XXXplosive

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So how is AEW allowed to essentially sign anyone? Is it because they allow their wrestlers to wrestle for other programs?
They're signing guys who's contracts (and accompanying non-compete) have expired.
Guys are choosing to go to AEW because of the money, lighter travel schedule and more creative control over their characters and storylines.
Being able to wrestle for other promotions is another bonus for the talent, but that's gonna bite Tony Khan in the ass at some point once one of his guys gets injured wrestling a weekend spot show in another promotion.

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The "spoon feeding" I think is necessary as some people just don't know EVERY wrestler. Right now it is A LOT! NJPW, ROH, Impact WWE, GCW, NWA, etc... You factor in the PPV that they also have it is hard to keep up. So as it seems that everyone not islanding themselves off from every other promotion only helps the wrestlers push even more.

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Because most don't have a connection to it. Bollywood may produce some of the best dance numbers ever done on celluloid, but I'm rolling with Michael Jackson's "Thriller" routine because that's what I know, what I have a connection with and what prefer.

But you KNOW there is a Bollywood version of it right? I think KNOWING of other promotions and FOLLOWING other promotions are worlds apart. It seems like you two are arguing two different points that will never meet.

I don't have time to watch EVERY NJPW show, I know the bigger names and KNOW OF the lesser ones. But a wrestler that I don't know just a quick blurb about where they come from is always helpful.

ScottyPiffen745

BGOL CSI: Connoisseur of Sluts on Instagram™
BGOL Investor
They're signing guys who's contracts (and accompanying non-compete) have expired.
Guys are choosing to go to AEW because of the money, lighter travel schedule and more creative control over their characters and storylines.
Being able to wrestle for other promotions is another bonus for the talent, but that's gonna bite Tony Khan in the ass at some point once one of his guys gets injured wrestling a weekend spot show in another promotion.

That's why they should load up on talent. Having a good rotation of guys makes it easier to fill out a card, if Moxley needs time to recover from an injury working GCW, or Hangman needs paternity leave, or Bryan wants to work Japan for a few weeks.

You ain't gotta have people working with injuries like CM Punk, or have this being glaring hole on a card that you gotta fill with a jobber like Carmella/Bianca.

They were able to have a bomb ass PPV without two of their bigger names, Cody and Hangman, and then they can come back and it ain't shit for them to pick up where they left off. Because the fans are so occupied with what's going on in their absence, they're not really missing those guys when they're gone.

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
But you KNOW there is a Bollywood version of it right? I think KNOWING of other promotions and FOLLOWING other promotions are worlds apart. It seems like you two are arguing two different points that will never meet.

I don't have time to watch EVERY NJPW show, I know the bigger names and KNOW OF the lesser ones. But a wrestler that I don't know just a quick blurb about where they come from is always helpful.
Casual wrestling fans don't know nor follow them though.

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
That's why they should load up on talent. Having a good rotation of guys makes it easier to fill out a card, if Moxley needs time to recover from an injury working GCW, or Hangman needs paternity leave, or Bryan wants to work Japan for a few weeks.

You ain't gotta have people working with injuries like CM Punk, or have this being glaring hole on a card that you gotta fill with a jobber like Carmella/Bianca.

They were able to have a bomb ass PPV without two of their bigger names, Cody and Hangman, and then they can come back and it ain't shit for them to pick up where they left off. Because the fans are so occupied with what's going on in their absence, they're not really missing those guys when they're gone.
AEW is going to eventually have to expand their shows or do a separate brand.

There are wrestlers who go unseen for months and happen to show up out of no where.

For instance, early this year, they were doing a storyline with that zombie bitch Abadon going after Shida... Abadon disappears suddenly, Shida loses title....

Abadon appears at the womens battle royal at All Out.

Same thing has happened with a ton of their talent. They have all these wrestlers that you just don't see.

Loading up on talent but not doing anything with them does nothing to excite the fan base.

Basically what WCW did back in the early nWo days where they signed damn near anyone with a WWF history....

It's cool but there is only so much you can do with a loaded roster and three hours of TV time.

ScottyPiffen745

BGOL Investor
Not all wrestling fans are marks. Some are just casual fans. You know damn well what I mean when I call them marks.

No. Anyone watching a TV show the first time with no reference should be given, by the producer of said television, a chance to catch up on the show. A quick recap or video does just that. AEW assumes their fans know who the fuck Suzuki was. Alright cool, whatabout the fans you want to grow. The ones who are watching AEW for the first time. They aren't doing new fans or prospective new fans any favors.

Then they shouldn't try to come off WWE's competition.

Because most don't have a connection to it. Bollywood may produce some of the best dance numbers ever done on celluloid, but I'm rolling with Michael Jackson's "Thriller" routine because that's what I know, what I have a connection with and what prefer.

I think his point was that you're calling people marks like you ain't one. You a mark!

A casual wrestling fan is somebody who occasionally watches the shit to see a specific person wrestle, or a specific match because of hype, or somebody they know is watching the shit so they watch it with them.

If you're in this thread weekly, talking about every show, following the shit regardless if you even like it or not, you're a mark.

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
I think his point was that you're calling people marks like you ain't one. You a mark!

A casual wrestling fan is somebody who occasionally watches the shit to see a specific person wrestle, or a specific match because of hype, or somebody they know is watching the shit so they watch it with them.

If you're in this thread weekly, talking about every show, following the shit regardless if you even like it or not, you're a mark.
No. There's a difference.

I follow wrestling but wouldn't consider myself a mark. I know American wrestling but couldn't name champions of international promotions the way a mark would.

A mark is someone who knows who the fuck Suzuki was prior to his shitty ass match with Moxley, because they follow NJPW, ROH, Impact, AAA, CMLL, etc...

I'm a wrestling fan. Not a casual fan, someone who follows it. A mark sees no wrong in the promotions they love. I'm critical of AEW and WWE when they deserve it.

A mark never complains and worships the ground their favorite promotion walks on.

Like all those fans sitting in the arena last night losing their shit watching Mr. Miyagi's former friend/nemesis Sato from Karate Kid Pt. II "fight" John Moxley in Cincinnati.

ScottyPiffen745

BGOL Investor
AEW is going to eventually have to expand their shows or do a separate brand.

There are wrestlers who go unseen for months and happen to show up out of no where.

For instance, early this year, they were doing a storyline with that zombie bitch Abadon going after Shida... Abadon disappears suddenly, Shida loses title....

Abadon appears at the womens battle royal at All Out.

Same thing has happened with a ton of their talent. They have all these wrestlers that you just don't see.

Loading up on talent but not doing anything with them does nothing to excite the fan base.

Basically what WCW did back in the early nWo days where they signed damn near anyone with a WWF history....

It's cool but there is only so much you can do with a loaded roster and three hours of TV time.

Abadon? Really?

Honestly, some of these people just ain't it. They have people they just ain't gone be shit, and that's ok. You need role players just like you need stars.

She seems like a nice lady, but don't nobody wanna see that shit. You know damn well ain't nobody missing Abadon, man.

Abadon can be on Dark. Sonny Kiss can be on Dark. Luther, Serpentico, Gunn Club, Diamante - Dark.

They'll get an occasional spot on Dynamite or a Battle Royal spot, and that's all they really need.

Wake me up when they start treating Sammy and Ricky Starks like that.

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
Abadon? Really?

Honestly, some of these people just ain't it. They have people they just ain't gone be shit, and that's ok. You need role players just like you need stars.

She seems like a nice lady, but don't nobody wanna see that shit. You know damn well ain't nobody missing Abadon, man.

Abadon can be on Dark. Sonny Kiss can be on Dark. Luther, Serpentico, Gunn Club, Diamante - Dark.

They'll get an occasional spot on Dynamite or a Battle Royal spot, and that's all they really need.

Wake me up when they start treating Sammy and Ricky Starks like that.
I agree, they ain't shit, yet they put them o TV as if they were real threats and never mention them again.

They had their Women's champion "scared" of her on National television and then dropped it like it was all a dream....

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Casual wrestling fans don't know nor follow them though.

Right and you are correct, but like I said you KNOW OF that Bollywood version. They KNOW OF other promotions. If they like the performance they're able to research more as that person is going back to their respected promotion and hopefully bring those eyeballs with them. So that "spoon feeding" that they get tells them where to go helps both the consumer and the promotion(s).

0utsyder

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I agree, they ain't shit, yet they put them o TV as if they were real threats and never mention them again.

They had their Women's champion "scared" of her on National television and then dropped it like it was all a dream....

Homie that's Wrestling 101 EVERY promotion does that! Kinda like MurderHawk, he couldn't be hurt when he first came. Then Moxely started whipping that ass and everybody can beat him.

ScottyPiffen745

BGOL Investor
No. There's a difference.

I follow wrestling but wouldn't consider myself a mark. I know American wrestling but couldn't name champions of international promotions the way a mark would.

A mark is someone who knows who the fuck Suzuki was prior to his shitty ass match with Moxley, because they follow NJPW, ROH, Impact, AAA, CMLL, etc...

I'm a wrestling fan. Not a casual fan, someone who follows it. A mark sees no wrong in the promotions they love. I'm critical of AEW and WWE when they deserve it.

A mark never complains and worships the ground their favorite promotion walks on.

Like all those fans sitting in the arena last night losing their shit watching Mr. Miyagi's former friend/nemesis Sato from Karate Kid Pt. II "fight" John Moxley in Cincinnati.

I hate to break it to you, but that makes you a mainstream mark.

What you consider as the opposite of you is an indy mark.

But marks nevertheless.

If you are mentally or emotionally invested in a wrestling product, enough to have several in-depth opinions about it on a daily basis, you are considered a mark in the wrestling community.

ScottyPiffen745

BGOL Investor

Because it didn't work.

It'd be different if she was like super over, to the point where they were like "man, we gotta get this Abadon shit on the show", but that ain't the case, so why even waste TV time on that?

But that's the character she's committed to, so it just is what it is.

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
I hate to break it to you, but that makes you a mainstream mark.

What you consider as the opposite of you is an indy mark.

But marks nevertheless.

If you are mentally or emotionally invested in a wrestling product, enough to have several in-depth opinions about it on a daily basis, you are considered a mark in the wrestling community.
I'll concede and accept to being a mainstream mark. No problem with that.

AEWs product tries to push off their indy talent as if it were mainstream though, thus indy marks acting like a fool when some unknown (to mainstream marks such as I and others) shows up. It's why I and others ask to be spoon fed some context as to why Oroku Saki is such a bad ass when he shows up to fight Casey Jones on AEW television.

theoriginalgreatone

MOAR
BGOL Investor
The show on aew is really stacked, what do yall think about having certain people on biweekly?

That way it's never overkill, like two different shows just on every other week.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The fact that they got all these writers and they can't come up with real wrestling stories shows they are washed
Shit man at this point why not hire some television writers or script writers? SOMETHING. There has to be a way to generate new ideas. I mean they are rehashing failed storylines from the past they won't even rehash their successful ones....

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah, that match was not entertaining to me at all either. I get dude has been a big deal in Japan for a long time, but he just looked like some old Japanese guy with a fucked up haircut. LOL
I do like Moxley's entrance and theme song, but that's about it for me when it comes to him.
And does every match in AEW now have to have them exchanging forearm shots? I get it's a Japanese thing, but it's being done in damn near every match I see.
Yeah that's annoying as hell to me to them forearm shorts. And then to have a whole match of them? Ugh.....

And when I seen that dude at first I thought he was like equavelent to WWE comedy character. Becuase I sure was laughing at them headbutts, chops and forearms they was throwing. :lol:

And to the people saying the fans ate it up....are we sure they didn't eat it up because of Moxley being in his hometown?

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Ok so this is what I was getting at.....it seems like this model will bite them in the ass. I hope it doesn't. Honestly, good for them. Them dudes shouldn't have to be on the road every day almost. So i'm glad its a option but isn't the inevitable that more and more guys will grow to become dissatisfied with the company? Especially their younger talent?

I know for me i'm kind of confusfed where everyone is at like do certain wrestlers wrestle on certain programs?

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
The show on aew is really stacked, what do yall think about having certain people on biweekly?

That way it's never overkill, like two different shows just on every other week.
I like to see my favorite guys every week but i'm not sure if everyone feels that way. So that model may work. It does feel cluttered which I guess isn't a bad problem to have.

younggiftedandblack

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
When NXT was still on the network and just an hour a week, they were able to rotate the roster pretty good and not have to showcase a lot of people every single week. I don't get why main roster WWE and AEW can't do the same. I get tired of seeing the same people fight each other a million times. IMO the only shows I enjoyed week end and week out was Lucha Underground and the network version of NXT.

fu2

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Damn, Vince fucked around with NXT and gave HHH a cardiac episode :smh:
It would be fucked up if Vince outlived HHH

Deep down. We all know that's Vince's plan. To outlive everyone. There's no reason to be that old insane as he is. If he didn't have the, "Pry it it from my cold dead hands." mentality.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
1. Jon Moxley ($6 Million)
If having Jericho is a flex for AEW, then having WWE’s Dean Ambrose over as Jon Moxley is a straight-up middle finger. Moxley is the reigning AEW World Champion with a net worth of $6.1 million. Unlike the low pay $2.2 million he got during his time with WWE, AEW pays him a good amount of $6 million.
ALSO READ: AEW Rampage First Dance Debuts And Here’s All You Need To Know
Recommended: Sports Physiotherapy Courses
Advertisement
Advertisement
Tags :
Chris Jericho Cody Rhodes Jon Moxley

Moxley is the highest paid AEW wrestlers? My damn.....shit. Good for him because I could never pay him that if I owned it lol.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Deep down. We all know that's Vince's plan. To outlive everyone. There's no reason to be that old insane as he is. If he didn't have the, "Pry it it from my cold dead hands." mentality.
Most CEO's/owners know when to bow out. Most know when to listen to younger heads. He's so out of touch.....and the only reason he hasn't paid for it yet is because of the backs of all those from the Attitude era and before.....

theoriginalgreatone

MOAR
BGOL Investor
1. Jon Moxley ($6 Million)
If having Jericho is a flex for AEW, then having WWE’s Dean Ambrose over as Jon Moxley is a straight-up middle finger. Moxley is the reigning AEW World Champion with a net worth of $6.1 million. Unlike the low pay $2.2 million he got during his time with WWE, AEW pays him a good amount of $6 million.
ALSO READ: AEW Rampage First Dance Debuts And Here’s All You Need To Know
Recommended: Sports Physiotherapy Courses
Advertisement
Advertisement
Tags :
Chris Jericho Cody Rhodes Jon Moxley

Moxley is the highest paid AEW wrestlers? My damn.....shit. Good for him because I could never pay him that if I owned it lol.
Agreed. I don't get the love for him, he's a bootleg Austin IMHO, but the fans love him... (shrugs)

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Agreed. I don't get the love for him, he's a bootleg Austin IMHO, but the fans love him... (shrugs)
Ahh ok so does he get fan love? I guess that's why they pay him that much. It seems criminal that he gets paid twice as much as anyone else over there.

He was one guy WWE made a mid carder and I understood it.