Matt Holliday choked last night in the Dodgers game. Period! Why is the media

revenge

Star
Registered
...making excuses for him? I'm rooting for the Dodgers so I really don't care, but...

If a Manny or Juan Pierre dropped a ball like that and cost thier team the game--Skip Clueless and the ESPN Lynch Mob would be ripping them a new one with columns, commentary and ESPN's very effective method of injecting tone and negative attitude in the way their anchors report and read "certain" stories.

Usage of eye raises, voice inflection, surprise and outrage--don't sleep, their method is very effective in the way a story is perceived by the casual watcher(who is the majority).

I know,
Blunt in 4, 3, 2, 1...

Blunt

Rising Star
Registered
He IS being trashed all over the place (rightly so), even though he clearly just lost the ball (and didn't "choke" on a simple catch).

Take your self-pitying blinders off. :smh:

sirwoodz

Rising Star
Registered
...making excuses for him? I'm rooting for the Dodgers so I really don't care, but...

If a Manny or Juan Pierre dropped a ball like that and cost thier team the game--Skip Clueless and the ESPN Lynch Mob would be ripping them a new one with columns, commentary and ESPN's very effective method of injecting tone and negative attitude in the way their anchors report and read "certain" stories.

Usage of eye raises, voice inflection, surprise and outrage--don't sleep, their method is very effective in the way a story is perceived by the casual watcher(who is the majority).

I know,
Blunt in 4, 3, 2, 1...

He IS being trashed all over the place, even though he clearly just lost the ball (and didn't "choke" on a simple catch).

Take your self-pitying blinders off. :smh:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

sirwoodz

Rising Star
Registered
Dumbass cowards aren't gonna intimidate me into not responding when I feel like it. Those types of juvenile Klan tactics don't work on grown-ups with self-esteem. BTW, I'm glad he's got me on his mind. :rolleyes:

:lol::lol::lol:

oh and...

hqdefault.jpg

MonkeyBizness

Man of the People
Registered
10-09-2009, 12:21 PM - OP's 1st post

10-09-2009 12:24 PM - Blunt reply.

Blunt, you're getting slow…

jus' sayin'.

Blunt

Rising Star
Registered
10-09-2009, 12:21 PM - OP's 1st post

10-09-2009 12:24 PM - Blunt reply.

Blunt, you're getting slow…

jus' sayin'.

I'm kinda flattered by your close attention to me. Not sure what you're getting out of it though. But carry on. :yes:

twillz1

The Voice of Reason
BGOL Investor

I know,
Blunt in 4, 3, 2, 1...

There's truth in what you say regarding how sports/ news is covered. However, that drop doesn't fall into the 'choke' category, IMO.

revenge

Star
Registered
there was no excuse for him misplaying that fly ball last night. :smh::smh::smh::smh:

Are you fuckin kidding... Skip "I hate all Black Athletes" Bayless" gave him a pass, Tim Kerchkin(sp) said he felt sorry for him... It was really sad. Let's see what the Around the Horn Crew has to say--they are a bit more fair.

doggish_098

Rising Star
Registered
He said the fans should not be allowed to use white towels.. he lost the ball in the towels :lol::lol::lol::lol:

he didn't loose that ball in the lights he dropped the shit. If he lost it in my opinion he would have under played it or over played it.

revenge

Star
Registered
There's truth in what you say regarding how sports/ news is covered. However, that drop doesn't fall into the 'choke' category, IMO.

Dude, he nutted up. Plain and simple. He got a visual on the ball and could not decide if he wanted to catch it palm up or down--that's a choke..

Last edited:

doggish_098

Rising Star
Registered

how do you categorize what he did last night. you are one out away from going home tied and you drop the ball. If that isn't a choke i don't know what is.

twillz1

The Voice of Reason
BGOL Investor
Dude, he nutted up. Plain and simple. He got a visual on the ball and could not decide if he wanted to catch it palm up or down--that's a choke..

OK, I get it now. I don't disagree with you, I was just using a different definition for choke. I agree that he misplayed it and couldn't decide where the palm of the glove should be, but that's just a fuck-up, and not necessarily a choke, IMO. I tried to factor in a degree-of-difficulty in this. You know how that cat on the Mets dropped that easy, slow pop-up earlier this season? I found that to be closer to a choke that this. There was more time to make a decision on how to play that ball than with Halliday's FUBAR.

I do, however, see your point.

twillz1

The Voice of Reason
BGOL Investor
:confused::confused::confused:

if he catches that ball, they win the game.

You're statement about the game is true, but here's what I was referring to:
Sometimes, athletes fuck up. We, as fans, like to retroactively judge the play based on it's overall importance to the outcome of the game. If that play occurs in the 1st inning, then we treat it as a simple mis-play, a fuck up. The sports media would like to assign more importance to the play, as it makes for better ratings and they can spend the whole day talking about on ESPN. (I'm watching First Take right now.)

My point: I don't think that every athletic error at a critical point in the game is a choke job.

twillz1

The Voice of Reason
BGOL Investor
Are you fuckin kidding... Skip "I hate all Black Athletes" Bayless" gave him a pass, Tim Kerchkin(sp) said he felt sorry for him... It was really sad. Let's see what the Around the Horn Crew has to say--they are a bit more fair.

CO-SIGN !

Gay-assed Tim Kerkjian (I can't spell it either) ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS tries to blow up black athletes.
EXAMPLE:
Bond's steroid case involved one witness who wrote a book. Tim and his partner-in-crime, John Kruk said Bonds was guilty. "The guy wrote a book on it; he must know what he's talking about." -J.Kruk.

Clemens' case also involved a witness who wrote a book, BUT also had DNA evidence. (!!!) Then, Clemens' wife comes clean, as well as Andy Pettite. Kerkjian and Kruk BOTH respond by saying 'I don't know if I can trust this guy. He wrote a book, but we really don't know who he is. Let's not rush to judgement."

There was more evidence on Clemens than Bonds. Why was Bonds castigated by the media, but Clemens given an initial pass?

Connect the dots.

sirwoodz

Rising Star
Registered
You're statement about the game is true, but here's what I was referring to:
Sometimes, athletes fuck up. We, as fans, like to retroactively judge the play based on it's overall importance to the outcome of the game. If that play occurs in the 1st inning, then we treat it as a simple mis-play, a fuck up. The sports media would like to assign more importance to the play, as it makes for better ratings and they can spend the whole day talking about on ESPN. (I'm watching First Take right now.)

My point: I don't think that every athletic error at a critical point in the game is a choke job.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

man you are intellectualizing a dropped fly ball....he choked! period.

twillz1

The Voice of Reason
BGOL Investor
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

man you are intellectualizing a dropped fly ball....he choked! period.

Just because we disagree doesn't mean I'll laugh at you, tho.
As for the 'intellectualization' point, it's true. Perhaps it's a character flaw. I always try to look past the surface.

God, or the Devil, is in the details.

Enjoy your day. I'm out.