Is Jerry Seinfeld the Reason That the Amex Black Card Exists?

RoomService

Dinner is now being served.
BGOL Investor
GettyImages-105263375.jpg

In a recent episode of Jerry Seinfeld’s Netflix show “Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee” with guest John Mulaney, Seinfeld cracked open a can of worms that has long been a mysterious, yet tantalizing topic for credit card experts. His envy-provoking claim? That the American Express Centurion Card — also known as the Black Card — exists thanks to Seinfeld himself.
Owning an Amex Black Card is pretty much the highest honor you can achieve in the credit card world — TPG himself has the Business version. You can’t just apply for one of these bad boys — they are invite-only and come with extreme perks, along with a steep $2,500 annual fee. We’ve got an extensive guide to all of the card’s benefits, yet there are still some mysterious questions and urban legends surrounding the card: Who has it? How can you be invited? Is it delivered to your doorstep with security personnel and its own computer?
AMEX-centurion-black-card.jpg

So you can imagine how much street cred Seinfeld is implying by saying he’s basically the reason the card was invented, especially because sources contradict each other on the topic of the Black Card’s conception… but we’ll come back to that in a moment.
In any case, Seinfeld explained the story on his show after proudly whipping out the anodized titanium card to pay for a rug for his guest Mulaney. The story comes from the era in which Seinfeld was the main spokesperson for Amex — in fact, the anecdote starts on the set of an Amex ad. Here’s exactly how Seinfeld claims that the Black Card came to be (minus a couple of “oohs” and “aahs” from Mulaney’s end):
“I was waiting for [the crew] to move some cameras, and the crew guy comes up me, he says, ‘You got the Black Card?’ And I go ‘No, what’s the Black Card?’ He says, ‘There’s only three in the world. The Sultan of Brunei has one, the president of American Express has one, and I thought you would have the third one.’ Next morning I call the president of American Express. I go, ‘Is there a Black Card?’ He says, ‘It’s just a rumor. It doesn’t exist.’ He said, ‘But you know what? It’s not a bad idea.’ And so they developed it, and they gave me the first one.”
Now — don’t get us wrong — it’s a great story. However, we were curious to know just how accurate it is, especially since there are a few facts that might not quite jibe with this tale.
So we did a bit of digging. Our first goal was to clear up exactly what year the Black Card came out. Wikipedia claims the card debuted in 1991, while Snopes says it was 1999. Seinfeld began as a spokesperson for Amex in 1995, so depending on which version is correct, this single detail could completely invalidate his claim. Because if the Black Card was created in 1991, there’s no way that Seinfeld was on the set of an American Express ad before even being an Amex testimonial. On the other hand, 1999 would fall right in line with the timeline of Seinfeld’s story.
Jerry Seinfeld and director Barry Levinson on the set of an American Express shoot. (Photo by Theo Wargo/WireImage/Getty Images)
We reached out to Amex to reconcile the year, and the issuer confirmed that the card was launched in 1999, meaning it is in fact possible that Seinfeld was a component of its conception (and yet another reason not to trust Wikipedia).
But was he really? Since Amex was willing to answer a few questions, we also asked them directly about Seinfeld’s anecdote as a whole. Here’s what a representative told us:

“We cannot attribute the existence of the American Express Centurion Card to just one Card Member, as we take a great deal of customer insights and feedback into account when we develop our Card products, benefits and services.”

This explanation is careful not to point to Seinfeld as the sole reason that the card was developed… yet it also doesn’t rule him out as being a vital influencer in the development of the sought-after card.
But here’s the thing: creating a credit card isn’t an impulse decision. It takes time and resources to determine and work through what a card entails as far as requirements and benefits. It can take months or even years to negotiate the perks of a card, and this specific card is unarguably the most extensive one that Amex offers (the word “offers” is used lightly).
So despite all his power and glory, it’s doubtful that Seinfeld was the only reason that the Black Card was developed. It’s clear from his story that, although the card didn’t physically exist when he first heard about it, it certainly existed as a concept in people’s minds — from camera operators all the way up to the president of American Express. It’s safe to say that, even if American Express wasn’t actively considering it before Seinfeld brought it up, the thought of the card was one that even executives had toyed with.
As essentially the face of Amex at the time, Jerry Seinfeld was likely one of many high-earning Amex clients interested in getting an exclusive, brag-worthy card, all of whom influenced American Express’ decision to bring the card to life. We may never know how great of a bearing he personally held over Amex to make it happen, but one more vital piece of information is still unconfirmed: Was Seinfeld in fact the very first Centurion cardholder? TPG has reached out to American Express for comment again. Stay tuned…

RoomService

BGOL Investor
He definitely played a role

You didn't read the article:

“We cannot attribute the existence of the American Express Centurion Card to just one Card Member, as we take a great deal of customer insights and feedback into account when we develop our Card products, benefits and services.”

easy_b

Easy_b is in the place to be.
BGOL Investor
You didn't read the article:

I didn’t need to read the article the black card Was originally made for people who his financial situation is in the black

Last edited:

DJCandle

BGOL Investor
I don't know if he's the reason or not, (could very well be) but I do distrinctly remember all the buzz of that card when I was in high school in 99 and it did surround Jerry Seinfeld.

I always wondered what it took to obtain outside of those. Obviously an obscene amount fianance but I never knew it was invitation only.

What if you just won $500 million in the lottery and Amex doesn't know who you are? Could you call em and apply?

ShadyPat

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I don't know if he's the reason or not, (could very well be) but I do distrinctly remember all the buzz of that card when I was in high school in 99 and it did surround Jerry Seinfeld.

I always wondered what it took to obtain outside of those. Obviously an obscene amount fianance but I never knew it was invitation only.

What if you just won $500 million in the lottery and Amex doesn't know who you are? Could you call em and apply?
I don't think you can apply. It's more of an invitation only. U are invited to accept or reject the card offer. If you say no then cool, if you say yes then you get it. The investigation is done on you prior to you getting an invitation. So Amex basically knows everything that they need to know about you beforehand. So basically no application. I know someone who has one.

DJCandle

BGOL Investor
I don't think you can apply. It's more of an invitation only. U are invited to accept or reject the card offer. If you say no then cool, if you say yes then you get it. The investigation is done on you prior to you getting an invitation. So Amex basically knows everything that they need to know about you beforehand. So basically no application. I know someone who has one.
Makes sense. What do you think the bare minimum would be to satisfy Amex?

$100m net worth?

BDR

BeatDownRecs
BGOL Investor

No...

Your credit better be 900 and your liquidity better be over 100 mill lmaooo and even then Amex ain’t giving you that shit your not a celeb... You can settle for their platinum card tho... Shit is metal and heavy as fuck lol

DJCandle

BGOL Investor
No...

Your credit better be 900 and your liquidity better be over 100 mill lmaooo and even then Amex ain’t giving you that shit your not a celeb... You can settle for their platinum card tho... Shit is metal and heavy as fuck lol
Daaamn metal tho?? TSA must be about to go through with that lol

Reactions: BDR

RoomService

BGOL Investor
Naw. You just need great credit (long spend history) and you need to spend 100-500k a year on it. Most of the time, they graduate people up from the Amex Platinum..which is a great card..the perks are amazing if you travel alot.
A friend of mine was offered one for his business but he declined because of the initiation fee of $7500 ..

Btw he charges about 3 to 400,000 a year And has a 16 year relationship with amex

DJCandle

BGOL Investor
I have two metals CCs and people always comment on it when I hand it to them...even people that handle a lot of credit cards..just must not be that common... they're way heavier than normal cards
Yea I didn't know those metal cards existed. Is it annoying in the wallet?

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
Yea I didn't know those metal cards existed. Is it annoying in the wallet?

You really don't feel the difference in your wallet. They're nice to hold. But the perks are great, man. You pay a high annual fee but you get it all back plus way more with the credits you get on things, free services, free upgrades on all types of things..it's nice.

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
A friend of mine was offered one for his business but he declined because of the initiation fee of $7500 ..

Btw he charges about 3 to 400,000 a year And has a 16 year relationship with amex

The annual fee is scary unless you know you're going to use it for what they're worth. You'll get the fees back pretty quickly if you actually use the cards and take advantage of the credits and perks. They're not for everyone though.

Reactions: BDR

BDR

BeatDownRecs
BGOL Investor
I have two metals CCs and people always comment on it when I hand it to them...even people that handle a lot of credit cards..just must not be that common... they're way heavier than normal cards

Basically.... I have one as well... thought I was king shit with it lmaooo

RoomService

BGOL Investor
The annual fee is scary unless you know you're going to use it for what they're worth. You'll get the fees back pretty quickly if you actually use the cards and take advantage of the credits and perks. They're not for everyone though.
That motherfucker is just cheap. The $5000 initiation fee plus the 2,500 annual fee can be written off on your business taxes

Spectrum

Elite Poster
BGOL Investor
That motherfucker is just cheap. The $5000 initiation fee plus the 2,500 annual fee can be written off on your business taxes

I don't have that one. Mine has a lower fee. However, I'm sure the bonus points and other kickbacks he'll get will pretty much cover the annual fee. Between the points, travel reimbursements, travel credits, etc I got my fee back literally as a statement credit within the first couple of months.

RoomService

BGOL Investor

Company Sells "Replica" Amex Black Card, So You Can Fake Flex​

If you’re looking to overcompensate with your (fake) credit card, then this might be the best money you’ll ever spend…

• Steel Skins creates “replica” prestigious cards
  • I don’t understand credit card “flexing”
  • Bottom line

Steel Skins creates “replica” prestigious cards​

In the battle for wallet share, credit card issuers have put a lot of effort into card aesthetics over the years, from using metal for the card material, to having limited edition designs.

While there are quite a few premium credit cards nowadays, there’s a tier above those cards, which are typically invitation only. Easily the most famous is the Amex Centurion Card, often referred to as the Amex Black Card. There are endless social references to it, and it’s very much a larger-than-life product.

Well, if you’ve ever wanted an Amex Black Card without getting an invitation or spending the money, here’s your opportunity… sort of. There’s a company named Steel Skins, which creates “replicas” of prestigious cards.

Essentially, any existing debit or credit card can be redesigned to look like one of several premium credit cards.

Steel-Skins-1.jpg
Steel Skins creates replica cards
Pricing ranges from $209.99 to $429.99, depending on the card you want, with options including the Amex Centurion Card, the JP Morgan Reserve Card, and the Dubai First Royale Card.

Steel-Skins-2.jpg
Steel Skins card & pricing options
The way this works, you mail them the card that you want to be converted into one of these premium cards. Once the company receives the card, they’ll transplant the EMV chip and transfer the magnetic stripe information onto the replica card, with your details engraved.

The card is then supposed to work like any other card, except it won’t have a contactless payment option. Still, it should work for all point of sale machines, as well as ATM machines.

Let me be entirely clear here — I’m writing about this because I find it equal parts amusing and pathetic, and not because I think anyone should spend their money on this. For that matter, I can’t imagine this company will be around very long, as this clearly violates the copyright policies of banks.

I don’t understand credit card “flexing”​

Look, I absolutely love credit cards. But the reason I love them is because of the great rewards that they offer, and not because of any ability to “flex” based on the type of card, or the design. I’m not here to judge those who get invitation only credit cards, because in some cases the cards offer decent perks, which may justify the annual fee to some.

However, there’s also no denying that a lot of people get these kinds of cards because they want to flex when they make purchases… and that’s something I’ll never be able to make sense of.

Look, I’m an introvert, and in many ways, I’m not cut out for society. I don’t particularly enjoy small talk with strangers, and I certainly don’t want to impress them.

I don’t understand the psychology of going somewhere and wanting to convince people that one is loaded. I feel guilty enough going to the grocery store and spending X amount on food, and thinking how long the check-out clerk has to work to be able to afford to feed their family. I certainly wouldn’t walk out feeling any better if I thought “gosh, I hope that clerk realized how loaded I must be to be paying a $10K annual fee on a card.”

And that’s also what makes this concept even sadder. It’s for people who think “maybe I should spent $259.99 so that I can convince strangers that I spend $10,000 per year on a credit card.” On second thought, that basically describes Miami society in a nutshell.

So this is probably all a “me issue.” I mean, we live in a world that idolizes people like Kim Kardashian (or at least did — it seems her stock might be down a bit?). This TrustPilot review of Steel Skins is probably more in line with how many others feel:

Never expected a simple card have such an effect on people, waitresses and workers change their attitude once I pull out the card lmao.

Bottom line​

There’s a company that essentially converts any debit or credit card into an invitation only credit card, by transplanting the EMV chip and transferring the magnetic stripe to your choice of special cards. I can’t imagine this company won’t face some lawsuits soon over this, but in the meantime, goodness, I feel like this might just be a new low with flexing…

What do you make of this “replica” card concept?

LILGROWN1

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I have 2 platinum card and I love them. The other week I was in Chicago at a nice cigar lounge. Two guys pulled out theirs. It was my first time seeing one in person.