HAVE WE HIT THE "FUCK YOU"PART OF INFLATION?

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Are there some things that you refuse to pay the going rate for?

Example, I only eat fast food on a long road trip. I'll pack a lunch before I'll pay what some places are charging now.

Groceries I haven't really adjusted my shopping but probably should. I like to cook my own meals so I pay more for higher quality proteins and ingredients.

At what point do you change your behavior or do you just pay whatever?

BGLR1212000

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I really be paying whatever, I aint gone lie. My wife not working at the moment, but we already took our summer vacation, so I'm letting my pockets rebound. If she was working I could justify buying tickets to see Jeezy this weekend.

CoTtOnMoUf

DUMBED DOWN TO BLEND IN
BGOL Legend
I've always (inflation or not) looked for sale prices at the grocery and other stores. I am a bargain hunter and I've always been a saver.

But, I always buy what I need. When I did buy gas, I always bought from one gas station for years and they always were one of the best prices in town. When prices were crazy high, I never even looked at the price when I pumped. I buy what I want and need and never really thought much about it. I just keep life moving.

yureeka9

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I'm with you on the "only buying fast food on the road". Shits way over the top at these places now. I have some staples that I cook over and over and occasionally I get creative. Covid has pretty much changed how I shop. I hardly ever go inside grocery stores now. So I just do pick up, delivery or wholesalers.

ANGRY MAN

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Sometimes they leave us no choice..Like my car insurance went up and I’m great slow(cruising type) driver. I touch down overseas and notice At&T went up $2 on my international plan within three months. Paying $12 dollars extra a day makes about a $200 dollar phone bill next month.

Unfortunately us men have always learned when to play and when to sit home and stack bread.

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Sometimes they leave us no choice..Like my car insurance went up and I’m great slow(cruising type) driver. I touch down overseas and notice At&T went up $2 on my international plan within three months. Paying $12 dollars extra a day makes about a $200 dollar phone bill next month.

Unfortunately us men have always learned when to play and when to sit home and stack bread.
if you are willing to take the chance, you can try one of those drive safe programs where they track your driving habits. That may cut your insurance down some, just be aware that they will not only strictly monitor your driving style, but also the hours you choose to drive.

ANGRY MAN

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
if you are willing to take the chance, you can try one of those drive safe programs where they track your driving habits. That may cut your insurance down some, just be aware that they will not only strictly monitor your driving style, but also the hours you choose to drive.
Yes sir, they tried to offer me that and I couldn’t give them that much control over my vehicle.
It’s like you can monitor my driving record, that has no points or violations. Along with no accidents….damn I wonder what the 16-25 year old must pay? Probably another car note in insurance.

Darth Furious

Master
Platinum Member

Bro you aint never lied.

All those little changes add up to much more spending without folks even noticing. Just got back home from a cruise and checked the phone bill with a microscope.

Not 5 minutes ago, I actually was watching your show while ordering Arby’s online for the kids dinner tonight. There was an online special and a glitch went through where I got everybody food for 30 dollars.

Yeah, when we talking shit like this you know we in trouble.

:lol: :smh:

oNE

Darth Furious

Master
Platinum Member

Wait… what?

I had a female friend at my work tell me this but she still signed up for it. I’m like yo, both you and your husband are car people and like to speed. How does that work?? She said they still get the discount, even with the thing on both their cars with no issue. She said they don’t care but I’m not so sure about that.

oNE

Coldchi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
12-pack of sodas...(Sprite, Dr. Pepper, Pepsi).....
if they aint on sale like 4 for $12 or some shit like that......i won't buy it.
went yesterday and it was $7.99 a case. although i can afford it, i refuse to buy it unless its on sale.....lol

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Wait… what?

I had a female friend at my work tell me this but she still signed up for it. I’m like yo, both you and your husband are car people and like to speed. How does that work?? She said they still get the discount, even with the thing on both their cars with no issue. She said they don’t care but I’m not so sure about that.

oNE
They made have told her what she wanted to here to get her to sign up and go from there.

When it was first presented to me a number of years ago, I was told they would monitor how fast I drive, how often and how hard I use my brakes, and what times of day I drive. They had the nerve to tell me I would be penalized for driving home from work after my shift ended at midnight. Midnight to 4 were considered high accident hours.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Definitely do a double-take more often @ grocery store prices.

Also interesting hearing from friends and family re: their own dining out experiences too. Meals they thought were worthwhile, compared to the ones wherein they asked themselves “what the fuck did I just pay for that?!”

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I changed the frequency of groceries.
Instead of every week for bullshit snacks and ready to eat items, it's now every two weeks, which forces me to cook what I have on hand.

I'm the opposite.

I stocked up like a doomsday prepper

I use what's in here and stock it right back up.

We will not experience food insecurity in this house.

I have tried to eat more perishables so that means more trips to the store as well.

Hey Julian!

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I’m gonna say that answer for most people is connected directly their savings accounts and 401K withdrawal limits being reached. It’s not an intentional move for the most. It’s out of necessity. Spend mindset is hard to break especially when can ”afford” it on a monthly basis.

The latest estimates of overall pandemic excess savings remaining in the US economy have turned negative, suggesting that American households fully spent their pandemic-era savings as of March 2024

Use rebate apps like Upside and get some cash back on certain grocery stores, gas stations, etc.
I just started fucking with this app last month. A chick told me about it years ago and I guess I wasn’t looking for ways to save them so I never paid it any mind, but I’m collected $25 just on gas in one month.

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Use rebate apps like Upside and get some cash back on certain grocery stores, gas stations, etc.
This. I think I have every damn app you can think of to save money. Some of my homies called me the Black Jew because of how frugal I am lol

I’ll add Rakuten, receipt pal, fetch, receipt hog, and pogo. Get points for your receipts.

Rakuten gives you money back when you shop at one of their stores

Darth Furious

Master
Platinum Member
They made have told her what she wanted to here to get her to sign up and go from there.

When it was first presented to me a number of years ago, I was told they would monitor how fast I drive, how often and how hard I use my brakes, and what times of day I drive. They had the nerve to tell me I would be penalized for driving home from work after my shift ended at midnight. Midnight to 4 were considered high accident hours.

Damn. That sounds like a bunch of hoops to jump through. Dont know if it’s worth all that.

oNE

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I don't believe in making unnecessary purchases to "save money".

Food/gas etc, now that's different, I was gonna spend that money anyway, love getting something back.

I got more credit than I've ever had in life and rarely use 5 percent of it...when I do I pay it off in 30 days. No interest made off me!

Chiyo

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
When I bought groceries for my folks along with myself I checked my bank and realized I nearly spent 1 grand in groceries in May. Publix is insane.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Sad to say that this sounds about right these days. Even Sam's club and Costco tag pockets.
The thing with Costco they have lots of sales and if something you buy goes on sale within 30 days after you brought it you can get the difference back at the desk.. ive actually been taking advantage of this.. like the bounty tissue reg price was $24 last month.. joint went on sale for like $19.50 this week I went and got my $4.50 back

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The thing with Costco they have lots of sales and if something you buy goes on sale within 30 days after you brought it you can get the difference back at the desk.. ive actually been taking advantage of this.. like the bounty tissue reg price was $24 last month.. joint went on sale for like $19.50 this week I went and got my $4.50 back
That’s why Costco is KING lol

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
That’s why Costco is KING lol
Yep.. throw in the bottle recycling machine bins.. recycle all the water bottles, cans, soda, etc get that receipt and cut down prices.. I go through a pack of water a week automatically so that’s $2 right there.. hell A few times some people left their receipts in the machine and it be for several dollars.. remember a white boy came up to me like hey guy I forgot to use my bottle receipts want to take mine shit came up to like $19.. $19 off my shopping expense plus the bottle receipt I had