Netflix: Yall watching Rhythm + Flow? UPDATE: Season 2

Hey Julian!

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I can’t do them American Idol style shows too much. The novelty has worn off. Hip-Hop is about lyrical prowess not just the sound of your voice so it’s not that kind of competition. People that win battle rap competition generally don’t have commercial success. Shits gonna feel forced like Da Band I think. I’ll check the first episode to see if they prove me wrong ,but reality TV always finds a way to be fake.

Last edited:

phanatic

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I can’t do them American Idol style shows too much. The novelty has worn off. Hip-Hop is about lyrical prowess not just the sound of your voice so it’s not the day kind of competition. People that win battle rap competition generally don’t have commercial success. Shits gonna feel forced like Da Band I think. I’ll check the first episode to see if they prove me wrong ,but reality TV always finds a way to be fake.

I saw the preview trailer. I'll watch it, but I have to clear my mind to go in unbiased. I sawthat Cardi B is a judge...I really don't feel good about that considering she really doesn't have any lyrical rap songs. Popular songs? Yeah. Content? Nah.

Tdot_firestarta

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I normally dont fuck with reality shows like that and absolutely hate all "talent show" types of reality shows...never watched a single episode of american idol, the voice, dancing with the stars etc

didnt think I would care about this show since I dont really value cardi bs opinion but we really enjoyed this shit...it was very well done, production was on point, good cameos...loved seeing jadakiss, fat joe, Nipsey.....and there were some really talented artists in this shit..i thought London B was a superstar from the moment I saw her, flawless is polished, and I'd actually cop a D smoke album

Ghost'Em

Rising Star
Registered
Finished the entire season. I think it was rigged.

Spoilers:

Smoke’s brother SiR is signed to TDE. He has major ties to the industry as he has wrote for a lot of people. Plus, his mother was a major back up singer.

respiration

/ˌrespəˈrāSH(ə)n/
BGOL Patreon Investor
I normally dont fuck with reality shows like that and absolutely hate all "talent show" types of reality shows...never watched a single episode of american idol, the voice, dancing with the stars etc

didnt think I would care about this show since I dont really value cardi bs opinion but we really enjoyed this shit...it was very well done, production was on point, good cameos...loved seeing jadakiss, fat joe, Nipsey.....and there were some really talented artists in this shit..i thought London B was a superstar from the moment I saw her, flawless is polished, and I'd actually cop a D smoke album
Agree with all the above. London B was sexy too.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Finished the entire season. I think it was rigged.

Spoilers:

Smoke’s brother SiR is signed to TDE. He has major ties to the industry as he has wrote for a lot of people. Plus, his mother was a major back up singer.

OK OK this makes sense now..

cause his flow delivery and whole aesthetic was TDE

and even the producer he worked with in the final was a TDE associate.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
d-smoke-inglewood-high.jpg

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
What You Should Know About D Smoke, the Winner of Netflix's Rhythm + Flow
He just released an EP!
By McKenzie Jean-Philippe
Oct 25, 2019

NETFLIX
  • The finale of Rhythm + Flowseason 1 aired on October 23, wrapping up Netflix's first music competition series.
  • Inglewood's D Smoke was the winner of the show's $250,000 grand prize.
  • The rapper has since released his first EP, "Inglewood High."
Season 1 of Netflix's Rhythm + Flow officially came to a close on October 23, as judges Cardi B, Chance the Rapper, and T.I. crowned Inglewood, California's "D Smoke" as the first-ever winner. He beat out fellow top-four contestants Flawless Real Talk, Londynn B, and Troyman.
Despite Cardi noting that the rapper's jumpsuit made him look like "a janitor," from the first episode the former Spanish and music theory high school teacher—who also attended UCLA—stood out for his poignant and reflective lyrics (“Hello, Kendrick Lamar! I have a friend for you!” Cardi B quipped in one episode) and his bilingual flow.
RELATED STORIES
Nipsey Hussle Makes a Cameo on Rhythm + Flow
Rhythm + Flow: How to Stream the Music
Will Rhythm + Flow Have a Season 2? What We Know
"When I first got to the competition in L.A. there were 30 rappers trying to battle each other backstage," he told TV Guide. "After the first time I got in front of the judges it confirmed those people would get my artistry. I knew T.I. would see my authentic presentation of Inglewood. I felt Cardi would appreciate my voice and my fluent Spanish, and Chance the Rapper would appreciate me as an out-of-the-box artist, he'd appreciate how creative an artist I could be."
Now, we can't be the only ones anticipating D Smoke's next post-win move. As we cross our fingers for a second season of Rhythm + Flow—which has earned rave reviews from both critics and Twitter alike—we looked into what the hip-hop artist is up to. Also, what are his plans for that $250,000 grand prize?
On October 24, one day after he was crowned the winner of Rhythm + Flow season 1, D Smoke dropped a brand new seven-track EP dubbed "Inglewood High."

"Coming fresh off the first season of @rhythmandflownetflix, we now present to you "INGLEWOOD HIGH" the EP, now available on all streaming platforms. This is the appetizer we just getting started!!!" he wrote in a caption of the record's cover.

He also opened up to People about what the new project means to him, explaining that as the name suggests, it serves as a recognition of his hometown.

"It takes you on a brief journey,” he said. “It’ll lead with coming up in Inglewood, going back to Inglewood. Then telling the stories of some of my students. When I talk about the street as in Inglewood, it’s really me as a teacher looking at my students and telling their misguided stories. But that’s a project I’m really proud of and I can’t wait to see how people respond to it.”

He continued, “Some of my subject matter may deal with real hood topics, but it’s never to glorify the negative element. I think that’s inspiring because it challenges other artists to tell the complete story, not just highlight the high of what is gangster rap.”

The artist also told TV Guide that he's shot three music videos since the show stopped filming and has a 15-song album mixtape in the works.

You can also listen to the songs the rapper performed on Rhythm + Flow ("Let Migo" and "Last Supper") on all streaming platforms.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
He's kept in touch with T.I. the most since Rhythm + Flow ended.

In addition to having musical collaborations with judges T.I., Chance the Rapper, and Cardi B "in the pipeline," D Smoke said that he's communicated the most with Tip since the show wrapped in March.

"I’ve been speaking pretty regularly with T.I. He’s become somewhat of a mentor, and I check in here and there with Chance by text. Cardi B and I haven’t spoken. I think she’s waiting until it airs out then she’s going to reach back out," he said.

T.I. also told Entertainment Tonight, "I let him know he has me as a resource, to tap into whenever he needs advice from this point forward. He knows that, and I'm sure Chance and Cardi feel the same way."

D Smoke already has plans for the $250,000 grand prize.
NETFLIX
During the finale, Chance the Rapper gave the season winner some wise advice on how to spend the six-figure grand prize.

"This isn't like a lot of the other contest shows," the Grammy winner said. "It's a non-contractual $250,000 that are going to you to be spent however you want it. And I just want to tell you that the best thing you can do is invest in yourself."

It seems that D Smoke is taking the words to heart, as he told TV Guide he plans to give back to his community, while also making practical moves for his future.

"I'm going to invest," he said. "I'm going to give out a couple of scholarships to young people in the community through events where we can share information about what programs are available to the kids, and then of course kids, and then of course I'm going to be investing in my craft. I also will buy a place in Inglewood."

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
Shit ain’t even fair to have DSmoke on there. I been seeing his shit before this show. That video that he played was the video I seen months ago.

I knew cuz when I seen him on the show I was like that’s the dude that be rapping in Spanish.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Shit ain’t even fair to have DSmoke on there. I been seeing his shit before this show. That video that he played was the video I seen months ago.

I knew cuz when I seen him on the show I was like that’s the dude that be rapping in Spanish.

WHAT>!>!>!>!>!>!>!>!>

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Yeah I seen dude on Instagram a while back. Some dudes I follow had tagged him on their page.

To be fair, i knew flawless before hand.

my main quarrel was although the final 4 were strong the original grouping was weak very weak.

Last edited:

Tdot_firestarta

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
OK OK this makes sense now..

cause his flow delivery and whole aesthetic was TDE

and even the producer he worked with in the final was a TDE associate.

man that's EXACTLY what I said when I found out.

throughout the competition I was like son has a strong kendrick vibe to him...not in a biting way..he seems authentic and he could def occupy that same lane...a good thing imo

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
man that's EXACTLY what I said when I found out.

throughout the competition I was like son has a strong kendrick vibe to him...not in a biting way..he seems authentic and he could def occupy that same lane...a good thing imo

co sing...

that dude is a looks like he went to Top Dawg Prep

He damn finished product

and that Spanish rapping too?

It was over before it started.

I was saying the Puerto rican kid f*cked up cause he didn't/could not rap in Spanish and he seemed a little hard headed cause he been on his independent grind so damn long he KNEW what he wanted instead of using aLL the resources provided to him.

How you=using a sample aint NO ONE able to recognize?

And not in a GOOD way?