$30 an hour is the new poor

Temujin

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
He's complaining about 30/hour in a country where the minimum wage is 7.25. Which is in fucking insane in America. 200 a week after taxes is barely enough for food. Imagine getting out of Jail and the only job you can get is making 7.25 an hour. How the hell do you ever come up.

30/hour is at least 750 a week you may have a chance with that.

jawnswoop

It's A Philly Thing
BGOL Investor
He's complaining about 30/hour in a country where the minimum wage is 7.25. Which is in fucking insane in America. 200 a week after taxes is barely enough for food. Imagine getting out of Jail and the only job you can get is making 7.25 an hour. How the hell do you ever come up.

30/hour is at least 750 a week you may have a chance with that.
I believe it's because shit is so damn high now, that you would still have little left and that's also including bills and shit.

letsshoot

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
240 a day 1200 a week 4800 a month based on 8 hr shift 5 days a week looks like you need another job or a lot of overtime

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I keep my wages low to save for retirement. I still live off what I made 10 years ago. Kept my cost of living down.

I save 26 percent of every paycheck off the top. Helped me get my retirement savings up quickly.

I have coworkers that don't even use the 401k. I have a traditional and a Roth, and that's just what I use from work.

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
$30/hr is poverty wages.

The Federal Minimum wage adjusted for todays inflation rates should be around $25/hr.

Living in Los Angeles or New York comfortably, you gotta be making more than $50/hr.

$100/k a year is basically working class wages in this economy today.

jawnswoop

It's A Philly Thing
BGOL Investor
I keep my wages low to save for retirement. I still live off what I made 10 years ago. Kept my cost of living down.

I save 26 percent of every paycheck off the top. Helped me get my retirement savings up quickly.

I have coworkers that don't even use the 401k. I have a traditional and a Roth, and that's just what I use from work.
Thanks for the advice.

blaze

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

A lot of times people don't mention the part that managing your money is an important part of this. What you buy, when you buy, what you buy matters a great deal. There are sometimes you can't have the biggest best of everything. Sometimes you have to grab that Panburger Partner instead of that Hamburger Helper. Sometimes you gotta get that Mazda instead of that BMW. Sometimes you might have to not get the J's. Errbody want to go to Heaven, but nobody wants to die.

jawnswoop

It's A Philly Thing
BGOL Investor
A lot of times people don't mention the part that managing your money is an important part of this. What you buy, when you buy, what you buy matters a great deal. There are sometimes you can't have the biggest best of everything. Sometimes you have to grab that Panburger Partner instead of that Hamburger Helper. Sometimes you gotta get that Mazda instead of that BMW. Sometimes you might have to not get the J's. Errbody want to go to Heaven, but nobody wants to die.
Yeah, gotta live within your means and make sure to save. A lot of people don't like to sacrifice when they feel they aren't making enough money.

VAiz4hustlaz

Proud ADOS and not afraid to step to da mic!
BGOL Investor

Keep in mind that these stats are based on FULL-TIME workers

Average salary statistics: Key findings​

• National average income: The national average salary in the U.S. in Q4 of 2023 was $59,384, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.1
  • Average salary by age: The highest average earners are aged between 35 and 44, earning 13.8% more than the national average salary.2
  • Average income by state: On average, Mississippi is the lowest-earning state with an average income of $48,048, and Massachusetts is the highest-earning state with an average income of $86,840.1
  • Average salary by occupation: The highest earners in the U.S. in 2022 were cardiologists ($421,330), and the lowest earners were shampooers ($27,870).3
  • Average income by race and ethnicity: The lowest earners in the U.S. were Hispanics and Latinos, with an average of $45,968, and the highest earners were Asians, with an average of $79,456.4
  • Average household income: The average family household income was $74,755 in 2022.5
  • Average income by gender: The gender pay gap decreased by 0.7% in the last year, but it grew by 1.3% between 2021 and 2022.6
  • Average salary by education: Full-time workers over 25 years old without a high school diploma earned an average of $47,580 per year.4
  • Wage growth vs. inflation: The average salary grew by 4.4% in 2023, according to WTW,7 while there was a gain of 3.4% in the Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers.8