2024 Chicago Bears Season Thread

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
Nevermind that, his off field antics aside... Dude has a legit arm, the problem at SC was their line was shit. But I saw Caleb step up in the pocket and go through progressions to throw darts. In college, QBs usually bail and run when their line is shit. The fact that he's comfortable doing what allot of QBs in the league need years to do is impressive. The maturity issues are for sure a concern, but his ability to make throws is not.
Yea a big portion of the unknowns with him are from the neck up. I don't really mean that he's crazy, but I'm wondering if he's more Jay Cutler on gameday, decision making-wise.

Notre Dame's D made him look stupid he threw some bad picks and he wasn't great against the best teams on the schedule.

Mt. Yukon

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yea a big portion of the unknowns with him are from the neck up. I don't really mean that he's crazy, but I'm wondering if he's more Jay Cutler on gameday, decision making-wise.

Notre Dame's D made him look stupid he threw some bad picks and he wasn't great against the best teams on the schedule.
Indeed. But keep it a buck... If you put them in UCLAs unis instead of SCs... How great did that team as a whole look around him??? That pre season ranking based on the year before had allot of us thinking that SC team was better than it actually was. Still no excuse for some of the throws he made in the ND game in particular. But I feel like the same level of grace we extend to other good QBs on avg teams isn't going to him and I think it has more to do with his antics than his talent. All I'm trying to say.

c_commander

Up and Coming Asshole
BGOL Investor
Keep in mind we have a terrible history drafting qb's, we have no luck period. This sticks out like a sore thumb.
They grabbed Allen, I figured that was a good sign to keep Fields draft down get an extra pick or 2 and get MHJR.
I am far from a GM, so my opinion ain't shit. I do know repetition and we consistently draft failure qbs.
Damn near every team in the NFL consistently drafts failure QBs. I'm in my 40's and in my lifetime the 49ers have had a couple of successes in guys they drafted along with the Patriots, Dolphins, Packers, Bengals, Colts and Cowboys and I'm sure that I may be missing 1 or 2 more,. It's a crapshoot that most teams fail with. People don't talk about the Chiefs because of Mahomes but prior to him the last QB that they drafted who was good was Len Dawson. Have the Saints ever had a successful QB draftee? They lucked up and signed Drew Brees after the Dolphins medical staff wouldn't greenlight it.
Teams hope to get lucky with one and then they don't have to worry about it for the next decade or so.

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
Indeed. But keep it a buck... If you put them in UCLAs unis instead of SCs... How great did that team as a whole look around him??? That pre season ranking based on the year before had allot of us thinking that SC team was better than it actually was. Still no excuse for some of the throws he made in the ND game in particular. But I feel like the same level of grace we extend to other good QBs on avg teams isn't going to him and I think it has more to do with his antics than his talent. All I'm trying to say.
Yea I hear you...

I guess no matter what direction you come from with the facts of the situation: It's all a big unknown. He's talented, but didn't win big -- for different reasons. You just never know how a QB is actually going to translate from college to the NFL.

The past is kind of meaningless at this stage. If dude comes in humble, works his ass off to be a good teammate, and wins no one will be complaining.

c_commander

Up and Coming Asshole
BGOL Investor
Last jersey I bought was a Tommie Harris authentic the Super bowl year. I may buy a Sweetness, or Sayers one. But I been done with current player jerseys. :lol:
I have a Peanut Tillman jersey. I may get a Fields jersey for the low but I want to get either a Walter Payton jersey or possibly a Neal Anderson to do something different.

cold-n-cocky

BGOL vet down since the “56k stay out!” days
BGOL Gold Member
Last jersey I bought was a Tommie Harris authentic the Super bowl year. I may buy a Sweetness, or Sayers one. But I been done with current player jerseys. :lol:
I’ve got a Hester jersey off GP, but my rule is I’m not wearing jersey of no dude younger than me, which basically means my jersey days are over lol

Last edited:

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor

I was close to buying a Khalil and then a Roquan....

and then last year at the beginning of the year I got caught up in the hype and was about to buy a Justin. :smh:

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor

Look at his stats for last year

That was a off year with a bad offensive line...

They also didn't have NFL talent on offense around him.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
I was a big Fields fan......poles came in and started the rebuild of the team.....first getting rid of some pro bowl linebackers and others....he didn't get fields any real help to show his talents ....but every blame's Field for our losing seasons....now last season they stated getting some real talent..... Sweat....Dj.... and now this year.......but get rid of Fields:angry:
I wish him well...... The Chicago Bears.....where quarterback go to die....
:smh:

Nobody blamed Justin

You have to face the facts

In a lot of those games we were in them in the fourth. Justin didn't produce. He was the 31st ranked QB when it mattered at the end of games.

I think the issue is that our QB's have been so bad, that a lot of you can't be impartial. You're satisfied with mediocrity, because mediocrity is our good. What did Justin do good? Run? What were his improvements over the past three years? Going through progressions? Getting the ball out? Somewhat. He really got exposed when Bagent went out there and wasn't being sacked six and seven times a game. He proved the notion that sacks aren't necessarily an offensive line stat.

With this, you see how others around the league view Justin. They'd rather get JJ McCarthy. They're rather get a washed Russell Wilson.

c_commander

Up and Coming Asshole
BGOL Investor
Supposedly the Bears took less to do right by Fields and send him to a better situation than whatever other team was interested

DJ

BGOL Legend
Certified Pussy Poster
Oh I'm aware lol. That's why I'm in show-me mode. I thought I knew what was best, obviously Poles & the front office disagree.

I usually have a pretty optimistic vision going into the season, but my mind is blank right now. I feel like JF was the heart of the team and it feels too strange replacing him with someone as juvy as Williams appears. But hey, I'm open minded enough to be won over with wins.

Hopefully this doesn't mess with the team culture and chemistry too much.

One thing, have we ever had an outright pick of the first pick? This is the first time where it's not up to our own devices.

Trading down doesn't assure you're going to make the right pick, because some are saying Nabors might be better than Harrison Jr.

I amntrying to remain optimistic. I just don't see the point or understand why you would put the team in a potential Ryan Leaf situation, especially when they really did nothing to protect Fields. His performance was pretty damn good based on what he was given to work with and I would have liked to see the Bears continue to build around him.

Like I said I ain't no gm, no coach and at the end of the day I really might not know shit about football other than what I believe. This is going to make or break the Bears and either way the decision will absolutely goe down in history as one of the best or worst moves ever.

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
I amntrying to remain optimistic. I just don't see the point or understand why you would put the team in a potential Ryan Leaf situation, especially when they really did nothing to protect Fields. His performance was pretty damn good based on what he was given to work with and I would have liked to see the Bears continue to build around him.

Like I said I ain't no gm, no coach and at the end of the day I really might not know shit about football other than what I believe. This is going to make or break the Bears and either way the decision will absolutely goe down in history as one of the best or worst moves ever.
The Poles post-draft presser will be interesting to hear. He's got some convincing to do.

Madrox

Vaya Con Dio
BGOL Investor
It's going to be interesting.
The BS already starting, CW don't wanna sign off on medical, no workouts, his pop is a clown asking for ownership deals.
From the outside looking in, just way too many red flags.
Well this Wed is his pro day so he got to give all that up. I think things go as-normal here on out and the Bears draft him no issues, but who knows man.

c_commander

Up and Coming Asshole
BGOL Investor

The more sports videos that I see on TikTok the more I see people who make videos and don't have a fucking clue. Most parrot the same crap that we've all seen on the internet and then for every person that seems to have some level of knowledge are a couple of people who are idiots.
I saw a video where someone predicted the first 2 rounds of the NFL draft. They had Carolina picking at #9 and then in the comments said that they had the Bears trading #9 for their 2nd round pick this year and their 2nd round pick next year. Mind you the Bears already have the Panthers 2nd round pick next year from the trade for the #1 last year

c_commander

Up and Coming Asshole
BGOL Investor
It's going to be interesting.
The BS already starting, CW don't wanna sign off on medical, no workouts, his pop is a clown asking for ownership deals.
From the outside looking in, just way too many red flags.
Why are you repeating a random internet report? The ownership crap is some shit that popped up on Twitter from some random. And he already stated that teams with a legitimate chance of drafting him would get the medical on top of him working out at his pro day instead of at the combine like which happens most years with the top prospects. As a matter of fact Marvin Harrison Jr is handling this draft process the exact same way. Actually let me correct that because Harrison Jr isn't working out at the pro day either. So I guess that he's an even bigger red flag than Williams?

Last edited:

DJ

BGOL Legend
Certified Pussy Poster
Why are you parroting a bunch of random internet reports? The ownership crap is some shit that popped up on Twitter from some random. And he already stated that teams with a legitimate chance of drafting him would get the medical on top of him working out at his pro day instead of at the combine like which happens most years with the top prospects. As a matter of fact Marvin Harrison Jr is handling this draft process the exact same way. Actually let me correct that because Harrison Jr isn't working out at the pro day either. So I guess that he's an even bigger red flag than Williams?

You are obviously sold on CW while I at best look at the situation as dont try and fix something that isnt broken. There is truth is the fact that USC played a bunch of mediocre teams and got trashed by ranked teams. Like I said earlier I am optimistic, and I can whole heartedly share youre optimism, I cannot however shar the enthusiasm given the fact that we just gave up a really good QB for a dollar and a dream and are left to rely on an unproven rookie.

c_commander

Up and Coming Asshole
BGOL Investor
You are obviously sold on CW while I at best look at the situation as dont try and fix something that isnt broken. There is truth is the fact that USC played a bunch of mediocre teams and got trashed by ranked teams. Like I said earlier I am optimistic, and I can whole heartedly share youre optimism, I cannot however shar the enthusiasm given the fact that we just gave up a really good QB for a dollar and a dream and are left to rely on an unproven rookie.
I have stated multiple times that I was cool with whatever Poles chose to do whether it was keeping Fields, drafting Williams or drafting someone else later. The fact is that Williams is considered the likely #1 pick so he most likely will be a Bear. Is he a sure thing? 93 TDs vs 14 INTs for your career is good.
Completing 77% of his passes for over 300 yards vs the team that played for the National Championship is pretty good. I'm not going sit here and act like he's perfect because he isn't. For one he needs to work on his issues with fumbling but he's a damn good prospect.
Ultimately this isn't about me being optimistic. This is about me seeing a young man getting a shitload of hate for no real reason. He was trash this year, he's stuck up cause he didn't hire an agent or didn't work out at the combine or give every team his medicals,etc. All these criticisms based on nothing. Along with getting hated on for doing things that are a normal part of the process forsa top prospect. Or insinuating that he's a walking red flag for handling the process how he is. Just like with Lamar and Justin I want the young man to be successful just to shut the people hating on him the fuck up.
And again as much as I like Justin let's not pretend as if he didn't consistently didn't get the job done in critical, potential game winning drives. As much as Trubisky annoyed me and played like trash it can at least be said that at the end of close games he frequently enough looked like a competent QB more often than Justin Fields. Even in the double drunk game Trubisky marched the team down the field and got us in field goal range. If Fields had done that more often he'd be our QB 1 right now

veewee77

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I have a Peanut Tillman jersey. I may get a Fields jersey for the low but I want to get either a Walter Payton jersey or possibly a Neal Anderson to do something different.

Props on the Neal Anderson jersey. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen anybody rocking a Neal Anderson Jersey at any game I’ve ever went to. He doesn’t get the props he deserves because he came right after Payton, but he was a damn good and versatile back.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor

What was good about Justin?

cheyisrameyah

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Eventually. I'll get over Fields being set up to fail and also failing to make the most of the few opportunities he had to succeed by showing that he was good enough to build around. Poles had to tank in order to rebuild it was the best overall move for the team. Unfortunately, that meant surrounding Fields with absolute garbage in Poles first year. Last year, Poles was overly reliant on Patrick being a decent center and Whitehair being a decent enough backup. Neither worked out and consequently, both players are not going to be Bears next year.

I'm not all in on Caleb. I think that he is talented, but these generational statements are setting the expectations too high. Who ever is drafted (most likely Caleb), they are being surrounded with more talent on offense than Justin ever was. I did want to see what Justin could do with a decent supporting cast and not having to play shortstop with terrible snaps, the bad blocking from the center, getting away from playing hero ball, the many fumbles, excessive amount of screens being called, and not pulling the trigger on open receivers. I think Caleb is being given a good opportunity to succeed. Caleb will be compared to Justin and that is not really fair to either player.

Poles is learning on the fly and I can certainly see the application of a lesson being learned regarding the way Justin was treated (coaching, surrounding talent) from the get go. Fields and Poles both handled the situation with class.

Next year the expectation is to make the playoffs. The defense can carry this team to being competitive and the rookie is being set up to not have to play hero ball. Moore, Allen and Kemet is a damn good receiving corps. Swift is a good RB. The rookie should be given the opportunity to learn the offense, trust the coaching and teammates, and ultimately succeed.

DJ

BGOL Legend
Certified Pussy Poster
What was good about Justin?

He was a team leader and had respect from the players around him. The first 2 seasons the Bears did absolutely nothing for him. He progressively got better and last year was a huge improvement with the additional help that was provided. There is something to be said for a player that dont bitch and moan about the shitty as circumstances they are put in. The kid could run, he got a great arm, and his decisions improved vastly. He poses a dual threat being able to pass and run, keep in mind we had Denver, Detroit, and Cleveland beat in the 4th qtr, defense shit the bed. He did his job, the Bears couldn't hold anyone.

Could he have played or been better ? Yeah, I will give you that. At the same time, he was a good as what he was given, and the players around him. Do I think he deserved another season ? Maybe, maybe not, like I said earlier all things considered, I would have take MHJR and gave it one more shot. I feel like if I am taking a chance, let me take a chance on something I know, I would rather not draft the next Darnold, Sanchez or possibly Leinart.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
He was a team leader and had respect from the players around him. The first 2 seasons the Bears did absolutely nothing for him. He progressively got better and last year was a huge improvement with the additional help that was provided. There is something to be said for a player that dont bitch and moan about the shitty as circumstances they are put in. The kid could run, he got a great arm, and his decisions improved vastly. He poses a dual threat being able to pass and run, keep in mind we had Denver, Detroit, and Cleveland beat in the 4th qtr, defense shit the bed. He did his job, the Bears couldn't hold anyone.

Could he have played or been better ? Yeah, I will give you that. At the same time, he was a good as what he was given, and the players around him. Do I think he deserved another season ? Maybe, maybe not, like I said earlier all things considered, I would have take MHJR and gave it one more shot. I feel like if I am taking a chance, let me take a chance on something I know, I would rather not draft the next Darnold, Sanchez or possibly Leinart.

but next year is a weak QB draft, so what will you do next year?

and the school he went to has nothing to do with Caleb. He was at Oklahoma and followed his coach to USC...so you should be looking at him as the next Baker Mayfield or Kyler Murray and how Lincoln Riley has developed QB's.

It's not like drafting a WR is a sure thing, and you know he's going to be his dad.

DJ

BGOL Legend
Certified Pussy Poster
but next year is a weak QB draft, so what will you do next year?

and the school he went to has nothing to do with Caleb. He was at Oklahoma and followed his coach to USC...so you should be looking at him as the next Baker Mayfield or Kyler Murray and how Lincoln Riley has developed QB's.

It's not like drafting a WR is a sure thing, and you know he's going to be his dad.

To be honest, I dont know what I do if it don't work out, I know I have a great receiving staff, I am probably looking for a vet to get me through the next couple seasons. I will agree MHJR isn't a sure thing, although there is probably a better chance of being a sure thing.
I would love for CW to come in, be the next Mahomes, Stroud and its quite possible that he may, I have my skepticisms at this point, and not without warrant,
I am sure once this season starts we will have more than enough reasons to revist this conversation repeatedly, I can only hope to say "yo fam you were right and I was wrong".