any tips ...? Whats the best grass seeds also ... i live in Virginia Beach

working on my lawn for nex spring ...

i need my shit to look like this ...:D

tumblr_pnvaarBj1W1ujoupq_1280.jpg

tumblr_pnvaasqPPL1ujoupq_1280.jpg

Adam Knows

YouTube: Adam Knows
Platinum Member
it's time to weed, overseed and fertilize.

i'm going a different route as we speak, i'm killing it all. this new construction they put down garbage seed which is basically all weeds and junk. i'm killing everything this week then heavily seeding next week.

and you need to go with ryegrass or fescue where you're at. i'm going with kentucky bluegrass and and ryegrass

shonuff

Rising Star
Registered
eehhh
Its that time 2 seed n weed ...?

any tips ...? Whats the best grass seeds also ... i live in Virginia Beach

working on my lawn for nex spring ...

i need my shit to look like this ...:D

tumblr_pnvaarBj1W1ujoupq_1280.jpg

tumblr_pnvaasqPPL1ujoupq_1280.jpg

well whats pictured above is kentucky blue which comes back and splits off - it smakes a network and bed- the rye only comes up and dies by the time it gets cold and is just good to bind up the soil and hold moisture - the fescu is the longer and deeper growing grass that is drought resistant and is good for when its hot and rains are less....

rye takes - about 2wks to a month to get going good
Kentucky blue takes about a month
Fescu takes about a month to 6 weeks

check the bag on fertilizer - NPK - Nitrogen Phosphorus and Potassium - up ( tall grass ) down ( deep root) and around ( all around plant health)

- this is not really the time for seeding given that its about to be cold in the next 2 to 3 weeks - there is a winter mix but if your ground freezes up it no good

if anything during the late winter like in feb or march put down that weed block

then in late march or april drop that perennial rye so you can get shoots going by the time it gets warm in late april or may - by the time of may drop that kentucky blue and fescu mix so it can come up in june and july - late july and august drop the anti grub and pest

dont ever drop fertilizer in the middle of the day - and when you do drench that lawn

you cant put down weed block and fertilizer/new seed at the same time the weed block will slow or stop you new grass from taking root.

dunno what kind soil you got but is the shit is sandy or stony or not really good dark earth - you arent getting a good lawn.

good luck

supreme_kos

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Can't put down a herbicide and grass seed, need to wait at least a month.
I bought a house in July, Northwest Indiana. The yard is in poor condition; Weeds, bare spots, clover. Due to the extreme heat and lack of rain during the summer and early fall, I didnt put down my Scotts fall weed/feed until the end of September. I had the yard aerated, and will put down some more Scott's Winterguard (it's just fertilizer) and some Milorganite(another fertilizer). My plan was to try and overseed before the end of fall, but because of weather trends, I'm waiting until early spring. In late February/early March, Scott's Halts weed/feed will go down. I'll overseed in early April. Depending on how the weed control goes, I may need to postpone overseeding until next fall.

rude_dog

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Don't buy from Lowes or Home Depot. Ace has Jonathan Greene which is better but not higher end.

rude_dog

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Can't put down a herbicide and grass seed, need to wait at least a month.
I bought a house in July, Northwest Indiana. The yard is in poor condition; Weeds, bare spots, clover. Due to the extreme heat and lack of rain during the summer and early fall, I didnt put down my Scotts fall weed/feed until the end of September. I had the yard aerated, and will put down some more Scott's Winterguard (it's just fertilizer) and some Milorganite(another fertilizer). My plan was to try and overseed before the end of fall, but because of weather trends, I'm waiting until early spring. In late February/early March, Scott's Halts weed/feed will go down. I'll overseed in early April. Depending on how the weed control goes, I may need to postpone overseeding until next fall.
You can put down Tenacity down with seeds, at least here in Michigan. I'm not sure about warm season grass. It's in the new Scotts.