Jay Z producing two Trayvon Martin Projects

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Sorry if this is a repost...didn't see it when doing a search.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/j...ovie-documentary-series-weinstein-1202015276/

Jay Z, Weinstein Company to Make Trayvon Martin Film and Documentary Series (EXCLUSIVE)

By Justin Kroll,
Brent Lang

trayvon-martin.jpg

BRIAN BLANCO/EPA/REX/SHUTTERSTOCK
MARCH 23, 2017 | 04:27PM PT

Shawn “Jay Z” Carter and the Weinstein Company are partnering on an ambitious series of film and television projects about Trayvon Martin, Variety has learned.

The indie label and the rap icon won a heated bidding war for the rights to two books — “Suspicion Nation: The Inside Story of the Trayvon Martin Injustice and Why We Continue to Repeat It” and “Rest in Power: The Enduring Life of Trayvon Martin.” The 2012 shooting of the 17-year-old Martin sparked a national debate about racial profiling and inequities of the criminal justice system that brought about the Black Lives Matter movement. The African-American high school student was killed by George Zimmerman, a 28-year-old mixed race Hispanic man, who was a member of the neighborhood watch in his Florida community. He claimed he shot Martin, who was unarmed, in self defense after the two became involved in a physical altercation. Zimmerman’s acquittal on a second-degree murder charge inspired protests around the country.

RELATED

Jay Z, Harvey Weinstein Talk ‘Unbelievably Due’ Kalief Browder Docuseries

“Suspicion Nation” is by Lisa Bloom and recounts her experience covering the trial for NBC. She looks at the mistakes made by prosecutors that caused them to lose what she describes as a “winnable case.” “Rest in Power” is by Martin’s parents, Sybrina Fulton and Tracy Martin. It tells a more personal story, looking at Martin’s childhood and the aftermath of his death.

The plan is to make a six-part docu-series with Jay Z producing as part of a first-look deal he signed with the studio last September. The indie studio will also develop a narrative feature film. The Weinstein Company earned critical raves for “Fruitvale Station,” another true story, about the death of Oscar Grant, an unarmed black man who was killed in 2009 by a BART police officer.

The Weinstein Company confirmed the deal, but declined to offer comment.

There were several other studios interested in the project, including Fox Searchlight, Universal on behalf of Will Packer, and Ted Field. The Weinstein Company closed the deal last week. TWC honchos Harvey Weinstein and David Glasser had a marathon meeting on Oscar weekend in their Los Angeles office with Jay Z and Martin’s parents. They made it clear that they were most concerned with seeing their son’s life and legacy honored.

The authors were represented by Jan Miller and Lacy Lynch of Dupree Miller & Associates. Glasser, Weinstein, and Jay Z brokered the deal for the company.

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
I'm not feeling this. To me, it comes off as capitalizing off the young man's name/death.

We obviously don't have a say, especially if the family supports this, but this makes me feel like we may be headed towards similar territory of the trend of slave narrative films we've seen over the years.

What next, a new genre of films based on lives/deaths of injustice or victims of police shootings?

Sadly, they could do a whole bunch of films off the endless list of names who were victims.

I'd rather they create scholarships in his/their names instead.

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
Saw an interview the other day with his parents and I do believe she mentioned that there is a scholarship in place. The sad part of all this is that is the fact that white America (Fox News) and conservative radio has turned Trayvon into the villain of this story.
I figured there probably was. Would hope that Jay supported and funded the scholarship (and others who were murdered similarly) instead of making it into a hollywood production.

Llano

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm not feeling this. To me, it comes off as capitalizing off the young man's name/death.

We obviously don't have a say, especially if the family supports this, but this makes me feel like we may be headed towards similar territory of the trend of slave narrative films we've seen over the years.

What next, a new genre of films based on lives/deaths of injustice or victims of police shootings?

Sadly, they could do a whole bunch of films off the endless list of names who were victims.

It's dammed if you do & damned if you don't with rappers. We criticize them for not being vocal about our injustices and criticize them when they're involved in a project that calls out injustices.

I think these films are needed in the grand scheme of things. Jay is sitting on damn near a billion dollars, I'm sure he can involve himself in more profitable projects if he was just trying to make a buck. Him and Beyonce have been vocal about shit that's been going on for a minute so I think they're sincere about it, even meeting with the families... but to each his own.

2 ONE 3

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Fucking this!! It feels like a capital gain of the young man's death. And well we all know the story of Travon Martin what actual justice is being done for the young man? if you ask me this seems like exploitation.

WestIndianArchie

Rising Star
Registered
It's just funny what Ice Cube said about the Weinsteins and how all of a sudden they've been taking an interest Jays projects about bad shit happening to black people. There is a good market for this. Truth be told, 13 by Ava Duvernay was proof. They all want the success of Hidden Colors and y'all won't believe how much bread Tariq has earned off his series, independently. Put it this way, he's paid for comfort and safety in these times of speaking truth to power. People still question if he's partnered with Jews secretly to exploit us.

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
all of a sudden they've been taking an interest Jays projects about bad shit happening to black people.

That's one reason why I don't want to see this move forward. There is so much more to the Black experience in America than bad shit.

Why not focus on positive things.

Hollywood always pushes the slave, sad, abusive, depressing narrative when it comes to the Black American experience.

Jay has enough bread to support positive narratives without having to partner with the Weinstein Company.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

For what those parents went through....if they wanted to capitalize off their sons death I have no problem with it. George Zimmerman sure manages too.

CORNBREAD

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Dont know much about the WEINSTEIN company. Why Jay Z and why now? Now that he is working on this I would hope he gives talented blacks opportunity to work on this documentary.

The Untouchable GDFOLKS

Real Niggas Get Real Pussy
BGOL Investor

You are not even black, please stay out of our affairs.

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor
As long as Zimmerman doesn't make a dime from this, I'm fine with it.

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend

As we watch countless other people tell their stories about all facets and walks of life.
I just don't get it.
He ain't doing it without the family blessing and he's been in lock step with them since the shit went down.
I mean why can't we make everything we want without it being a problem?
He just did the Browder story and it brought more attention to injustice that happened
why not have a documentary on this because the narrative is that zimmerman didn't do anything wrong because he didn't even go to jail.
why not show all of it so that there is a record showing the true story behind it and how fucked up it was?

largebillsonlyplease

Large
BGOL Legend
Start exploring and documenting the shit that happens to us.
Jews will not let a year go by without a holocaust movie or a show talking about hitler or anything of the sort
every motherfucking year
and we complaining cause we want to not forget the atrocities that have been committed against us and wonder why people tell us to get over it?
cause we tell ourselves get over
"im tired of slave" = get over it.
PERIOD

KingTaharqa

Greatest Of All Time
BGOL Investor
I figured there probably was. Would hope that Jay supported and funded the scholarship (and others who were murdered similarly) instead of making it into a hollywood production.

Not sure if that is the case here but this situation went down wit Oprah and the Henrietta Lacks Story. Her family feels she Hollywoodized and exploited her story.

ORIGINAL NATION

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Ummm I think this could be done but only a few people could know what the end results will be.
I understand the trying to start out underground. Moving in that direction would let them know they are losing control of us. I was raised up off of candy, meat, then drugs and the forcing of being controlled.
I would not want my kids to have to go thru what I went thru. I do not have any kids but I have found out that originally we only ate raw fruits and vegetables. We had natural powers that they would have us to believe do not exist. I would raise my kids to be themselves and regain those natural powers.
Whites are our enemies, and it is their job to keep us from being ourselves. That is the only way they can rule the world with the worship of war.
Since I am in Alabama, Alabama is my target for building a black nation (THE ORIGINAL BLACK NATION). There is a time period that is lost. They tell us about Adam and Eve to keep you from finding out the real story yourself. Or the whole story.
There greatest fear is a black male being himself (God).

Mentor B

"All literature is protest."
Registered
This is a good thing because constantly putting that truth out there for our youth is necessary.

Our children need to know there is no gray area/common ground with the white supremacists.

White supremacists are disgruntled by our mere existence due to their genetic recessiveness.

Entrepronegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I agree with you.

mark115

Rising Star
Registered
Hmm... I wonder would the reaction be different if Tavis Smiley or Al ect had done this.