Bill Russell 6th NBA Championship Highlights (Digitally Restored)

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor

1963 NBA Finals elimination game, Celtics vs. Lakers
8 HOFers in this game (Russell, Baylor, West, Jones, Cousy, Heinsohn, Havlicek, Lovelette)
Russell's 6th ring (5th consecutive, 59-63) thru 7 seasons
Russell was league MVP in 1963, his 4th
Russell this game went for 12 points, 28 rebounds, 9 assists, 7 blocks
Russell for the series averaged 20.0 points, 26.0 rebounds, 5.3 assists. His award, Finals MVP, did not exist yet
Russell has been incorrectly listed as 6'9 and portrayed as undersized for decades. Clearly in this video you can see he is 6'10 1/2 (Dwight Howard's height) with a 7'3 wingspan and is very physically imposing in stature.

Maxxam

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Put some respek on his name

FwHCIB4.png

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
Been saying for years that ball from the 50s and 60s is hard to watch. If it weren't for those numbers being influenced by pace, folks would be clowning hard.

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor
Been saying for years that ball from the 50s and 60s is hard to watch. If it weren't for those numbers being influenced by pace, folks would be clowning hard.

Football from the 50s and 60s is hard to watch. But that doesnt mean we can pretend Jim Brown or Sayers aint all time greats.

Also there are 3 HOF BLACK players in this game which is pretty much the equivalent for most of the Finals in the 90s and 00s.

Last edited:

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
Football from the 50s and 60s is hard to watch. But that doesnt mean we can pretend Jim Brown or Sayers aint all time greats.

Also there are 3 HOF BLACK players in this game which is pretty much the equivalent for most of the Finals in the 90s and 00s.

Come on man. Watching Bill play on the offensive end is just painful. Cats were playing Chino Hill pace ball, he has a crazy length and athletic advantage, and still shoots barely over 40 percent averaging under 20. :smh:

Riggz

Rising Star
Platinum Member
it's like no one didn't even try to grab a rebound. If a shot was missed, Russell was snatching that shit.

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor
Come on man. Watching Bill play on the offensive end is just painful. Cats were playing Chino Hill pace ball, he has a crazy length and athletic advantage, and still shoots barely over 40 percent averaging under 20. :smh:

Celtics didnt use him as their main scorer, he anchored their #1 defense. And everyones percentage was lower in that era because no 3 point line for spacing.

Pretty much all bball historians and HOF players regard Ill Bill top 5 and the greatest defensive player in NBA history. Ill take their word over Jordan fans on BGOL.

jiggga

Support BGOL
Registered
I think yall being a little hard on that era of ball. Yeah, the game and the athletes have evolved a lot since then, but those were still grown ass men at the top of their craft. A lot of those cats could shoot the lights out of the ball (especially in the now underappreciated mid-range). Plus, you couldn't get away with dribbling the way we do now back then. Even Magic Johnson's dribbling in the late 80's looks measured compared to now.

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor
I think yall being a little hard on that era of ball. Yeah, the game and the athletes have evolved a lot since then, but those were still grown ass men at the top of their craft. A lot of those cats could shoot the lights out of the ball (especially in the now underappreciated mid-range). Plus, you couldn't get away with dribbling the way we do now back then. Even Magic Johnson's dribbling in the late 80's looks measured compared to now.

Diminishing his competition is common for Jordan fans because he won 5 more championships than MJ and MJs championships is the only thing keeping him propped up at this point. And those same fans use "6 rings" as the standard and ignore that the game has even evolved from his days and that a 6'6 2 guard that cant shoot 3s wouldnt be as special in this era.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Diminishing his competition is common for Jordan fans because he won 5 more championships than MJ and MJs championships is the only thing keeping him propped up at this point. And those same fans use "6 rings" as the standard and ignore that the game has even evolved from his days and that a 6'6 2 guard that cant shoot 3s wouldnt be as special in this era.
So what if a person who downplays him ain't a Jordan fan? You act like everybody loved him and people only use him as a measuring stick.. I kno people who hate mj that will say bill Russell ain't as great as people try to say he was.. This would be from Kareem fans or magic fans

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor
So what if a person who downplays him ain't a Jordan fan? You act like everybody loved him and people only use him as a measuring stick.. I kno people who hate mj that will say bill Russell ain't as great as people try to say he was.. This would be from Kareem fans or magic fans

Pretty much everyone who came in this thread questioning his comp considers Jordan the GOAT. So its not a coincidence its primarily Jordan fans who use the "weak comp" angle. Its also not a coincidence that most people Jordan's age or older DONT consider Jordan the GOAT or hold him in the reverence that bball fans like yourself who are younger than MJ do. You wont find 1 publication or quote prior to Jordan in the 80s where people called Wilt & Bills comp weak. Hell even in the mid 80's during Jordan's career Sports Illustrated clowned the NBA and the then NBA centers with this cover...

zz2012a.jpg

Bill coached in the 70s and was an analyst in the 80s, show me a clip of someone saying his rings are hollow cuz his comp was weak. You wont. In 2005 the NBA decided to name the Finals MVP in Bill Russells honor. Out of all the NBA players up to that point they could've named it after, they chose him. And no one contested it or said "aww man, dude's accolades were inflated he's not worthy of the honor".
Bill Russell & Wilt Chamberlain is the greatest and most important individual rivalry in sports history, they created the modern NBA, and bball historians and HOF players have heralded them as 2 of the top 5 players ever. This is the only time in sports someone tries to put asterisks on rings (11 to be exact) and its to protect Jordan's "6 rings is the most" legacy. No one even attempts this shit with football, cuz you start talkin that Jim Brown played weak comp in the 50s and 60s, his championships and numbers dont count, Leveon Bell is better shit people are gonna smack you in the face.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Pretty much everyone who came in this thread questioning his comp considers Jordan the GOAT. So its not a coincidence its primarily Jordan fans who use the "weak comp" angle. Its also not a coincidence that most people Jordan's age or older DONT consider Jordan the GOAT or hold him in the reverence that bball fans like yourself who are younger than MJ do. You wont find 1 publication or quote prior to Jordan in the 80s where people called Wilt & Bills comp weak. Hell even in the mid 80's during Jordan's career Sports Illustrated clowned the NBA and the then NBA centers with this cover...

zz2012a.jpg

Bill coached in the 70s and was an analyst in the 80s, show me a clip of someone saying his rings are hollow cuz his comp was weak. You wont. In 2005 the NBA decided to name the Finals MVP in Bill Russells honor. Out of all the NBA players up to that point they could've named it after, they chose him. And no one contested it or said "aww man, dude's accolades were inflated he's not worthy of the honor".
Bill Russell & Wilt Chamberlain is the greatest and most important individual rivalry in sports history, they created the modern NBA, and bball historians and HOF players have heralded them as 2 of the top 5 players ever. This is the only time in sports someone tries to put asterisks on rings (11 to be exact) and its to protect Jordan's "6 rings is the most" legacy. No one even attempts this shit with football, cuz you start talkin that Jim Brown played weak comp in the 50s and 60s, his championships and numbers dont count, Leveon Bell is better shit people are gonna smack you in the face.
This ain't about Jordan.. Let your animosity go for that dude.. This is about where bill Russell rate among .centers.. Most people would not put him at number 1 or 2 when it comes to being all around talented... Most people would pick wilt, Kareem, Hakeem, and a few others b4 him.. Nobody will deny his importance to the game but when it comes to the best he ain't top 3 centers period.. Props to his defensive skills but that other side of the ball he not fucking with reem, wilt, or Hakeem period

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor
This ain't about Jordan.. Let your animosity go for that dude.. This is about where bill Russell rate among .centers.. Most people would not put him at number 1 or 2 when it comes to being all around talented... Most people would pick wilt, Kareem, Hakeem, and a few others b4 him.. Nobody will deny his importance to the game but when it comes to the best he ain't top 3 centers period.. Props to his defensive skills but that other side of the ball he not fucking with reem, wilt, or Hakeem period

It doesnt matter, he has 11 rings. Thats more than all of them combined. And ever since April 2003 whoever got most rings is GOAT, so...

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
It doesnt matter, he has 11 rings. Thats more than all of them combined. And ever since April 2003 whoever got most rings is GOAT, so...
Sorry that's never been the all to be all... Horry isn't the best sf/pf or even considered to be top 20 in either position... The ring thing was only an added extra bonus... When it comes to the player and co paring him to other players you go with skill level, dominance, etc... He's not wilt, Kareem, Hakeem period... Besides most of those rings he got he wasn't even the best player on the floor cause I believe he only got 5 final mvp

muckraker10021

Superstar *****
BGOL Investor
Golden State or Houston would beat these teams by 60 points. Those 1960's teams are moving in slow motion. Westbrook would drive full court and dunk on every posession.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
Celtics didnt use him as their main scorer, he anchored their #1 defense. And everyones percentage was lower in that era because no 3 point line for spacing.

Pretty much all bball historians and HOF players regard Ill Bill top 5 and the greatest defensive player in NBA history. Ill take their word over Jordan fans on BGOL.

People are fucking sheep. They scared to just tell the fucking truth. I bet a lot of HOF players never even seen film of Bill playing. They just parrot what others say about he era and keep it moving. It's good PR. Calling out Bill is like calling out Jesus.

Let's not forget plenty of old timers don't want to admit athletes just get better each generation. Bigger. Stronger. Quicker. If your advantage was athleticism/size, it's not going to be the same in 20-40 years. Rare cases like Wilt, Shaq, and Lebron are exceptions.

They couldn't use him for their main scorer because it was like giving Frankenstein's monster the ball and asking him to do some post moves.

Bill did his thing for his era. Can't help when he played. He is an HOF. But all-time greats will dominate any era. Bill wouldn't dominate shit today.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor

Man. Listen. These white basketball historian and gurus will always big up the 50s and 60s era because that's when whites last dominated those sports. Remember didn't even have all-black starting team for college until the mid fucking 60s, so the pipeline to NBA talent was definitely held back. And remember, Bill even said there was a quota in effect.

There are just too many PF/Centers I'd go to war with before taking Bill. Shit. I'd take Dirk and these fools could have Bill. Dirk take the rebound and push the ball full court. No way Bill stopping that fadeaway. Dirk don't have to do any fucking work on defense guarding Bill which means he's cooking him even more on the other end.

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor
Man. Listen. These white basketball historian and gurus will always big up the 50s and 60s era because that's when whites last dominated those sports. Remember didn't even have all-black starting team for college until the mid fucking 60s, so the pipeline to NBA talent was definitely held back. And remember, Bill even said there was a quota in effect.

There are just too many PF/Centers I'd go to war with before taking Bill. Shit. I'd take Dirk and these fools could have Bill. Dirk take the rebound and push the ball full court. No way Bill stopping that fadeaway. Dirk don't have to do any fucking work on defense guarding Bill which means he's cooking him even more on the other end.

See what I mean. Jordan fans say Dirk is better than Bill Russell. :smh: Its those kind of over the top statements that make folks not take you seriously when you say MJ is GOAT. Seriously, you not a real dynasty unless you got 8. Hell Bill won 2 in NCAA. Dude is just the greatest champion bro.

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
See what I mean. Jordan fans say Dirk is better than Bill Russell. :smh: Its those kind of over the top statements that make folks not take you seriously when you say MJ is GOAT. Seriously, you not a real dynasty unless you got 8. Hell Bill won 2 in NCAA. Dude is just the greatest champion bro.

How in the fuck could Bill guard Dirk? :confused: It's all about defense with Bill, right? It's agreed his offense wasn't up there.

He ain't guarding Dirk. Period. Since you running Bill at 6'9 out as your center, I'd run 7ft Dirk out who can play in and out. Good fucking luck. :giggle:

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor
How in the fuck could Bill guard Dirk? :confused: It's all about defense with Bill, right? It's agreed his offense wasn't up there.

He ain't guarding Dirk. Period. Since you running Bill at 6'9 out as your center, I'd run 7ft Dirk out who can play in and out. Good fucking luck. :giggle:

Bill wasnt 6'9. And Dirk shooting 30 feet out for 2 points cuz its no 3 point line, while Bill sits in the lane and grabs 30 boards ill take my chances.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Gene is actually from Cleveland which makes him more of a cav fan than you...who said he a mj fan maybe he a lebron fan that don't think Russell is top 3 center... Once again why are you mentioning mj in a bill Russell center debate..ur infuated with mj this thread is not about him stick to the subject

gene cisco

Not A BGOL Eunuch
BGOL Investor
Bill wasnt 6'9. And Dirk shooting 30 feet out for 2 points cuz its no 3 point line, while Bill sits in the lane and grabs 30 boards ill take my chances.

If Dirk played at the 60s pace, it's over. Don't even need a 3pth line. He is 7ft pushing the ball. His sig shot is one of the best in NBA history. Pace adjusted, Bill gets 10 rebounds.

Gene is actually from Cleveland which makes him more of a cav fan than you...who said he a mj fan maybe he a lebron fan that don't think Russell is top 3 center... Once again why are you mentioning mj in a bill Russell center debate..ur infuated with mj this thread is not about him stick to the subject

MJ hit me hard with The Shot. But I would never say he couldn't dominate today. Bill? He just couldn't. Top 3? :eek: