Sports Debate: How can you make it to the NBA & NOT be able to shoot and/or make free throws?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
This is something my little girl asked me the other day when she was watching a NBA draft preview...

She was like Dad, how can you be a serious basketball player make all that money and not be able to shoot the ball?

Isn't that what basketball is all about

WTF?!??!!? is the deal with pro basketball players not being able to hit their free throws

I'm looking at YOU Dwight and DeAndre?!?!?!

Can ANYONE give me a serious answer on that?

2 ONE 3

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Because they feel like the raw athletic talent a lot of these kids have trumps a broken jumper...

Something which can be fixed with hours of practice in the gym getting shots up.

You can't teach genetics, speed, quickness & athleticism.

You can teach big cats how to shoot

Perfect example is myself...I used to shoot 2 handed growing up like Noah until I got to 9th grade. Completely changed my form.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
I can understand making it to the NBA

but you have players like DeAndre Jordan who still can't make free throws.

There's no way you should be in the NBA for years and still be a shitty free throw shooter.

You have nothing but time to practice

simonmarcel

Rising Star
OG Investor
If you can handle the ball and are a good passer, you don't need to be able to shoot. Also goes for guys who can block shots and get steals.

incogneg

Rising Star
Registered
This is something my little girl asked me the other day when she was watching a NBA draft preview...

She was like Dad, how can you be a serious basketball player make all that money and not be able to shoot the ball?

WTF?!??!!? is the deal with pro basketball players not being able to hit their free throws

You've got a 1 in 7 chance to make the NBA if you're 7 feet tall vs a 1 in 1.2MILLION chance if around 6'2".

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/11/03/sunday-review/so-you-want-to-play-pro-basketball.html

screen-shot-2013-06-27-at-3-47-21-pm.png

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
1 word

Mental.

You hear stories bout Shaq making all free throws in practice but not in game.

This. That is a high pressure situation and if you miss one it will fuck with your mind.

That is why I give LeBron credit for hitting that free throw in a game seven after getting fucked up by Draymond Green with less than 10 seconds left in the game.

HeavyArmz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
It kills me when people talk like this about free throws. He's on the roster because the other skills he provides are better then the other guy who is great at making free throws but his other skills are lacking. If it was just about taking the time to practice, shouldn't every NBA player be at the same level when it comes to free throws? It's the same distance for every player. It's the same ball. But it's a skill that some people have and some don't. Deandre Jordan could shoot the exact same amount of free throws as the guy who an average free throw shooter and their results would the the same. The great free throw shooter could take the exact same amount of practice reps as the average dude and the great one would still be great and the average one would still be average. You can switch free throw with anything and it would still ring true.
I can understand making it to the NBA

but you have players like DeAndre Jordan who still can't make free throws.

There's no way you should be in the NBA for years and still be a shitty free throw shooter.

You have nothing but time to practice

jasonblacc

Rising Star
Registered
This. That is a high pressure situation and if you miss one it will fuck with your mind.

That is why I give LeBron credit for hitting that free throw in a game seven after getting fucked up by Draymond Green with less than 10 seconds left in the game.

Lebron as great as he is doesn't even shoot 80% from the line. It's all mental. If you any dude in the NBA to local court gym they would easily hit freethrows probably be knocking down three's.

Rollie_Fingaz

Rising Star
OG Investor
It kills me when people talk like this about free throws. He's on the roster because the other skills he provides are better then the other guy who is great at making free throws but his other skills are lacking. If it was just about taking the time to practice, shouldn't every NBA player be at the same level when it comes to free throws? It's the same distance for every player. It's the same ball. But it's a skill that some people have and some don't. Deandre Jordan could shoot the exact same amount of free throws as the guy who an average free throw shooter and their results would the the same. The great free throw shooter could take the exact same amount of practice reps as the average dude and the great one would still be great and the average one would still be average. You can switch free throw with anything and it would still ring true.

He should check his mechanics.

JimJones

Rising Star
Registered
One thing I always hated and still hate about professional sports is its compartmentalization. I understand why they do it but many people miss out on their greatness because a team already have someone better than them at something their great at so they draft or trade for you to do something your good at but not great at. It really starts in the AAU. The coaches say I want you to do this and the kid like I am better in this position and the coach is like we already got someone good in that position. How many people in this nfl and NBA not playing the position they played in high school and in college.

the13thround

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Its all about having the "want to" in order to improve at FTs.
When Karl Malone got to the league he was a TERRIBLE free throw shooter.
Then by the time he hit his prime, he was pretty reliable at the line.
There's no excuse for Dwight Howard whatsoever.
While in Houston, he had access to Calvin Murphy 24/7 to help him clean up his FTs.
Murphy is arguably the greatest FT shooter in NBA history.
He works for the Rockets and Dwight never asked for his help.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
1 word

Mental.

You hear stories bout Shaq making all free throws in practice but not in game.

OK just for the sake of discussion IF Deandre COULD shoot like lets say80%

how much more MONEY would he make?

How much more VALUABLE overall is he to a team?

How much of a better PLAYER is he?

Cause having to take him out of the final minutes of bg games has to count for something.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Because they feel like the raw athletic talent a lot of these kids have trumps a broken jumper...

Something which can be fixed with hours of practice in the gym getting shots up.

You can't teach genetics, speed, quickness & athleticism.

You can teach big cats how to shoot

Perfect example is myself...I used to shoot 2 handed growing up like Noah until I got to 9th grade. Completely changed my form.

Why can't they just shoot underhand Rick Barry Style?

Day_Carver

Rising Star
BGOL Investor

Called skills bro..but some dudes on here will swear these new nba players are more skilled than the previous generations

D-TOWN REP

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Well most of the niggas who can't shoot free throws are 6'9 and up so being tall, strong, and athletic is the answer

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor

This is some of the dumbest shit I've ever read.

Your whole post is saying players are what they are shooting free throws, but the average player improves their free throw shooting from when they first come in the league.

Free throw shooting is a skill :confused:

Have you ever played basketball in your life?

How did Steph Curry and Ray Allen become great shooters? By fuckin practicing. Ray Allen practiced two times a day shooting...morning and afternoon. He missed two fuckin free throws in a game and then put up over 100 free throws after the game.

Switch free throw shooting with anything? A 15 foot shot where nobody is guarding you. :hmm: Yeah, because Kobe practicing a turn around jumper or his footwork didn't help him at all.

A skill some people have and some don't...so just accept them being bad free throw shooters :smh:

HeavyArmz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This is some of the dumbest shit I've ever read.

Your whole post is saying players are what they are shooting free throws, but the average player improves their free throw shooting from when they first come in the league.

Free throw shooting is a skill :confused:

Have you ever played basketball in your life?

How did Steph Curry and Ray Allen become great shooters? By fuckin practicing. Ray Allen practiced two times a day shooting...morning and afternoon. He missed two fuckin free throws in a game and then put up over 100 free throws after the game.

Switch free throw shooting with anything? A 15 foot shot where nobody is guarding you. :hmm: Yeah, because Kobe practicing a turn around jumper or his footwork didn't help him at all.

A skill some people have and some don't...so just accept them being bad free throw shooters :smh:
Yes a free throw is just as much as a skill as dribbling a basketball is a skill. Are you saying that nobody in the world ever practiced shooting as much or with as much determination as Ray Allen? :hmm:, no matter how much one practices, Some people are just naturally better than others at certain things.

Complex

Internet Superstar
BGOL Investor
Yes a free throw is just as much as a skill as dribbling a basketball is a skill. Are you saying that nobody in the world ever practiced shooting as much or with as much determination as Ray Allen? :hmm:, no matter how much one practices, Some people are just naturally better than others at certain things.

And how do you become a better dribbler? By fuckin practicing. You aren't what you are. You practice to improve and get better.

That's why Steph Curry still fuckin practices dribbling. You just don't accept you are what you are.

A skill can be improved upon.

And no I don't think Andre Roberson puts up hundreds of shots every day and does shooting drills daily.