*6/30 UPDATE!* Asheville NC cop tasers, chokes, punches unarmed Black man on video for JAYWALKING

Hotlantan

Beep beep. Who's got the keys to the Jeep? VROOM!
OG Investor
FBI investigating incident where white cop tasers, chokes and punches an unarmed black man in the head after he was caught jaywalking and it was caught on video
  • Johnnie Jermaine Rush, 33, was walking home from work in Asheville, North Carolina on August 24 when he was stopped for jaywalking
  • Cops went to arrest him but Rush fled from the officers and it was caught on tape
  • Police bodycam footage shows Officer Chris Hickman yelling after him: 'You know what's funny is you're going to get f**ked up hardcore'
  • Rush appears to slow down and stops to confront the officers, who pushed him to the ground
  • Hickman was seen repeatedly punching Rush in the head, while yelling at him to put his hands behind his back
  • Rush was then tasered twice as he's held on the ground and is choked as he breathlessly tells the cops, 'I can't breathe'
  • While putting Rush in the back of the police car, Hickman boasted that he 'beat the s**t out of his head, I'm not going to lie about that'
  • Hickman has since resigned but could face criminal charges after a police brutality probe was launched
  • As of Wednesday the FBI launched an investigation into the August incident
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...op-tasering-choking-black-man-jaywalking.html
https://www.citizen-times.com/story...lle-police-brutality-investigation/388344002/
https://www.theroot.com/walking-while-black-body-cam-footage-shows-brutal-beat-1823454798

FULL VIDEO

The FBI has opened a criminal investigation into a white North Carolina police officer shown on body camera footage beating a black man accused of jaywalking.

State Bureau of Investigation spokeswoman Patty McQuillan said in an email Wednesday that an FBI criminal investigation was launched into the actions of Asheville police officer Christopher Hickman on Aug. 25, 2017. She said the state agency is assisting.

Hickman was shown on body camera footage subduing and punching 33-year-old Johnnie Jermaine Rush after officers accused Rush of crossing outside of a crosswalk. Hickman resigned in January.

The case became public after The Citizen-Times newspaper published footage last week. On Wednesday night, angry residents questioned the police chief at a community meeting about why the case was kept from public view for so long.

Officer Hickman resigned and may face criminal charges after he was seen tasering and punching Johnnie Jermaine Rush, 33, in the head repeatedly, in the video.

Now federal agents have joined the Asheville city police brutality probe, suggesting a federal civil rights investigation could follow.

The incident occurred on August 24 when Rush, who is black, was walking home from a 13-hour shift at CrackerBarrel in Asheville, North Carolina.

He had just cut through the parking lot of a business that was closed for the day when he was stopped by Verino Ruggiero, then an officer in training, and officer Hickman, for jaywalking.

Police body cam footage, obtained and published by the Citizen Times last week, shows Ruggiero telling Rush, who'd just visited a local store, that he'd already warned him about jaywalking.

'All I'm trying to do is go home, man. I'm tired. I just got off work,' Rush explained.

Ruggiero told him: 'I've got two options: I can either arrest you or write you a ticket.'

'It doesn't matter to me, man,' Rush replied.

'Do what you have got to do, besides keep harassing me.'

Rush then curses, to which Hickman responds by ordering him to put his hands behind his back.

The 33-year-old then tried to run.

Video shows the officers take off in pursuit and Hickman yelled after him: 'You know what's funny is you're going to get f**ked up hardcore'.

Rush appears to slow down and stops to confront the officers, who pushed him to the ground.

What followed was a brutal beating, as Hickman was seen repeatedly punching Rush in the head, while yelling at him to put his hands behind his back.

Rush was then tasered twice as he's held on the ground and is choked as he breathlessly tells the cops, 'I can't breathe'.

'All this over you getting a ticket,' Hickman, who is white, could be heard telling Rush. 'Now it's serious, bro.'

He then goes on to taunt Rush, who remained prone on the ground, surrounded by cops.

His comment can't be heard, but Hickman responds: 'Oh it's a 'Please' now is it?' Hickman says.

'After all that? It was a ticket! And you wanted to act like this? What's wrong with you? What the f**k is wrong with you?'

While putting Rush in the back of the police car, Hickman is heard complaining that he 'got blood all over me from his face.'

He boasted to an emergency responder called to the scene that he had 'beat the s**t out of his head, I'm not going to lie about that.'

The charges against Rush, which included assaulting a government official and traffic offenses, have since been dropped.

Police Chief Tammy Hooper publicly apologized to Rush on Thursday after the Citizen Times released the video, calling his treatment unacceptable.

Hooper said, after reviewing the video, that she and District Attorney Todd Williams asked the State Bureau of Investigation to initiate a criminal investigation, but they declined.

The chief said that she still felt a criminal investigation was necessary so reached out to another agency.

Hickman was suspected of simple assault, according to police records. Ruggiero is not under investigation.

Hickman resigned on January 5 and Asheville police opened a criminal investigation into his behavior on January 18.

The FBI are now investigating the incident. The agency generally only step into matters involving police officers if it involves a civil rights matter.

Agents have since interviewed Rush as part of the preliminary investigation and will decide whether to launch a full investigation.

49BF0B0600000578-5454437-The_FBI_have_joined_a_police_brutality_probe_after_police_bodyca-a-25_1520022986296.jpg

Bodycam fotoage shows Johnnie Jermaine Rush speaksing to officer Verino Ruggiero

49BF250000000578-5454437-image-a-24_1520022728455.jpg

Hickman was seen punching Johnnie Jermaine Rush, 33, in the head repeatedly (pictured)

49BF24F800000578-5454437-image-a-31_1520023175315.jpg

Rush was also tasered as he lay on the ground with his hands behind his back, surrounded by cops

49BF3A0800000578-5454437-image-a-32_1520023486815.jpg

Rush was left with burn marks on his legs where the taser hit, and swelling around his head, around the same location he was repeatedly punched during the arrest

49BF2EC900000578-5454437-image-m-28_1520023122764.jpg
49BF1C5A00000578-5454437-Hickman-a-4_1520024435258.jpg

Hickman (left) has resigned over allegatios he brutaly beat Rush (right) after he was stopped for jaywalking

49BF1C4E00000578-5454437-image-a-23_1520022693691.jpg

The charges against Rush, which included assaulting a government official and traffic offenses, have since been dropped
49BEFB0F00000578-5454437-image-a-14_1520022639545.jpg

Photos of Rush, taken after the incident, show burn marks on his legs where the taser hit, and swelling around his head, around the same location he was repeatedly punched during the arrest.

Hotlantan

OG Investor
The usual BGOL "suspects" tripping over themselves to be first to post that the Black guy was still probably guilty of something in 5... 4... 3... oh hey there, Shadow22! :hmm:

Hotlantan

OG Investor
MULTIPLE POSTS STARTED ON THIS IN MARCH.
NONE GOT MORE THAN A GLANCE AND SHRUG.
THE DEPT OF JUSTICE CARES AS MUCH AS BGOL
:(
North Carolina police officer faces charges after beating, choking and tasing suspected jaywalker
White North Carolina cop will NOT be charged for violent arrest of a black man for jaywalking, despite shocking bodycam footage
  • US Department of Justice says no federal charges will be filed against former North Carolina police office Christopher Hickman
  • Police bodycam footage shows Officer Chris Hickman repeatedly punching a man in the head, while yelling at him to put his hands behind his back
  • Johnnie Jermaine Rush, 33, was walking home from work in Asheville on August 24 when he was stopped for jaywalking
  • City officials in Asheville, North Carolina, released all footage of the officer putting a Rush in a chokehold
  • Rush was then tasered twice as he's held on the ground and is choked as he breathlessly tells the cops, 'I can't breathe'
  • Hickman resigned and was arrested in March on a felony charge of assault by strangulation, which has been dropped
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5902715/Officer-accused-jaywalkers-beating-wont-charged.html

The North Carolina police officer who was seen on body camera videos beating a black pedestrian will not be federally charged.

US Attorney Andrew Murray said Friday that after a thorough and independent investigation, the evidence against former Asheville police officer Christopher Hickman does not warrant persecution.

Video from last August showed Hickman punching, choking and shocking Johnnie Jermaine Rush, whom officers had accused of jaywalking.

Hickman, who is white, was arrested in March on a state felony charge of assault by strangulation, plus misdemeanor counts of assault and communicating threats.

An arrest warrant said Rush suffered head abrasions and swelling and lost consciousness when Hickman pressed his arm on his throat.

4DC59FAA00000578-5902715-image-a-33_1530323231600.jpg
4DC59F8B00000578-5902715-image-m-32_1530323227901.jpg

US Department of Justice says no federal charges will be filed against former North Carolina police office Christopher Hickman (left) in the beating of Johnnie Jermaine Rush, 33

4AC60A2C00000578-5570801-image-a-4_1522706485831.jpg

Footage was released of the white North Carolina officer putting the black pedestrian in a chokehold. City officials in Asheville, North Carolina, released nine body camera videos of the August 2017 encounter

4DC59F9600000578-5902715-image-a-40_1530323454960.jpg

The incident occurred on August 24 when Rush was walking home from a 13-hour shift at Cracker Barrel in Asheville when he was stopped for jaywalking

In March, city officials in Asheville, North Carolina, released nine body camera videos of the August 2017 encounter from multiple officers.

Earlier this year, a shorter clip obtained by The Citizen-Times newspaper sparked anger in the community and helped lead to assault charges against former officer Christopher Hickman which were later dropped.

Hickman was shown on body camera footage subduing, tasering and punching 33-year-old Johnnie Jermaine Rush in the head repeatedly after officers accused Rush of crossing outside of a crosswalk.

The incident occurred on August 24 when Rush was walking home from a 13-hour shift at Cracker Barrel in Asheville.

He had just cut through the parking lot of a business that was closed for the day when he was stopped by Verino Ruggiero, then an officer in training, and officer Hickman, for jaywalking.

Police body cam footage shows Ruggiero telling Rush, who'd just visited a local store, that he'd already warned him about jaywalking.

'All I'm trying to do is go home, man. I'm tired. I just got off work,' Rush explained.

4DC59F8600000578-5902715-image-m-36_1530323265974.jpg
4DC59F8200000578-5902715-image-a-1_1530343370038.jpg

The charges against Rush (right), which included assaulting a government official and traffic offenses, have since been dropped. Hickman (left) was arrested in March on a felony charge of assault by strangulation, plus misdemeanor counts of assault and communicating threats

Ruggiero told him: 'I've got two options: I can either arrest you or write you a ticket.'

'It doesn't matter to me, man,' Rush replied. 'Do what you have got to do, besides keep harassing me.'

Rush then curses, to which Hickman responds by ordering him to put his hands behind his back. The 33-year-old then tried to run.

Video shows the officers take off in pursuit and Hickman yelled after him: 'You know what's funny is you're going to get f****d up hardcore'.

One of the new clips from an officer arriving as backup appears to show Hickman using both arms to restrain Rush by his neck.

Police have previously said Hickman put Rush in a chokehold, but it was difficult to see on Hickman's own body-worn camera that leaked to the newspaper.

4AC638D900000578-5570801-image-a-2_1522734480835.jpg

+7
A judge ruled one week ago that the new videos could be made public. North Carolina law generally prevents the release of body camera footage without court approval.

In another of the new clips, Rush argues that a supervisor who arrived on the scene, Sgt Lisa Taube, appears to put more faith in Hickman's account than his.

'You weren't even here to see know happened,' Rush is heard saying. 'You're just going by what your officer told you. There are two sides to every story.'

Taube then responds: 'There are. And, thankfully, I've got body-worn video camera to watch afterward.'

Police have said Taube was disciplined for her handling of the case.

While the encounter happened late last year, it took six months for it to become public through the leak to The Citizen-Times.

Hickman, 31, was arrested in March on a felony charge of assault by strangulation, plus misdemeanor counts of assault and communicating threats.

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
MULTIPLE POSTS STARTED ON THIS IN MARCH.
NONE GOT MORE THAN A GLANCE AND SHRUG.
THE DEPT OF JUSTICE CARES AS MUCH AS BGOL

:(
North Carolina police officer faces charges after beating, choking and tasing suspected jaywalker
White North Carolina cop will NOT be charged for violent arrest of a black man for jaywalking, despite shocking bodycam footage
  • US Department of Justice says no federal charges will be filed against former North Carolina police office Christopher Hickman
  • Police bodycam footage shows Officer Chris Hickman repeatedly punching a man in the head, while yelling at him to put his hands behind his back
  • Johnnie Jermaine Rush, 33, was walking home from work in Asheville on August 24 when he was stopped for jaywalking
  • City officials in Asheville, North Carolina, released all footage of the officer putting a Rush in a chokehold
  • Hickman resigned and was arrested in March on a felony charge of assault by strangulation, which has been dropped
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5902715/Officer-accused-jaywalkers-beating-wont-charged.html

The North Carolina police officer who was seen on body camera videos beating a black pedestrian will not be federally charged.

US Attorney Andrew Murray said Friday that after a thorough and independent investigation, the evidence against former Asheville police officer Christopher Hickman does not warrant persecution.

Video from last August showed Hickman punching, choking and shocking Johnnie Jermaine Rush, whom officers had accused of jaywalking.

Hickman, who is white, was arrested in March on a state felony charge of assault by strangulation, plus misdemeanor counts of assault and communicating threats.

An arrest warrant said Rush suffered head abrasions and swelling and lost consciousness when Hickman pressed his arm on his throat.

4DC59FAA00000578-5902715-image-a-33_1530323231600.jpg
4DC59F8B00000578-5902715-image-m-32_1530323227901.jpg

US Department of Justice says no federal charges will be filed against former North Carolina police office Christopher Hickman (left) in the beating of Johnnie Jermaine Rush, 33

4AC60A2C00000578-5570801-image-a-4_1522706485831.jpg

Footage was released of the white North Carolina officer putting the black pedestrian in a chokehold. City officials in Asheville, North Carolina, released nine body camera videos of the August 2017 encounter

4DC59F9600000578-5902715-image-a-40_1530323454960.jpg

The incident occurred on August 24 when Rush was walking home from a 13-hour shift at Cracker Barrel in Asheville when he was stopped for jaywalking

In March, city officials in Asheville, North Carolina, released nine body camera videos of the August 2017 encounter from multiple officers.

Earlier this year, a shorter clip obtained by The Citizen-Times newspaper sparked anger in the community and helped lead to assault charges against former officer Christopher Hickman which were later dropped.

Hickman was shown on body camera footage subduing, tasering and punching 33-year-old Johnnie Jermaine Rush in the head repeatedly after officers accused Rush of crossing outside of a crosswalk.

The incident occurred on August 24 when Rush was walking home from a 13-hour shift at Cracker Barrel in Asheville.

Police body cam footage shows Ruggiero telling Rush, who'd just visited a local store, that he'd already warned him about jaywalking.

4DC59F8600000578-5902715-image-m-36_1530323265974.jpg
4DC59F8200000578-5902715-image-a-1_1530343370038.jpg

The charges against Rush (right), which included assaulting a government official and traffic offenses, have since been dropped. Hickman (left) was arrested in March on a felony charge of assault by strangulation, plus misdemeanor counts of assault and communicating threats

'It doesn't matter to me, man,' Rush replied. 'Do what you have got to do, besides keep harassing me.'

Rush then curses, to which Hickman responds by ordering him to put his hands behind his back. The 33-year-old then tried to run.

Video shows the officers take off in pursuit and Hickman yelled after him: 'You know what's funny is you're going to get f****d up hardcore'.

One of the new clips from an officer arriving as backup appears to show Hickman using both arms to restrain Rush by his neck.

Police have previously said Hickman put Rush in a chokehold, but it was difficult to see on Hickman's own body-worn camera that leaked to the newspaper.

4AC638D900000578-5570801-image-a-2_1522734480835.jpg

+7
A judge ruled one week ago that the new videos could be made public. North Carolina law generally prevents the release of body camera footage without court approval.

In another of the new clips, Rush argues that a supervisor who arrived on the scene, Sgt Lisa Taube, appears to put more faith in Hickman's account than his.

'You weren't even here to see know happened,' Rush is heard saying. 'You're just going by what your officer told you. There are two sides to every story.'

Taube then responds: 'There are. And, thankfully, I've got body-worn video camera to watch afterward.'

Police have said Taube was disciplined for her handling of the case.

While the encounter happened late last year, it took six months for it to become public through the leak to The Citizen-Times.

Hickman, 31, was arrested in March on a felony charge of assault by strangulation, plus misdemeanor counts of assault and communicating threats.
So many incidents like this happening and posted here.....I feel bad that I'm starting to get numb to this shit....it just keeps happening...over….and over....and over....without cacs slowing down...even tho they on video !!!:smh::smh::smh::(:(:(

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor

Y'all give Florida shit but it's one of the only states that make the majority of arrest available to the public, which is why the state is in the news so often.

Coldchi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
if this doesnt warrant persecution, then what the hell does?

I guess they'll give him a civil settlement and then go back to beating the shit outta black people.

FUCK THE POLICE!

Politic Negro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Johnnie Rush, Black pedestrian beaten by Asheville cop in 2017, has assault trial date

Joel Burgess, Asheville Citizen Times
Thu, October 27, 2022 at 11:51 AM·1 min read

ASHEVILLE - A Black city resident whose brutal 2017 beating by a white police officer caused widespread outcry has a trial date set for charges against him including misdemeanor assault with a deadly weapon.

Johnnie Rush appeared in Buncombe County District Court Oct. 25 where a Jan. 17 trial date was set. Along with assault, Rush is accused of three other misdemeanors, assault on a female, larceny and resisting a public officer.

Rush said nothing in court. His attorney, Michael Macht, agreed to the trial date.

Rush was stopped on Aug. 24, 2017, south of downtown by Asheville Police Department Officer Christopher Hickman for Jaywalking. Hickman punched, choked and shocked Rush with a stun gun. The Citizen Times obtained Hickman's body camera video of the event and published it in early 2018, resulting in a local furor and national media attention.

Hickman pleaded guilty to felony assault but had his conviction dismissed after participation in a restorative justice program.

Rush reached a $650,000 settlement with the city in 2018. In the political fallout, the City Council fired the city manager and set about on reforms. In 2020 Asheville was one of the first cities to vote to give reparations to Black residents for slavery and decades of discrimination.

After the Oct. 25 hearing, Rush's attorney Macht did not return a message seeking comment. The assault charge can carry up to 150 days in jail.

ORIGINAL NATION

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Youtube messed me up with that sign it to prove your age. Like everybody id is checked or something. They banned me.

BigDaddyBuk

still not dizzy.
Platinum Member

Asheville to pay pedestrian in police beating $650,000​

Aug 3, 2018 ASHEVILLE - An unarmed black pedestrian who was beaten, shocked and choked in a highly publicized encounter with police will get more than a half million dollars from the city.

In a settlement completed Friday, the city agreed to pay Johnnie Rush $650,000 following the beating almost a year ago.

A photograph provided by Johnnie Rush shows his swollen head after an encounter with the Asheville Police Department in August 2017.

Officer body camera video of the beating became national news. Locally, the beating raised tensions between African-American residents and police and caused upheaval in city government, including the ouster of the city manager.

Rush's attorney, prominent civil rights lawyer James Ferguson, said in an email Friday he was pleased the parties were able to resolve the case without "a costly, contentious trial that would have the potential of further dividing a community that is already too racially divided.

"We hope that this settlement will allow the parties and the community to move forward and begin the painful and difficult process of racial healing that is long overdue."

Rush could not be reached.