed deaths so far.

The storm’s damage has drawn early comparisons to Katrina, the hurricane that killed more than 1,000 people in New Orleans and surrounding Louisiana in 2005 and became an albatross for then-President George W. Bush.

In races that could be decided by a few thousand, or even a few hundred, votes, any response that could be perceived as uncaring, tone-deaf or incompetent could be devastating.

“The burden is on President Biden’s shoulders, because his reputation now with many voters is that he’s only marginally up to the job. Anything that seems a bit slow, even if it’s not slow … will have some political fallout for him and those associated with him. So I think the burden is clearly on the shoulder of the Democrats,” said Stephen Smith, a political science professor at Washington University in St. Louis.

“There’s a tendency to just blame everyone in power if things don’t go as people expect them to,” he added. “I do think that the administration and the Harris campaign are hypersensitive about how things went with Katrina, and they’ll do everything possible to be visible and active in their response.”

Biden says he’ll visit Western North Carolina, which was hardest hit by the storm, later this week and announced that Congress will need to pass a supplemental funding bill to replenish disaster relief accounts, which lawmakers failed to do before leaving town last week.

Harris, meanwhile, cut short a campaign trip in Nevada on Monday to fly back to Washington and plans to visit the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s (FEMA) headquarters to get updates on the federal disaster response.

The federal government’s response has already become a political football, with Trump claiming during a visit to Valdosta, Ga., that Gov. Brian Kemp (R) couldn’t get in touch with Biden, though Kemp had told reporters earlier Monday that he had already spoken to the president.

The White House issued a state-of-emergency declaration for Georgia, at Kemp’s request, shortly before making landfall.

“He has been calling the president, but has not been able to get him,” Trump said of Kemp during a press conference.

But that claim was knocked down by Kemp, who said he spoke to Biden on Sunday evening. The president asked him, “Hey, what do you need?” Kemp said.

Looming over the political jockeying are the memories of the Bush administration’s botched response to Katrina, which was epitomized by the president’s tin-eared praise of then-FEMA Director Michael D. Brown amid a disorganized federal relief effort.

“What really hurt George Bush in 2005 as we all remember can be put down to one phrase: ‘Heck of a job, Brownie,’” said Steven Greene, a political science professor at North Carolina State University, which is not in the part of the state that was significantly hit.

“I’m not even sure how bad or not-bad the government response was, but we very quickly developed a narrative that the Bush administration had bungled it,” he said.

“They want to not screw up. They want to show they are taking this sufficiently seriously and avoid any ‘Good job, Brownie’ moments,” Greene said of Biden and Harris.

Before Bush suffered the political fallout from Katrina that hung over his second term, his father, President George H.W. Bush, was harshly criticized for responding too slowly to Hurricane Andrew, a Category 5 storm, which slammed into Florida in August of 1992.

Now, Republicans are looking to put Biden and Harris on the defensive, questioning their minute-by-minute movements over the weekend.

“Democrats invented hurricane politics and now Democrats might get burned by it. You’ve got millions without power, you’ve got tens of thousands who’ve lost everything. On the ground, that’s certainly going to weigh on the election results, particularly when you’re talking about Georgia, North Carolina that will be decided by tens of thousands of votes,” said Ford O’Connell, a Republican strategist and veteran of presidential campaigns.

Political experts and strategists note that most of government response will be handled by the governors: two Republicans and one Democrat….

And the good news for Biden and Harris is that all three of them are experienced hands: North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper (D), who was on the shortlist to be Harris’s running mate; Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R), who challenged Trump for the GOP nomination; and Kemp, whom some Republicans wanted to run for president.

All three leaders have been on top of the federal response and in close coordination with FEMA Administrator Deanne Criswell, who’s on the ground in North Carolina.

On a more granular level, strategists are fretting over how the displacement of thousands of voters — both in the Republican-dominated areas of Western Florida, the Florida panhandle and rural Western North Carolina, as well as the Democratic-leaning North Carolina towns of Asheville and Boone in North Carolina — will impact voter turnout.

Christopher Dean, a North Carolina-based political consultant, noted that in-person early voting in his state begins Oct. 17.

“It’s all about turnout and how this is going to affect turnout,” he said, pointing out there are many Democratic voters in Asheville and Boone, the home of Appalachian State University. But he pointed out that surrounding rural areas are strongly Republican.

“Gov. Cooper has done an excellent job of staying on top of it,” he said. “Cooper’s office is always in local news, always talking more, so they’re breaking through more than the federal government.”

On Monday, Florida Sen. Rick Scott (R), who’s in a tough race with former Rep. Debbie Mucarsel-Powell (D), went on offense by demanding Democrats reconvene the Senate to pass disaster relief.

He said Congress should act as soon as FEMA and the Small Business Administration tally up how much federal disaster relief is needed in Florida and other ravaged communities.

“I am today urging Majority Leader Chuck Schumer to immediately reconvene the U.S. Senate when those assessments are completed so that we can pass the clean supplemental disaster funding bill and other disaster relief legislation,” he said.

The Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee announced last week it would launch a multimillion-dollar TV advertising campaign in Florida in hopes of defeating Scott in a race where abortion politics are looming prominently. Democrats increasingly think that beating Scott in Florida or Sen. Ted Cruz (R) in Texas may be the key to keeping their Senate majority given the tough road to reelection faced by Montana Sen. Jon Tester (D).

Senate Agriculture Committee Chair Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich.) responded later in the day by calling for emergency assistance for farmers and ranchers throughout the Southeast.

“I’m focused on ensuring that these farmers and ranchers get the emergency assistance they need to get back on their feet as soon as possible,” she said in a statement.

cbsn-fusion-biden-harris-hit-campaign-trail-trump-appears-florida-court-thumbnail.jpg

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
my homie in Augusta just got power and water restored yesterday.
but he said its still over 50% of the city without power. people are getting desperate and looting.
My brother said they'll were told they will be without power til at least the 5th....the entire city is without power except for a Walmart and 2 gas stations.
internet is down,....so unless you have cash, you can't buy shit.
Oh cash is king you say.. like I tell everyone all you need is 1 lil glitch and all the card/ phone dependent people who only pay through those things would be assed out.. here’s another example on why cash is king

cashwhisperer

My favorite key is E♭
BGOL Investor

Yeah bruh,

Luckily we only had Tornado Watches, but no Warnings came up for our area. I was a lil shook and almost had a breakdown when my daughter started crying....I couldn't see shit outside! I thought about going to a shelter but it was too late!! We were in it!!

But again, we were lucky. I heard Valdosta was GONE! Hazelhurst got fucked up. Augusta got fucked up too. I haven't heard much about Tallahassee but I think they got really fucked up too.

Thanks bruh, we're all okay. But now we're preparing for Joyce PLUS this Port Strike. My family is in the car now waiting on some food from this Jamaican Food Truck and we are on the way to Walmart AGAIN!! I just paid 50 for another gas can for this generator. Been buying gas all week. Shit is a TRIP!

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Lawmakers stunned as disaster funds left out of stopgap bill

Congress approved a funding patch Wednesday without supplemental disaster money, even as Hurricane Helene bears down on Florida.

By Andres Picon
09/26/2024

A pair of destructive hurricanes along the Gulf Coast, an explosion of wildfires across the West and urgent pleas from Democrats and the White House this month were not enough to persuade Congress to secure new funding for disaster victims.

The House and Senate kicked off a six-week preelection recess Wednesday evening after passing a government funding extension that left out billions of dollars in requested supplemental disaster funding — even as Hurricane Helene, expected to grow into a Category 3 storm by Thursday evening, careened toward the Florida Panhandle.

The bipartisan continuing resolution passed the House on Wednesday on a 341-82 vote and hours later passed the Senate on a 78-18 vote. When President Joe Biden signs it, it will keep federal agencies open through Dec. 20, providing funding extensions for a range of federal programs, including the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

But some lawmakers from disaster-prone states — on both sides of the aisle — were aghast this week at the lack of additional dollars for FEMA’s already depleted disaster relief fund and other federal disaster programs. Many of them were incensed that the typically bipartisan priority had fallen victim to partisan squabbles at such a dire time.

Indeed, as the House and Senate’s top four leaders met last weekend to negotiate a deal to keep the government funded, they were forced to acquiesce to the demands of Congress’ most conservative fiscal hawks, whose votes were thought to be pivotal for passage. They quietly stripped the CR of almost all supplemental funding, including for FEMA, according to multiple House appropriators.

The closed-door negotiations left many of Congress’ biggest disaster aid advocates surprised and disappointed, and even top appropriators with jurisdiction over disaster funding said they were blindsided.

“I would have thought that if you were going to do something, disaster funding would’ve been one of the starting points. I have no idea how they got to that,” Rep. Mark Amodei (R-Nev.), chair of the House Homeland Security Appropriations Subcommittee, which funds FEMA, told POLITICO’s E&E News.

“They didn’t call me in and ask me for any advice,” he said. “Can you believe that?”

The funding omission was made all the more striking by the fact that lawmakers were leaving Washington two days ahead of schedule, in part because of the hurricane.

And some members, like Rep. Matt Gaetz, a Florida Republican who has resisted efforts to preemptively appropriate disaster dollars, voted against the CR.

“The right-wingers here, the MAGA crowd, even after disasters happen, they have opposed disaster aid for communities in need,” said a frustrated Rep. Kathy Castor (D-Fla.).

“I’m fearful of it because we’ve lived through it a number of times,” she added. “Even members from Florida after a disaster have opposed initial aid going in, and it’s not the way to have a government function, or FEMA function. It’s not right.”

Sen. Rick Scott (R-Fla.) skipped the vote to be in Florida ahead of Helene’s landfall but supports new funding to refill FEMA’s disaster fund.

Disaster funds in crisis

tropical-weather-89655.jpg

Hurricane Helene in the Gulf of Mexico on Wednesday.

FEMA’s disaster relief fund is staring down a nearly $2 billion deficit at the end of the month, and the agency has been in “immediate-needs” mode for weeks, having to hold back billions of dollars that could go to rebuilding projects in order to support more urgent life-saving work.

The CR approved Wednesday would extend FEMA’s current funding level through Dec. 20, and would allow the agency to more quickly draw from that funding to meet current needs. But the agency’s latest monthly report projects that money from the CR will last only through January and that the fund will still face a $3 billion deficit by February.

Florida Democratic Rep. Jared Moskowitz, one of Congress’ biggest boosters of disaster aid, said FEMA has a backlog of roughly $8 billion that it has been unable to dole out to states since early August.

The CR will allow FEMA to begin reimbursing states for money they have spent to rebuild during that time, he said, but that will cut into next year’s disaster response efforts.

“This problem, we’re gonna have to fix it again in December, because right now we’re basically robbing Peter to pay Paul by taking money from fiscal year ’25 to solve fiscal year ’24,” he said.

u-s-congress-98306.jpg

Rep. Jared Moskowitz (D-Fla.) outside the Capitol.

Other federal disaster programs like the Department of Housing and Urban Development’s disaster block grant program known as CDBG-DR, the Small Business Administration’s disaster loans program and the Federal Highway Administration’s disaster recovery account are all in need of help. The CR that Congress approved Wednesday does not provide any of them with any new money.

The White House backed the bipartisan stopgap this week but blasted the omission of supplemental funding for disaster relief — especially for the SBA’s disaster loans program, which it said would essentially cease to function this fall.

“I am concerned that communities will suffer because the arc of their recovery will drag out longer because the money isn’t there,” said Andy Winkler, who leads the Bipartisan Policy Center’s task force on disaster response reform.

“There are needs outstanding from last year and it becomes really difficult,” he said. Federal disaster programs “have no money in the bank, essentially, to help people in supporting these long-term recovery and rebuilding efforts.”

Seeking to avoid defections on the votes, congressional leaders also decided not to include an authorization for a 100 percent federal cost share for the rebuilding of Baltimore’s Francis Scott Key Bridge, which collapsed earlier this year, disappointing members of the Maryland delegation.

Congress similarly left out an extension of federal pipeline safety programs, which are due to expire at the end of the month; a program to compensate victims of nuclear radiation exposure, which lapsed in June; and a program to protect chemical facilities from terrorist attacks, which expired more than a year ago. It remains unclear how those programs will be reauthorized.

The CR does extend the National Flood Insurance Program.

Aid removed ‘in good faith’

u-s-congress-54596.jpg

House Appropriations Chair Tom Cole (R-Okla.) and ranking member Rosa DeLauro (D-Conn.) this week.

In what felt like a gut punch to Congress’ biggest disaster aid backers, congressional leaders opted to remove a $10 billion supplemental infusion for FEMA that House conservatives had added to their opening bid to extend government funding.

The previous iteration of the CR, which the House defeated last week, included that sum — half of what the White House requested — to help replenish the agency’s disaster fund as Hurricane Francine was barreling toward Louisiana, the home state of House Speaker Mike Johnson and Majority Leader Steve Scalise.

Some Democrats from states affected by recent disasters complained that it was not enough and called for funding for the other disaster programs, too. Many Republicans, trying to unite behind the conservative proposal, panned the looming disaster funding cliff, and the rider was ultimately removed over the weekend.

House Appropriations Chair Tom Cole (R-Okla.) and ranking member Rosa DeLauro (D-Conn.) both expressed disappointment that the supplemental funding had been struck — especially since in the end, Congress didn’t need the votes of conservatives opposed to new disaster funding for passage.

Yet amid the finger-pointing this week, the top House appropriators appeared to have accepted the fact that removing the funding was a necessary part of the negotiations.

“It was done in good faith,” Cole said. “The sense was let’s keep it as clean as we can; that maximizes the votes on the floor. I don’t regret the decision. To me, disaster funding should not be a partisan issue ever, but sometimes it is.”

He noted that Democrats “would have liked some additional things in the bill they didn’t insist on.”

Asked for her thoughts on the disaster funding gap, DeLauro said she wished funding had been included, “but we needed to negotiate this, and we did.”

“We got the three months, there’s no ‘SAVE Act,’ no across-the-board cuts,” she said, referring to a conservative bill that would require proof of citizenship to vote. “Some things I would have been happier if they were there, but there we go.”

senate-transportation-budget-38969.jpg

Sen. Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii), a top Senate appropriator, has been pushing for wildfire and other disaster funding.

Sen. Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii), chair of the Senate Transportation-HUD Appropriations Subcommittee, gave an impassioned floor speech Wednesday asking his colleagues not to abandon disaster aid.

He was upset about the lack of new funding in the CR on Wednesday and indicated that while there is still time to approve some later this year, his patience is wearing thin. He suggested he could block action on a year-end legislation if it does not include disaster relief.

“For a short-term spending vehicle, I’m not gonna get in the way of it,” he said before Wednesday’s vote. “But I will not be cooperative if history repeats itself.”

‘We’re not done’

Already, lawmakers on both sides of the aisle were beginning to turn their attention to the post-election lame duck session, eyeing a possible supplemental funding package to take care of the disaster funding shortfall before the end of the year.

Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.), chair of the Senate Homeland Security Appropriations Subcommittee, said regardless of the vehicle, “it is going to have to be a red-alert priority in December.”

But even that Plan B is ambitious. Congress will be scrambling to finish work on fiscal 2025 appropriations, the annual defense policy bill and the farm bill, and there’s no guarantee that lawmakers will be able to find the time — let alone the political will — to make it happen.

Part of the resistance comes from some conservative lawmakers who say they prefer to wait until after disasters occur to pass new disaster funding so that they can have a better picture of the costs.

Most Democrats and emergency management experts off Capitol Hill say that approach results in communities receiving too little funding, often months or years late. Maui, for example, still has not received HUD funding to rebuild homes destroyed by the wildfires because Congress has not appropriated it.

Republican Sen. Marco Rubio told reporters Wednesday that action to refill federal disaster coffers was long overdue.

“We’re gonna continue to have more potential natural disasters between now and December or into next year,” he said. “Even this may not be enough, but it should have been done months ago.”

“We’re not done,” he said about the disaster funding fight.

Coldchi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Lawmakers stunned as disaster funds left out of stopgap bill

Congress approved a funding patch Wednesday without supplemental disaster money, even as Hurricane Helene bears down on Florida.

By Andres Picon
09/26/2024

A pair of destructive hurricanes along the Gulf Coast, an explosion of wildfires across the West and urgent pleas from Democrats and the White House this month were not enough to persuade Congress to secure new funding for disaster victims.

The House and Senate kicked off a six-week preelection recess Wednesday evening after passing a government funding extension that left out billions of dollars in requested supplemental disaster funding — even as Hurricane Helene, expected to grow into a Category 3 storm by Thursday evening, careened toward the Florida Panhandle.

The bipartisan continuing resolution passed the House on Wednesday on a 341-82 vote and hours later passed the Senate on a 78-18 vote. When President Joe Biden signs it, it will keep federal agencies open through Dec. 20, providing funding extensions for a range of federal programs, including the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

But some lawmakers from disaster-prone states — on both sides of the aisle — were aghast this week at the lack of additional dollars for FEMA’s already depleted disaster relief fund and other federal disaster programs. Many of them were incensed that the typically bipartisan priority had fallen victim to partisan squabbles at such a dire time.

Indeed, as the House and Senate’s top four leaders met last weekend to negotiate a deal to keep the government funded, they were forced to acquiesce to the demands of Congress’ most conservative fiscal hawks, whose votes were thought to be pivotal for passage. They quietly stripped the CR of almost all supplemental funding, including for FEMA, according to multiple House appropriators.

The closed-door negotiations left many of Congress’ biggest disaster aid advocates surprised and disappointed, and even top appropriators with jurisdiction over disaster funding said they were blindsided.

“I would have thought that if you were going to do something, disaster funding would’ve been one of the starting points. I have no idea how they got to that,” Rep. Mark Amodei (R-Nev.), chair of the House Homeland Security Appropriations Subcommittee, which funds FEMA, told POLITICO’s E&E News.

“They didn’t call me in and ask me for any advice,” he said. “Can you believe that?”

The funding omission was made all the more striking by the fact that lawmakers were leaving Washington two days ahead of schedule, in part because of the hurricane.

And some members, like Rep. Matt Gaetz, a Florida Republican who has resisted efforts to preemptively appropriate disaster dollars, voted against the CR.

“The right-wingers here, the MAGA crowd, even after disasters happen, they have opposed disaster aid for communities in need,” said a frustrated Rep. Kathy Castor (D-Fla.).

“I’m fearful of it because we’ve lived through it a number of times,” she added. “Even members from Florida after a disaster have opposed initial aid going in, and it’s not the way to have a government function, or FEMA function. It’s not right.”

Sen. Rick Scott (R-Fla.) skipped the vote to be in Florida ahead of Helene’s landfall but supports new funding to refill FEMA’s disaster fund.

Disaster funds in crisis

tropical-weather-89655.jpg

Hurricane Helene in the Gulf of Mexico on Wednesday.

FEMA’s disaster relief fund is staring down a nearly $2 billion deficit at the end of the month, and the agency has been in “immediate-needs” mode for weeks, having to hold back billions of dollars that could go to rebuilding projects in order to support more urgent life-saving work.

The CR approved Wednesday would extend FEMA’s current funding level through Dec. 20, and would allow the agency to more quickly draw from that funding to meet current needs. But the agency’s latest monthly report projects that money from the CR will last only through January and that the fund will still face a $3 billion deficit by February.

Florida Democratic Rep. Jared Moskowitz, one of Congress’ biggest boosters of disaster aid, said FEMA has a backlog of roughly $8 billion that it has been unable to dole out to states since early August.

The CR will allow FEMA to begin reimbursing states for money they have spent to rebuild during that time, he said, but that will cut into next year’s disaster response efforts.

“This problem, we’re gonna have to fix it again in December, because right now we’re basically robbing Peter to pay Paul by taking money from fiscal year ’25 to solve fiscal year ’24,” he said.

u-s-congress-98306.jpg

Rep. Jared Moskowitz (D-Fla.) outside the Capitol.

Other federal disaster programs like the Department of Housing and Urban Development’s disaster block grant program known as CDBG-DR, the Small Business Administration’s disaster loans program and the Federal Highway Administration’s disaster recovery account are all in need of help. The CR that Congress approved Wednesday does not provide any of them with any new money.

The White House backed the bipartisan stopgap this week but blasted the omission of supplemental funding for disaster relief — especially for the SBA’s disaster loans program, which it said would essentially cease to function this fall.

“I am concerned that communities will suffer because the arc of their recovery will drag out longer because the money isn’t there,” said Andy Winkler, who leads the Bipartisan Policy Center’s task force on disaster response reform.

“There are needs outstanding from last year and it becomes really difficult,” he said. Federal disaster programs “have no money in the bank, essentially, to help people in supporting these long-term recovery and rebuilding efforts.”

Seeking to avoid defections on the votes, congressional leaders also decided not to include an authorization for a 100 percent federal cost share for the rebuilding of Baltimore’s Francis Scott Key Bridge, which collapsed earlier this year, disappointing members of the Maryland delegation.

Congress similarly left out an extension of federal pipeline safety programs, which are due to expire at the end of the month; a program to compensate victims of nuclear radiation exposure, which lapsed in June; and a program to protect chemical facilities from terrorist attacks, which expired more than a year ago. It remains unclear how those programs will be reauthorized.

The CR does extend the National Flood Insurance Program.

Aid removed ‘in good faith’

u-s-congress-54596.jpg

House Appropriations Chair Tom Cole (R-Okla.) and ranking member Rosa DeLauro (D-Conn.) this week.

In what felt like a gut punch to Congress’ biggest disaster aid backers, congressional leaders opted to remove a $10 billion supplemental infusion for FEMA that House conservatives had added to their opening bid to extend government funding.

The previous iteration of the CR, which the House defeated last week, included that sum — half of what the White House requested — to help replenish the agency’s disaster fund as Hurricane Francine was barreling toward Louisiana, the home state of House Speaker Mike Johnson and Majority Leader Steve Scalise.

Some Democrats from states affected by recent disasters complained that it was not enough and called for funding for the other disaster programs, too. Many Republicans, trying to unite behind the conservative proposal, panned the looming disaster funding cliff, and the rider was ultimately removed over the weekend.

House Appropriations Chair Tom Cole (R-Okla.) and ranking member Rosa DeLauro (D-Conn.) both expressed disappointment that the supplemental funding had been struck — especially since in the end, Congress didn’t need the votes of conservatives opposed to new disaster funding for passage.

Yet amid the finger-pointing this week, the top House appropriators appeared to have accepted the fact that removing the funding was a necessary part of the negotiations.

“It was done in good faith,” Cole said. “The sense was let’s keep it as clean as we can; that maximizes the votes on the floor. I don’t regret the decision. To me, disaster funding should not be a partisan issue ever, but sometimes it is.”

He noted that Democrats “would have liked some additional things in the bill they didn’t insist on.”

Asked for her thoughts on the disaster funding gap, DeLauro said she wished funding had been included, “but we needed to negotiate this, and we did.”

“We got the three months, there’s no ‘SAVE Act,’ no across-the-board cuts,” she said, referring to a conservative bill that would require proof of citizenship to vote. “Some things I would have been happier if they were there, but there we go.”

senate-transportation-budget-38969.jpg

Sen. Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii), a top Senate appropriator, has been pushing for wildfire and other disaster funding.

Sen. Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii), chair of the Senate Transportation-HUD Appropriations Subcommittee, gave an impassioned floor speech Wednesday asking his colleagues not to abandon disaster aid.

He was upset about the lack of new funding in the CR on Wednesday and indicated that while there is still time to approve some later this year, his patience is wearing thin. He suggested he could block action on a year-end legislation if it does not include disaster relief.

“For a short-term spending vehicle, I’m not gonna get in the way of it,” he said before Wednesday’s vote. “But I will not be cooperative if history repeats itself.”

‘We’re not done’

Already, lawmakers on both sides of the aisle were beginning to turn their attention to the post-election lame duck session, eyeing a possible supplemental funding package to take care of the disaster funding shortfall before the end of the year.

Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.), chair of the Senate Homeland Security Appropriations Subcommittee, said regardless of the vehicle, “it is going to have to be a red-alert priority in December.”

But even that Plan B is ambitious. Congress will be scrambling to finish work on fiscal 2025 appropriations, the annual defense policy bill and the farm bill, and there’s no guarantee that lawmakers will be able to find the time — let alone the political will — to make it happen.

Part of the resistance comes from some conservative lawmakers who say they prefer to wait until after disasters occur to pass new disaster funding so that they can have a better picture of the costs.

Most Democrats and emergency management experts off Capitol Hill say that approach results in communities receiving too little funding, often months or years late. Maui, for example, still has not received HUD funding to rebuild homes destroyed by the wildfires because Congress has not appropriated it.

Republican Sen. Marco Rubio told reporters Wednesday that action to refill federal disaster coffers was long overdue.

“We’re gonna continue to have more potential natural disasters between now and December or into next year,” he said. “Even this may not be enough, but it should have been done months ago.”

“We’re not done,” he said about the disaster funding fight.
No money for disaster relief but plenty for Israel and Ukraine.