0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah, Dynamite felt more like Elevation tonight.

I really wish All Out was this weekend instead of next weekend because this episode felt very much like treading water.

I want Best Friends and HFO to be over. I want Jericho and MJF to be over already. I want to get Cage/Omega out the way. Paul Wight match out the way. I want pretty much every story to move on to the next phase, especially the Elite, Death Triangle and Dark Order stories. And I want to see if Cole, Bryan, Murphy, Ruby debut. I want to see what Punk does after the Darby match.

Like everything I'm interested in is on hold until All Out or after, so it just feels like this week is gonna be a drag. Hopefully next week they'll do all the go-home angles and they'll be exciting.

But they really should've had a more action-packed card to build off the CM Punk heat. I would've liked if Cassidy/Hardy was Cage vs. Hobbs instead. The Gunn Club match should've been a Miro or Lance Archer squash match, and the Hayter and Black squash matches should've been more brutal.

I don't mind it so much with the B-Team getting a show. Every show isn't gonna be a knock out the park. You have a point with the shows placement right after Punk comes back, but you gotta get these guys exposure at some point and give your main event guys a break.

Mastermind2002

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

It would've been a higher number if they put on a better show instead of featuring jobbers. If they don't come out with guns blazing next week that number will drop back down under a million again. The rating potential of where I can see them ultimately reaching one day is 1.9 million but it's gonna take the hard work and consistency of them putting on great shows week after week. No more filler bullshit.

mrcmd187

Controversy Creates Cash
BGOL Investor

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The environment for Brock is TOTALLY different than what it was for Punk or will be for some of the current roster.
Yep, Brock gets to just cash his checks, take private planes everywhere, show up for a few dates a year and then get the fuck out in a year or two.

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I think people need to come to grips and realize that AEW will only do so well in the ratings. 1.5 mil seems to be the ceiling now.
It's what happens when you primarily cater to the "smart" fans and the casual viewership for wrestling as a whole is as low as it's ever been.
Everything considered, Turner may actually be fine with the rating especially in that targeted 18-49 male demo.

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Clearly, WWE is now focused on creating their own homegrown talent and molding them to their "system" rather than getting indy guys who are already set in their ways. Plus, indy guys are more likely to get over on their own, which is something WWE seems to be deathly afraid of.

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Clearly, WWE is now focused on creating their own homegrown talent and molding them to their "system" rather than getting indy guys who are already set in their ways. Plus, indy guys are more likely to get over on their own, which is something WWE seems to be deathly afraid of.

You also have to remember indy guys rarely look like Roman Reigns.

chrislee

Rising Star
Super Moderator
It's been stated that WWE doesn't want another Cena meaning anyone who becomes bigger than the company.

ScottyPiffen745

BGOL CSI: Connoisseur of Sluts on Instagram™
BGOL Investor
I think people need to come to grips and realize that AEW will only do so well in the ratings. 1.5 mil seems to be the ceiling now.
It's what happens when you primarily cater to the "smart" fans and the casual viewership for wrestling as a whole is as low as it's ever been.
Everything considered, Turner may actually be fine with the rating especially in that targeted 18-49 male demo.

They have the potential to do more because WWE loses viewers every year.

Raw for example:
2018 - 2.5 to 3 mil viewers a week
2019 - 2 to 2.5 mil viewers a week
2020 - 1.5 to 2 mil viewers a week

As of 2021, Raw still has a ceiling of 2 mil, but they only hit 2 mil when they roll out the old guys.

And WWE doesn't have many of those cards left and they know it. They've used the Goldberg card, the Edge return, the Cena money match, the Brock return. They've already set up a Rock/Roman match for like two years from now where Rock will be 50 or 51.

For the last 10 years, WWE has been actively making people dislike wrestling because their product has been progressively getting worse and they sandbag their competition.

AEW is the first company in a long time to present WWE viewers with a legit alternative (as far as being on TV). So now they have the task of trying to get the people who are fed up with WWE, but still wanna watch pro wrestling to come over to AEW. They've done a good job so far going from 700 to 800k in 2019 to averaging 1 mil now, and killing it in the demo.

Acquiring CM Punk was a great move to siphon more of WWE's inactive and active viewers, but that's not the biggest move. The big move is war.

And I believe within the next few years if WWE's product continues to be bad, and all these old guys start hanging it up, and they continue to not produce new stars, and letting all these good workers with untap potential go, AEW can (and probably will) put a show up against Raw, maybe even Smackdown (because that Roman shit gone get old at some point), and they could overtake the viewership by outbooking the shit outta them.

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It's been stated that WWE doesn't want another Cena meaning anyone who becomes bigger than the company.
Yeah, it's clear WWE doesn't want anyone becoming bigger than the company which then leads to them demanding more money and more creative control over their character. WWE is like the circus, where they feel the WWE name alone is the attraction and not any one individual performer.

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
They have the potential to do more because WWE loses viewers every year.

Raw for example:
2018 - 2.5 to 3 mil viewers a week
2019 - 2 to 2.5 mil viewers a week
2020 - 1.5 to 2 mil viewers a week

As of 2021, Raw still has a ceiling of 2 mil, but they only hit 2 mil when they roll out the old guys.

And WWE doesn't have many of those cards left and they know it. They've used the Goldberg card, the Edge return, the Cena money match, the Brock return. They've already set up a Rock/Roman match for like two years from now where Rock will be 50 or 51.

For the last 10 years, WWE has been actively making people dislike wrestling because their product has been progressively getting worse and they sandbag their competition.

AEW is the first company in a long time to present WWE viewers with a legit alternative (as far as being on TV). So now they have the task of trying to get the people who are fed up with WWE, but still wanna watch pro wrestling to come over to AEW. They've done a good job so far going from 700 to 800k in 2019 to averaging 1 mil now, and killing it in the demo.

Acquiring CM Punk was a great move to siphon more of WWE's inactive and active viewers, but that's not the biggest move. The big move is war.

And I believe within the next few years if WWE's product continues to be bad, and all these old guys start hanging it up, and they continue to not produce new stars, and letting all these good workers with untap potential go, AEW can (and probably will) put a show up against Raw, maybe even Smackdown (because that Roman shit gone get old at some point), and they could overtake the viewership by outbooking the shit outta them.
I can't see AEW ever overtaking WWE and I don't see all those viewers WWE is losing going to AEW.
I think WWE would still draw a higher rating than AEW even if they went head-to-head.
WWE is like Disney right now. We crap on Disney movies and their product, but it's not aimed at us.
And in the end despite all the shitty booking, they still make a shitload of money and that's all Vince and the shareholders care about.

ScottyPiffen745

BGOL CSI: Connoisseur of Sluts on Instagram™
BGOL Investor
I can't see AEW ever overtaking WWE and I don't see all those viewers WWE is losing going to AEW.
I think WWE would still draw a higher rating than AEW even if they went head-to-head.
WWE is like Disney right now. We crap on Disney movies and their product, but it's not aimed at us.
And in the end despite all the shitty booking, they still make a shitload of money and that's all Vince and the shareholders care about.

I can see how you feel that way.

A lot of companies make a ton of money by selling shitty products. A lot of people will buy a shitty product because it's familiar.

Like people who still eat McDonald's, they know they're not getting any nutritional value from most of the shit they sell, but for whatever reason, they still fuck with it. WWE's the same. Raw is the sweet tea, Smackdown is the fries.

You're right, WWE probably rakes in way more money than AEW and that's probably why Vince doesn't consider them competition. Vince sees more money in having a shit product.

But that's not a perspective I care about because I'm the consumer, not the businessman. I want to consume a good product.

I don't support WWE, just like I don't support McDonald's. I don't buy their merch or the games, I don't go to their shows, I don't watch their product via cable, hell, I'm starting not to even watch their official YouTube clips.

But I will support Tony Khan and AEW for trying to do good business by trying to produce good wrestling product. That's opposed to trying to make tons of money off of shitty product.

Because I've been tired for a long time of consuming WWE's bullshit just because I like wrestling. And as history has shown, if things keep going the way they are under Vince, I believe more and more people over time are going to discover that they feel the same way that I do.

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

The problem with that though is Vince works for somebody (and it ain't the viewers!) The cats at USA and Fox have more money than Vince and if they back loud enough Vince is gonna have to change. He didn't want his own homegrown network so you have to bow to the people who put you on theirs