Music Class: Method Man Ft. Mary J. Blige - All I Need

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
* Probably the greatest hip hop love song of all time. (All due respect to Uncle L) but EVERYONE I mean your mom, auntie everyone loved this song...it was hard, soulful, smooth, rugged, nasty, real and hood... Hip Hop so needs something like this right now. What a perfect combination, RZA, Puffy, Method, Mary and that sample.

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x1088j" allowfullscreen></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1088j_method-man-mary-j-all-i-need_music" target="_blank">Method Man &amp; Mary J - All I Need</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/lincal77" target="_blank">lincal77</a></i>​

[Refrain: Mary J. Blige and sampled Notorious B.I.G.]
You're all, I need
Lie together, cry together
I swear to God I hope we fucking die together
To get by
You're all, I need
[Lie together, cry together
I swear to God I hope we fucking die together]
To get by
[Verse 1]
Shorty I'm there for you anytime you need me
For real girl, it's me in your world, believe me
Nothing make a man feel better than a woman
Queen with a crown that be down for whatever
There are few things that's forever, my lady
We can make war or make babies
Back when I was nothing
You made a brother feel like he was something
That's why I'm with you to this day boo no fronting
Even when the skies were gray
You would rub me on my back and say, baby it'll be okay
Now that's real to a brother like me baby
Never ever give my cootie away and keep it tight aight
And I'mma walk these dogs so we can live
In a fat-ass crib with thousands of kids
Word life, you don't need a ring to be my wife
Just be there for me and I'mma make sure we be
Living in the effin lap of luxury
I'm realizing that you didn't have to funk with me
But you did, now I'm going all out kid
And I got mad love to give, you my nigga

[Refrain x2]

[Interlude: Mary J. Blige]
Like sweet morning dew
I took one look at you
And it was plain to see
You were my destiny
With you I'll spend my time
I'll dedicate my life, I'll sacrifice for you
Dedicate my life to you

[Verse 2]
I got a Love Jones for your body and your skin tone
Five minutes alone, I'm already on the bone
Plus I love the fact you got a mind of your own
No need to shop around you got the good stuff at home
Even if I'm locked up North you in the world
Wrapped in three-fourths of cloth never showing your stuff off, boo
It be true me for you, that's how it is
I be your knower, you be my Wiz
I'm your Mister, you my Misses with hugs and kisses
Valentine cards and birthday wishes, please
We on another level of planning, of understanding
The bond between man and woman, and child
The highest elevation, cause we above
All that romance crap, just show your love

[Refrain]

[Outro: Method Man]
I'm sick of police
Cheeba cheeba y'all
And you don't stop
Yeah yeah, cootie in the -- Tical
Cheeba cheeba y'all, and you don't stop
Yeah yeah, cootie in the chair, Tical
Cheeba cheeba y'all, and you don't stop
Yeah yeah, cootie in the chair, Tical
Mary J. raw, and Meth-Tical
Like sweet morning dew
Yeah yeah
I took one look at you
Cootie in the chair, Tical
And it was plain to see
Cheeba cheeba y'all
You were my destiny, baby
Cheeba cheeba y'all
Cheeba cheeba y'all, bring it on, yeah
What's that shit that they be smoking
No romance without finance for now
Baby, please, ninety-five
Ticallion Stallion, ha ha, ha ha
Man woman and child, yeah

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
*original version

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KBW8cvwjkDY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>​

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gdqtmnd2T0U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>​

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rueScMSnRP4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>​

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The song received a platinum certification for single sales of over 1,200,000 in the U.S. making it the only female/rap collaboration to achieve sales of over 1 million (physical) sales in the 90s.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The song also ended up winning the duo the Grammy Award for Best Rap Performance by a Duo or Group in 1996.​

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
http://www.complex.com/music/2012/0...d-man-mary-j-blige-ill-be-there-for-you-youre

Poke: “That song is us. [We produced it] all the way. Everything. Big record, but the credits got twisted out. It’s listed as Puff Daddy as producer and drum programming by Poke, or some shit like that. But it was us, all the way. It’s fucking ridiculous. A soon as the record comes out, we seen the credits like, ‘What the fuck!?! We just got dicked.’

“It was a big deal. You come in the studio, you’re making hot records, and you know that this shit is fire. You’re going home thinking, ‘Oh, I’m good. I’m about to have this record come out.’ Then the fucking record winds up winning a fucking Grammy and you’re like, ‘Holy shit, I did that record!’

“But when lawyers get involved, credits get fixed. It may not get fixed on the actual records though, because if you got a record that sold a million copies, there’s a million copies with wrong credits out there. It’s not like you can tell them to retract all the copies. All they do is fix it moving forward on the second or third shipment, so maybe 300,000 copies have the right credits.

That song is us. [We produced it] all the way. Everything. Big record, but the credits got twisted out. It’s listed as Puff Daddy as producer and drum programming by Poke. But it was us, all the way. It’s f**king ridiculous. - Poke

“Stuff like that was going on all the time. There’s a million records out there with wrong credits that nobody knows. That happened not just to us but to Swizz Beatz, DJ Premier, and a lot of guys. Large Professor went through that big time.

“What happened was I was in my crib and Puff was like, ‘Yo, you’ve got to do this remix for Mary and Meth.’ Okay, I’m on my way. I jumped on the train and came down to the studio. I went into the studio. Mary didn’t get to the studio yet and then Meth came in.

“This is the situations that Tone and I hate: there was like 50 niggas in the studio. It was Wu-Tang’d out like it was crazy. I’m there trying to make this fucking record and I’m looking back at all these smoked-out dudes.

“I’m like, ‘How the fuck am I gonna make a hot record in front of all these guys?’ I asked Puff, ‘Can you tell these niggas to go wait in the lounge?’ He was like, ‘Nigga, you want me to tell all these niggas to go get in the lounge? You’re bugging.’ So I’m like, okay.

“They played me the original version of the song, the one that RZA did. No disrespect, but I said to myself, ‘This shit is wack. What the fuck am I going to do?’ I was sitting there and then Puff was like, ‘We’ve got to keep the melody, we got to keep the whole vibe.’ I was like, ‘What?’ Puff was like, ‘Just do something. Let’s grab one of the loops, it’s gonna be easy. Mary’s going to do her thing on it. We’re going to put them in the club!’

“I was like, ‘We’re going to put them in the club with this record? How the fuck are we going to do that?’ The engineer was looking at me like, ‘What are we doing?’ I was like, ‘Holy shit.’ Puff was like, ‘We need to just make them bounce like one of them Slick Rick records.’ I was like, ‘You got any Slick Rick beats with you?’ So he told the intern to go get a Slick Rick album. The intern gets the Slick Rick album.

I said, ‘Puff, you my dude and all but we got to like, have a conversation with Steve about how we’re going to move forward with all this stuff.’ Puff is like, ‘Ni**a what? I gotta talk to somebody? Ni**a, I got you on speed dial! How you going to tell me I got to call somebody?!?!’ After that, we didn’t make any more records with Puff. Just like that. - Poke

“He gives me the Slick Rick album and we’re playing it.’ I was like, ‘OK, I can use these drums.’ So I chopped up the kicks and snares and I put the beat on and the beat was on for like at least 15 minutes, just the beat.

“The strings were on the track, I said we can keep these strings. It was just the strings on the hook and I was like, ‘So what are we going to do?’ Then I took the M1 and I got to the favorite bass that we liked on the M1 and added that. I was just going, ‘Dun dun, dun dun.’

“Puff start going crazy. ‘AHHHH! THIS IS IT! THIS THE SMASH!’ He started doing all the shit that he does. So I’m looking at him like, ‘Really? This shit is hot?’ He’s like, ‘This is hot.’ So Meth does his Meth shit and I track it.

“But then Steve Stoute came and grabbed me out the studio and was like, ‘Yo, we’re not doing this no more.’ I said, ‘Let me just finish this record.’ Steve walks in and has the biggest argument in the world with Puff about me being in the studio. That’s when Steve was like, ‘Yo, we can’t let this shit happen no more. If Puffy calls you, don’t even go back to the studio because this is bullshit.’”

Tone: “At the time, Steve was trying to straighten out our business. Puffy was being resistant and was like, ‘I got my own deal with Poke.’ Steve was trying to be like, ‘Man, you can’t just do that.’”

Poke: “I finished making the record and went home. Next day, Puff calls me and is like, ‘NIGGA WE GOT A SMASH!!’ I’m like, ‘Really? Alright cool.’ But then I say, ‘Puff, you my dude and all but we got to like, have a conversation with Steve about how we’re going to move forward with all this stuff.’

“Puff is like, ‘Nigga what? I gotta talk to somebody? Nigga, I got you on speed dial! How you going to tell me I got to call somebody?!?!’ After that, we didn’t make any more records with Puff. Just like that.

“[In the end] I got the Grammy for that record, but it’s upsetting that the audience can’t acknowledge or appreciate the true career of a marquee production team in retrospect. You say to yourself, ‘Damn, if they would have known everything that we had done, they would have looked at us differently than they look at us now.’

It’s upsetting that the audience can’t acknowledge or appreciate the true career of a marquee production team in retrospect. You say to yourself, ‘Damn, if they would have known everything that we had done, they would have looked at us differently than they look at us now. - Poke

“Not to say that people look at us and don’t think that we’ve done great work. I just think that they would have looked at it like instead of us being let’s say top 10 producers, we would’ve been top 7 or something. It’s cool. We move on. We make mistakes in life and we move forward.

“There were a lot of different situations where we influenced or directed a situation or put our stamp on something and didn’t get credited for. And then it wound up being the best shit at the time. We just look at those situations and know what not to do next time.

“We seen Puff all the time [after falling out over ‘All I Need’]. It was just, if you want to hire the Trackmasters to make a record for you, you’re going to hire the Trackmasters to make a record for you. That was the mentality. It wasn’t no more of, ‘They’re going to come in, you’re going to get all the credit, and you’re going to get all of the money.’ No. These are the Trackmasters. You are hiring them to produce a record.”

VAiz4hustlaz

Proud ADOS and not afraid to step to da mic!
BGOL Investor
Good throwback, but isn't the version you first posted the "Razor Sharp" mix by RZA? The Puff/Trackmasters version is below:

Upgrade Dave

Rising Star
Registered
:)
This is why I fuck with your Music Class threads, playa.

Every version of this song is great to me with the Razor Sharp remix my personal favorite.

The more popular Trackmaster version is the wife and my song and has been since it came out.

Great article and interview.

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Man they played this song soooo much til I don't even like it or the video of him buying pads and running from the cops.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
NYC'S ELITE !! TEAM UP TO BRING YOU THE ULTIMATE R&B PARTY HOSTED BY THE QUEEN OF R & B MARY J BLIGE LIVE AT CONEY ISLAND ART WALLS
About this event

SUNDAY JULY 31st
NYC”S ELITE !! TEAM UP TO BRING YOU
THE ULTIMATE R and B EVENT ‼
JUNETEENTH R & B BRUNCH
HOSTED BY MARY J BLIGE
DAY PARTY 3pm~10pm
@ THE CONEY ISLAND ART WALLS
350 STILLWELL AVE BROOKLYN NY
WE BRINGING THAT CLASSIC 80’s, 90,s
& EARLY 2000,s GETTING THAT NY FEEL BACK
Coney island
$75.00 ADVANCE TIX ON SALE TODAY‼
Advance Tickets $75.00
No refunds only credits to next event !!!
For advance tickets and tables
CALL 917-975-0533 OR EMAIL GMPRODS@GMAIL.COM
THIS EVENT WILL BE EPIC‼‼‼
Bottle packages (HENNESSY, PATRON , CASAMIGOS, GREY GOOSE, MOET NECTAR ROSE,)

BRONZE PACKAGE :$850. 00 INCLUDES 2 BOTTLES 4 COMP TIX & ONE STAND UP TABLE
SILVER PACKAGE : $1350.00 INCLUDES 3 BOTTLES 6 COMP TIX & ONE STANDUP TABLE
GOLD PACKAGE : $1,800.00 INCLUDES 4 BOTTLES 8 COMP TIX & 1 SECTION
PLATINUM PACKAGE : $2300.00 INCLUDES 5 BOTTLES 10 COMP TIX & 1 SECTION
BALLER PACKAGE: 4,500.00 INCLUDES 10 BOTTLES 20 COMP TIX 2 SECTIONS OR CABANA

Tags

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
396312605_384593057406044_1812011883924429778_n.jpg