Food: Recall of Boar’s Head deli meats announced during investigation of listeria outbreak UPDATE: CLOSING FACTORY

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
Never understood how people can eat Liverwurst and P&P Losf. Shit smells like dead people :puke:

9trxJz.jpg

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Big Y, Stop & Shop temporarily close all delis after Boar’s Head recall​

by: Bailey Wright, Jenn Brink, Jayne Chacko
Posted: Jul 26, 2024 / 01:28 PM EDT
Updated: Jul 26, 2024 / 11:21 PM EDT
NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) — Big Y and Stop & Shop announced on Friday that all of its store delis had been temporarily closed amid a recent recall of certain Boar’s Head meat products. They have since reopened.
Boar’s Head Friday recalled more than 200,000 pounds of its deli products because they may be contaminated with the bacteria that causes listeria infections.
Boar’s Head recalls deli meats over listeria concerns
They are recalling their ready-to-eat liverwurst and other deli meats processed on the same day, according to an announcement from the USDA. Officials said the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service is recommending delis clean and sanitize all food and non-food surfaces and throw away any open meats and cheeses in the deli area.

With this guidance issued, Big Y decided it was best to temporarily close all their delis and destroy all potentially impacted products with a deep clean and sanitization.
“We are taking these steps out of an abundance of caution for our customers’ safety. To make sure we are breaking the supply chain, we will also be disposing of all product that may have come in contact with the affected products. We will continue to be vigilant and take precautions to prevent future incidents,” senior director of fresh food at Big Y John Fraro said.
The deli counter at the Big Y in Enfield was open again by 4 p.m. Friday. Staff did a deep clean when they came into work Friday morning.

“Regardless if it was Boar’s Head or not, if there was a chance that it cross contaminated or came across our meats, we took it out and cleaned everything,” said Jade Rivera-Mcfarlin, Big Y’s manager of communications. “All of the deli counters, everything was thrown out but they also cleaned, sanitation, deep cleaning everything. All the machines that cut the meat, anything that worked with it, handling it.”
Big Y says after deli counters reopen, the produce is safe to eat.
A Stop & Shop also temporarily closed their delis to remove any produce and clean. They delis reopened by 7:30 p.m. Friday.
“Out of an abundance of caution, Stop & Shop made the decision to temporarily close our delis today to conduct this cleaning and product removal,” a statement from Stop & Shop reads. “Ensuring the safety of the products we sell is our highest priority, and our deli associates are ready to serve our communities.”

The liverwurst products were produced between June 11, 2024, and July 17, 2024, and have a 44-day shelf life. Labels of the recalled products can be viewed at the USDA’s website.
  • 3.5-pound loaves in plastic casing, or various weight packages sliced in retail delis, containing “Boar’s Head Strassburger Brand Liverwurst Made in Virginia.” The products shipped to retailers bear sell by dates ranging July 25, 2024, to Aug. 30, 2024, printed on the side of the packaging.
The other deli meat products were produced on June 27, 2024 and are:
  • 9.5-pound and 4.5-pound full product, or various weight packages sliced in retail delis, containing “Boar’s Head Virginia Ham Old Fashioned Ham” with sell by date “AUG 10” on the product packaging.
  • 4-pound, or various weight packages sliced in retail delis, containing “Boar’s Head Italian Cappy Style Ham” with sell by date “AUG 10” on the product packaging.
  • 6-pound, or various weight packages sliced in retail delis, containing “Boar’s Head Extra hot Italian Cappy Style Ham” with sell by date “AUG 10” on the product packaging.
  • 4-pound, or various weight packages sliced in retail delis, containing “Boar’s Head Bologna” with sell by date “AUG 10” on the product packaging.
  • 2.5-pound., or various weight packages sliced in retail delis, containing “Boar’s Head Beef Salami” with sell by date “AUG 10” on the product packaging.
  • 5.5-pound, or various weight packages sliced in retail delis, containing “Boar’s Head Steakhouse Roasted Bacon Heat & Eat” with sell by date “AUG 15” on the product packaging.
  • 3-pound, or various weight packages sliced in retail delis, containing “Boar’s Head Garlic Bologna” with sell by date “AUG 10” on the product packaging.
  • 3-pound, or various weight packages sliced in retail delis, containing “Boar’s Head Beef Bologna” with sell by date “AUG 10” on the product packaging.
Health officials in Maryland discovered the bacteria in the liverwurst and believe it could be related to a recent outbreak of L. monocytogenes infections. The USDA says more testing is required to determine if Boar’s Head’s product is behind the outbreak.
Pesticides as big a cancer risk as smoking, study finds
Listeriosis can cause fever, muscle aches, headache, stiff neck, confusion, loss of balance and convulsions, sometimes preceded by diarrhea or other gastrointestinal symptoms, according to the USDA. The infection can cause serious health concerns in people who are pregnant, over age 65 or have weakened immune systems.

Dr. Paul Anthony, an infectious disease doctor at Hartford Hospital, said it may take days to appear.
“Usually, symptoms may happen 10 days after you get infected, but sometimes it can unfortunately happen the same day or up to two weeks after,” he said.
He added that symptoms should pass with time but it could be worse if you are immunocompromised.
Nationwide, three dozen people have become sick and two have died so far — none of these cases were in Connecticut.

“The best advice is to get into your fridge and if you’ve seen anything that’s been recalled, throw it out and also to clean the area where it was,” Anthony said.
Consumers who purchased the recalled deli products are urged to throw them away or return them to the store. They should also clean out their refrigerators to avoid cross-contaminating other food.
Customers were surprised to hear about the recall.
“I had bought some last week,” said Jeffrey Haddock, of Enfield. “I ate it and I didn’t get sick from it. I’m glad that I know they cleaned the shelves off.”

Anyone with questions regarding the recall can contact Boar’s Head Provisions Co., Inc., Customer Service at 1-800-352-6277.

easy_b

Easy_b is in the place to be.
BGOL Investor
This is one of my favorite deli meats. I’m glad I ate this particular slice meat in a while. When I a Publix sandwich, I am not touching Boars head meat.

Lexx Diamond

Art Lover ❤️ Sex Addict®™
Staff member
Just two nights ago I was telling my brother i don't buy deli sandwiches anymore due to poor quality cold cuts. Or small portions of cold cuts relative to all the lettuce and price. Those shops Arabs bought from Italians or Hispanics, aren't making sandwiches like the previous owners used to.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

ny1800

Rising Star
Registered
Damn, I don't eat Boars head but I will grab a grocery store deli sammich like a turkey, tuna, or chicken salad. I guess I'll have to leave that turkey deli meat alone for a while .

Lexx Diamond

Art Lover ❤️ Sex Addict®™
Staff member

This article speaks of poorest of plant management. :smh:

U.S. Department of Agriculture inspectors turned up dozens of violations at a Boar's Head plant in Virginia now linked to a nationwide recall of deli meats, according to new records released by the department, including mold, mildew and insects repeatedly found throughout the site.

Last month, Boar's Head recalled all of the deli meats made at its plant in Jarratt, Virginia, after a listeria outbreak was blamed on products distributed from the site.

The outbreak has grown to 57 hospitalizations in 18 states linked to recalled products from the plant. At least nine deaths have now been reported, including two in South Carolina and one each in Illinois, New Jersey, Virginia, Florida, Tennessee, New Mexico and New York.

"This is the largest listeriosis outbreak since the 2011 outbreak linked to cantaloupe," the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Wednesday.

Samples from unopened products distributed from the Boar's Head plant were found by authorities in multiple states to be contaminated with the bacteria Listeria monocytogenes. Genetic sequencing linked the bacteria from the products to the strain driving the outbreak.

People are urged to double check their fridges for the recalled meats and to clean any surfaces that might have touched them.

"Consumers who were unaware of the recall may have eaten recalled products. People may also have a prolonged course of illness," a spokesperson for South Carolina's health department said in a statement following the new deaths.

Records released by the USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service to CBS News through a Freedom of Information Act request tally 69 records of "noncompliances" flagged by the agency over the past year at the Jarratt plant.

It's unclear whether Boar's Head will face any penalties by the USDA for the repeat issues. Reports published by the agency so far show no "enforcement actions" taken against the company in the past year. A USDA spokesperson did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

In a statement, a Boar's Head spokesperson said the company deeply regrets the impact of the recall, and said that said food safety is their "absolute priority."

"As a USDA-inspected food producer, the agency has inspectors in our Jarratt, Virginia plant every day and if at any time inspectors identify something that needs to be addressed, our team does so immediately, as was the case with each and every issue raised by USDA in this report," company spokesperson Elizabeth Ward said.

All operations have been suspended at the Jarratt plant, Ward said, and the company is working to disinfect the plant and retrain employees. No product will be released from the plant "until it meets the highest quality and safety standards."

"During this time, we have partnered with the industry's leading global food safety experts to conduct a rigorous investigation to get to the bottom of the events leading to this recall," said Ward.

Beyond issues like paperwork lapses and leftover meat on equipment, the records show inspectors faulted Boar's Head several times for mold or mildew building up around the company's facilities in Jarratt.

In July, federal inspectors found what looked to be mold and mildew around the hand washing sinks for the workers tasked with meats that are supposed to be ready to eat.

Mold was also found building up outside of steel vats used by the plant, previous records show, as well as in holding coolers between the site's smokehouses.

"A black mold like substance was seen throughout the room at the wall/concrete junction. As well as some caulking around brick/metal," they wrote in January, saying some spots were "as large as a quarter."

Other locations were found to have a number of issues with leaking or pooling water, including a puddle found to have "a green algal growth" inside and condensation that was found to be "dripping over product being held."

After inspectors flagged one of the leaks to the company, workers tried to mop up the leaks.

"The employee wiped a third time, and the leaks returned within 10 seconds," inspectors wrote after one condensation issue was raised on July 27, near fans that looked to be blowing the liquid onto uncovered deli meats.

Beyond water, USDA faulted the company for leaks of other substances. In February, an inspector found "ample amounts of blood in puddles on the floor" and a "rancid smell" throughout a cooler used at the plant.

A number of records also flag sightings of insects in and around deli meats at the plant, including one instance that prompted the agency to tag more than 980 pounds of ham in a smokehouse hallway to be "retained" for an investigation.

In June, another record flagged concerns over flies going in and out of "vats of pickle" left by Boar's Head in a room.

"Small flying gnat like insects were observed crawling on the walls and flying around the room. The rooms walls had heavy meat buildup," they wrote.

Other parts of the facility were also found to have bugs, including what looked to be "ants traveling down the wall," as well as a beetle and a cockroach.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Speaking of listeria concerns earlier this summer ...