Movie News: Donald Glover, Phoebe Waller-Bridge to star in ‘Mr. and Mrs. Smith’ remake Update: Maya Erskine replaces her

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I didn't mean to suggest that the tv show should parrot the movie but rather it should contain the basic elements of what drives the movie's appeal. If the next Star Wars movie was a slapstick comedy, people would be pissed because its not what fans of the franchise expect to see. I think they used the brand popularity of the IP to do their own thing.
The "Earn with a will to kill" comment is a perfect description of what his take on Mr. Smith was. Like I said before I saw this: BOTH roles were miscast, IMO.
In real life, spies are more "normal" looking because they need to blend. That said, Mr. and Mrs Smith (movie) were not normal spies. The sensationalism was there. The pomp and exaggerated display of Bond films was there.
The tv show re-imagined the concept by using the recent "Bond is a codename" B.S. to shoehorn their characters into a universe of their own creation via the premise that anyone can be Mr. & Mrs. Smith. Not a problem at all, except they left out most of the tone and flair of the movie to do so and thereby slightly misleading the potential audience. To comp, they made them new spies to leave room to excuse the awkwardness and quirkiness that the characters had.
Now what the show did right was the deep dive into the characters and their personalities and a realness of dealing with the day-to-day of work/life balance that the movie itself didn't cover as well. Of course, the movie only had a couple of hours to do it.
It was an entertaining show. I would probably watch another season of it. I just felt like it wasn't a "real" Mr. & Mrs. Smith property. Maybe if he had cast John David Washington and Zendaya (ala their Malcolm and Marie characters), it might have worked better for me. The ineptness of he and Maya Erkstine was a constant irritation as well. I got tired of them fumbling their way to victories.
I could stand to see more of that fine ass sista Bev, tho. Bring her ass on back!
I get what your saying but I think because of 007 people use the term spy as a catch all for clandestine missions involving killing. Spies just get informative or make observations. If they have to kill someone shits gone sideways. Bond is more of an assassin than a spy..I dont think theres ever been a movie were he just went out got information and came back. Usually when he's assigned a mission its to kill someone. Thats just a straight up assassin...not a spy..lol The same for the smith in the movie and tv show. There was that 1 mission at the auction where they were supposed to just get information and ended up turning what was supposed to be a easter egg hunt into a straight buttfuckathon..LOL (extra points if you get that reference!)

And dont forget the movie had heavy elements of goofy comedy itself...did anyone really believe vince vaughn was some sort of elite operative??? half of their fight scenes were more like buster keaton than james bond.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I get what your saying but I think because of 007 people use the term spy as a catch all for clandestine missions involving killing. Spies just get informative or make observations. If they have to kill someone shits gone sideways. Bond is more of an assassin than a spy..I dont think theres ever been a movie were he just went out got information and came back. Usually when he's assigned a mission its to kill someone. Thats just a straight up assassin...not a spy..lol The same for the smith in the movie and tv show. There was that 1 mission at the auction where they were supposed to just get information and ended up turning what was supposed to be a easter egg hunt into a straight buttfuckathon..LOL (extra points if you get that reference!)

And dont forget the movie had heavy elements of goofy comedy itself...did anyone really believe vince vaughn was some sort of elite operative??? half of their fight scenes were more like buster keaton than james bond.

Bond is a blunt instrument

He is spy-ish.

But he does "gather intelligence" assess, surveillance distractions seduction destruction disruption and allow other agents to do their work.

But there is a reason he has that 00 rank

Like you said he helped create our film vocabulary as the text definition of SPY

And all its cinematic variations

The books and Pierce version the most "spy" if I remember correctly.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Whelp...

We were right @ViCiouS

And I like how it was settled grown folk business

I would like of the series continued for her to guest star or write and direct and episode.

keone

WORLD WAR K aka Sensei ALMONDZ
International Member
the choices of no tradecraft, no tactical displayed by the villains nor the protagonists , the characters don't even render first aid when injured...
they decided it doesn't matter - they were right

props-- they did their own stunts
and every episode had easter eggs - so far I caught running themes for watch nerds, photography buffs and audiophiles
it shows lol
the girl did use a double in the last ep
her moves when to lol to hmmm

keone

International Member
I really like her. I don't like the gossip I'm hearing about her ego and alleged very let's emasculate style behind the scenes.

And apparently your correct she really wanted to put her imprint on this and not kinda just participate.

I still think she COULD have done this if she was willing.

But her replacement is so f**king superb I can't even try to fight.
like vic said the prolly thought her cac ass
was going to run over black produced shows

keone

International Member
Excellent imo...
I wasn't really interested in this project at first.

a)The chick wasn't attractive to me
b) wasn't really a fan of the original Mr and Mrs Smith movie, and
c) I feel like this whole "couple as assasins/spies" shit has been done to death and nothing can really top what "The Americans" did in that genre.

But I'll never dismiss anything that donald and stephen glover and his team - Francesca Sloan, Janine Nabors etc create.... there's always so much thought and cultural nuance interspersed throughout their projects.

also, every episode has a 5 mins "making of" clip that provides some insight into the thought process behind the characters and episodes if you wanna do a lil extra digging after each episode.
they are crazy talented
if i was hollywood i would throw them the bag
i can see them reach jordan peele levels

Goingmark40

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
we'd gotten to episode 2 and wifey was like she got 2 more episodes before she call it quits saying there wasn't enough action for her. i warned her this had a lot of ATL quirks in it ... some episodes might have you like wtf sometimes lol but it should be good. we watched 2 episodes the next day and looked up yesterday she'd strolled to it and we finished it up. we enjoyed it. neither one of us seen the movie by the way

carsun1000

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Both are good actors but the Script is very slow. Wife of @Goingmark40 is right. Actions are sporadic, dialogues are too long and some of the script feel like fillers. I'm on episode 4. I hope it gets better.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
we'd gotten to episode 2 and wifey was like she got 2 more episodes before she call it quits saying there wasn't enough action for her. i warned her this had a lot of ATL quirks in it ... some episodes might have you like wtf sometimes lol but it should be good. we watched 2 episodes the next day and looked up yesterday she'd strolled to it and we finished it up. we enjoyed it. neither one of us seen the movie by the way
Both are good actors but the Script is very slow. Wife of @Goingmark40 is right. Actions are sporadic, dialogues are too long and some of the script feel like fillers. I'm on episode 4. I hope it gets better.

Respect...

I heard that A LOT

And I had absolutely no issues with the pacing, I thought it was well done throughout.

durham

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I am happy to see Glover trying new things and stretching his talent.

I just could not deal with the lead actress and her appearance. She was just too unattractive for me as the viewer to believe the more sensual scenes. I know some men enjoy ugly women, but to allow an ugly women to dominate you, demean you, and emasculate you for 8 episodes :cmonson: . I could have used more action spanning this many episodes. The dialogue was excellent though. I wouldn't mind a Jane and John spin off with you know who, as both were more interesting in my opinion.

That ending was wack. The flash bang count didn't match :gun02: 6.8/10.

MistaPhantastic

Rising Star
Platinum Member

That is such a feminine conversation.
I broke a fool down about this years ago and I think I posted our conversation on here, too.
I'mma say this shit again for those in the back with the cheap seats: MEN are not defined by who they sleep with or marry. A man can be pro black as fuck and be banging, married to or living with any other race of woman. Women derive their social status from the men that marry them, not the other way around. This is why women say that shit. This is a social construct that women are bound to. Men don't normally take womens' last name in marriage, either.
This mentality is birthed from the past few generations of black men being raised in single mother households and black women having that mindset. Women usually share the resources of the man they are with and its a shaming technique (women's tactics) to try to convince a black man that he needs to only procreate with black women. A black man could give a thousand black people jobs but the women will focus on who he is fucking because women are looking at who will potentially control his resources.
It really comes down to what's more important to the individual - his own personal happiness/contentment or what he is doing for optics. I'm not defending Glover, either. He might be a bitch ass sellout. I don't know. I don't know him. I just know that is not the case for every black man who dates/marries "outside" the race.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

Mr.-Mrs.-Smith.png