Kamela Harris going hard for the BGOL vote (supports decriminalizing "sex work")

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
Dr. Truth, when will you be hosting your first Johns for Kamela house party?

Kamala Harris supports decriminalizing sex work
BY JOHN BOWDEN - 02/26/19 12:23 PM EST

Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) says that she supports the decriminalization of sex work nationwide, noting that "we can't criminalize consensual behavior as long as no one is being harmed."

In an interview with The Root, Harris was asked whether sex work "ought to be decriminalized," though the interviewer did not specify at which level.

"I do," Harris responded. "I think that we have to understand, though, that it is not as simple as that. ... There's an ecosystem around that, that involves crimes that harm people. And for those issues, I do not believe that anybody who hurts another human being or profits off of their exploitation should be ... free of criminal prosecution.

"But when you're talking about consenting adults? Yes, we should really consider that we can't criminalize consensual behavior as long as no one is being harmed," she added.

Harris also explained her support for the Stop Enabling Sex Traffickers Act (SESTA) in the interview, which sex workers and advocates argued shut down online platforms such as Backpage.com and others which workers used to screen clients and establish safer working procedures.

"I was advocating [15 years ago] that we have to stop arresting these prostitutes and start going after the johns and the pimps, because we were criminalizing the women," Harris told The Root.

"Backpage was providing advertisements for the sale of children. Of minors," she added, responding to the criticism of the shuttering of Backpage.com. "And so I called for them to be shut down. And I have no regrets about that."

Harris announced her candidacy for the White House in 2020 last month and joined a crowded and growing field of Democrats including her fellow Sens. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) and Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.).

Along with Warren, Harris has also endorsed some form of reparations for black Americans affected by the legacy of slavery.

"We have to be honest that people in this country do not start from the same place or have access to the same opportunities," Harris told The New York Times last week. "I’m serious about taking an approach that would change policies and structures and make real investments in black communities."

Rembrandt Brown

Slider
Registered
She almost went all the way out there for the BGOL vote but quickly walked that shit back when it came to reparations.

Exclusive: Kamala Harris Calls for Decriminalization of Sex Work, Unequivocally Calls Trump a Racist and Wants Reparations (Sort of)

U.S Sen. Kamala Harris, a frontrunner in the burgeoning 2020 race for the Democratic nomination for president, is addressing criticisms of her criminal justice record and, more recently, her stance on reparations.

Harris told The Root that she supports reparations for black people, but that is not precisely what she told The Grio’s Natasha Alford after we spoke with her. For reparations, Harris said she supports the Lift Act, which would provide a tax credit for all families making up to $100,000. When Alford followed up by saying that’s a default benefit to black people but isn’t exactly reparations, Harris had this to say:

“If you look at the reality of who will benefit from certain policies, when you take into account that they are not starting on equal footing, it will directly benefit black children, black families, black homes-owners because the disparities are so significant,” she said. “So, if we focus on the specific issues that have resulted in the greatest disparities and we understand that is part of why we’re doing it.”

“Listen, the reality is also this: any policy that will benefit black people, will benefit all of society. Let’s be clear about that. Let’s really be clear about that. So, I’m not gonna sit here and say I’m going to do something that only benefits black people. No. because whatever benefits that black family will benefit that community and society as a whole and the country.”

Well, that’s not reparations. It’s more of a rising tide lifts all boats kinda logic. Take a listen to our interview to hear Harris explain her position more.

Julián Castro was more direct in his focus on “people who are the descendants of slaves.” He didn’t say “all people.” Big difference.

On a more promising note, Harris says she is open to seeing sex work decriminalized. For those who have criticized her support of SESTA (The Stop Enabling Sex Traffickers Act of 2017) and FOSTA (Allow States and Victims to Fight Online Sex Trafficking Act of 2017), her willingness to explore decriminalization may be welcome news—or not.

In our interview, Harris also discussed why she feels Donald Trump is a racist (unlike presidential candidates Cory Booker or Castro, Harris flat out said Trump is a racist), and what it means to try and get votes from people who supported him despite his racist views. We also asked her to reflect on her time as a prosecutor.

This is one of many conversations we plan on having with Harris as the 2020 presidential campaign continues. Check out our full interview and tell us what you think.

LINK: https://www.theroot.com/exclusive-kamala-harris-calls-for-decriminalization-of-1832883951

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
She may be too damn progressive for her own good....

However, where was thos progressiveness when she was a prosecutor locking up blacks and giving them harsh ass sentences for this shit she is now for.....?

As a prosecutor she could've chosen not to prosecute or engage in jail terms for these offenses, but that's not what she did....

So she made a full 180 on these policies in less than 4yrs....? Or is she just pandering to a particular demographic?

Dr. Truth

QUACK!
BGOL Investor
Republikkklans are overwhelmingly in favor of this too since they all tricks and fags. This may help her

forcesteeler

Rising Star
Registered
Republikkklans are overwhelmingly in favor of this too since they all tricks and fags. This may help her

This will not go well with the feminist. The last thing they want is men buying pussy like buying milk at a local wallmart. Women/wifes will lose a lot of control and power

zod16

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
She may be too damn progressive for her own good....

However, where was thos progressiveness when she was a prosecutor locking up blacks and giving them harsh ass sentences for this shit she is now for.....?

As a prosecutor she could've chosen not to prosecute or engage in jail terms for these offenses, but that's not what she did....

So she made a full 180 on these policies in less than 4yrs....? Or is she just pandering to a particular demographic?

Bernie just raised $10 million in a fucking week so she has to go hard left to try to stay relevant in a crowded field. You already addressed the big problem she has: she's not actually progressive. She seems like an empty suit at best to me but I guess we will have to see how this all pans out. It is also going to be interesting to see what Biden, Beto et al. end up doing.

praetor

Rising Star
OG Investor
Unless minors, trafficking, or maybe crossing state lines were involved, prostitution is not a federal crime. Which means her support is meaningless.