Movie News: Ryan Coogler & Michael B. Jordan - SINNERS - jim crow era vampire flick

Black Sexxxploitation

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It seems a little weird that some people are trying to point out plotholes and inconsistencies based solely on what they've seen in a trailer. This would hardly be the very first time a vampire movie featured either guns being used against vampires and/or vampires walking around in daylight. I'm sure the finished film will provide both context and internal logic to properly explain what the trailer has shown.

Personally I think it looks dope. It's nice to see Coogler doing a passion project.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
It seems a little weird that some people are trying to point out plotholes and inconsistencies based solely on what they've seen in a trailer. This would hardly be the very first time a vampire movie featured either guns being used against vampires and/or vampires walking around in daylight. I'm sure the finished film will provide both context and internal logic to properly explain what the trailer has shown.

Personally I think it looks dope. It's nice to see Coogler doing a passion project.

^^^^

Kaboom

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

A Running List Of Ryan Coogler And Michael B. Jordan Collaborations And Where To Stream Them​

Kimberly RicciFilm/TV Editor
Twitter
September 24, 2024

The new Sinners trailer debuted this week and introduced the world to the fifth feature collaboration between powerhouse filmmaker Ryan Coogler and actor/producer/sometimes director Michael B. Jordan. The resulting horror movie follows troubled twin brothers, both portrayed by Jordan, who will “return to their hometown to start again, only to discover that an even greater evil is waiting to welcome them back” during Jim Crow-era South.

This formerly top-secret project will arrive in March 2025, which isn’t exactly tomorrow, but if you would like to relive collaborative cinematic excellence, here is where you can stream the pair’s existing joint works:

Fruitvale Station (streaming on Max): Coogler’s debut feature film retraces the events leading up to the death of Oscar Grant (Jordan) who was killed in Oakland by now-ex-police officer Johannes Mehserle.

Creed (streaming on MGM+ & Amazon): This film introduces a more than worthy trilogy of Rocky Balboa successor movies, which co-starred Sylvester Stallone in trainer and mentor form to Adonis Johnson Creed (Jordan), whose father, Apollo Creed, was killed while fighting dastardly rival Ivan Drago.

Black Panther (streaming on Disney+): With Chadwick Boseman in the lead and heroic role, Jordan got to have a (shirtless) blast portraying Erik Killmonger, who remains an almost universal favorite villain of those who have ever counted themselves fans of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (streaming on Disney+) This film not only stood as a merited sequel but also honored the late Boseman. Even though Killmonger obviously did not emerge as the new Black Panther, Jordan still got to briefly raise his character from the grave with a too-short display of nuance.

Let’s close with a half-serious dream for the future.

The planned revival of The X-Files: Original series creator Chris Carter broke the news of Coogler’s in-the-works series that will further investigate whether “the truth is out there” as Fox Mulder subscribed. Gillian Anderson has gone on the record to say that she would be down to reprise Scully in this very real project, but god only knows if a release date will materialize. Still, it’s tempting to wonder what role, if any, that Jordan could adopt, whether that involves producing or even stepping into “I want to believe” shoes.

We’ll stop speculating now. Happy viewing for the above (completed) films.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
y’all getting too technical with the vampires during the day shit
Just enjoy the movie
That’s like saying we getting technical about an ocean movie when the whole thing takes place on a desert… oceans go together with deserts like vampires go together with sunlight… it’s not vampires if they can tolerate the sun, can take a stake in the heart, don’t drink blood, are violent killers, hate holy water and don’t fall back when they see a cross

Black Sexxxploitation

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
My favorite vampire movie ever is a vampire/western hybrid that openly flaunts more than a few of the established “rules” of the genre. Like a lot of modern vampire movies, it operates according to its own internal logic rather than some “official playbook” of vampire lore. It has a unique 80’s vibe and features vampires that use guns and operate more like a serial killing outlaw biker club. Certain images from the ‘Sinners’ trailer brought it immediately to mind:

near-dark-md-web.jpg

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
My favorite vampire movie ever is a vampire/western hybrid that openly flaunts more than a few of the established “rules” of the genre. Like a lot of modern vampire movies, it operates according to its own internal logic rather than some “official playbook” of vampire lore. It has a unique 80’s vibe and features vampires that use guns and operate more like a serial killing outlaw biker club. Certain images from the ‘Sinners’ trailer brought it immediately to mind:

near-dark-md-web.jpg

My brother

Black Sexxxploitation

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That’s like saying we getting technical about an ocean movie when the whole thing takes place on a desert… oceans go together with deserts like vampires go together with sunlight… it’s not vampires if they can tolerate the sun, can take a stake in the heart, don’t drink blood, are violent killers, hate holy water and don’t fall back when they see a cross
I feel what you're saying. But at the same time, all vampire movies don't play by the same rules. There was an entire dialogue exchange in the 1994 film adaptation of 'Interview with a Vampire' where Brad Pitt's character Louis breaks down popular myths about vampires to Christian Slater's character Daniel. Louis says that he quite enjoys looking at crucifixes and that wooden stakes don't work. In the original 'Blade,' the titular character is killing vampires with silver bullets, which I had always attributed exclusively to werewolf lore up until that point. Part of the fun of these movies is seeing what new variations writers and filmmakers can come up with to keep things interesting.

BenQ

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
so you won't be watching the movie?

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
so you won't be watching the movie?
Free.com more than likely.. if ya reviews are bad might be put on the back burner to eventually to neveruray 32nd.. I also pointed out in my first comment was that I was confused from reading the summary about them being twin bros and being vampires and than watching trailer and seeing them walk in the daylight, than seeing them looking like they were about to fight certain entities ( basically wondering was the summary wrong and in actuality they are human and fighting vampires)

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

near-dark-md-web.jpg
This was the low budget cousin of lost boys.. that's how some individuals have labeled it over the yrs.. if not mistaken they came out the same yr, 1 was in theatres and I believe this didn't make it or had extremely limited release. This use to come on hbo all the time back in the days.. just in case why you want to know the comparison, group of vampires that are killers trying to groom a new comer, bunch of violence on innocent civilians, going out hunting, the main character not being down with accepting being a vampire,

Black Sexxxploitation

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This was the low budget cousin of lost boys.. that's how some individuals have labeled it over the yrs.. if not mistaken they came out the same yr, 1 was in theatres and I believe this didn't make it or had extremely limited release. This use to come on hbo all the time back in the days.. just in case why you want to know the comparison, group of vampires that are killers trying to groom a new comer, bunch of violence on innocent civilians, going out hunting, the main character not being down with accepting being a vampire,
I understand the comparison because I remember that year very well (1987) and I also remember the advertising and trailers for both films. The description of this being the "low-budget cousin" of 'The Lost Boys' is kind of weird to me though. I've honestly never heard anyone whose seen both films describe 'Near Dark' that way. Plot similarities aside, they aren't really the same film at all. If anything, I'd say that 'The Lost Boys' was by far the blander of the two films. It seemed to skew younger and be aimed at more of a Hair metal/MTV crowd, complete with a soundtrack that catered to such tastes. It also had a 'Goonies' style band of preteen heroes, which is likely why it was huge with kids at the time. I like 'The Lost Boys' just fine, but 'Near Dark' is the one that has stayed with me into adulthood. IMO it's far creepier. I can actually imagine running into Jesse Hooker and his makeshift vampire family at bar or truck stop. They'd blend in with the environment and not reveal themselves until the appropriate time. I could honestly care less about which one was more popular with general audiences at time.

Last edited:

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I understand the comparison because I remember that year very well (1987) and I also remember the advertising and trailers for both films. The description of this being the "low-budget cousin" of 'The Lost Boys' is kind of weird to me though. I've honestly never heard anyone whose seen it describe it that way. Plot similarities aside, they aren't really the same film at all. If anything, I'd say that 'The Lost Boys' was by far the blander of the two. It seemed to be aimed at more of a Hair metal/MTV crowd, complete with a soundtrack that catered to such tastes. I also could care less about which film was more popular or did better at the box office. I like 'The Lost Boys' just fine, but 'Near Dark' is the one that has stayed with me into adulthood. IMO it's far creepier.
Industry heads have called it that cause it's the known lesser of the 2. Plus believe the budget was less to make it. Yes this 1 was much darker and gory. It was cool to me but I'm gonna pick lost boys over the 2. Like I said use to watch it when they showed it all the time on hbo

Black Sexxxploitation

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Industry heads have called it that cause it's the known lesser of the 2. Plus believe the budget was less to make it. Yes this 1 was much darker and gory. It was cool to me but I'm gonna pick lost boys over the 2. Like I said use to watch it when they showed it all the time on hbo
I'm judging each film on it's own merits, or what I believe to be the merits of each film. I'm also evaluating them in terms of entertainment value. For me, budgetary concerns don't necessarily factor into that unless the film in question appears to be hobbled by it's budget.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I'm judging each film on it's own merits, or what I believe to be the merits of each film. I'm also evaluating them in terms of entertainment value. For me, budgetary concerns don't necessarily factor into that unless the film in question appears to be hobbled by it's budget.
As already stated I thought it was cool