Pass/Fail: Boston unveils new sculpture honoring Martin Luther King and Coretta Scott King

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

230112-the-embrace-ew-130p-954523.jpg
230112-martin-luther-king-jr-coretta-ew-140p-7b61e4.jpg

Last edited:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
In recent years, several civil rights monuments and statues have been vandalized, including a George Floyd statue in New York City last October and a memorial dedicated to Emmett Till in Mississippi, which was replaced with a bulletproof version in 2019 after being repeatedly vandalized for years. Thomas said while vandalism happens all the time to public art, he has not thought about someone possibly damaging this sculpture. “So maybe I’m being naive, but I kind of hope that the spirit of it, which is pretty much universal, is something that will keep people from wanting to harm it,” he said.

Jumbodicc

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Does Boston have a Bill Russell statue? This is not a good way commemorate the legacy of Dr. King and his family.

dade305

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Riiiight....(skeptical face)
Noses too wide to be sculpted and put on display in public in Boston, huh?
Mofos think they slick...

How would anyone identify that as Martin and Coretta without reading the plaque?

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
In recent years, several civil rights monuments and statues have been vandalized, including a George Floyd statue in New York City last October and a memorial dedicated to Emmett Till in Mississippi, which was replaced with a bulletproof version in 2019 after being repeatedly vandalized for years. Thomas said while vandalism happens all the time to public art, he has not thought about someone possibly damaging this sculpture. “So maybe I’m being naive, but I kind of hope that the spirit of it, which is pretty much universal, is something that will keep people from wanting to harm it,” he said.

He don't know boston

illdog

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Hmmp...fitting that maybe the most covertly/overtly racist city in the u.s...gives some kinda weird twisted tribute to one of our most important leaders and his wife.

bgbtylvr

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Without seeing the pic you won’t get the context. But after seeing the pic I think is dope.

trstar

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Art is so subjective I’m surprised any public installations gets approved. I remember when the Joe Louis “Fist” was introduced in Detroit. Talk about outrage. To many Louis represented more than just a disembodied fist.

dik cashmere

Freaky Tah gettin high that's my brother
BGOL Investor

#shot97

fuck them as a staff, a label and a muthafuckin crew

it doesn’t surprise me that Rosenberg likes the statue

I’m just wondering if he would feel the same way if they depicted his precious rabbi that they still believe is coming back to life with the same enthusiasm

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
Two things can be right at the same time.

I agree with Ebro and Rosenberg.

The more I see it, I like the statue, however at the same time, it would have been nice to actually see the Black faces the embrace belongs to.

I'm all about messaging. The minute you have to explain your message, you failed at delivering it.

The statue, as it stands is beautiful, but it will be lost on those who aren't familiar with the picture.

Yet at the same time, it's never a bad thing when art leads to discussion and if people learn why the embrace happened (Dr. King receiving the news of his Nobel Peace Prize win) then it's not a bad thing....

kurchat00

wannabe star
Registered
The "Embrace" sculpture definitely sparks a lot of conversation. While it's meant to be symbolic of a powerful moment, I understand why some feel disconnected from the abstract representation. Art is always subjective, and public sculptures often face criticism for not being straightforward. In this case, I think the message behind it is powerful, but I agree that it would have been more impactful to include the faces of Dr. King and Coretta Scott King. That said, I hope it will still serve as a meaningful tribute and a point of reflection for those who visit.