Music Debate: Could a CLEAN rap act like Heavy D be successful today?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Growing up hip hop fans were able to appreciate and support ALL types of rap and one of the BIGGEST artists ever was Heavy D (RIP)

Could a rap act TODAY be able to not curse and be relatively CLEAN and be as successful as Heavy D crossing so many groups and musical genres???

Lehigh

Rising Star
Registered
I'd buy his album if he came in today. Folk would call duke lame and corny for not speaking about dope, growing up in some lower income estate etc.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
what acts are LIKE heavy D today?? whose in the same vien?

Heavy D was a dancing rapper

he wasn't overly profane

he primarily made party/dance music

who's doing all three of those things today and is mainstream or universally accepted in hip hop??

yureeka9

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Absolutely. It depends on his flow and his delivery. A lot of people don't realize that Rakim became one of the greatest MCs ever without having to curse, rap about fuckin and killin or trying to bling. It can be done if you got the skills.

lazarus

waking people up
BGOL Investor
Of course especially if they have a Disney fan base. Silento like acts could make millions. Attract grown men? Have to have insane mic skills. Women? Easy with catchy best and sing hook.

SamSneed

Disciple of Zod
BGOL Investor
where are the party MCs?

tumblr_noztjp53lU1qcmeemo1_500.jpg

grownazzblakman

Rising Star
Platinum Member
I believe so.

But the 'clean' emcee would probably have to be 'independent', with his own 'distribution system' that doesn't rely on 'major labels'.

Because once a 'major label' gets involved... The very first thing they would try to do is get the emcee to 'change his image', so he can sell more records (in the south, or east, or west, or north, or overseas, or insert any region/location on a map) :rolleyes:

Mack1052

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I mean isn't that what Drake is? That's about as clean as you'll get.

Profanity is the issue with Drake. Heav barely cursed.

Rappers got lazy lyrically. There's not many rappers who don't curse when they rhyme because cursing is a major part of their lyrics itself. Just listen to radio editions of today's most popular tracks

durham

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Lecrae is pretty popular (not sure how much he sells though). So yes its doable, but you have to be a GREAT performer. I have not seen a great live emcee set in awhile. Beats knock, pyro sets are amazing, but pure human energy.....nope

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
what acts are LIKE heavy D today?? whose in the same vien?

Heavy D was a dancing rapper

he wasn't overly profane

he primarily made party/dance music

who's doing all three of those things today and is mainstream or universally accepted in hip hop??

still waiting for the answer... the lack of one shows you where hip hop culture and rap music is going:smh::smh:

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Could a rap act TODAY be able to not curse and be relatively CLEAN and be as successful as Heavy D crossing so many groups and musical genres???
Possible,I mean he or should would have to have the right people behind em and be talented in not just rapping but acting and the sorts to even make a dent today as a clean cut anything.

People hate on Nick Cannon but he's kinda there except he didn't start out as a rapper but he's doing a good job of expanding himself even with the remarks of 'he's corny'

exiledking

Rising Star
OG Investor
Great question. Any things possible but very slim odds. Under the guise of a gospel act I guess.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Profanity is the issue with Drake. Heav barely cursed.

Rappers got lazy lyrically. There's not many rappers who don't curse when they rhyme because cursing is a major part of their lyrics itself. Just listen to radio editions of today's most popular tracks

yup

I thought he would of learned his lesson with Best I ever had if they didn't make that radio edit?

it was over

Andeyhollawho

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

VIC never cursed. There are rappers out there who don't but people just assume they do. It can work because music is single and radio driven now. People know clean versions and rock to them. Albums aren't the major selling point anymore. So if you can make clean singles and string them together you got a career.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Travis Scott curses either?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

VIC never cursed. There are rappers out there who don't but people just assume they do. It can work because music is single and radio driven now. People know clean versions and rock to them. Albums aren't the major selling point anymore. So if you can make clean singles and string them together you got a career.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Travis Scott curses either?

i think you are correct.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Define clean. Positive, yes. But Com, nor Kweli are what I would call clean.

I would call Heavy D the epitome of CLEAN.

He was positive talented different flows could rock any crowd any age any demographic women liked him men liked him he was respected in all circles

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I would call Heavy D the epitome of CLEAN.

He was positive talented different flows could rock any crowd any age any demographic women liked him men liked him he was respected in all circles

the thing was he wasn't alone..there was kid n play and tribe called quest and de la soul, mc hammer, chubb rock, mc lyte, monie love, dj jazzy jeff and fresh prince, black sheep, Lords of the Underground, Craig Mack (the couple of hits he had wasn't profane really) Big Daddy Kane, Digital Underground...you can go on. and these acts range from late 80s to mid 90s and theres BARELY any profanity or hardcore violent or misogynistic verbal imagery among them.. and MOST of them had multiple hits most mainstream...

now can anyone rattle off a list of todays artists that are like that??

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
the thing was he wasn't alone..there was kid n play and tribe called quest and de la soul, mc hammer, chubb rock, mc lyte, monie love, dj jazzy jeff and fresh prince, black sheep, Lords of the Underground, Craig Mack (the couple of hits he had wasn't profane really) Big Daddy Kane, Digital Underground...you can go on. and these acts range from late 80s to mid 90s and theres BARELY any profanity or hardcore violent or misogynistic verbal imagery among them.. and MOST of them had multiple hits most mainstream...

now can anyone rattle off a list of todays artists that are like that??
My point exactly

Dr. Truth

QUACK!
BGOL Investor
Lecrae is wack. Nigga subliminally rapping about his white jesus to brainwash more black folk into worshiping that cac fake prophit.