Most interesting NBA historical player swaps (putting players from different eras into the other’s role)

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
One of my top ten “put a player in another player’s shoes” situations would be putting Klay Thompson on Reggie Miller’s Pacers and seeing how he would do in his place. And what would the Warriors look like with Reggie instead of Klay? They’d be splash brothers but do defensive differences derail da dynasty?

Another would be Tim Duncan as the #1 pick in 1985 and Patrick Ewing as the #1 pick in 1997. I don’t think Duncan would have won a title with the Knicks and the Ewing would have won titles with the Spurs.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
One of my top ten “put a player in another player’s shoes” situations would be putting Klay Thompson on Reggie Miller’s Pacers and seeing how he would do in his place. And what would the Warriors look like with Reggie instead of Klay? They’d be splash brothers but do defensive differences derail da dynasty?

Another would be Tim Duncan as the #1 pick in 1985 and Patrick Ewing as the #1 pick in 1997. I don’t think Duncan would have won a title with the Knicks and the Ewing would have won titles with the Spurs.
Bwahaaa Ewing has singlehandlely blown series with dumbass shots.. all you got to do is look at the finger roll he missed during the pacer series.. also many people use to like to dunk on Ewing so while people respected Duncan in the middle nigs would want poster sessions if Ewing down there

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Klay has been curry pippen his whole career.. there’s a difference when you the main guy and teams focus on you as the number 1 man than when you get the second best defender or get wide open shots cause the main guy is double teamed.. don’t get me wrong klay got game but he’s never had to be the number 1 guy on his squad.. plus he’s had bad games in key moments and series

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
Bwahaaa Ewing has singlehandlely blown series with dumbass shots.. all you got to do is look at the finger roll he missed during the pacer series.. also many people use to like to dunk on Ewing so while people respected Duncan in the middle nigs would want poster sessions if Ewing down there

Duncan never had to single-handedly do anything the way Ewing did his whole career. Duncan came into the league paired with another hall of famer on a team that only was in a position to draft him because of an injury and tanking.

One gets a level of praise he didn’t deserve and the other gets unfair hate because he didn’t overcome nearly insurmountable obstacles and win a title as a Batman with no Robin.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Duncan never had to single-handedly do anything the way Ewing did his whole career. Duncan came into the league paired with another hall of famer on a team that only was in a position to draft him because of an injury and tanking.

One gets a level of praise he didn’t deserve and the other gets unfair hate because he didn’t overcome nearly insurmountable obstacles and win a title as a Batman with no Robin.
Ewing has had mark Jackson, rod strickland, sprewell, Allan houston, starks, Harper, Larry Johnson, Oakley just to name a few on his team in his career

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
Ewing has had mark Jackson, rod strickland, sprewell, Allan houston, starks, Harper, Larry Johnson, Oakley just to name a few on his team in his career

I think the only time another Knick earned an all-star spot in the Ewing era was 1994. Some of those names are misleading— Larry Johnson of Charlotte was not the LJ who played in NY. Sprewell was added at the end and they got to the finals but Ewing got hurt.

I’m not denigrating his teammates. Starks was one of the great overachievers in NBA history. But there’s no Robin there. You can’t compare the way Duncan was set up for success with what Ewing had to work with.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I think the only time another Knick earned an all-star spot in the Ewing era was 1994. Some of those names are misleading— Larry Johnson of Charlotte was not the LJ who played in NY. Sprewell was added at the end and they got to the finals but Ewing got hurt.

I’m not denigrating his teammates. Starks was one of the great overachievers in NBA history. But there’s no Robin there. You can’t compare the way Duncan was set up for success with what Ewing had to work with.
Mark Jackson had the rookie assist record that yr with average and most assist for a rookie( he is a potential hall of famer), Oakley was an all star once, starks an all star once, Houston was an all star twice in the 2000 and 2001, sprewell was an all star on the warriors,

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
Mark Jackson had the rookie assist record that yr with average and most assist for a rookie( he is a potential hall of famer), Oakley was an all star once, starks an all star once, Houston was an all star twice in the 2000 and 2001, sprewell was an all star on the warriors,

Like I said, no other Knick was an all-star outside of 1994. Oakley and Starks were team success all-stars that year.

Ewing’s last year with the Knicks was 2000 re: Allen Houston and the short overlap with Spree has already been addressed.

:hmm: at describing Mark Jackson as a potential hall of famer in 2024.

Bottom line: Are you trying to argue Ewing had comparable support to Duncan?

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Like I said, no other Knick was an all-star outside of 1994. Oakley and Starks were team success all-stars that year.

Ewing’s last year with the Knicks was 2000 re: Allen Houston and the short overlap with Spree has already been addressed.

:hmm: at describing Mark Jackson as a potential hall of famer in 2024.

Mark Jackson 6 th all time in assist… mark Jackson rookie assist record still stands 37 yrs later.. Jordan, barkley , bird, pippen pretty much had all star selections on smash so most players were fighting for backup positions so getting all star selected was hard back in the days..throw in zeke and that pretty much was a guaranteed pg spot taken.. so pg, sg, sf , pf was pretty much taken b4 the season even started.. so him playing with no all stars just might mean they just wasn’t great like the several hall of famers I mentioned

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
Mark Jackson 6 th all time in assist… mark Jackson rookie assist record still stands 37 yrs later.. Jordan, barkley , bird, pippen pretty much had all star selections on smash so most players were fighting for backup positions so getting all star selected was hard back in the days..throw in zeke and that pretty much was a guaranteed pg spot taken.. so pg, sg, sf , pf was pretty much taken b4 the season even started.. so him playing with no all stars just might mean they just wasn’t great like the several hall of famers I mentioned

You went from claiming Mark Jackson, drafted 37 years ago, is a potential hall-of-famer as if he hasn't had a whole two careers since he retired and not been inducted... To now talking about how it was so hard to get selected to the all-star game back in the days :cmonson:

And you avoided the key question:

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered
I think #1 is Wilt & Shaq.

NBA Rookie: Avg 38 PTS, 27 REB
3rd Season: Avg 50 PTS, 26 REB
1st center to lead NBA in AST
Never fouled out of a GM
Nets offered him a contract at the age of 50

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
You went from claiming Mark Jackson, drafted 37 years ago, is a potential hall-of-famer as if he hasn't had a whole two careers since he retired and not been inducted... To now talking about how it was so hard to get selected to the all-star game back in the days :cmonson:

And you avoided the key question:

Zeke was gonna automatically start in that era.. so the best mark was gonna do in the 80s was be a backup all star…. Like I tell everyone about that era reason why people like Kevin Johnson isn’t in the hall of fame or was overlooked cause 3 pg were always gonna overshadow him.. magic, Stockton , zeke.. mvp, finals mvp, 10 straight assist title holder.. he automatically gonna miss all star games, not make first team nba, not get talk about as 2 guards who were winning chips and a cac that was dishing out 13-14 assist game.. this was the league back than.. mark was gonna get overshadowed by zeke, than you had guards that got love like mark price

Costanza

Rising Star
Registered

“I’m not saying Ray wasn’t great, but I’m a basketball player. I wasn’t one-dimensional. I just think I was a better player in-game… But when it comes to lining up on the court against a lot of guys that’s Hall of Famers, I bust they a** a lot of nights. It’s just the truth. I should have been an All-Star in multiple years.”