NY: MTA board votes to keep Metrocard base fare, reduce rider bonus Month Pass is now $121

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
NEW YORK - The MTA board voted Wednesday to keep the base fare for subways and buses at $2.75 for the next two years, but the accompanying purchase bonus will decrease.

MTA CEO Thomas Prendergast says the hikes help meet budget needs without being too burdensome on riders, but critics say the MTA continues to increase fares without improving service.

Board members approved increases that keep the base fare for subways and buses at $2.75 and to keep a pay-per-ride bonus, making the effective fare with the bonus $2.62.

The 7-Day Unlimited Ride MetroCard, which is heavily used by lower-income and frequent riders, will increase by only a dollar to $32; the 30-day Unlimited Ride MetroCard will increase from $116.50 to $121.

The Single Ride Ticket remains at $3. The cash fare for Express Buses remains at $6.50, making the effective fare with the bonus $6.19.

Tolls at bridges and tunnels will also increase.

The new fares will take effect March 19.

http://brooklyn.news12.com/news/mta-board-votes-to-keep-base-fare-reduce-rider-bonus-1.13014146

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
sad day when nigs celebrate the fact that the fare of a single ride dosen't increase and the week pass only goes up by a dollar

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
does not know the trick myself.. i know 1 of my boys know how to do the shit

I lost my dude who used to...

(man hold on we in Trump America, filter ON)

I heard ALLEGED stories of such nefarious actions in the past...I' sure they were ALL fictitious.

When I previously stated I "cop" one I was unfamiliar with the urban slang term, I meant I would call a COP if I EVER caught an individual involved in such nefarious activity. And wanted a private message so that we would not corrupt the good folk of bgol

have a good day sir

be safe though.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I believe the governor can nominate someone for the MTA board. But the MTA is the technically a private company. It's certainly complicated. Hence why that revamp hasn't happened

^^^

that is such a fascinating a CONVOLUTED agency that seems NO ONE has been able to tackle.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I got 3 vertical bends and a horizontal bend?
each card is diff you suppose to make a slight bend near a certain letter or number.. 1 of my boys use to be nice with it.. in fact i remember yrsss ago there was nigs that use to pick up old metrocards from the floor or open up metrocard diposable boxes and take out all the old metrocards and make a killing off the dollar/2 dollar swipes for people..nigs use to make several hundred a day each morning during rush hr..that's 1 of the real reasons they wanted to start charging people for getting new metrocards in the mta to keep less disposable cards out of them swipers hand..early 2000 them swipers use to make even more money doin dollar swipes and it was a lot of young black kids getting money off of it.so of course they crack down hard on it

Z MONSTER

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I lost my dude who used to...

(man hold on we in Trump America, filter ON)

I heard ALLEGED stories of such nefarious actions in the past...I' sure they were ALL fictitious.

When I previously stated I "cop" one I was unfamiliar with the urban slang term, I meant I would call a COP if I EVER caught an individual involved in such nefarious activity. And wanted a private message so that we would not corrupt the good folk of bgol

have a good day sir

be safe though.
:lol: You talking like Proposition Joe
propjoe.jpg

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
MTA's MetroCard fare hikes will go into effect this weekend

The price of a single ride will remain the same but everything else is going up
BY AMEENA WALKER MAR 15, 2017, 3:23PM EDT TWEET

16092807245_533a64f14f_o.0.jpg
Curbed Flickr Pool/Yacob Charnevich
The MTA’s new MetroCard prices will go into effect on Sunday, March 19th. Though the fare for a single ride will remain $2.75, weekly and monthly MetroCards will both see increases.

At a board meeting held back in January, the agency voted against a plan that would have increased the single ride fare to $3 but give purchasers a 16 percent bonus on $6 and up MetroCard purchases. Instead, the agency opted for a plan that will allow single ride fares to remain the same, however, the bonus with a $5.50 MetroCard purchase will decrease from its current rate of 11 percent down to five percent.

Under the hike, a weekly MetroCard will increase from $31 to $32; the monthly pass increase from $116.50 to $121; and the 7-Day Express Bus Plus MetroCard will rise from $57.25 to $59.50.

The MTA recently reported a decline in subway ridership for the first time since 2009, blaming things like overcrowded trains, service outages, and competition from ride-sharing apps as the reason for the dip. The agency plans to invest $4 billion towards modernizing the dated signal system, however, with Governor Cuomo recently slashing $65 million from the MTA’s budget, who knows when the project will be completed.

http://ny.curbed.com/2017/3/15/14937536/nyc-subway-metrocard-fare-hike-mta

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
MTA fare hikes loom as board approves $17B budget
Planned increases could be avoided if the state institutes new revenue sources.

image.jpg

Subway and bus fare hikes in 2019 seem likely, although there is still time for Gov. Andrew Cuomo and state lawmakers to step in. Photo Credit: Jeff Bachner

By Vincent Baronevin.barone@amny.com @vinbaroneUpdated December 12, 2018 5:07 PM
By clicking Sign up, you agree to our privacy policy.

Board member Veronica Vanterpool and others criticized the MTA’s budget process for that very reason. The MTA’s fiscal year is not aligned with either the state’s or the city’s, meaning that the MTA board has to approve a budget based on assumptions, without knowing what, if any, new money could come from lawmakers’ actions.

If the MTA board decided not to implement fare hikes and wait for Albany, the MTA would lose roughly up to $30 million each month until that revenue is actualized.

“We are not doing enough as a collective body to push harder to reform the operating practices and polices and actions of this agency. We still have so many outstanding issues — fare evasion, cost containment, procurement reform — and yet we are still faced with this critical decision” to approve a budget, said Vanterpool, who has submitted a resolution to change the fiscal year of the MTA to more closely align with the state and city.

On cost reforms, Saul couldn't fathom why the Metro-North and Long Island Rail Road hadn't been consolidated into one entity. Others expressed interest in finding cuts through labor efficiencies and MTA's means of bidding out projects.

The lengthy debate on the budget was cut short when Larry Schwartz, the board member who heads the Finance Committee, called for a vote. He teared up as he explained that he was late for a medical procedure, but promised to spearhead a change to the status quo at the authority. The board approved the budget, with Vanterpool and fellow board member Carl Weisbrod abstaining.

To outsiders, the fare and toll hikes appear likely, while substantive change at the MTA seems less so.

“Without actually using the leverage of the vote I don’t think much of what they said will go anywhere,” said Nicole Gelinas, of the Manhattan Institute. “[Members of the board] say ‘this is unsustainable.’ But then they still approve the budget and this is the only real leverage that they have, but they don’t use it.”

Gelinas said the board has not had meaningful conversations on cost reforms, pointing to rising labor costs, specifically. She accepted the necessity of the hike for 2019 and said new revenue sources should be directed toward capital, not operating expenses.

“The big open question is, does the governor swoop in to try to issue a new revenue source to avoid the fare hike?” She said. “But I think that would actually be a bad thing, because that new revenue would go to ever growing operating costs and not toward a better subway system”