Baltimore Residents Create a Real-Life "Hamsterdam" From The Wire

Heist

Rising Star
Registered

BALTIMORE —
750x422

James McEachin, center, a chaplain with Corner Rock Ministries, speaks with Rose Street Community Center leaders Clayton Guyton, left, and Walker Gladden, right, after acting as go-between with police at a marijuana smoke-in Sunday at E. Monument and N. Rose streets (Amy Davis / Baltimore Sun)
----------

Baltimore City State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby's decision not to prosecute marijuana possession, has members of an East Baltimore community calling for clarity.

Some members in the community are calling the corner at Rose St. and East Monument the city's first unofficial weed-smoking zone.

Clayton Guyton, Walker Gladden and Kevin McCamant of the Rose Street Community Center, sent a letter to Mayor Catherine Pugh. The letter addresses their concerns about Mosby's decision not to prosecute marijuana possession cases.

They worry the relationship between Baltimore City police officers and residents will be affected. Others may view this as a way to taunt police.

"It's sending mixed signals because from a street perspective, if I say it's not being prosecuted, I'm internalizing that it's legal, I'm not going to be arrested for it," said Walker.

McCamant talked about what clarity can do.

"Bringing this sort of clarity reduces the opportunity for conflict, and by all means, that's what we want to do," said McCamant.

"We should have a weed-smoking area, a zone temporarily, until they can work it out," said Guyton.

"They" refers to the police. The idea is to have neighborhoods pick locations for weed-smoking zones where the drug can be safely and respectfully indulged.

TheBigOne

Master Tittay Poster
Platinum Member
This is one of the silliest misunderstandings of current culture and policy. Not prosecuting individuals who have a joint or two in their possession is not the same as giving people who sell heroin, cocaine, fentanyl or meth a free pass. That police chief is on his way out of the door and a part of the old school that is concerned about the federal drug war funding that keeps the large command staff in place. Hopefully, the new chief will see it Moseley’s way.