man steals a $100 bill from a stores register. Then he buys $70 worth of goods @ that store using the $100 bill, and gets $30 change. How much….

Skydove

Rising Star
Registered
100 Dollars Stolen Riddle || A Man Stole 100 Dollars Riddle answer || Solution Explained

A man steals a $100 bill from a stores register. Then he buys $70 worth of goods at that store using the $100 bill, and gets $30 change.
How much money did the store lose?

Jojopeeps69

Rising Star
OG Investor
$230. Money in register was made from previous sales of merchandise. Dude lifted a hundred, and bought $70 of merch, which store paid for, and gave him $30 as change. Actually minus mark-up on merch, plus cost of procurement of merch.. But Essentially the store got fucked out of $230. It would be $1k on the police report:yes:

mangobob79

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
$230. Money in register was made from previous sales of merchandise. Dude lifted a hundred, and bought $70 of merch, which store paid for, and gave him $30 as change. Actually minus mark-up on merch, plus cost of procurement of merch.. But Essentially the store got fucked out of $230. It would be $1k on the police report:yes:

if he didn't buy anything ..how much would the store have lost?

A to Dah K

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

He gave the $100 back

Simply Sickenin'

Valar Morghulis ....
BGOL Investor
The real riddle is how much time or fine does the person get if/when they get caught.

And depending on the answer to that first question, was stealing the $100 dollars even worth it? :dunno:

T_Holmes

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
$100.

$70 in groceries, $30 in cash.
Yup. I spent a minute overthinking this, but this is right.

The grocer doesn't "lose" money in the purchase, because the exchange is equal (70 bucks for 70 dollars in groceries)
He also doesn't lose any in the change exchange (that's just thirty dollars returned that was owed as change).
The only actual loss is the original theft, which was $100.

Gods_Debris

Rising Star
Registered
100 Dollars Stolen Riddle || A Man Stole 100 Dollars Riddle answer || Solution Explained

A man steals a $100 bill from a stores register. Then he buys $70 worth of goods at that store using the $100 bill, and gets $30 change.
How much money did the store lose?

How much are the goods worth wholesale?

It's 30 plus that amount so more like 60 bucks most likely

cashwhisperer

My favorite key is E♭
BGOL Investor
Yup. I spent a minute overthinking this, but this is right.

The grocer doesn't "lose" money in the purchase, because the exchange is equal (70 bucks for 70 dollars in groceries)
He also doesn't lose any in the change exchange (that's just thirty dollars returned that was owed as change).
The only actual loss is the original theft, which was $100.

This is correct, but my reasoning is

I stole 100.
Then I gave the store back their 100.

At this point the store has lost nothing.

But now they decided to give me $70 in food and $30 in cash.

Now the store has lost $100.

Clubber_lang

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
he stole $30 + whatever the wholesale price is for the items purchased with the stolen money. The till is going to come up $100 short.

letsshoot

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
he stole $100 then he gives it back 100 ( even ) buys 70 product ( -70 ) gets 30 change ( -30 ) owner lost $100 bucks.. Old crackhead pimp move!!
giphy.webp

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
100+70+30.... remember he had nothing before he stole the 100.l know their going to say but he spent 70 in the store but it comes from the stolen 100 so it's all stolen.

That's like a motherfucker stealing your car and u use Uber for a ride to the police station and it's him whole your car and your car that comes to drop you off to file a report on your stolen car.

The car is still stolen,fuck the u er ride

alexw

Unapologetically Afrikan!
Platinum Member
I teach my students to draw problems like these out. It's designed to deceive

First the register. It was down $-100 but when he paid, that $100 is returned. Register is no longer in a deficit.

Now the man receives $30 back. Register is down $-30 plus the goods he has worth $70.

Store register lost $30 and the store itself lost $70 in goods.

Overall store loss is $100