Movie News: Paramount Has Canceled 'Star Trek 4,' And Disney's 'Star Wars' Is To Blame UPDATE: WTF?!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Paramount Has Canceled 'Star Trek 4,' And Disney's 'Star Wars' Is To Blame

To the surprise of absolutely no one paying attention, Paramount/Viacom has discreetly pulled the plug on the fourth chapter in their rebooted Star Trek movie franchise. This tidbit was buried

in a Deadline article about the new Game of Thrones prequel spin-off, as the pilot episode is to be helmed by SJ Clarkson. Clarkson was set to direct the sequel to Star Trek Beyond, and her attachment to the HBO fantasy prequel series is tied to Paramount pulling the plug on the sci-fi sequel. So, barring a reemergence or a change of heart, Bad Robot’s rebooted Star Trek franchise is no more. And, truth be told, 'twas Star Wars that killed the Star Trek.

As you recall, Paramount and friends put the kibosh on the Star Trek feature franchise after the disastrous performance of Star Trek: Nemesis in December 2002. Facing off against The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, the poorly-reviewed Patrick Stewart/Tom Hardy sci-fi actioner opened with just $18.5m (below Maid in Manhattan which opened to $18.7m on that same weekend) and flamed out to just $43m domestic and became my go-to example of unusually awful December legs. It earned $67 worldwide on a $60m budget, while the Jennifer Lopez/Ralph Fiennes flick earned $155m worldwide on a $55m budget. Yes, romantic comedies that cost $55m used to both exist in theaters and be smart investments.

Anyway, the Next Generation cast was put out to pasture and, seven years later, we got J.J. Abrams’ rebooted Star Trek. In a clever use of time travel and alternate timelines that allowed the movie to rewrite history without invalidating the previous 43 years of TV shows and movies, Star Trek cast a motley crew of younger actors (Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, John Cho, Simon Pegg and Anton Yelchin) to offer new variations of the original Enterprise crew. The action-packed and mega-budget ($150 million) sci-fi adventure received rave prerelease reviews and, thanks to the reviews and some terrific trailers, the film snagged a stunning $79.5m debut weekend (counting Thursday previews).

It was an unapologetic crowd-pleaser, offering the kind of zippy and quippy mix of nerdy sci-fi and blockbuster swashbuckling that folks had arguably wanted from the Star Wars prequels (and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull). It legged its way to $256 million domestic, but overseas interest was not as strong. The film earned $385m worldwide, not a great number for a $150m-budgeted flick, but A) it was following the Batman Begins template and B) Paramount was doing just fine thanks to the Marvel Cinematic Universe (remember, they released Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Thor and Captain America before Disney took over), the DreamWorks Animation flicks and the Transformers franchise.

From around 2006 to 2011, they were what Disney is today, except without the total market share domination since audiences still showed up for both The Proposal and X-Men Origins: Wolverine in the summer of 2009. But Disney bought Marvel for $4 billion in September of 2009, and Paramount would sell off their distribution rights to their MCU franchises for just $115 million in 2011. Disney bought Lucasfilm for $4b in October of 2012, and yes Paramount eventually sold Disney the rights to future Indiana Jones movies in late 2013. But put a pin in that for a moment, because Star Trek Into Darkness, which brought in Benedict Cumberbatch as John Harrison Khan was supposed to be a breakout sequel on par with The Dark Knight. But four years later, audiences were more excited about Marvel’s post-Avengers movies and whatever Warner Bros. was up to with Man of Steel.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fscottmendelson%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F05%2Fstar-trek-beyond-ff_justinlin-kirk_2-1200x798.jpg

Star Trek Into Darkness earned solid reviews but the kind of divisive online fan reaction that skews the narrative. It earned $229 million from an $83m Thurs-Sun debut (which was leggy enough) and $467m worldwide, mostly thanks to a 3-D conversion this time out. But the big problem was just around the corner, as Disney had begun work on new Star Wars movie, specifically what would become Star Wars: The Force Awakens. In between Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness, Paramount would also “lose” DreamWorks Animation to Fox (it’s now over at Comcast) and would lose the MCU to Walt Disney (even as they made money on The Avengers and Iron Man 3).

The biggest problem would be that new Star Wars movie. The Force Awakens (also directed by J.J. Abrams) opened in December of 2015 to rave reviews, a record $248 million domestic and $525m worldwide debut and eventually legged it to $937m domestic/$2 billion worldwide. To the extent that the new Star Trek movies were filling a hole left by the divisively-received Star Wars prequels (and the lack of Matrix or Lord of the Rings-type franchises), the return of the genuine article negated the need for new Star Trek movies that could approximate Star Trek-level sci-fi wonkery with Star Wars-worthy blockbuster thrills. Slight digression, but it also didn’t help that high-end TV could now approximate theater-worthy spectacle.

By the time Justin Lin’s Star Trek Beyond entered theaters in the summer of 2016 with strong reviews and fan approval, the key trump cards (Star Trek movies that played like Star Wars movies, the relative paucity of blockbusters on the scale of Star Trek into Darkness, the inability of TV sci-fi to offer comparative action and spectacle) were off the table. Star Trek Beyond was no longer remotely special, as either a big-budget blockbuster fantasy action franchise among many (a problem that befell many big movies in the summer of Warcraft, Independence Day: Resurgence and Ghostbusters) or as a Star Trek movie that was on the same playing field as Star Wars.

Once Star Wars rode back into town, there was no reason for general audiences to get excited about another “new” Star Trek movie. Just as Star Trek Nemesis paled in comparison to the Star Wars prequels, the Harry Potter flicks, Spider-Man and Lord of the Rings, so too does Star Trek no longer play as an event movie alongside The Last Jedi, Avengers: Infinity War and Aquaman. But to the extent that Star Trek provided “the next best thing to Star Wars” in 2009, a follow-up to the $338 million-grossing Star Trek Beyond would be saddled with its existence both as damaged goods and merely a giant among giants, smaller than Fate of the Furious, The Last Jedi and Avengers: Endgame.

As of now, Star Trek Discovery is apparently delivering action-packed Star Trek-worthy thrills on CBS All Access while Seth MacFarlane’s The Orville is going the topical sci-fi and talk > action interstellar adventure route over at Fox. Not only is the Bad Robot Star Trek franchise not the only (or biggest) Star Wars-type series in town, it’s not even the only major Star Trek option for fans and general consumers. And with Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth apparently refusing a pay cut (from contracts foolishly negotiated before Star Trek Beyond opened), Paramount had little choice but to walk away from a movie likely to cost as much as Transformers but earn about as much as Bumblebee.

gdatruth

A Man Apart
Certified Pussy Poster
i've like every flick in the reboot to date and enjoyed the last one
they did a great job with the cast and capturing the feel of the old series

if they made 4 i would've been there opening weekend
i guess the problem I would be there but with other franchise flicks I am there with the wife & kids (they aint checking for star trek)

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It's amazing, it's it?
Who'd have ever believed that in 2019, the 2 biggest scifi franchises in history are now both at all time lows among fans. (Star Wars and Star Trek). :eek2:
It's also interesting to note that when these franchises took a more SJW/Progressive/Feminist/Liberal approach to their subject matter, ALL of them fell off in box office numbers, ratings and fan approval.
- Star Wars. (The Last Jedi)
- Star Trek. (Star Trek: Beyond with a gay Sulu and Star Trek: Discovery in general)
- Dr. Who. (Female Doctor)

Let's see if this trend spreads to Disney/Marvel with this upcoming film:
MV5BMTE0YWFmOTMtYTU2ZS00ZTIxLWE3OTEtYTNiYzBkZjViZThiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODMzMzQ4OTI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

:idea:

There is a new tag line floating around online these days in regard to scifi: "Once you go "Woke", you go Broke..."
We'll just have to wait and see, I guess...:dunno:

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It's amazing, it's it?
Who'd have ever believed that in 2019, the 2 biggest scifi franchises in history are now both at all time lows among fans. (Star Wars and Star Trek). :eek2:
It's also interesting to note that when these franchises took a more SJW/Progressive/Feminist/Liberal approach to their subject matter, ALL of them fell off in box office numbers, ratings and fan approval.
- Star Trek. (Star Trek: Beyond with a gay Sulu and Star Trek: Discovery in general)

MV5BMTE0YWFmOTMtYTU2ZS00ZTIxLWE3OTEtYTNiYzBkZjViZThiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODMzMzQ4OTI@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

There is a new tag line floating around online these days in regard to scifi: "Once you go "Woke", you go Broke..."

I wish people would stop saying this.

ALIEN, ALIENS, TERMINATOR,T2, WONDERWOMAN, AVATAR,THE FORCE AWAKENS, BLADE, BLADE 2, BLACK PANTHER. All these movies went against the grain in casting,yet were well written and directed. The result is they were hit movies (although I hated Force Awakens). When they got lazy and brought shitty writing and directing (Blade 3, every Alien movie after 2, The Last Jedi, Justice League, every movie after T2) the movies did poorly.

As far as I know, Discovery is doing well, I mean CBS was willing to gamble with the casting to sell their subscription service.

People keep equating "SJW" (I hate this term becomes it it screams white nationalist bullshit mentality in my opinion), with bringing down these movies, when that is not the case.

Sulu had one scene with his man, it was a throw away shot that if removed wouldn't have saved the movie. The biggest complaint with the Star Trek reboots were that they do not come off as real star trek movies. This complaint was before the Sulu thing. However, my argument was three fold. 1. they made the same movie, three times. Khan could have been the villain in the first, NEO could have been the villain in the second, Idris could have been the villain in any of them. 2. Abrams fucked up by basically redoing Wrath of Khan and lying about it. 3. Abrams is overrated as a director.

The Last Jedi they totally fucked up Luke Skywalker and we don't really get a true understanding why. His father was the most powerful villain in the universe next to the emperor. He spends the entire third movie (Return of the Jedi) trying to save the man who was responsible for killing off his mom (indirectly), uncle, aunt, mentor, while at the same time tortures his girlfriend/sister (joke) and kills millions of people. Yet, he still sees the good in him. Meanwhile, he has one bad dream about his nephew and all of a sudden he he wants to murder this "monster" in his sleep. The shit made no sense. Yes you can argue with how did Rey become a sword expert. The problem is with the writing, not her gender.

I stopped watching Dr. Who a long time ago. So I can't speak on it. It's been on awhile. It maybe time to give it rest.

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
'Star Wars' Is To Blame
:bullshit:

Trek 2 - 4 faced Empire Strikes Back, RoTJ, Aliens etc

The real problem is incompetence / bad business - they structured the star contracts in Star Trek for big paydays after 3 -
3 performed soft for various reasons including marketing but they still signed Hemsworth his full quote for 4.... before securing financing for the film

The money people wanted to reduce their risk and asked for lower pay across cast, for whatever reason they couldn't find away to get the stars on board with that

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
Next film series should be a remake of The Next Generation characters.

Basically get new actors to play Picard, Riker, Troi, Dara, LeForge, Worf, etc...

BigDaddyBuk

still not dizzy.
Platinum Member
It's amazing, it's it?

you sound like an old white man.

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
At least Discovery is dope
no its complete shit
ggllafevyh3pbmzhapjx.png

and its losing money fast
Trekkies hate it and CBS can't get effective distribution of it - CBS stream is difficult to get in most parts of the world including half of North America
the show is being pirated more than streamed =the bad thing is pirates don't fuck with the show either so viewers could wait weeks to see an episode that just streamed

eagle force

Rising Star
Platinum Member
to me this star trek reboot had poor casting

never liked chris pine as kirk
zachary quinto spock was like a block of wood.
i like benedict cumberbatch as dr strange but he sucked as khan
idris elba's krall character sucked in beyond

CptMARVEL

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

ALIEN, ALIENS, TERMINATOR,T2, WONDERWOMAN, AVATAR,THE FORCE AWAKENS, BLADE, BLADE 2, BLACK PANTHER. All these movies went against the grain in casting,yet were well written and directed. The result is they were hit movies (although I hated Force Awakens). When they got lazy and brought shitty writing and directing (Blade 3, every Alien movie after 2, The Last Jedi, Justice League, every movie after T2) the movies did poorly.

As far as I know, Discovery is doing well, I mean CBS was willing to gamble with the casting to sell their subscription service.

People keep equating "SJW" (I hate this term becomes it it screams white nationalist bullshit mentality in my opinion), with bringing down these movies, when that is not the case.

Sulu had one scene with his man, it was a throw away shot that if removed wouldn't have saved the movie. The biggest complaint with the Star Trek reboots were that they do not come off as real star trek movies. This complaint was before the Sulu thing. However, my argument was three fold. 1. they made the same movie, three times. Khan could have been the villain in the first, NEO could have been the villain in the second, Idris could have been the villain in any of them. 2. Abrams fucked up by basically redoing Wrath of Khan and lying about it. 3. Abrams is overrated as a director.

The Last Jedi they totally fucked up Luke Skywalker and we don't really get a true understanding why. His father was the most powerful villain in the universe next to the emperor. He spends the entire third movie (Return of the Jedi) trying to save the man who was responsible for killing off his mom (indirectly), uncle, aunt, mentor, while at the same time tortures his girlfriend/sister (joke) and kills millions of people. Yet, he still sees the good in him. Meanwhile, he has one bad dream about his nephew and all of a sudden he he wants to murder this "monster" in his sleep. The shit made no sense. Yes you can argue with how did Rey become a sword expert. The problem is with the writing, not her gender.

I stopped watching Dr. Who a long time ago. So I can't speak on it. It's been on awhile. It maybe time to give it rest.

I hear you my friend. I really do...

But the numbers don't lie. Nor do the fans response...:dunno:
You cited a small number of movies with female leads/heroes and films with Black leads/heroes.
Great. :D

However, my point was NOT to say that audiences are incapable of wanting, enjoying and even celebrating these types of films.
My point was to say; once these films becomes more about injecting a political agenda or identity politics as opposed to telling (or continuing to tell) a great story, the audience tends to reject it and tune out.
(Just look at the ongoing YouTube fan backlash for The Last Jedi and Solo. ). :eek2:

Even you, yourself made observations about the shitty direction Star Wars has gone as a result of the lazy writing. Lazy writing that has also heavily promoted an SJW mindset. :smh:

Deny it if you will, but do the research my man, again, the numbers don't lie.... :dunno:

Last edited:

COINTELPRO

Transnational Member
Registered
Another Star Trek movie stealing content, defaming my character, definitely would have brought a lawsuit.

"THE MAN"

Resident Cool Nerd
BGOL Investor

You cited a small number of movies with female leads/heroes and films with Black leads/heroes.

However, my point was NOT to say that audiences are incapable of wanting, enjoying and even celebrating these types of films.
My point was to say; once these films becomes more about injecting a political agenda or identity politics as opposed to telling (or continuing to tell) a great story, the audience tends to reject it and tune out.
(Just look at the ongoing YouTube fan backlash for The Last Jedi and Solo. ). :eek2:

Even you, yourself made observations about the shitty direction Star Wars has gone as a result of the lazy writing. Lazy writing that has also heavily promoted an SJW mindset. :smh:

Deny it if you will, but do the research my man, again, the numbers don't lie.... :dunno:
You gotta admit though that some of that is loud white men feeling like they are losing it all just because they can't be in control of everything. Diversity feels like oppression to them because they are whiny bitches. Now there are some mistakes being made trying to push agendas I will give you that. But its just the scapegoat being used for other issues with the writing.
My wife and I were watching Force Awakens the other day. She said "so how did Finn break through his training again?" Just told her it doesn't even fuckin matter after TLJ. Same for Rey. Just happens to be a women pushed to be the most powerful Jedi for no reason other than bad writing. Shit would still be terrible if Rey was a white man.

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Can you honestly tell me the last jedi would have been good if every major character was white and male (same script and direction)?

You ignored my point about star trek. How did one shot of Sulu hugging a guy bring down the entire film? would the film had been any better if that one shot wasn't in there?

would it be any better for Rey to be a man and still be a great sword fighter with no training?

Would Solo had been any better if the the stupid robot sexual thing had not been written into the movie (and everything else was exactly the same)? For the record, I enjoyed Solo except for the Robot sexual thing with Lando. The robot character herself was cool (to me she was just as funny as the assassin robot in Rogue One).

Did the original trilogy follow a SJW mindset by having Leia the centerpiece of the rebellion?

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
You gotta admit though that some of that is loud white men feeling like they are losing it all just because they can't be in control of everything. Diversity feels like oppression to them because they are whiny bitches. Now there are some mistakes being made trying to push agendas I will give you that. But its just the scapegoat being used for other issues with the writing.
My wife and I were watching Force Awakens the other day. She said "so how did Finn break through his training again?" Just told her it doesn't even fuckin matter after TLJ. Same for Rey. Just happens to be a women pushed to be the most powerful Jedi for no reason other than bad writing. Shit would still be terrible if Rey was a white man.
avengers-infinity-war-black-panther-get-this-man-a-shield-animated-gif.gif

BigDaddyBuk

still not dizzy.
Platinum Member
If you insist... o_O
I do seem to get that a lot around here, from people who disagree or dislike me because of my POV... :dunno:
Oh, well. Moving along...
in this case you sound like an ACTUAL OLD WHITE MAN, Alex Parker.

when you start saying the same thing they are' you seriously need to check yourself.

diverse casts make more money than homogeneous casts. thats a fact. you named movies that had damning faults in areas not associated with casting, and yet you ignore tho success of movies like The Fast and the Furious, The Black Panther, Get Out and Hidden Colors.

and while youre naming Star Wars as an example, episodes 7 and 8 are two of the most successful movies in history. apparently there are some fans who dont think its at an all time low.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
no its complete shit
ggllafevyh3pbmzhapjx.png

and its losing money fast
Trekkies hate it and CBS can't get effective distribution of it - CBS stream is difficult to get in most parts of the world including half of North America
the show is being pirated more than streamed =the bad thing is pirates don't fuck with the show either so viewers could wait weeks to see an episode that just streamed

the media SWEARS its a SUCCESS...

'Star Trek: Discovery' Is Most Popular Streaming Show in the US, UK According to Report

By JAMIE LOVETT - June 27, 2018

• Star Trek: Discovery on CBS All Access was the most popular show on any streaming platform by a wide margin for every week that it has been on the in 2018, which covers a period from January through early March.

This assertion is based on Parrot Analytics’ study of “demand expressions,” which incorporates several metrics including ratings from fans and critics, social media data, and peer-to-peer and streaming content data.

The success of Star Trek: Discovery seems to have CBS feeling confident about Star Trek's future, enough so to sign series co-creator and now showrunner Alex Kurtzman to a five-year deal to expand the Star Trek television franchise.

“There is a very short list of writer-producer-directors that every film and television studio wants to be associated with, and Alex and his Secret Hideout team are always at the top,” said David Stapf, President, CBS Television Studios, in a press release when Kurtzman's deal was announced. “His talent, taste and ability to shepherd a successful project is unparalleled. Alex has done remarkable work for our Studio, dating back seven years to the launch of Hawaii Five-0, and we are thrilled that he, Heather and their team will be partnering with us for a long time to come.”

“Heather, Aaron and I are thrilled to continue Secret Hideout’s amazing partnership with CBS Television Studios,” said Kurtzman. “Since our first collaboration with Hawaii Five-0 almost a decade ago, Les, David and the full team at CBS Studios have been our foremost collaborators and champions, treating each project with integrity, supporting the creative visions and working breathlessly to make each episode of every show the best it can be. CBS has also allowed us the great pleasure of reintroducing the world of Star Trek audiences new and old, and we are very excited to keep working alongside them to expand that world.”

There are rumored to be as many as four Star Trek television projects already being considered for development. Here are the Star Trek shows we most want to see.

CBS All Access in the United States, through CraveTV in Canada, and through Netflix in other international markets. Star Trek: Discovery Season Two is now filming in

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Star Trek: Discovery's Budget Reportedly Paid For By Netflix, Not CBS
ADVERTISING

Netflix reportedly paid more than 100 percent of the cost of Star Trek: Discovery in order to obtain the rights to distribute the series internationally. If this report is accurate, the show made a profit for CBS before it even aired on CBS All Access in the United States.

Star Trek: Discovery was initially seen as something of a gamble for CBS. Although CBS launched All Access in 2014, it had typically been used to release reruns of popular shows. Discovery marked the beginning of a whole new strategy, the first original content released on the streaming service. It proved to be a tremendous success; although high rates of piracy were reported, CBS confirmed it had generated record subscriptions.

Related: Every Trailer Released At NYCC 2018 - Including Star Trek: Discovery

According to Variety, the average episode of Star Trek: Discovery costs upwards of $8 million to produce. However, the latest report from REDEF suggests that CBS played a smart move in order to finance it. Given the CBS All Access app is only available in the United States, they struck a deal with Netflix in order to distribute Discovery internationally. As REDEF explains, "For example, Netflix is believed to cover more than 100% of the cost of CBS All Access’s Star Trek: Discovery for the exclusive rights to the series in most non-US markets."

ADVERTISING

Competition seems to have been fierce for Star Trek: Discovery, and REDEF notes that as a result, Netflix is believed to have virtually no control over the show's creative or budgetary decisions. What's more, they may have been forced to buy it for as many as five seasons, irrespective of whether or not the series performs well on their service or not.

It's important to understand that this kind of co-licensing deal actually means that Netflix is stronger overseas than in the United States. While the US market is intensely competitive in terms of streaming services, there are many markets where Netflix is one of only two or three competitors. In most markets, for example, Netflix’s also offers Star Trek, American Crime Story, Better Call Saul, Fargo and The Walking Dead - in addition to Netflix-developed series like Stranger Things and The Crown. These co-licensed shows are even marketed overseas as Netflix Originals. All this explains why Netflix signed up to such an expensive deal.

ADVERTISING
For CBS, of course, the Netflix deal means that Star Trek: Discovery was never a risk in the first place. The series had paid for itself before a single episode aired. This probably explains why CBS was willing to proceed with what was generally seen as an experimental approach for the network.

ViCiouS

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
the media SWEARS its a SUCCESS...
"strategic marketing"
yeah - blogs frequently spin promote shit to keep inside access
look at how many were pushing Apocalypse and Phoenix for Fox
example
blog: Inside CBS All Access' Streaming Success Story, One Year Later
vs
newspaper: CBS All Access: Is it worth it to subscribe?
CBS All Access is too expensive
anywayhere is the buzz on Trek on TV http://www.nscreenmedia.com/cbs-all-access-star-trek-discovery-growth-slows/

Quek9

K9
BGOL Investor
It's amazing, it's it?

Have a fag character is being woke now? Nigga?

man-machine

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

I agree. The rebooted Star Trek had no brain. Hollywood is just fuckin Lazy. They Spend Millions on special effects to WOW the eye and Dazzle the ear but there is no substance. The Discovery TV series is slightly better but the best sci-fi always has a brain. Especially Star Trek. IMHO the rebooted Star Trek movies never should have happened. Why is a show that is supposed to be about the future Stuck in its past?

COINTELPRO

Transnational Member
Registered
It is just too dangerous to make space movies, the Russian actor died in some freak 'accident'

Anton-Yelchin-Star-Trek-Pavel-Chekov.jpg

blackbull1970

The Black Bastard
Platinum Member
Netflix is footing the bill for the Star Trek series on CBS.

And we can’t view it on Netflix.

Makes no sense. We should be seeing the episodes after the season ends like other TV series on Netflix