Best for Uber / Lyft / Ride Share
Viofo T130 3CH:

Best for Driver Monitoring
BlackVue DR900X

Best for Increased Visibility
Volway 10" Mirror
(Close 2nd)
GKU D800

This the dude that exposed the Samsung Freestyle portable protector...very solid channel

An RnB Thug

El Capitan of The LOVE BOAT
Platinum Member
I've bought a LOT of dash cams.
It doesn't matter if you spend $20 or $150
If the ratings say 1 star or 5 stars
They are ALL hit or miss.
Pick one you like and cross your fingers

This one has been a work horse for me.
Does Road & Cabin
(Not me, a booger pickin dealer mechanic)

PeerlessMack

Been here longer than you think!
Platinum Member

Man, I was in the same boat. I do a lot of research on products before I buy and for the life of me I could not get a good recommendation on a dash cam. It seems every cam was mediocre no matter how expensive or who made it.

Then I saw LinusTech's video on dashcams and he exposed why they are all mediocre.

@xxxbishopxxx posted the vide but the tldr: is that basically, all of those cams are using the same cameras and sensors. These dash cam companies are getting their internals from 1 of 2 camera manufacturer.

Go to the 10:30 mark of the video.

Basetip

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

This one has been a work horse for me.
Does Road & Cabin
(Not me, a booger pickin dealer mechanic)

Which one are you using? I don't see the name... Thanks

g0nbad real bad

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I was never able to really use one in my truck because the cigarette lighters stay on even when the truck is off. I hated having to plug it in and unplug it everytime I got in and out.

Gemini

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Best for Personal Use
Viofo A129 Plus Duo
(Close 2nd) Vantrue X4S:

Best for Uber / Lyft / Ride Share
Viofo T130 3CH:

Best for Driver Monitoring
BlackVue DR900X

Best for Increased Visibility
Volway 10" Mirror
(Close 2nd)
GKU D800

Neil

Solid reviews, thanks. I have the A129 Plus Duo hardwired into two cars. Used video from one to prove that a pothole on private property killed one of my tires and get paid for the damage.

Rolfathan

Reminder: If you live in a place that gets hot, any dashcam with a lithium ion battery is a lot more likely to fail early. I was replacing them once a year, until I finally got one without a battery, and it's been two years, just fine. Only thing that sucks is the one I got has no way to record in parking lot.

Simon Wright

When it comes to insurance claims, the only time you should ever show the footage (or even reveal the existence of your dashcam) is to disprove a false statement by another party. Do not be that idiot who yells at the other driver that you caught it all on dashcam. You don't need to win the argument on the side of the road. That argument is irrelevant. Just swap insurance details and let them say whatever they like. The only argument that matters is the one they make to your/their insurer or to a LEO. If they admit fault, you can throw the footage in the trash—you don't need it. If they lie, only then do you reveal the dash cam footage. And then they've been caught in a lie, and it's much easier to win the argument where it matters.

Malgaras

Another option for power is to get an adapter that plugs into the OBD2 port. This can usually get you continuous power while being a bit more user friendly then the fuse box.

Ben Whittle

Be really careful with using the OBD2 port as a power supply, I have seen a few horror stories of devices that use OBD2 port for power causing significant and costly damage to on board computers for some reason.

Last edited:

p5ych3

Curry Is My God
BGOL Patreon Investor
Got the Viofo Duo. Amazon occasionally discounts it down to 150$ if you not in a rush. I had it in my cart then changed my mind then next day some idiot in a ricer brake checked a mini van on i95. Got it for 170$, usually it's 190$

Install was less than an hour after I reading the manual. I connected it to my wifi and used my cell phone to get it in a good position. I used the front edge and corners of the bonnet to position it.

I'm using USB power, but it turns off when the engine idle off kicks in. I've disabled that for now. May use the hardwire in the future.

The review videos are spot on. Images are clear for the most part, but its hard to read the license plates or street signs unless the other vehicles are within 1 or 2 car lengths. So great for accidents or capturing stuff that doesn't need fine details, but not for sight seeing lol.

Texas Catdaddy

the omnipotent one .....
Platinum Member
Got the Viofo Duo. Amazon occasionally discounts it down to 150$ if you not in a rush. I had it in my cart then changed my mind then next day some idiot in a ricer brake checked a mini van on i95. Got it for 170$, usually it's 190$

Install was less than an hour after I reading the manual. I connected it to my wifi and used my cell phone to get it in a good position. I used the front edge and corners of the bonnet to position it.

I'm using USB power, but it turns off when the engine idle off kicks in. I've disabled that for now. May use the hardwire in the future.

The review videos are spot on. Images are clear for the most part, but its hard to read the license plates or street signs unless the other vehicles are within 1 or 2 car lengths. So great for accidents or capturing stuff that doesn't need fine details, but not for sight seeing lol.

good looking out G .....

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
I use a Blueskysea Dual Lens and it's done a great job. The lenses rotate and are wide-view so you can aim them anywhere. Picture is crystal clear 1080 license plate tech to record them...or some shit. I aim one at the road and one at the driver's window to record any LEO or anybody else that wants some smoke. It's funny how the LEO look at my inspection and reg, see the camera and stand by the A-pillar like they can't be seen but then BOTH the cameras pick their asses up. lol

Okay found it
here

And you should always use this

Last edited:

jagu

Rising Star
Platinum Member
How much they charge for that addition? When I looked at the i4 that was like a $1000 add on.
In my wife’s X6 it was part of an $800 parking assistant package.
Btw I’m migrating to Porsche after my 750 Cpo warranty expires in spring. Can’t wait!

Texas Catdaddy

the omnipotent one .....
Platinum Member
I use a Blueskysea Dual Lens and it's done a great job. The lenses rotate and are wide-view so you can aim them anywhere. Picture is crystal clear 1080 license plate tech to record them...or some shit. I aim one at the road and one at the driver's window to record any LEO or anybody else that wants some smoke. It's funny how the LEO look at my inspection and reg, see the camera and stand by the A-pillar like they can't be seen but then BOTH the cameras pick their asses up. lol

Okay found it
here

And you should always use this

got it for a hunnid .....

pookie

Thinking of a Master Plan
BGOL Patreon Investor

I was checking out some dashcams a couple months ago but could never find one I really liked. I was looking for one that had a phone app so I could view the footage there instead of having to remove the sd card from the dash cam

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
I need one that can go on my dash as opposed to mounting on my windshield. I have clear tint on my windshield and don't want to mount anything that will damage the tint or not properly be able to adhere securely.

CurtDawg

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I need one that can go on my dash as opposed to mounting on my windshield. I have clear tint on my windshield and don't want to mount anything that will damage the tint or not properly be able to adhere securely.
I was checking out some dashcams a couple months ago but could never find one I really liked. I was looking for one that had a phone app so I could view the footage there instead of having to remove the sd card from the dash cam

Easiest Dash Cam Install! - Rove R2-4K PRO Review ft. Dongar Adapter​

The best dashcams on the market right now...
1) Viofo A139 Pro
2) Thinkware U3000

Those two are the best of the best, because they have the latest "Sony Starvis 2 4K lens sensor"

cli-terminator

Retired ManWhore
BGOL Investor
The best dashcams on the market right now...
1) Viofo A139 Pro
2) Thinkware U3000

Those two are the best of the best, because they have the latest "Sony Starvis 2 4K lens sensor"
Unfortunately neither of those will work for me since they need to get mounted to the windshield.