Facebook is planning a major redesign to help it compete with TikTok

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
Changes include more recommendations in Facebook’s feed and bringing Messenger back into the app.

d0ec9270-c7ac-11ec-b5fb-9e48cecc52a5.cf.jpg

Mark Zuckerberg and other Meta executives have made it clear for some time that competing with TikTok is their top priority. Now, we have additional details about how they plan to completely overhaul the Facebook app to accomplish that.

The social network is working on a major redesign of Facebook’s main feed that would heavily emphasize recommended content from pages, creators and people you don’t already follow, according to a memo from a Facebook executive that was published by The Verge.

The memo, from Tom Alison who heads up the Facebook app at Meta, states that the goal is to shift Facebook into a “Discovery Engine,” which would heavily rely on recommendations, similar to TikTok’s “For You” feed. Recommendations would mainly come from “unconnected” content, including Reels, and users would see fewer posts from friends and family in their feeds. The plan would also bring Messenger’s inbox back into the Facebook app in an effort to encourage users to share more content from said “Discovery Engine.”

It’s not clear how long it will take Meta to implement these changes, some of which mirror changes already happening at Instagram. But it’s not the first time Meta executives have hinted at big changes to come in Facebook’s app, or even the first time we’ve heard about an upcoming pivot from social network to “Discovery Engine.” Zuckerberg said in April that the company was in the midst of a “major shift” that would change the dynamics of feeds to emphasize AI-driven recommendations over users’ social graphs.

Still, the memo from Alison makes clear just how important the new priorities are for the company, which is desperately trying to catch up to TikTok.

But the shift to more recommendations could also be problematic for the company. The company’s current recommendation algorithms have been blamed for exploiting divisiveness and promoting misinformation. While Alison told The Verge that there would be stricter rules for recommended content, the company has often struggled to enforce its own rules. And, notably, in his memo Alison states that the company is changing the way it views its obligation to reduce “negative experiences.”

“‘Reducing negative experiences’ has been removed as a product priority since it’s more aptly tied to the product culture we are trying to build throughout our approach of being ‘Trustworthy,’ ‘People-Centric,’ and ‘Unified,’” Alison wrote. “Our focus is doing this holistically across all of our products as a permanent part of our culture as opposed to a short-term priority.”

Facebook is planning a major redesign to help it compete with TikTok | Engadget

Rembrandt

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I don't know why these companies can't be happy with their niche. someone else will have something that pops and they will pivot again and ruin the few things likeable about a given platform. I hate they are forcing video more in instagram. I don't want to be force fed a bunch of videos there. Facebook is for the people i already know. that's just its purpose now. They can't help themselves but mess things up even more.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I don’t have a ticktock account.

Got banned from instagram and never cared to go back.

Barely use Twitter for anything.

Facebook is all I really use and that’s because I’ve been on there since ‘04.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

No tiktok here either.

Only scan IG and Twitter for the T&A and sports highlights and GIFs.

Used to use Twitter a fair bit to win contests and sweepstakes.

Only keep FB for long-time messenger threads with friends, and to keep in touch with family and friends’ updates re: relatives and life events overseas, etc. Haven’t posted on there in 5+ years.

younggiftedandblack

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
These social media platforms don't like it when the majority of their audience starts to be older adults. But it happens and there's not much you can do about it. I'm starting to see it on TikTok too.

Don Coreleone

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Got on Facebook just for the women. Don't have Tik tok, don't really mess with Twitter, Instagram and rarely am on Facebook and at this point any woman that's on social media have no interest in.

APOPHIS

Autodidact / Polymath
Platinum Member
Twitter is the best damn thing I've RECENTLY discovered since opening my account in 2011.
I got on there to follow crypto content but have discovered so much more...
The amount of useful news and applicable knowledge I get from there is a blessing.

Case example.

APOPHIS

Autodidact / Polymath
Platinum Member
Fuck TikTok. Another Chinese bootleg.
Vine was way ahead of their time.
RIP :(

gw1933

Rising Star
Registered
At this point FB is dead.

Logging on is the equivalent of a 20 yr old going to a party and seeing their grandparents there unexpectedly.

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member

I have tiktok, but haven't posted anything. I have it so if I want to search videos it's not as cumbersome being a member.

I love and use Twitter constantly. Even if I don't post I use it for trending topics.

I have IG but only use it for contests and to follow natural hair folks. I don't use my name or picture so I was PISSED when I got a follow request from my nephew. I use a different email than I do on Facebook and they still suggested me to Facebook folks. I was told it may have been because he used my wifi, but since I want to keep social media like that see from family, I just don't post.

Facebook I use mainly for family, friends and groups. I have no desire to get or discover content from random people. I use other platforms for that when I have time.

Why did you get banned from IG?

Camille

Kitchen Wench #TeamQuaid
Staff member
No tiktok here either.

Only scan IG and Twitter for the T&A and sports highlights and GIFs.

Used to use Twitter a fair bit to win contests and sweepstakes.

Only keep FB for long-time messenger threads with friends, and to keep in touch with family and friends’ updates re: relatives and life events overseas, etc. Haven’t posted on there in 5+ years.

I won a clarisonic facial cleaner, a roku and a hair cap from Twitter contests before.

4 Dimensional

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I have tiktok, but haven't posted anything. I have it so if I want to search videos it's not as cumbersome being a member.

I love and use Twitter constantly. Even if I don't post I use it for trending topics.

I have IG but only use it for contests and to follow natural hair folks. I don't use my name or picture so I was PISSED when I got a follow request from my nephew. I use a different email than I do on Facebook and they still suggested me to Facebook folks. I was told it may have been because he used my wifi, but since I want to keep social media like that see from family, I just don't post.

Facebook I use mainly for family, friends and groups. I have no desire to get or discover content from random people. I use other platforms for that when I have time.

Why did you get banned from IG?

I got banned for posting copyright content. I was trying to expand my nonprofit to a platform outside of FB. Figured if I could it what I was doing on FB, then I should be ok on instagram.

That was a big hell naw.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I won a clarisonic facial cleaner, a roku and a hair cap from Twitter contests before.

My friend & his wife just welcomed their 2nd kid earlier this spring.

We haven't had a chance to catch up in some time, so I messaged him and said - "I can send over some (contest wins) giftcards to celebrate the new child's arrival" ... sent them over $150 in toy store giftcards for the kid. They were thrilled. They planned on putting it towards something small for the new baby, and a kid's bicycle for their 3yo.