Best Falsetto Singing Voice! Who ya got??

Best Falsetto Singing Voice! Who ya got??

• Philip Bailey

• Bobby Debarge

• Wayne Cooper

• Prince

• Write in

Results are only viewable after voting.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
GVXs4ILaUAA8tMj

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Don Coreleone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
5bvrwj1678514922.jpg

I would usually go with Prince on most things and even in this case its hard to go against him. Phillip Bailey is also a top choice but I have to go with Barry Gibb. In the 70s their music was everywhere including Black radio stations.

Last edited:

respiration

/ˌrespəˈrāSH(ə)n/
BGOL Patreon Investor
I think Bobby DeBarge may have been the most gifted

Respect to Russell Thomkins, Curtis Mayfield, El DeBarge, Howard Hewitt and Jesse Powell And David Peaston.

respiration

/ˌrespəˈrāSH(ə)n/
BGOL Patreon Investor
As a middle-schooler, I hated most of the falsetto voices (Phillip Bailey, Russell Thomkins, etc) that I later came to love.

Bobby DeBarge was an exception. His was so effortless and there was no ceiling to his upper register.

As an adult, alongside him, my personal faves are:

Marvin Gaye. Of all of them, he got the most nuanced depth of emotion out of his, IMO. He’d switch back and forth out of falsetto into baritone and tenor seamlessly.

O’Kelly Isley. I thought the voice I was hearing on many of my favorite Isley Brothers ballads was Ronald (another great) but it was his big brother. Kelly’s was a bit more finely-detailed, understated, fluid and developed.

Sananda Maitreya aka Terence Trent D’Arby. The guy is SERIOUSLY underrated as a singer, songwriter, musician and performer. He’s got three voices he uses. First there’s his distinctive raspy baritone/tenor, then there’s something between a growl and a roar and then…a falsetto that can go from angelically weightless to a raging scream.

Last edited:

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
Russell Thompkins Jr. from The Stylistics hands down

Almost.

Poogie Hart of The Delfonics is the #1 Philly falsetto. Followed by Russell and then Ted Mills. Ron Tyson is up there too.

Then you've got guys that only had a few records or didn't get much burn like Skip Mahoaney. There's the two falsetto Moments with Billy Brown and Harry Ray.

Add Ron Banks of The Dramatics and the leads of The Whatnauts, The Futures, The True Reflection, and The Continental IV. Leroy Burgess and Stuart Bascombe switched leads occasionally for Black Ivory but Leroy took the lion's share.

Eddie Holman. Charles Love and Harry Williams of Bloodstone.

And don't forget the Doo-wop groups.

That should be enough for now.

neptunes007

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Almost.

Poogie Hart of The Delfonics is the #1 Philly falsetto. Followed by Russell and then Ted Mills. Ron Tyson is up there too.

Then you've got guys that only had a few records or didn't get much burn like Skip Mahoaney. There's the two falsetto Moments with Billy Brown and Harry Ray.

Add Ron Banks of The Dramatics and the leads of The Whatnauts, The Futures, The True Reflection, and The Continental IV. Leroy Burgess and Stuart Bascombe switched leads occasionally for Black Ivory but Leroy took the lion's share.

Eddie Holman. Charles Love and Harry Williams of Bloodstone.

And don't forget the Doo-wop groups.

That should be enough for now.

giphy.gif

Just them names is hard. Poogey, Skip, etc

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
5bvrwj1678514922.jpg

I would usually go with Prince on most things and even in this case its hard to go against him. Phillip Bailey is also a top choice but I have to go with Barry Gibb. In the 70s their music was everywhere including Black radio stations.
Yeah.....Barry Gibb definitely is slept on. This is one of my favorite Bee Gees joints.

More Than a Woman goes in till this day
Word! I listen to Bee Gees in my headphones from time to time....always loved their music.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Yeah.....Barry Gibb definitely is slept on. This is one of my favorite Bee Gees joints.

Word! I listen to Bee Gees in my headphones from time to time....always loved their music.

This nig the Larry bird of singing out here… who this cac coming to the black Court scoring all these points, who this cac coming to black karaoke night moving the crowd

Chiyo

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Kendricks was a weak, whispery falsetto. Take nothing from him because he did what he did but compare him to the falsettos that came after him in the Temps.
I mean dude smoked at least 3 packs a day for decades, and Lung Cancer took him out.

Fair point :lol:

November 17

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It's difficult to select a favorite, but I feel the following Gentlemen should be mentioned:

Harry Ray (The Moments/ Ray, Goodman & Brown)

Emanuel "EJ" Johnson (Enchantment)

Last edited: