Black teenager was falling asleep during a courtroom field trip. She ended up in cuffs and jail clothes

Did the judge overreact?

• Yes

• No

• It was a little excessive

• The teenager was disrespectful and deserve to be made an example

Results are only viewable after voting.

RoomService

Dinner is now being served.
BGOL Investor

A teen was falling asleep during a courtroom field trip. She ended up in cuffs and jail clothes​

Wed, August 14, 2024 at 2:39 PM PDT

539969bc41aaf0ed666fd0036406f8f9

DETROIT (AP) — A teenager on a field trip to see a Detroit court ended up in jail clothes and handcuffs because a judge said he didn't like her attitude.
Judge Kenneth King even asked other kids in the courtroom Tuesday whether the 16-year-old girl should be taken to juvenile detention, WXYZ-TV reported.

King, who works at 36th District Court, defended his actions.

“I wanted this to look and feel very real to her, even though there’s probably no real chance of me putting her in jail. That was my own version of ‘Scared Straight,’” King said, referring to a documentary about teen offenders in New Jersey.
The teen was seeing King's court as part of a visit organized by The Greening of Detroit, a nonprofit environmental group. During the visit, King noticed the girl falling asleep, WXYZ reported.
“You fall asleep in my courtroom one more time, I’m gonna put you in back, understood?” the judge said, according to video of his remarks.
King then had the girl change into jail clothes and wear handcuffs.

"It was her whole attitude and her whole disposition that disturbed me,” the judge told WXYZ. “I wanted to get through to her, show how serious this is and how you are to conduct yourself inside of a courtroom.”
King also threatened her with time in juvenile detention before releasing her.

“I’ll do whatever needs to be done to reach these kids and make sure that they don’t end up in front of me,” the judge said.
The Greening of Detroit released a statement, saying the “young lady was traumatized.”
“Although the judge was trying to teach a lesson of respect, his methods were unacceptable,” chairperson Marissa Ebersole Wood said. “The group of students should have been simply asked to leave the courtroom if he thought they were disrespectful.”

There was no immediate response to a message seeking comment Wednesday from King. The court’s chief judge, William McConico, was away and unavailable for comment, his office said.
“There were so many other ways in which to have helped that young girl learn,” said Larry Dubin, a professor at the University of Detroit Mercy law school.
King told WXYZ that he spoke to the girl's parents and offered to be a mentor.

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
these fuckin ADMINISTRATORS really be FEELING themselves

MUTHAFUCKA YOU SERVE THE PEOPLE....

His little ego was bruised.. I wouldve just been like.. somebody stayed up to late last night.. chuckle chuckle

and kept that shit moving..

folks are waking up to the mindfuckery we call our justice system....

most them muthafuckas be ADMINISTRATORS frontin like

they supreme court judges...

ThaBurgerPimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Without seeing the whole video it's had to say, unfortunately some of these kids think it's cute to act up & get an attitude.

They take it as disrespect anytime they can't do anything they want to do. And then react in the most extreme ways possible.

These are the real issues.
Makes me wish A & E would bring this show back..

tt1707374-poster.jpg

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Put a gun to his head and ask him does he think his occupation make him bullet proof. Tell him his ego is way bigger than his immunity. He likes to play God in the courts I like to play God in the streets. Was my few days of freedom worth his life. Sometimes power has to be humbled. Ole boy needs some

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Is this an elected judge? Cause you just fcuked yourSELF out of a job!!!!! ANY opponent will use this as why you are a shyt judge! If I was her, I'd start talking about how I was on my period and couldn't sleep well due to cramps and get PAID!!!!! I get it nobody wants to be thought they're so boring that they put kids to sleep. Have her walk outside, get some water. Cuffing her, threatening her with juvie? Yeah THAT'S gonna get kids on the side of law!!!! FCUK that judge!!!

Amajorfucup

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Dont know what that child has going on at home or had to endure the nite before. And for a judge-who deals with broken people from broken homes daily- to not consider family and outside circumstances is very disappointing.. disgraceful even. The immediate reaction of putting her in jail clothes and handcuffs is some sick shit.

Mrfreddygoodbud

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

you can tell by the way he dresses he makes bad decisions,

a fuckin black shirt, WTF mulit colored tie, with pattern blazer..

He dressing like he own a strip club...

its leadership like that. HOLDING US BACK AS A PEOPLE

WE NEED TO CLEAN HOUSE, DOUCHE IT, GIVE IT AN ENEMA,

AND CHECK ID's..

NO MORE FAKE OR WATERED DOWN KNIGGAS ALLOWED IN!!

code_pirahna

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Judge should ve just threw her out or the teacher should've just took all the students out...

"I'll let your peers decide."

No wisdom even in the folks who are supposed to have it. Judge is a whole clown.

RoomService

Dinner is now being served.
BGOL Investor
Judge should ve just threw her out or the teacher should've just took all the students out...

"I'll let your peers decide."

No wisdom even in the folks who are supposed to have it. Judge is a whole clown.
Yeah, King did say that.

You can't make this shyt up!

:roflmao: That Nig is full of shit...

EGO-TRIP

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
There is a level of decorum that must be followed in a courtroom . He warned her not to fall asleep again or she would be handled.
She fucked around and found out !

CPT Callamity

Titty Feelin Villain
BGOL Investor
He's wrong AF. I see if he just told her to try and stay awake. I remember what it was like as a teen who was working and trying to make it. I had to commute across town, go to school for a whole day and then walk form school to work a 4 hour shift in the evening. I made it home between 9-10 every night like a damn adult. I was tired some days but no one showed me any sympathy. Glad his power hungry ass got removed.