Certified Pussy Poster

Nosferatu summons chilling first footage of vampire Bill Skarsgård​

Count Orlok is ready to receive you.
By
Nick Romano

Published on April 10, 2024 08:25PM EDT

0 seconds of 30 secondsVolume 0%

This ad will end in 7

True Blood's Bill Compton isn't the only famous "Vampire Bill" in Hollywood anymore. Enter Vampire Bill Skarsgård.

Chills ran through the CinemaCon crowd when the Focus Features panel unleashed the first footage of Nosferatu, director Robert Eggers' buzzed-about vampire horror-drama.

"As you'll see, this definitely ain't your father's Nosferatu and [Eggers will] surely bring new meaning to the term 'Christmas feast' on Dec. 25," Peter Kujawski, Chairman of Focus Features, prefaced before a clip screened for the room.

In this reimagining of the 1922 classic, Skarsgård takes another transformative role after It's Pennywise with Count Orlok, a vampire who becomes obsessed with Ellen Hutter (Lily-Rose Depp), the wife of Thomas Hutter (Nicholas Hoult).

Lily-Rose Depp stars as Ellen Hutter in director Robert Eggers' NOSFERATU

Lily-Rose Depp as Ellen Hutter in 'Nosferatu'.
2023 FOCUS FEATURES
"Come to me. Come to me, hear my call," Ellen pleads in the dark with her hands cupped in prayer, before an undead hand abruptly grabs her throat and she wakes in her bed.

Willem Dafoe plays Professor Albin Eberhart Von Franz, whom Eggers described in a previous interview with Entertainment Weekly as "a crazy vampire hunter." Ralph Ineson's Dr. Wilhelm Sievers is "in many ways the Watson to Willem Dafoe's Holmes," added the filmmaker behind The Witch (2015), The Lighthouse (2019), and The Northman (2022).

Speaking with Dafoe's hunter, Ellen confesses that her dreams have gotten darker. "Does evil come from within us or from beyond," she desperately asks him.

Nicholas Hoult stars as Thomas Hutter in director Robert Eggers' NOSFERATU

Nicholas Hoult as Thomas Hutter in 'Nosferatu'.
AIDAN MONAGHAN / 2023 FOCUS FEATURES
The film is described as a gothic tale, and the footage leans into that aesthetic with dark, wintry scenes of a Victorian city. Hordes of rats scour the streets, as the vampire's zealot declares from inside his insane asylum cell, "He is coming."

While we don't get a clear look at Skarsgård's Orlok, he's not completely lurking in the background. As Hoult's Thomas enters the vampire's estate, we see shots of a grotesque Orlok sitting naked on the floor from behind. Later, the shadow of his spindly hand reaches out across the city, visualizing his possession of the locale.

The cast also includes Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Emma Corrin as friends of the Hutters, Friedrich and Anna Harding, who are also spotted briefly in the CinemaCon footage.

Willem Dafoe stars as Professor Albin Eberhart von Franz in director Robert Eggers' NOSFERATU

Willem Dafoe as Professor Albin Eberhart von Franz in 'Nosferatu'.
AIDAN MONAGHAN / 2023 FOCUS FEATURES
When it comes to Skarsgård's performance, Eggers told EW, "Aside from his eyes, it’s hard to find Bill. I’m trying to not give too much away, but Bill totally transforms into something that is very unique." He also said the actor worked with an opera coach to lower his voice an octave, saying, "People are going to think it’s all digital tampering, but he put in the work."

Nosferatu is set to open in theaters this Dec. 25.

God-Of-War-420

Mr. Pool
I see Robert eggers I watch, The VVitch is one of my favorites, the lighthouse was excellent and the Northman was an amazing first half with a mediocre second half...but I forgive him lol

$moneyPit$

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Period piece is usually code word for "No Black People."

[unless we're enslaved]
I'll check It, only because I did enjoy the last period vampire movie Last Voyage Of The Demeter starring the cat that played Dre. I liked that depiction of Nosferatu, very savage/monster like . He wasn't dressed In a suit and cloak (spoiler alert)................................................

until the very end.

World B Free

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'll check It, only because I did enjoy the last period vampire movie Last Voyage Of The Demeter starring the cat that played Dre. I liked that depiction of Nosferatu, very savage/monster like . He wasn't dressed In a suit and cloak (spoiler alert)................................................

until the very end.
I made a comment about "no Black people," though.

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

[unless we're enslaved]
So...
If I made a film about Adam & Eve, Moses or Jesus Christ shouldn't this automatically EXCLUDE White people?
- Or if I made a film about 1001 Arabian Nights?
- Or ancient African tales of gods, warriors & heroes?
- Or ancient Japanese tales of Samurais?

Just sayin'...:dunno:

World B Free

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So...
If I made a film about Adam & Eve, Moses or Jesus Christ shouldn't this automatically EXCLUDE White people?
- Or if I made a film about 1001 Arabian Nights?
- Or ancient African tales of gods, warriors & heroes?
- Or ancient Japanese tales of Samurais?

Just sayin'...:dunno:
I don't understand your point, I'm talking about white people and their control of Hollywood & their control of the Black image. & that's why I made the comment, the idea of the "period piece" can be a way to further exclude Black folks & can easily give the reason like you did, "well, we're just being historically accurate" hence I think one of the reasons for the main reasons for these pieces so they can have basically have an almost mostly white cast. & as for the examples you gave, White people have included themselves in almost every form of those movies: white folks as Asians; white folks as Egyptians, white folks white folks as Arabs; it doesn't stop. Those movies seem to always tilt toward Whiteness when it comes to Hollywood.

Last edited:

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I don't understand your point, I'm talking about white people and their control of Hollywood & their control of the Black image. & that's why I made the comment, the idea of the "period piece" can be a way to further exclude Black folks & can easily give the reason like you did, "well, we're just being historically accurate" hence I think one of the reasons for the main reasons for these pieces so they can have basically have an almost mostly white cast. & as for the examples you gave, White people have included themselves in almost every form of those movies: white folks in the Asians; white folks as Egyptians, white folks white folks as Arabs; it doesn't stop. Those movies seem to always tilt toward Whiteness when it comes to Hollywood.
My point is that a period piece can just as easily EXCLUDE Whites too if we're being historically accurate. And depending on the story, the time frame & the geographical location, most films done correctly would exclude them.

In the case of this particular film, (Or his last film, The Northman) I personally don't care if Black or Brown people are in it, because it's a fictional story set in a time and geographic area that isn't about us. So, why would Blacks star in or feature prominently in such a film?

But a film can also be made about an African vampire or demons running amok and killing native Africans in Africa that doesn't involve White people nor any other race of people other than the local populace. The hero and the love interest would both be Black & the villain would also be Black.
Just imagine what great untold tales exist in Africa (or the Caribbean or Brazil) that have yet to be told... :eek2:

respiration

/ˌrespəˈrāSH(ə)n/
BGOL Patreon Investor

[unless we're enslaved]
Interesting perspective.

I hadn't thought about it quite that way.

But period piece meaning that it evokes a time in history, can be any time and any place in the past. "The Woman King", for example, which was set in the 1820s (which included numerous happy moments of CACs getting OFFED.) . I don't know that I'm convinced that there was any agenda in "Nosferatu" (2024) to intentionally exclude Black folks. It's set in the 1800s in Germany. I'm not sure what the demographics of us in Germany was at that time. There is a brotha listed in the cast.

There were other points you made in this thread about whites historically controlling all the narratives in Hollywood that I completely agree with you about. I've seen too many historical stories about our oppression both here and in Africa that turned into stories about random white people. And when there were no heroic whites in some of those true stories, they invented some for the movie, like Kevin Costner's fictional character in "Hidden Figures" for example.

If I had it my way, whites would never be allowed to make films telling the stories about people of color- especially Black stories.

White people have included themselves in almost every form of those movies: white folks in the Asians; white folks as Egyptians, white folks white folks as Arabs; it doesn't stop. Those movies seem to always tilt toward Whiteness when it comes to Hollywood.
Yep. I was just talking to a young sister yesterday about how white men always played the Chinese detective Charlie Chan. I showed her how they always had him speaking in broken English- in a way that even recent Chinese immigrants don't talk, in order to subtly confine him to a space where he is seen as "primitive" and beneath white folks, in spite of how wise and brilliant the character is. They used to do the same thing with the speech of Native American characters too (white men painting their skin reddish-brown) and African people.

TENT

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
My point is that a period piece can just as easily EXCLUDE Whites too if we're being historically accurate. And depending on the story, the time frame & the geographical location, most films done correctly would exclude them.

In the case of this particular film, (Or his last film, The Northman) I personally don't care if Black or Brown people are in it, because it's a fictional story set in a time and geographic area that isn't about us. So, why would Blacks star in or feature prominently in such a film?

But a film can also be made about an African vampire or demons running amok and killing native Africans in Africa that doesn't involve White people nor any other race of people other than the local populace. The hero and the love interest would both be Black & the villain would also be Black.
Just imagine what great untold tales exist in Africa (or the Caribbean or Brazil) that have yet to be told... :eek2:
Where are the Adam and Eve movies excluding whites?
Making period pieces and having these mid movies be overhyped is just another way of excluding black people from the planet.
We go watch them and get hypnotized into thinking that we should not exist on the screen.
Feed a kid cereal for breakfast and he is always gonna want cereal for breakfast.
Cereal is unhealthy and adds no value.
So keep showing these white washed movies, we will never want to see a black face on screen.

World B Free

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

First of all, I'm talking about Hollywood films. & Secondly, my point is that a lot of Hollywood period films are done so they can exclude mostly non-whites in a main character position and then it can be what you said, that they were being 'historically accurate." That's my point.

& you're making my point for me, because of course they are going to make The Northman so they can use that "historically accurate" banner to announce that to all those who claim they are were excluding non-whites.

Last edited:

World B Free

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Making period pieces and having these mid movies be overhyped is just another way of excluding black people from the planet.
We go watch them and get hypnotized into thinking that we should not exist on the screen.
Feed a kid cereal for breakfast and he is always gonna want cereal for breakfast.
So keep showing these white washed movies, we will never want to see a black face on screen.
I agree, even the The Last Samurai starred Brad Pitt and the movie about South African Revolutionary Steve Biko starred a person playing a white journalist while Denzel Washington has the supporting actor role as Steve Biko. Plus all for of the Merchant Ivory films that were period film pieces all have a mostly main character White casts, they won Oscars galore...(I hated those films from the 1980s and early 90s).

More about Merchant Ivory films for those who want to see what I'm talking about:

Last edited:

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
How bout breakfast was pushed to sell cereal. The whole eating in the morning day was a whole damn propaganda piece to push items so that corporations can make money.. the term breakfast is the most important meal of the day was literally created by the corn industry to sell corn products( cereal, etc) look it up

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I didn't say they exist. (Which I'm sure they do).
But that's the job of a great & talented film maker to create. And it's OUR job as Black audiences to demand, to support and most importantly pay to see. :yes:

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
First of all, I'm talking about Hollywood films. & Secondly, my point is that a lot of Hollywood period films are done so they can exclude mostly non-whites in a main character position and then it can be what you said, that they were being 'historically accurate." That's my point.

& you're making my point for me, because of course they are going to make The Northman so they can use that "historically accurate" banner to announce that to all those who claim they are were excluding non-whites.
Dude.
A period piece does not automatically mean, "no Blacks or people of color allowed". And again; if done correctly, a period piece can just as easily EXCLUDE White people too.
- Just this year Godzilla: Minus One (a post war period piece) was nominated and won the Academy Award for visual effects, without 1 White face in it.
- In 2001, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (a period piece) also won critical acclaim, audience appreciation and won 4 Academy Awards without White people in it.
- In 2009, Slumdog Millionaire won the Academy Award for best picture without prominently featuring White people in it.

So, yes. Historically accurate period piece films can and do exist. And very often they do not feature White people at all. :yes:

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I agree, even the The Last Samurai starred Brad Pitt and the movie about South African Revolutionary Steve Biko starred a person playing a white journalist while Denzel Washington has the supporting actor role as Steve Biko. Plus all for of the Merchant Ivory films that were period film pieces all have a mostly main character White casts, they won Oscars galore...(I hated those films from the 1980s and early 90s).

More about Merchant Ivory films for those who want to see what I'm talking about:

The Last Samurai actually starred Tom Cruise not Brad Pitt... :dunno:

World B Free

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Dude.
A period piece does not automatically mean, "no Blacks or people of color allowed". And again; if done correctly, a period piece can just as easily EXCLUDE White people too.
- Just this year Godzilla: Minus One (a post war period piece) was nominated and won the Academy Award for visual effects, without 1 White face in it.
- In 2001, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (a period piece) also won critical acclaim, audience appreciation and won 4 Academy Awards without White people in it.
- In 2009, Slumdog Millionaire won the Academy Award for best picture without prominently featuring White people in it.

So, yes. Historically accurate period piece films can and do exist. And very often they do not feature White people at all. :yes:
CptMARVEL, Slumdog Millionaire isn't a period piece....that's not I'm talking about, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was directed by Ang Lee who did most of his work in Hong Kong before making his transition to Hollywood so he drew his talent from non-Hollywood source, basically this is a Chinese-language foreign film who got some Hollywood distribution financial backing. As for Godzilla: Minus One is a Japanese film, it's NOT a Hollywood film...so that doesn't count, like I said from the beginning I'm addressing Hollywood films.

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
CptMARVEL, Slumdog Millionaire isn't a period piece....that's not I'm talking about, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was directed by Ang Lee who did most of his work in Hong Kong before making his transition to Hollywood so he drew his talent from non-Hollywood source, basically this is a Chinese-language foreign film who got some Hollywood distribution financial backing. As for Godzilla: Minus One is a Japanese film, it's NOT a Hollywood film...so that doesn't count, like I said from the beginning I'm addressing Hollywood films.
But that's the point I'm trying to make.
Period piece films don't have to exclude Blacks or other people of color. They exist outside of the Hollyweird circle but they can end up capturing the attention of Hollyweird and achieving it highest awards. Regardless of what country they are produced in... :dunno:

World B Free

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
But that's the point I'm trying to make.
Period piece films don't have to exclude Blacks or other people of color. They exist outside of the Hollyweird circle but they can end up capturing the attention of Hollyweird and achieving it highest awards. Regardless of what country they are produced in... :dunno:
Man, you've addressed nothing I've said. Your Slumdog Millionaire wasn't a period piece; Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was a basically a foreign film ~~ it was Chinese-language based with Hong Kong director Ang Lee who was slowly making his transition to Hollywood at the time & even back then Michelle Yeoh was mostly known for her Chinese-based language films. As for Godzilla: Minus One, it's a wholly Japanese film.

& you're not following what I said, from the beginning I was addressing Hollywood films only, however now you want to include non-Hollywood films. Non-Hollywood films were a part of my argument.

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Man, you've addressed nothing I've said. Your Slumdog Millionaire wasn't a period piece; Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was a basically a foreign film ~~ it was Chinese-language based with Hong Kong director Ang Lee who was slowly making his transition to Hollywood at the time & even back then Michelle Yeoh was mostly known for her Chinese-based language films. As for Godzilla: Minus One, it's a wholly Japanese film.

& you're not following what I said, from the beginning I was addressing Hollywood films only, however now you want to include non-Hollywood films. Non-Hollywood films were a part of my argument.
No, pal.
Your original point was; "Period piece is usually code word for "No Black People"".
At NO point in that post did you say anything about or limiting it to just films only from Hollywood. So, naturally, I specifically addressed your statement as such. But I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree... :dunno:

respiration

/ˌrespəˈrāSH(ə)n/
BGOL Patreon Investor

After I made my post pointing out that there was a Black cast member in "Nosferatu", I noticed that you moved the goalposts in your original assertion to say "non-whites in a main character position" Fair enough. And again on most of your other points, I still agree with you.

I'd have to disagree with you that there's some codified usage by whites of period pieces with the specified intent of excluding Black folks from having roles in movies. I see no evidence to support that particular theory.

By and large most white made period pieces are about them. Most Black made period pieces are about us, etc.

The difference is we are not in charge in Hollywood. The only Black owned studio (in Atlanta), is lorded over by a brotha who only uses it to produce his own projects.

Not denying the existence of racist casting. I'm saying racism in Hollywood is more broad than that. Whites run Hollywood, just as they run America. In Hollywood, just as in America, whites consider themselves first and foremost above all others and that white supremacy reflects overall in what they greenlight, in what they write and produce, in their inclusion of non-white people, in their exclusion of non-white people, in the ways they depict non-white people and in the ways they depict whites relative to people of color in the same films.

What comes out is largely a reflection of that. Woody Allen made movies (that were not period pieces) for decades about New York City and barely included any people of color in them, never mind that whites comprise only 31% of the population. "Friends", also set in New York, barely had any people of color, same with "Seinfeld".

World B Free

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
CptMARVEL, I did clarify what I said these in these two posts, did you even read what I had written. Reading comprehension is important.

Here it is:

53816522628_f6c3e3731a_b.jpg

53816522633_df047d586f_b.jpg

World B Free

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
After I made my post pointing out that there was a Black cast member in "Nosferatu", I noticed that you moved the goalposts in your original assertion to say "non-whites in a main character position" Fair enough. And again on most of your other points, I still agree with you.

I'd have to disagree with you that there's some codified usage by whites of period pieces with the specified intent of excluding Black folks from having roles in movies. I see no evidence to support that particular theory.

By and large most white made period pieces are about them. Most Black made period pieces are about us, etc.

The difference is we are not in charge in Hollywood. The only Black owned studio (in Atlanta), is lorded over by a brotha who only uses it to produce his own projects.

Not denying the existence of racist casting. I'm saying racism in Hollywood is more broad than that. Whites run Hollywood, just as they run America. In Hollywood, just as in America, whites consider themselves first and foremost above all others and that white supremacy reflects overall in what they greenlight, in what they write and produce, in their inclusion of non-white people, in their exclusion of non-white people, in the ways they depict non-white people and in the ways they depict whites relative to people of color in the same films.

What comes out is largely a reflection of that. Woody Allen made movies (that were not period pieces) for decades about New York City and barely included any people of color in them, never mind that whites comprise only 31% of the population. "Friends", also set in New York, barely had any people of color, same with "Seinfeld".
I didn't move the goalposts at all, for example The Last Samurai starred Tom Cruise, he was in the main character position, because you could not make this film without the Japanese non-main characters being in the film as the auxiliary characters. How is that moving the goal posts? I also gave the example of the film Cry Freedom, the main character was a white person who played a journalist while the supporting character as Steve Biko starred Denzel Washington, & of course they needed non-main character Black people in a country such as South Africa.