Music News: Swizz Beatz ASKS Justin Timberlake at Timbaland Verzuz: ‘Be a Part of the Black Culture’

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Swizz Beatz Calls Out Justin Timberlake at Timbaland Verzuz: ‘Be a Part of the Black Culture’
By Justin Curto

Photo: Manny Carabel/Getty Images
This weekend’s Verzuz rematch between Swizz Beatz and Timbaland was full of mutual admiration between the two hip-hop titans, who first inaugurated the beat battles on Instagram in March 2020 and returned for seconds on May 30 in Miami. “I’m not gonna lie, that’s one of my favorite records,” Swizz told Timbaland after he played Aaliyah’s “Try Again” early into the matchup, saying he’d “step aside” for that round. But that wasn’t the case when Timbaland played Jay-Z’s 2013 track “Holy Grail,” which features his close collaborator Justin Timberlake on the chorus. “Until you can get Justin Timberlake on Verzuz, I don’t really wanna hear those vocals,” Swizz replied, after a laugh.

The comment came after Timbaland had hinted back in January at a Verzuz battle between Timberlake and Usher, even telling ESPN’s Jalen & Jacoby that Drake wanted the battle to happen.

Once the battle went into overtime, Timbaland pulled out bigger Timberlake hits like “Cry Me a River” and “SexyBack,” which led Swizz to make a more pointed statement.

“Until Justin let the world know that he —” he started, before Timbaland cut in. “Justin gotta come out, he’s coming out,” Timbaland assured his partner. “He gotta admit that he love the Black culture and he gotta be on this stage,” Swizz continued. He went on to give Timberlake a direct invitation: “You took from the Black culture, you give to the Black culture. Come to Verzuz and be a part of the Black culture.”

Recapping the Verzuz on Instagram Live on May 31, Timbaland told Swizz he “went a little hard on my brother JT” (beginning around 2:14). Swizz replied, “Look, man, I had to go hard. Did you hear how them songs were sounding on that stage? You and JT, it was like JT was in the building. I was like, man!” The mogul went on to add that he “was just having fun.” “I don’t got no problem with JT,” Swizz said. And he once again extended the invite for a future Verzuz: “Shout-out to JT,” he continued. “We can’t wait to get you onstage having fun, ’cause you deserve it too.”

The rest of the night, though, was more drama-free. Guests like Nas, Rick Ross, Busta Rhymes, Fabolous, and DaBaby were in the audience for the battle, which Swizz and Timbaland dedicated to their late collaborators DMX and Aaliyah. During overtime, Swizz even pulled out a remix of one of the tracks he produced on DMX’s posthumous album Exodus. He played a J. Cole verse on “Bath Salts,” the new DMX banger that already featured fellow New York legends Jay-Z and Nas. We’ll be looking for that one on the deluxe.

Goingmark40

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
i like timberlake and some of his music but he don't need to be in no versus with usher. we remember and can sing along to wayyyyyy more usher songs than justin. hell just put on his confessions album and it'll be wrap

2missedcalls

Rising Star
Platinum Member
giphy.gif
said it best.
I am the worst thing since Elvis Presley
To do black music so selfishly
And use it to get myself wealthy

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Yeah obviously Swizz and Tim were hanging out with Justin or speaking to him weeks ago.

They asked him to be on Verzuz and Justin fronted.

That is why Swizz is calling him out now.

That was THEN this is NOW.

keone

WORLD WAR K aka Sensei ALMONDZ
International Member
Begging the white man to love you. Swizz a fucking clown.
Swizz replied, “Look, man, I had to go hard. Did you hear how them songs were sounding on that stage? You and JT, it was like JT was in the building. I was like, man!” The mogul went on to add that he “was just having fun.” “I don’t got no problem with JT,” Swizz said. And he once again extended the invite for a future Verzuz: “Shout-out to JT,” he continued. “We can’t wait to get you onstage having fun, ’cause you deserve it too.”

@playahaitian delete the thread that bald headed vulture lookin ass didnt say shit

Last edited:

DiGeneral

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Usher trounces Timberfake, by the 5 round. In my opinion, the mere thought is a disrespect to Usher. If it happens, they should dance battle too, this way Justin can go and slit his wrists in the green room.

diamond4981

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Usher trounces Timberfake, by the 5 round. In my opinion, the mere thought is a disrespect to Usher. If it happens, they should dance battle too, this way Justin can go and slit his wrists in the green room.
They both got solid catalogs but the main person if he didn't fuck up would be kellz he would be hard to beat in a verzuz like thanos or some shit.

dtownsfinest

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

You bugging. Usher is 10x's the artist is but if its a 10 song battle for battle? You wilding...Neptunes and TImbo gave Justin Timberlake some BANGERS. Some of that shit was even intended for Michael Jackson. Timberlake got very lucky when he came into the game.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Swizz replied, “Look, man, I had to go hard. Did you hear how them songs were sounding on that stage? You and JT, it was like JT was in the building. I was like, man!” The mogul went on to add that he “was just having fun.” “I don’t got no problem with JT,” Swizz said. And he once again extended the invite for a future Verzuz: “Shout-out to JT,” he continued. “We can’t wait to get you onstage having fun, ’cause you deserve it too.”

@playahaitian delete the thread that bald headed vulture lookin ass didnt say shit

Hmmmm

Let me change the title quick bro

I'll give a proper review later and of course delete if necessary

Thegooch

The Devil killed Heist & giggled about it @ brunch
Registered
Begging the white man to love you. Swizz a fucking clown.

Give ol' Sweet Beats a break
A
licia slapped him silly with a strap on didlo the previous night. He was having CTE concussion issues when asking that question. .

dik cashmere

Freaky Tah gettin high that's my brother
BGOL Investor

It’s easy to see why the invite riled up fans given the history between the pop stars; the world still hasn’t quite forgiven Timberlake for his role in stalling Jackson’s music career for several decades following their controversial Super Bowl performance. But even beyond Nipplegate, the choice to consider Timberlake over Jackson as a viable participant in the music competition isn’t just misogynistic — it’s also utterly ridiculous.

Keeping it real, a lot of the R&B and pop girls that we know today wouldn't be able to exist without her; songs like "I Get Lonely," "The Pleasure Principle," and "All for You" are quite literally the road map for spiritual descendants like Aaliyah, Beyoncé, Ciara, FKA twigs, Teyana Taylor, and Tinashe. In short, Janet Jackson is Black music. She is Black culture.

There's no denying that Timberlake has certainly earned his place as an industry icon — the music speaks for itself — but his early solo discography is also heavily influenced by R&B and hip hop sounds that he himself wouldn't even stay true to. (We didn't forget Filthy.) I know that I’ve definitely joked around and named some non-Black talent in a potential Verzuz lineup in the past, but the reality is that there are still so many other Black artists who deserve their flowers. Where's our Mariah Carey and Friends moment? When are we highlighting Mary J. Blige's catalogue? Why haven't Usher or Ciara been given the stage? Hell, I'll even take that Bow Wow moment now; in seriousness, we couldn't have done the early 2000s without him.