Hollywood News: Percy Jackson Series in Development at Disney+ UPDATE: RENEWED 2nd Season

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Percy Jackson Series in Development at Disney Plus

By Joe Otterson
Plus Icon

Kobal/Shutterstock
A Percy Jackson series is currently in the early stages of development at Disney Plus.

Rick Riordan, author of the Percy Jackson book series, made the announcement Thursday in a video on Twitter alongside his wife Becky.

Rick then followed up with a statement, which reads in part, “We can’t say much more at this stage but we are very excited about the idea of a live-action series of the highest quality, following the storyline of the original Percy Jackson five-book series, starting with The Lightning Thief in season one. Rest assured that Becky & I will be involved in person in every aspect of the show.”

The full statement can be read below.

Perseus “Percy” Jackson is the protagonist of the “Percy Jackson and the Olympians” book series. As the series begins, Percy discovers that he is in fact a demigod, the son of a human mother and the Greek god Poseidon.

who-is-in-the-cast-of-the-percy-jackson-disney-series-1589498624.jpg

In addition to “The Lightning Thief,” the series is comprised of the books “The Sea of Monsters,” “The Titan’s Curse,” “The Battle of the Labyrinth,” and “The Last Olympian.” Riordan has also published the companion book “The Demigod Files” as well as “The Demigod Diaries.”

Both “Lightning Thief” and “Sea of Monsters” were previously adapted into feature films. Logan Lerman starred as Jackson. The first filmed was released in 2010 while the second was released in 2013. The two films received mixed reviews from critics but grossed over $425 million combined worldwide.

Both films hailed from 20th Century Fox, which was acquired by Disney upon the completion of the Disney-Fox merger last year. At this time, no one from the films is believed to be involved in the series.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Percy Jackson Disney+ Series Release Date, Cast And Plot - What We Know So Far
20th Century Studios
BY ZACH LISABETH/MAY 14, 2020 7:29 PM EDT/UPDATED: MARCH 12, 2021 1:57 PM EDT
Fans of Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson novels rejoice — Disney has officially begun development on a new adaptation of the popular YA book series, and we have every reason to think the company intends to get it right.

Riordan took to Twitter to make the announcement himself (a positive sign, since the author famously distanced himself from the divisive feature film series based on his work). The author broke the news in a video alongside his wife, Becky. He captioned the post with the message, "We can't say much more at this stage but we are very excited about the idea of a live-action series of the highest quality, following the storyline of the original Percy Jackson five-book series, starting with The Lightning Thief in season one. Rest assured that Becky & I will be involved in person in every aspect of the show" (via Variety).

The new adaptation follows in the wake of 2010's Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief and its 2013 sequel, Percy Jackson and the Olympians: Sea of Monsters. Both films received lukewarm responses from critics and fans alike. The detractors cited the movies' significant and sometimes inexplicable departures from the bestselling books as a major pain point. Riordan himself claims to have never seen the movies, and has grumbled about being shut out from the production process. A close reading of his Twitter announcement suggests that this go-around may be different.

The project is only in the earliest stages of development, but here's everything we know so far.

When is the release date for the Percy Jackson Disney+ series?
20th Century Studios
Attempting to estimate the release date of a TV series just entering development is a fool's errand. Riordan's Twitter announcement made it clear that this project was still at the earliest stages, which could have a range of meanings in the studio world. We likely won't have a good sense of when the series might reach Disney+ until it enters pre-production — or at least until we have a script.

We don't even know if Disney has found a showrunner to shepherd the project yet. All we have is an early — albeit encouraging — announcement that the Mouse House is officially assembling a package around this project. A lot of pieces have to fall into place before anything actually reaches our screens. Fortunately, the Riordans have been unusually communicative about the development process via Twitter. In response to a deluge of fan inquiries about the project, Beth Riordan tweeted, "Any news to share? A couple of studio meetings this week. Getting close to wrapping up the pilot outline. A script outline isn't the same as an outline for a term paper but is more a script without dialog if that makes sense. We are having a blast! We love our team! More soon."

Then, on November 24, more good news came once again from the Riordans themselves. Becky tweeted, "Great news to share this morning. Yesterday our team sent the #PercyJackson pilot script up the chain of command at the TV studio for notes and approvals. Why is this news? Adaptation is a very slow collaborative process so we are excited for every step in the right direction!"

If all goes swimmingly and Disney approves of the preliminary round of scripts, we could potentially see the first episodes streaming sometime in 2022. Any estimated date before that — especially in light of the vast production uncertainties in the industry this year — would be foolishly optimistic. Rick Riordan himself appeared to confirm this timeline in a message to fans about production process: "So it takes me 6-12 months just to write a novel all by myself. Making a TV show is infinitely more complicated, especially w/unknown factors like the pandemic in play. We are still in the earliest stages of writing, which will take months. Most optimistic guess 2 years? Maybe?" (via CBR).

Who is in the cast of the Percy Jackson Disney+ series?
20th Century Studios
While it isn't altogether uncommon for projects to attach one or two pieces of marquee talent at early stages of development, the standard practice is to wait for a script to be produced before the casting process begins in earnest. With that in mind, it's unlikely we'll see any official casting news until the new project inches closer to pre-production.

The 2010 Percy Jackson film starred Logan Lerman as the titular demigod, alongside Brandon T. Jackson as Grover, Alexandra Daddario as Annabeth, Jake Abel as Luke, and the incomparable Sean Bean as Zeus (obviously). Considering the film series' lackluster performance and the author's own disapprobation, Disney likely wants to distance this latest project as much as possible from its forebears. For that reason, it seems unlikely that any of the actors from the films will be reprising their roles on Disney+. Most of them have aged out of their characters anyway — though Sean Bean would certainly still make a mean Zeus.

That said, Lerman, at least, seems interested in coming back to the franchise in a new capacity. When asked to comment on the Disney reboot's announcement, the actor told ET, "So, they announced the development of this show. I wonder when they will be ready to make it. They've got to approve scripts, budget it, and cast it. Do this whole thing. So, it could be a ways away for them, you know. I'm curious if there would be a role that would be interesting for me or something like that. I'd definitely consider it."

What is the plot of the Percy Jackson Disney+ series?
Amy Sussman/Getty Images
Given Riordan's enthusiasm for the streaming iteration of his magnum opus, we can assume the TV producers plan to hew much closer to his original plot than the films did. The novels follow Perseus "Percy" Jackson, a young demigod sired by the Greek sea god Poseidon. Percy was raised by his human mother, and the revelation of his divine parentage sets in motion the major conflict of the series.

The book series comprises five novels and two companion books, The Demigod Files and The Demigod Diaries. The first novel, subtitled The Lightning Thief, was released in 2005 and became an instant bestseller. It was followed by The Sea of Monsters, The Titan's Curse, The Battle of the Labyrinth, and The Last Olympian. The first film attempt at adapting the series loosely translated the events of the first novel, while the 2013 sequel appeared to blend elements from the second and fifth books.

The new series destined for Disney+ may take a Game of Thrones-like approach by adapting approximately one book per season, or it may try to cram all five novels into a single limited series event. We'll just have to wait and see. According to the very talkative author, he hopes that Disney will commit a budget similar to what's been deployed on series like WandaVision and The Mandalorian — though whether or not the Mouse is ready to pony-up Marvel numbers for a somewhat unproven franchise is still unknown (via Cinemablend).

As soon as Disney releases any more information, we'll be sure to keep you updated.

Read More: https://www.looper.com/209724/percy...release-date-cast-and-plot/?utm_campaign=clip

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I love fantasy stuff like this. I loved the movies

Percy Jackson’s Author Blesses Disney+ Adaption: ‘We’re in Great Hands’
By Alejandra Gularte

Imagine an adaption so bad that the creator refused to see it. Ok, well you don’t have to imagine it because that’s what the Percy Jackson film series was. In 2020, Percy Jackson’s author Rick Riordan called the film adaptations a “mistake” and “they should censor the entire thing. Just two hours of blank screen… We’re gonna fix it soon” But soon has finally come and Riordan has given his blessing for the upcoming Disney+ adaption of his life’s work. “I am thrilled to be the first to tell you that Percy Jackson and the Olympians is really, truly, and for sure coming to your screens,” said the Percy Jackson writer. “The smart folks at Disney+ has given us the green light.” According to The Hollywood Reporter, Riordan will be more involved with the development co-writing the pilot with Jon Steinberg. He also calls the pilot’s director James Bobin “a terrific person” and “incredibly talented director.” The film isn’t the only Percy Jackson adaption, the popular book series was recently adapted as a Broadway musical in 2019.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Lightning Strikes in New Disney+ Percy Jackson Teaser
By Charu Sinha@charulatasinha

Greek mythology nerds, assemble: The teaser for the new Disney+ Percy Jackson adaptation, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, is here. The teaser, which was unveiled at Disney’s D23 2022 expo, features ominous narration from Percy (Adam Project star Walker Scobell), who warns the audience of the dangers of being a Half-Blood: “If you think you might be one of us, my advice is: Turn away while you still can.” In addition to Scobell, the series will star Leah Sava Jeffries and Aryan Simhadri as Annabeth and Grover, respectively. The Disney+ series was green-lit back in January and won’t air until 2024, but the wait will at least be worth it for Rick Riordan, author of the original book series. Riordan, who likened the 2010 film adaptation of the first Percy Jackson book to “my life’s work going through a meat grinder,” has given his stamp of approval to the upcoming series. Watch the new teaser above.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
An Appreciation for the King of Olympus

8f180c39-67ad-4029-b1ce-54e3db2f6180_426a0d56f86ea2ddc3dffa9c3f97185a.jpg

We are devastated to hear of the untimely passing of Lance Reddick, our Zeus in season one of Percy Jackson and the Olympians. I’ve been in shock since yesterday, trying to understand how such a vibrant, kind and talented man could be so quickly taken from the world.
I met Lance on set just a few months ago, and he could not have been more wonderful and welcoming. His gravitas and regal bearing made him perfect for the king of the gods, but from what I could tell, in person he was nothing like the blustery and distant sky god. He had a marvelous and quirky sense of humor. He was thoughtful, caring and piercingly perceptive. He was a multi-faceted artist who elevated every part he played from Cedric Daniels in The Wire to Charon in John Wick to Zeus in our own show.
A musician by training, he seemed to bring that sensibility to the screen — quickly reading the tempo, the melody, and the structure of every piece, finding his place in the ensemble, and then creating unforgettable, unexpected interpretations that turned the compositions into masterpieces. As a fan, I will miss him terribly. As the creator of Percy Jackson, I will never see Zeus the same way again, and I feel so fortunate that our paths crossed, if only briefly.
It will be difficult working on those scenes in which Lance appears — not just because we mourn him, but because they will remind us of how much brilliance we have lost. At least it’s comforting to know that we’ll be able to share that performance with Lance’s millions of fans, and we will get to see his artistry in action one more time. As for me, I have trouble believing such a force of nature could ever really be gone. I will choose to think that maybe Mount Olympus simply had need of their king. Godspeed, Mr. Reddick, and thank you.
Rick Riordan