XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
First thing that came to mind....

Its stressful to not quit the job knowing your wife's father is the owner of the company...

Shit, can affect his health (obviosly), job and family life....dude is trapped.
E8J7BfOXoAA-i0-

:lol:

Mastermind2002

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This Moxley/Suzuki match is dumb. The way these fans are eating it up doesn‘t make sense. Dude is like 60 years old and looks like an older Linda Hunt from “The Year of Living Dangerously”….damn near the same size.

What? I know you don't watch New Japan but Suzuki is a damn legend. The fans are eating it up because they watch New Japan too and know what a bad ass he is. That's why I like AEW fans because they watch and are knowledgeable of promotions outside of the American wrestling bubble. As a wrestling fan things shouldn't have to be spoon fed to you. Don't know who someone is? Find out and get educated on their work. With the internet now more than ever there's no excuse not to follow multiple promotions. When Kazuchika Okada, Tetsuya Naito, Kota Ibushi, etc eventually appear on Dynamite they're gonna pop for them too.

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
What? I know you don't watch New Japan but Suzuki is a damn legend. The fans are eating it up because they watch New Japan too and know what a bad ass he is. That's why I like AEW fans because they watch and are knowledgeable of promotions outside of the American wrestling bubble. As a wrestling fan things shouldn't have to be spoon fed to you. Don't know who someone is? Find out and get educated on their work. With the internet now more than ever there's no excuse not to follow multiple promotions. When Kazuchika Okada, Tetsuya Naito, Kota Ibushi, etc eventually appear on Dynamite they're gonna pop for them too.
The match sucked and their selling during the match was trash. AEW fans ate it up though, again like a bunch of marks because in their eyes AEW can do no wrong.

I disagree, wrestling fans need to be spoon fed things, especially when the audience (in television) knows next to nothing about the guys they are trying to show off on their television programs.

Man, I really don't give a fuck about Japanese Wrestling for the same reason I don't give a fuck about Japanese Baseball.

Casual fans here stateside ain't checking Japanese wrestling like that, I mean, why should they, when you have American Wrestling promotions here?

Last edited:

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
They could have at least shown a short video package letting those who don't know who he, what he's all about.
Excalibur wasn't on commentary last night, so he wasn't there to educate the audience, many of whom may be tuning in to AEW for the first time and also have no idea who he is.
AEW will only grow so big if everything is always on some IYKYK type shit.

Mastermind2002

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The match sucked and their selling during the match was trash. AEW fans are it up though, again like a bunch of marks becau and e in their eyes AEW can do no wrong.

First of all if you're a wrestling fan you are a "mark" so trying to use that term in a negative way is ridiculous. It's not about AEW doing no wrong in the eyes of AEW fans it's about knowing what you like and don't like. This fanbase loves Japanese wrestling so when Minoru Suzuki shows up on Dynamite it's a big fuckin deal.

I disagree, wrestling fans need to be spoon fed things, especially when the audience (in television) knows next to nothing about the guys they are trying to show off on their television programs.

The only people that need to be spoon fed things are people who are either too conditioned, pompous, or flat out lazy to follow other promotions outside of WWE.

Man, I really don't give a fuck about Japanese Wrestling for the same reason I don't give a fuck about Japanese Baseball. Casual fans here stateside ain't checking Japanese wrestling like that

AEW isn't built for casual fans; It's for fans who have a true love for professional wrestling not sports entertainment bullshit.

I mean, why should they, when you have American Wrestling promotions here?

Why should they? Because Japanese wrestling has historically been some of the best wrestling on the planet. That's why!

younggiftedandblack

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The match sucked and their selling during the match was trash. AEW fans are it up though, again like a bunch of marks becau and e in their eyes AEW can do no wrong.

Casual fans here stateside ain't checking Japanese wrestling like that, I mean, why should they, when you have American Wrestling promotions here?

Man, I really don't give a fuck about Japanese Wrestling for the same reason I don't give a fuck about Japanese Baseball.

Depends on if they care about courting the casual fan or not. Obviously there's a ceiling if you continue to focus only on pure pro wrestling fans, but Tony Kahn seems like a pure wrestling fan so I don't see them changing anytime soon. I do think they could be doing a better job in letting people know who's who and why the audience should care. Right now it seems like they play it as "If you know. You know." Which is fantastic if you're a wrestling nerd and deep into it.

Mastermind2002

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
They could have at least shown a short video package letting those who don't know who he, what he's all about.

Minoru Suzuki first showed up at the "All Out" ppv so that's plenty of time between this past Sunday and this Wednesday for people to research and find out who the man is. Hell, they even told you ahead of time that he's going to have a match against Moxley on Dynamite.

Excalibur wasn't on commentary last night, so he wasn't there to educate the audience, many of whom may be tuning in to AEW for the first time and also have no idea who he is.

Excalibur shouldn't have to spoon feed you. If you're a new viewer then you're probably not gonna who Kenny Omega, Jungle Boy, Darby Allin, MJF is either. Should they run video packages for them too? At some point it's up to you to to get familiar with the talent.

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Minoru Suzuki first showed up at the "All Out" ppv so that's plenty of time between this past Sunday and this Wednesday for people to research and find out who the man is. Hell, they even told you ahead of time that he's going to have a match against Moxley on Dynamite.

Excalibur shouldn't have to spoon feed you. If you're a new viewer then you're probably not gonna who Kenny Omega, Jungle Boy, Darby Allin, MJF is either. Should they run video packages for them too? At some point it's up to you to to get familiar with the talent.
Bro, it's not about "spoon feeding" anyone. It's just basic storytelling and TV production.
Yes, you need someone to explain to the audience who this non-American older wrestler is.
The other guys you mentioned are on TV every week (or almost every week) so need to explain who they since a new viewer can come back the following and learn who they are.
This match with Suzuki was probably a one-off match so he'll likely never be on their TV again. He's not a full-time AEW talent. Big difference.

Mastermind2002

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Right now it seems like they play it as "If you know. You know." Which is fantastic if you're a wrestling nerd and deep into it.

That's the whole point. The whole concept behind AEW working with other promotions is to get the casual fan or any fan conditioned to watching other promotions. AEW wants to rid the casual fan of that isolationist WWE mindset where everything has to be spoon fed to you within the WWE bubble.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I know who he is and that match still was ass lol. Whether you know the background of someone or not shouldn't effect your enjoyment. The match just was ass but then again I've never been a fan of Moxley anyway and this fake Brian Pillman shit so maybe I'm biased.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Bro, it's not about "spoon feeding" anyone. It's just basic storytelling and TV production.
Yes, you need someone to explain to the audience who this non-American older wrestler is.
The other guys you mentioned are on TV every week (or almost every week) so need to explain who they since a new viewer can come back the following and learn who they are.
This match with Suzuki was probably a one-off match so he'll likely never be on their TV again. He's not a full-time AEW talent. Big difference.
Yeah I had no idea who he was did some research and then it made a little more sense why he was there....it was basically doing the same shit people accuse WWE of bringing in past legends lol.....it is what it is. Just wasn't entertaining to me.

"THE MAN"

Resident Cool Nerd
BGOL Investor
If I may throw in a quick opinion, there has to be a way to not spoon feed but lure in people as well. Average person doesn't want to google something to not feel left out. Which makes WWE easier to digest. But spoon feeding has it's issues when your own fans know absolutely nothing about your own promotion (NXT). They wait to be told what to like and won't grow. Question is who will master this balance first.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So how is AEW allowed to essentially sign anyone? Is it because they allow their wrestlers to wrestle for other programs?

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
First of all if you're a wrestling fan you are a "mark" so trying to use that term in a negative way is ridiculous. It's not about AEW doing no wrong in the eyes of AEW fans it's about knowing what you like and don't like. This fanbase loves Japanese wrestling so when Minoru Suzuki shows up on Dynamite it's a big fuckin deal.
Not all wrestling fans are marks. Some are just casual fans. You know damn well what I mean when I call them marks.
The only people that need to be spoon fed things are people who are either too conditioned, pompous, or flat out lazy to follow other promotions outside of WWE.
No. Anyone watching a TV show the first time with no reference should be given, by the producer of said television, a chance to catch up on the show. A quick recap or video does just that. AEW assumes their fans know who the fuck Suzuki was. Alright cool, whatabout the fans you want to grow. The ones who are watching AEW for the first time. They aren't doing new fans or prospective new fans any favors.
AEW isn't built for casual fans; It's for fans who have a true love for professional wrestling not sports entertainment bullshit.
Then they shouldn't try to come off WWE's competition.
Why should they? Because Japanese wrestling has historically been some of the best wrestling on the planet. That's why!
Because most don't have a connection to it. Bollywood may produce some of the best dance numbers ever done on celluloid, but I'm rolling with Michael Jackson's "Thriller" routine because that's what I know, what I have a connection with and what prefer.

XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah I had no idea who he was did some research and then it made a little more sense why he was there....it was basically doing the same shit people accuse WWE of bringing in past legends lol.....it is what it is. Just wasn't entertaining to me.

Yeah, that match was not entertaining to me at all either. I get dude has been a big deal in Japan for a long time, but he just looked like some old Japanese guy with a fucked up haircut. LOL
I do like Moxley's entrance and theme song, but that's about it for me when it comes to him.
And does every match in AEW now have to have them exchanging forearm shots? I get it's a Japanese thing, but it's being done in damn near every match I see.