Soap Operas: Entire Days of Our Lives Cast Released From Their Contracts (tell your aunties!) UPDATE: moving to Peacock

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Entire Days of Our Lives Cast Released From Their Contracts, Which Seems Ominous
12-days-of-our-lives.w330.h330.jpg
By Jordan Crucchiola@jorcru
Photo: Mitchell Haaseth/NBC
Well, this doesn’t seem like good news. TVLine reports that the entire cast of Days of Our Lives have been released from their contracts. The long, long-running soap opera has not been canceled, mind you. All the people who act in it just don’t technically work for the show anymore, and it’s been put on an indefinite hiatus. According to the report, NBC wants to keep making Days, but the contracts go through the company Corday Productions. Neither the TV network nor Sony, which also produces it, commented on the news, but one insider had some insights about what might be up. “It’s actually a shrewd — if cynical — business move,” says the source. “If Days gets picked up, [Corday] can offer the actors new contacts at a reduced rate and with a ‘take-it-or-leave-it’ attitude. Worst-case scenario, they lose half their cast. Best-case scenario [for Corday], everyone agrees to return at a lower salary.”
Ratings for Days — and for soap operas generally — are struggling, but if you’re a fan of the series, it sounds like there is still hope. Your show is not canceled. It just … has no actors at the moment and no timeline for when it might go back into production. The cast did recently wrap the next season, however, and it will air next summer. So, new episodes are still on the way.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Seems to me that might be a good time and idea to start a streaming soaps network... The language gets a little looser...the action pumped up a bit more...fans get there shot directly to the main vain whenever they want...:dunno:

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

‘Days of Our Lives’ to Launch New Digital Series ‘Last Blast Reunion’
By DANIELLE TURCHIANO
Danielle Turchiano
Senior Features Editor, TV@https://twitter.com/danielletbdFOLLOW
Danielle's Most Recent Stories
CREDIT: © XJJOHNSON/JPISTUDIOS.COM
Days of Our Lives” is launching a new digital series, entitled “Last Blast Reunion,” on the DOOL App Nov. 29.

This streaming series will bring nine beloved characters from the 2000 season of the NBC daytime drama back together for a special Salem High class reunion. Brandon Beemer, Martha Madison, Nadia Bjorlin, Heather Lindell, Aaron Van Wagner and Lindsay Hollister are all reprising roles, while Teressa Liane and Chadwick Hopson have been added in recasting.

Beemer will portray Shawn Douglas Brady, who he has played in the linear series since 2006; Madison is Belle Black, who she has played since 2005; and Bjorlin is Chloe Lane, a role she originated in 1999. Lindell reprises her 2004-05 role of Jan Spears, while Van Wagner returns as Jason Welles, a part he played from 2000-07; and Hollister revisits her 2001 role of Susan Adamson. Liane has taken over the role of Mimi Lockhart, previously portrayed by Farah Fath, and Hopson steps in as Kevin Lambert.

Additionally, the team behind the show is promising a “major fan favorite” will also join the reunion.

“We are excited to bring together some of the most beloved characters from Days of Our Lives in the next DOOL App series,” said Greg Meng, co-executive producer of “Days of Our Lives.” “As this new digital platform continues to grow, we can provide exciting additional content to complement the air show on NBC.”

In “Last Blast Reunion” Belle and Chloe discover their old friend Kevin has reopened the “.Com Café” in New York, and the trio decides to plan a reunion of the “Last Blast Crew.” The friends reminisce and quickly ease back into their old bonds and rivalries, but the story “takes an unexpected turn with some shocking twists that will keep viewers at the edge of their seats all the way to the surprise ending.”

Each of the eight episodes will run between seven and 10 minutes and length, released weekly on the DOOL App. They will also be available on the NBC app and NBC.com a week after release on the DOOL App.

The “Last Blast Reunion” digital series was written by “Days of Our Lives” head writer Ron Carlivati and produced by Corday Productions. “Days of Our Lives” is produced by Corday Productions, Inc. in association with Sony Pictures Television. It is executive produced by Ken Corday, Greg Meng and Albert Alarr, with Ron Carlivati as head writer.

This new digital series announcement comes a week after the linear show released its actors from their contracts.

Watch a clip from”Last Blast Reunion”:

lightbright

Master Pussy Poster
BGOL Investor
"Soap Operas: Entire Days of Our Lives Cast Released From Their Contracts (tell your aunties!)"

Even aunties don't watch that crap no more … everyone is watching B.S. reality and talk shows … that's why the coffin is finally closing on them ... they struggled to last as long as they did ... now just fill'em with formaldehyde and bury them ... :hmm:

sidebar: also the reason why this thread got only 6 replies …. in a week … 3 by OP

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Phew! Days of Our Lives has been renewed for a 56th season on NBC

By Lynette Rice
November 21, 2019 at 05:53 PM EST
FBTwitterMore
MITCHELL HAASETH/NBC
Days of Our Lives
TYPE
  • TV Show
NETWORK
GENRE
False alarm, everyone! Days of Our Lives will be coming back after all.
Though word surfaced last week that the actors could be out of work because no new deal has been reached for a 56th season, a Corday Productions executive told the cast Thursday that the renewal is happening — just a few i’s and t’s need to still be dotted and crossed. The DOOL actors will go on a year-end break, which is apparently always the case, and production will resume in January.
An NBC spokesperson declined to comment.
DOOL is wrapping its 55th season this month. Though NBC has eight months of DOOL episodes in the can, panic recently set in that the actors could be out of work for a while if NBC doesn’t close a deal soon with Sony Pictures Television, which distributes the show. Negotiations, however, were already underway, so the worry over the actors being out of work was unfounded.
PAID CONTENT
For Your Consideration
Read why Variety says Honey Boy is “One of Shia LaBeouf’s most multidimensional performances yet”
From Amazon Studios
Still, it’s rather easy to assume the worst these days when it comes to the health of daytime dramas. Viewership isn’t what it used to be for sudsers, even though fans still love their DOOL, General Hospital, Young and the Restless, and Bold and the Beautiful.
Anyway, Corday Productions continues to build upon the DOOL brand. On Wednesday the company announced that it is launching a new DOOL app that will reunite nine characters from the 2000 season for new digital series.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I don't think the genre's finished. Soap operas have survived by rolling with the punches and morphing with the trends. Remember it started out in radio over 70 years ago and has survived and thrived up until the last 10 years. That's mainly because listeners then viewers habits and times largely went unthreatened by changes in social trends. That is until cable and the Internet took hold. The problem as I see is that soap operas haven't figured out how to use those avenues to their advantage. Soap opera producers are still going by the old playbook instead of trying to reach an audience that's not as sedentary as previous generations. There are too many ways for viewers to become distracted and lose track and interest in keeping up with the stories.
250px-Guiding_Light_final_logo.jpg

1937(radio) - 2009

It's kind of easy to get hooked on a Soap. I remember getting addicted to The Guiding Light and As The World Turns back in the mid-80s. You usually start by following a character or a particular storyline and since everything in Soaps is crossed and intermingled it's not long before you're following two or three characters or subplots and suddenly you find yourself changing your time schedule around a particular hour of the day. At least that's how you got hooked back in the day. Unfortunately for Soaps, the same way you get hooked in the same way you lose interest. Because characters and plots come and go so frequently if you get too busy and lose track of the show it's even harder to pick it back up. The character may disappear or a new actor may be playing it and the plotline may have run its course and once that happens the motivation to try to pick it up again especially after a break is no longer there.
1f5W3N-bl8J76ClZvnf5Pu4Md4zGjP3F7EM1k5u3Lmb0nCLGuw4KQHADG0PAS55_h5XJZXER-HmOWZPT2EQn6tI48AEBQWTdF5LdbkVk0N2bx-E2KiTmbF-K-KlIu7sIBlqWlZgGmDRlxEvZ1axaOXv45A=s0-d

1968-2012

Some people would say that reality TV has supplanted the soap opera because from a production aspect its cheaper and quicker to produce and less susceptible to things like writer strikes and I suppose actor strikes since technically the players aren't supposed to be actors. And while its true that "unscripted" TV has a bit more bang for its buck its also true that reality TV doesn't create great actors only big celebrities. The soap opera has been a launching pad and proving ground where many well respected actors first cut their teeth on the little screen.

tt2SxtQmEZKfL3_F6NhaQrH5dqmhqf-eFStt_SNL7I3Uwsrv6tA0wvp-XBQkX-T756Nf0zj3hSBXNay-86MmvgakuQIuGsobQS14D80_6hxGU-OcCMHU=s0-d

1956-2010

If it weren't for the soap opera we wouldn't have: Tommy Lee Jones, Susan Sarandon, Brad Pitt, Julianne Moore, Leonardo DiCaprio, James Earl Jones, Kevin Bacon and Morgan Freeman and thats just a short list. Conversely MTV's The Real World is the longest running reality TV show coming up on 20 years on the air, how many critically acclaimed, Academy, Emmy and Golden Globe award winning actors has it produced? How many has ANY reality TV show produced?

99PM3LsW33dGgZH3fJ9PRQ4_OWYZh6KxqNaBwriWECQ7lgL4AjgRT2IZHi5g8XdCumhKg1DU6S_pyFHPgNSZviJGFWMnZJC7tIwXgz54zddy8By_hlmR=s0-d

1970-2011

Reality TV produces celebrities. Soap operas produce actors..there is a difference. Theres no reason why streaming can't pick up the slack. The issue doesn't seem to be about content but rather time-slot. Less people are watching because less people are home in the daytime. There a lot less homemakers now there used to be and in the era of recordable programming and with the expansion of streaming programming there's no need for college kids to have to schedule classes around shows. But again that's a timing issue not content. A dedcated streaming soap network with the gloves off in terms of language and visuals...I believe that would find its audience very quickly.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
50d424e2a3c80f49356f8696930bbe9beb-6-Kristian-Alonso.rsquare.w330.jpg

Actress Kristian Alfonso to Leave Days of Our Lives After 37 Years
By Halle Kiefer@hallekiefer
Photo: Matt Winkelmeyer/Getty Images
Days of Our Lives is currently planning to return to production on September 1, coronavirus quarantine guidelines–willing, but at least one cast member won’t be. According to Deadline, actress Kristian Alfonso, who has portrayed Hope Williams Brady on the long-running NBC soap opera since 1983, has decided to leave the series. “I feel blessed and honored to have been invited into people’s homes for over three decades. However, it is now time for me to write my next chapter,” she said in a statement. “I will not be returning to Days when it resumes production in September. I’ve already filmed my last episode several months ago.”
In her 37 years on the show, Alfonso’s Hope has been through a lot, ever since the actress landed the role following recasting; the character had been played by four different performers in the past. One half of soap opera couple Bo and Hope, across from Peter Reckell, the character had many storylines — her parenting children Shawn-Douglas, Zack and Ciara; rising through the ranks of the Salem Police Department to become commissioner; and, of course, being presumed dead in a cave explosion, only to return as an amnesiac named Gina due to the microchip installed in her brain containing the personality of Princess Gina Von Amberg, the infamous (and very much alive) art thief, all of which was a nefarious scheme by the evil Stefano DiMera, whom Hope eventually killed.
Alfonso initially portrayed Hope from 1983 to 1987, returned for several months in 1990, then rejoined the cast in May 1994 until this year. “Days of Our Lives has been a vital part of both my personal and professional journey,” says Alfonso, thanking the show’s late co-creator. “I am forever grateful to NBC and the late Betty Corday, who took a chance on me years ago and changed my life.”

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Days of Our Lives stars past and present returning for miniseries spin-off Beyond Salem

Lisa Rinna will return as Billie Reed in a five-episode event coming to Peacock.
By Nick Romano
July 26, 2021 at 01:31 PM EDT

ADVERTISEMENT
SaveFBTweetMore

00:31
02:25

These are the days of our lives... in miniseries form.
NBC is planning a five-episode Days of Our Lives limited series, titled Days of Our Lives: Beyond Salem, for its streaming service Peacock that will unite past and present stars of the long-running soap opera.
Actors to be featured include Lisa Rinna as Billie Reed, Deidre Hall as Dr. Marlena Evans, Drake Hogestyn as John Black, Jackée Harry as Paulina Price, James Reynolds as Abe Carver, Victoria Konefal as Ciara Brady, Robert Scott Wilson as Ben Weston, Billy Flynn as Chad DiMera, Lamon Archey as Eli Grant, and Sal Stowers as Lani Price. NBC notes that "additional beloved characters" will be involved in the miniseries.

Rinna's return will not go unnoticed by fans. She left Days of Our Lives in 2018 after playing Billie on the soap since 1992. She has since found a home in reality television on Bravo's The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills.
Deidre Hall, Lisa Rinna and Jackée Harry
| CREDIT: MITCHELL HAASETH/NBCU PHOTO BANK/NBCUNIVERSAL VIA GETTY IMAGES; CRAIG SJODIN/WALT DISNEY TELEVISION VIA GETTY IMAGES; KEVIN WINTER/GETTY IMAGES
As for the story of this miniseries, an official summary was released: "Over a long weekend, John and Marlena travel to Zurich; Ben and Ciara have a romantic getaway in New Orleans; Chad visits some old friends in Phoenix; and Abe, Paulina, Lani, and Eli vacation in Miami. All find themselves embroiled in a mystery involving stolen jewels which, in the wrong hands, could cause dire consequences for Salem. It's a race against time for ISA agent Billie Reed as she crosses the globe in search of this missing treasure."
Ken Corday serves as executive producer with co-executive producer Albert Alarr. Ron Carlivati serves as head writer.
Days of Our Lives airs weekdays on NBC, and episodes are available to stream on Peacock.

ThaBurgerPimp

Rising Star
BGOL Patreon Investor

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Days of Our Lives: Beyond Salem stars on those Real Housewives lines, that BDSM scene, and more

Lisa Rinna, Austin Peck, Jackée Harry, James Reynolds, Eileen Davidson, and Victoria Konefal dish about their Peacock limited series and look back on their first days ever on Days of Our Lives for EW's Around the Table.
By Gerrad Hall
September 13, 2021 at 09:18 PM EDT

Peacock's Days of Our Lives: Beyond Salem served as a welcome home for many of the former cast — Lisa Rinna, Eileen Davidson, Christie Clark, and Austin Peck among them — and as a welcome reunion for The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills' Rinna and former housewife Davidson. And you better believe they paid tribute to — satirized, even — an infamous RHOBH season 5 dinner where their then costar Kim Richards called Davidson "a beast" and told Rinna to "have a piece of bread" before trying to turn the negative attention to Rinna's husband, Harry Hamlin. Rinna fired back, throwing a glass of wine on Richards and then smashing the glass on the table.
Lisa Rinna in 'Days of Our Lives: Beyond Salem.'

| CREDIT: EVANS VESTAL WARD/PEACOCK
"It was not my idea [to incorporate the Housewives scene], but I think at this point if you can't laugh at yourself, it's a sad day," Rinna says during a discussion for EW's Around the Table video series about their real-life dinner from hell inspiring a showdown between her Billie Reed and Davidson's Kristen DiMera making its way into the Beyond Salem script. "So I thought it was hilarious."

Made even more so thanks to a major suggestion from the two women.
"The very first script I got with it, they didn't have the two famous lines, and Lisa and I were like, 'Wait, what? If you're gonna go there, you gotta go there,'" Davidson recalls of Richards calling her a beast and Davidson retorting, "How dare you?"
Even the bread got a shout-out. "The line was there, but I took it upon myself to throw it at [Rinna's] face," Davidson explains. "Why not?"
Eileen Davidson as 'Days of Our Lives: Beyond Salem.'

Davidson's come-to-play attitude also landed her in a nun's habit, with DiMera posing as Sister Mary Moira Banks — another character she previously portrayed on Days, along with Mary Moira's i-dental-cal (they both have really bad teeth) twin sister Susan Banks.

"They wanted to give me new teeth," Davidson says of her return after many years to play the character. "They go, 'Can you come in for a new teeth fitting?' And I was like, 'I have my old teeth, I don't need new ones.' The guy that made Austin Powers' teeth made my teeth all those years ago."
Deidre Hall and Drake Hogestyn in 'Days of Our Lives: Beyond Salem.'
In the five-episode limited series, the characters are trying to track down gems stolen from a golden peacock. John (Drake Hogestyn) and Deidre Hall (Marlena) are on the trail of one, which Austin (Austin Peck) — not realizing it's stolen property — has bought as a gift for his wife, Carrie (Christie Clark). Elsewhere, thieves hold Paulina (Jackée Harry), Abe (James Reynolds), Lani (Sal Stowers), and Eli (Lamon Archey) at gunpoint, making off with Paulina's orange diamond ring gifted to her by a certain Michelle who lived in a white house.
Jackée Harry and James Reynolds in 'Days of Our Lives: Beyond Salem.'

Meanwhile, Victoria Konefal's Ciara poses as a princess who goes to a fancy soiree that ends up being a swingers party. Determined to recover one of the jewels, she goes all in, restraining the blindfolded party host to a bed with handcuffs.
"We don't really dive into R-rated things in daytime. Even our love scenes are very sweet and fluffy and perfect. So it was so much fun to have to dive into that," Konefal says. "I've never done a scene that was anything remotely close to this before. So it was breaking the ice, breaking the boundaries really quick with this guy. I had to tie him up, beat him with a little feather. Ciara's never done that — ever! So it was fun to see what the writers are capable of knowing that we don't have the restrictions and limitations of daytime because... we can't really bring BDSM into the mix."
But they did that, as well as a sexy Tango performed by Billie and her new ISA partner (Peter Porte). While Rinna was a contestant on season 2 of Dancing With the Stars, she's hesitant to think that experience helped.
"Well, it's been about 14 years since Dancing With the Stars, so I'm not sure if it came in handy," Rinna says with a laugh, noting that she did get a little help from her DWTS partner Louis Van Amstel, who choreographed her Days dance.
"I don't know how we did it," she says. "Monday we rehearsed for two hours, learned the Tango, Wednesday we filmed it, and I still don't know how we did it, but it was sure fun!"
Check out the full Around the Table above for more from the cast, including memories of their first day ever on the soap opera, and whether there might be more Beyond Salem to come.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Days of Our Lives is moving to Peacock, ending a 57-year run on NBC

The venerable soap opera is making a permanent jump to streaming.

By Maureen Lee LenkerAugust 03, 2022 at 06:11 PM EDT

It's a shocker worthy of soap opera.
The daytime drama Days of Our Lives, NBC's longest-running series, will be making the jump to the Peacock streaming platform this fall, the network announced Wednesday. NBC News Daily, a new hourlong program, will air in the vacated DOOL time slot.
New episodes of Days of Our Lives will begin debuting daily on Peacock starting Sept. 12. The show, which has collected 58 Daytime Emmys during a 57-year run on broadcast TV, already has a robust library of its 14,000-plus episodes available to Peacock Premium subscribers. The move also means DOOL is joining its spin-off Days of Our Lives: Beyond Salem, a Peacock original.

"This programming shift benefits both Peacock and NBC and is reflective of our broader strategy to utilize our portfolio to maximize reach and strengthen engagement with viewers," said Mark Lazarus, chairman of NBCUniversal Television and Streaming, in a statement. "With a large percentage of the Days of Our Lives audience already watching digitally, this move enables us to build the show's loyal fanbase on streaming while simultaneously bolstering the network daytime offering with an urgent, live programming opportunity for partners and consumers."

'Days of Our Lives'

| CREDIT: CHRIS HASTON/NBC
The shift leaves only three daytime soaps remaining on network television: ABC's General Hospital and CBS' The Young and the Restless and The Bold and the Beautiful.

In addition to Beyond Salem, Days of Our Lives presaged the move to Peacock with an original Christmas movie on the platform last year.
The soap's replacement, NBC News Daily, will be anchored by Kate Snow, Aaron Gilchrist, Vicky Nguyen, and Morgan Radford.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

How to Watch Days of Our Lives Now That It's Only Streaming on Peacock
By How to Stream Team / September 11 2022, 10:01 AM PDT
Courtesy of NBC

The sands are still slipping through that hourglass — but now in a new, streaming-only home, as the iconic soap opera Days of Our Lives moves from NBC to the Peacock streaming service.
Here’s how you can keep tabs on life in Salem USA.
What's Streaming on Peacock and Elsewhere
Launch List

Days of Our Lives will stream exclusively on Peacock beginning Monday, Sept. 12, thus ending its 57-year run on NBC. New episodes, released every weekday, will only be available to subscribers of Peacock Premium, which typically costs $4.99 per month — though a fall promotion running throughout the month of September slashes the Premium rate to just $1.99/month for new subscribers, or $19.99 for an entire year (sign up here).

A new one-hour news program titled NBC News Daily will fill Days‘ soon-to-be-vacant slot.

How to Watch Days of Our Lives on Peacock Streaming
Days of Our Lives is only available for Peacock Premium subscribers. If you are not already subscribed, Peacock is offering a rate of $1.99/month, or $19.99 for an entire year, for new sign-ups during the month of September. Sign up now to stream Days of Our Lives and other Peacock TV and movie content, including original series such as Girls5eva, The Resort and the Fresh Prince reboot Bel-Air, the blockbuster movie Jurassic World Dominion, the original rom-com Meet Cute (with Kaley Cuoco and Pete Davidson), plus full seasons of Yellowstone, Modern Family, The Office, Two and a Half Men and Psych. Peacock also is the new, exclusive home for next-day streaming of new episodes of NBC shows including the #OneChicago trifecta, the Law & Order franchise, Saturday Night Live, La Brea and The Voice.
PEACOCK PREMIUM STREAMING: SIGN UP NOW
($1.99/month for new sign-ups in September; $4.99/month after)
Fans of the Salem-based sudser were quick to express concerns about the move. In addition to the heretofore-“free” soap now costing a few dollars a month, some have wondered if the program itself might change, free as it soon will be of the restrictions of stodgy broadcast-TV. Days exec producer Ken Corday, though, assured fans via a recent Q&A that they will get via streaming “the same show” that they have enjoyed for years and years.
With maybe one, “bigger” exception.
“You will probably be getting more show content after February of next year, because we don’t have to limit the show to 38 minutes with 22 minutes of commercial time,” Corday ventured. (Days has already filmed/banked episodes through February 2023).
“On Peacock, with the [Premium] subscription, you get four minutes of commercial time [per episode], and with the higher [Premium Plus] subscription,” which fetches $9.99/month, “you get no commercial time. So, that’s good,” he said.