chrislee

Rising Star
Super Moderator
A bit of trolling but it's the likely outcome. Most of the guys who made their names in the Indies will probably move on to AEW. Since Tony allows talent to make money on the side it also keeps the payroll down.

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Not likely. There aren't that many people with the money and the desire to start a wrestling company let alone able to get TV to truly be a competitor. And most of the talent that'll end up leaving AEW is talent that shouldn't have been on national TV anyway like Hybrid, Marko Stunt, etc.

I like Marko Stunt! His ass reminds me of Spike Dudley. He should NEVER win a match, but it is entertaining to see him get his ass beat, in that he never gives up.

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
Unlike WWE tho AEW has working relationships with essentially all the named promotions so there are plenty of places to work.
You seem to forget WWE once had working relationships with other promotions.
Not likely. There aren't that many people with the money and the desire to start a wrestling company let alone able to get TV to truly be a competitor. And most of the talent that'll end up leaving AEW is talent that shouldn't have been on national TV anyway like Hybrid, Marko Stunt, etc.
AEW didn't exist 4 years ago. No one could have guessed an upstart promotion would have popped up in Jacksonville a few years ago. But it did. Whose to say another wouldn't. Remember, TNA was an upstart once too.
Calling AEW WWE is straight up blasphemy. AEW is actually entertaining and books there shows well more quite regularly.
WWE was once entertaining and booked decent shows regularly.....

Last edited:

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm enjoying AEW at the moment and they're clearly the hot promotion right now, but I just hope they don't crash like WCW did.
Signing damn near every ex-WWE guy gets people excited now, but what about the long-term plan?
AEW needs to make sure these guys coming in are putting over the young talent, unlike WCW and the NWO that buried all the young talent back in the day.
I would be curious to see what kind of PPV numbers All Out did. All these signings at some point have to translate into higher PPV buys and TV ratings long-term and not just popping a rating here and there because of a debut or hotshot match.

chrislee

Rising Star
Super Moderator
I'm enjoying AEW at the moment and they're clearly the hot promotion right now, but I just hope they don't crash like WCW did.
Signing damn near every ex-WWE guy gets people excited now, but what about the long-term plan?
AEW needs to make sure these guys coming in are putting over the young talent, unlike WCW and the NWO that buried all the young talent back in the day.
I would be curious to see what kind of PPV numbers All Out did. All these signings at some point have to translate into higher PPV buys and TV ratings long-term and not just popping a rating here and there because of a debut or hotshot match.
The difference is that WCW was giving out multimillion dollar contracts and letting guys like Hogan, Nash & Hall renegotiate their contracts whenever someone made more than them. AEW is letting talent make money on the side with bookings and 3rd party stuff like YouTube & Twitch. WCW would have signed guys that don't move the needed like Eric Rowan just because. Right now AEW has signed the best talent available. I'm not a fan of the Big Show & Mark Henry signing but I understand why in needing to appeal to the casual and hardcore fans.

I think were continue to see see Jungle Boy, Darby, & Hangman as the top young home grown talent they push.

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
The difference is that WCW was giving out multimillion dollar contracts and letting guys like Hogan, Nash & Hall renegotiate their contracts whenever someone made more than them. AEW is letting talent make money on the side with bookings and 3rd party stuff like YouTube & Twitch. WCW would have signed guys that don't move the needed like Eric Rowan just because. Right now AEW has signed the best talent available. I'm not a fan of the Big Show & Mark Henry signing but I understand why in needing to appeal to the casual and hardcore fans.

I think were continue to see see Jungle Boy, Darby, & Hangman as the top young home grown talent they push.
Money talks.

Is AEW making money?

Are any of these guys that AEW signed going to translate into dollars for the company?

Yes, talent is able to make money on the side, but is AEW as a company turning enough profit?

For instance, they leave a lot of money on the table letting others (Pro Wrestling Tees) handle merchandise sales.

Yes, AEW is a fun product and fresh, how long will this model last though, especially when their competition is a billion dollar entertainment company that is a brand ingrained in popular culture.

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Money talks.

Is AEW making money?

Are any of these guys that AEW signed going to translate into dollars for the company?

Yes, talent is able to make money on the side, but is AEW as a company turning enough profit?

For instance, they leave a lot of money on the table letting others (Pro Wrestling Tees) handle merchandise sales.

Yes, AEW is a fun product and fresh, how long will this model last though, especially when their competition is a billion dollar entertainment company that is a brand ingrained in popular culture.
My point exactly.
Internet and social media buzz is great, but at the end of the day AEW is a business and all that buzz needs to translate into dollars.
Yes, AEW makes sense creatively and is the place to go for the talent, but it needs to make even more sense financially for the people running it.
Even a billionaire (in this case, son of a billionaire) has a limit on how much of a loss they will take before pulling the plug.

fu2

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

f220b981-d3ef-483b-aba4-cab28ad06f1e_screenshot.jpg

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
My point exactly.
Internet and social media buzz is great, but at the end of the day AEW is a business and all that buzz needs to translate into dollars.
Yes, AEW makes sense creatively and is the place to go for the talent, but it needs to make even more sense financially for the people running it.
Even a billionaire (in this case, son of a billionaire) has a limit on how much of a loss they will take before pulling the plug.
Bruh, WWE made more money last year than they ever made.

They are making movies. Signing deals with overseas nations. Planning a theme park.

WWE is damn near Disney.

AEW is sweet, and I guess you can say an "in ring wrestling" competition to WWE, but they aren't on any other level a true competitor of World Wrestling Entertainment.

ScottyPiffen745

BGOL CSI: Connoisseur of Sluts on Instagram™
BGOL Investor
My point exactly.

They sold out the United Center off a rumor and with no pre-announced matches. That's over 20,000 tickets for a one-hour show and some Dark tapings.

I think they'll be alright. Touring is where the money is.

AEW acquiring all these guys and being able to bring in pretty much anyone outside of WWE is a means of booking these crazy dream cards that wouldn't even be possible in WWE or at least done any justice.

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
They sold out the United Center off a rumor and with no pre-announced matches. That's over 20,000 tickets for a one-hour show and some Dark tapings.

I think they'll be alright. Touring is where the money is.

AEW acquiring all these guys and being able to bring in pretty much anyone outside of WWE is a means of booking these crazy dream cards that wouldn't even be possible in WWE or at least done any justice.
That's only one city, which happens to be Punk's hometown, and one show with the most hardcore fanbase in America.
Right now their shows are in smaller venues that hold 5,000-10,000 people max.
For these investments and signings to pay off, they need to start touring in bigger venues and challenge WWE territory.
Dream matches and cards are great, but they need to cater to more than just the most hardcore of fans.
For example, that Japanese wrestler they debuted at the PPV, I have no clue who he is but of course all the hardcores seem to know him and lost their minds when he showed up.
Hopefully these signings will pull in more casual fans and increase the ratings, PPV buys and allow them to tour bigger venues.

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
That's only one city, which happens to be Punk's hometown, and one show with the most hardcore fanbase in America.
For these investments and signings to pay off, they need to start touring in bigger venues and challenge WWE territory.
Dream matches and cards are great, but they need to cater to more than just the most hardcore of fans.
For example, that Japanese wrestler they debuted at the PPV, I have no clue who he is but of course all the hardcores seem to know him and lost their minds when he showed up.
Hopefully these signings will pull in more casual fans and increase the ratings, PPV buys and allow them to tour bigger venues.
When AEW is holding PPV events in Football Stadiums, then we can talk....

AEW is still a very niche promotion. WWE is a known brand. AEW is still making a name for themselves.

Average audiences don't know nor give a fuck about all these Japanese wrestlers showing up on AEW television.

AEW is catering to wrestling marks and fanboys.

WWE caters to everyone.

gdatruth

A Man Apart
Certified Pussy Poster
When AEW is holding PPV events in Football Stadiums, then we can talk....

AEW is still a very niche promotion. WWE is a known brand. AEW is still making a name for themselves.

Average audiences don't know nor give a fuck about all these Japanese wrestlers showing up on AEW television.

AEW is catering to wrestling marks and fanboys.

WWE caters to everyone.

all valid points
but this an internet forum where we discuss wrestling. Most of us are major fans/marks to a degree.

biggest difference between the 2 right now is that AEW is a wrestling company ran by wrestling fans, featuring wrestling fans for fans of wrestling. WWE for the most part doesn't give a fuck about fans and what they want. They are public company that needs to increase shareholder value.

AEW at this point doesn't aspire to be WWE. And WWE doesn't aspire to be AEW. WWE is like coke. It synonymous with wrestling but over time I think that will change as they try to distance themselves from the 2nd letter in WWE.

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
all valid points
but this an internet forum where we discuss wrestling. Most of us are major fans/marks to a degree.

biggest difference between the 2 right now is that AEW is a wrestling company ran by wrestling fans, featuring wrestling fans for fans of wrestling. WWE for the most part doesn't give a fuck about fans and what they want. They are public company that needs to increase shareholder value.

AEW at this point doesn't aspire to be WWE. And WWE doesn't aspire to be AEW. WWE is like coke. It synonymous with wrestling but over time I think that will change as they try to distance themselves from the 2nd letter in WWE.
And this (could be) a big problem long term. Catering to "fans" is only going to get you so far.

You need to cater to everyone.

chrislee

Rising Star
Super Moderator
My point exactly.
I think this was our number one best weekend we’ve ever had. It was number one in so many metrics. We set our attendance record for the most fans we’ve ever had at the United Center on Friday night for AEW Rampage, for the debut of CM Punk. We broke every social metric. I heard...at ESPN that the traffic that they got was so beyond anything that anybody had anticipated. It was in fact, the most traffic on any one social post they’ve had since May, which includes the summer Olympics and the NBA Finals. So the amount of interest in CM Punk returning to wrestling and joining AEW is unprecedented in the world of wrestling, and really this year in the world of sports. It’s huge for our company. It’s huge for everyone who works here, it’s huge for all our fans...the First Dance was just a huge hit for us in every sense of the word.

gdatruth

A Man Apart
Certified Pussy Poster
And this (could be) a big problem long term. Catering to "fans" is only going to get you so far.

thats not neccessarily true especially AEW doesnt want to be all things to all wrestling fans the way WWE does.

for instance take McDonald's (WWE). They are the biggest and most successful fast food restaurant in the world.
But they are losing market share in the US to Chick-a fil (AEW). A niche fast restuarant that has grown exponentially. Chikc-fil-a appeals to fast food costumers but is very niche (only serve chicken, closed on Sundays & based on conservative leanings doesnt appeal to everyone). But they are doing very well.

just like McDonalds & Chick Fil A can both exist, so to can WWE & AEW. They are both wrestling companies with very different mission statements.
this isnt WWE vs WCW...WCW was trying to take WWE's spot. AEW is trying to appeal to fans & talent that WWE has neglected. So far so good. Mission accomplished.

chrislee

Rising Star
Super Moderator

Hence why they signed the same well known guys you complained about like Sting, Big Show, & Mark Henry and now Flair.

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
thats not neccessarily true especially AEW doesnt want to be all things to all wrestling fans the way WWE does.

for instance take McDonald's (WWE). They are the biggest and most successful fast food restaurant in the world.
But they are losing market share in the US to Chick-a fil (AEW). A niche fast restuarant that has grown exponentially. Chikc-fil-a appeals to fast food costumers but is very niche (only serve chicken, closed on Sundays & based on conservative leanings doesnt appeal to everyone). But they are doing very well.

just like McDonalds & Chick Fil A can both exist, so to can WWE & AEW. They are both wrestling companies with very different mission statements.
this isnt WWE vs WCW...WCW was trying to take WWE's spot. AEW is trying to appeal to fans & talent that WWE has neglected. So far so good. Mission accomplished.

A better comparison would be McDonalds and the local food truck in your town that everybody loves and waits in long lines for.
Yes, both companies can exist but the smaller company (AEW) has to be careful in how it does business just like a food truck business.
McDonalds (WWE) can afford to provide shitty products and service while still making money. The food truck business can't.
All I'm saying is that AEW needs to be careful not trying to be something more than it is.

gdatruth

A Man Apart
Certified Pussy Poster
A better comparison would be McDonalds and the local food truck in your town that everybody loves and waits in long lines for.
Yes, both companies can exist but the smaller company (AEW) has to be careful in how it does business just like a food truck business.
McDonalds (WWE) can afford to provide shitty products and service while still making money. The food truck business can't.
All I'm saying is that AEW needs to be careful not trying to be something more than it is.

I don't think that's a fair comparison
it ain't a food truck and to say it is speaks to one's bias.

i am an WWE lifer but objectively speaking AEW is already the 2nd most successful American wrestling company and has 3 hours of national tv. it's the most successful wrestling company in America not named WWE since WCW folded. HHH called it a peasant company and AEW succes has lead to NXT switching nights and directions.

AEW doesn't have to be careful. it is succeeding beyond expectations and is side hustle for a wealthy family.

Last edited:

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

i am an WWE lifer but objectively speaking AEW is already the 2nd most successful American wrestling company and has 3 hours of national tv. it's the most successful wrestling company in America not named WWE since WCW folded. HHH called it a peasant company and AEW succes has lead to NXT switching nights and directions.

AEW doesn't have to be careful. it is succeeding beyond expectations and is side hustle for a wealthy family.
Okay, at best they're like a Whataburger, In-N-Out, Five Guys, etc. Loyal following, but ultimately no competition for the top company.
And there wasn't exactly stiff competition to be the 2nd most successful wrestling company in America. ROH and Impact are barely hanging on.
Again, I want AEW to succeed but signing all of WWE's castoffs left and right has me worried for their long-term success.

ScottyPiffen745

BGOL Investor

Except for one, their upcoming shows are at minimum 10k. They even got a few 20k arenas coming up. They're doing Arthur Ashe in New York in a few weeks, that's a bigger capacity than Madison Square Garden. They're doing Prudential in Jersey, that's almost 20. And the one they're doing tonight in Mox's hometown is 12-13k. They've upgraded.

ScottyPiffen745

BGOL Investor

I don't even think it's fanboyism, it's just general pessimism.

People don't wanna let the shit grow, it's like people expect shit to happen overnight. Like they got Punk and Bryan, and it's like "ok, they should be doing millions now, like right now." You gotta let shit play out.

Shit like this is exactly why you don't tell people your ideas, you just do them because people are gonna try to talk you out of it or make you think that you don't know what you're doing.

And when you think about it, who do you think has more financial acumen - a BGOL accountant or the co-owner of a football team in the NFL? Like he don't know how to make a profit off an investment.

younggiftedandblack

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Bruh, WWE made more money last year than they ever made.

They are making movies. Signing deals with overseas nations. Planning a theme park.

WWE is damn near Disney.

AEW is sweet, and I guess you can say an "in ring wrestling" competition to WWE, but they aren't on any other level a true competitor of World Wrestling Entertainment.
I never understood why people don't / won't compare them to other entertainment companies. It's easy to see they are bigger than every wrestling company, but IMO they fall way behind all of the top entertainment companies.