Styles P doesn’t think Hip Hop is as competitive as it used to be

jawnswoop

It's A Philly Thing
BGOL Investor
eMK5haeH

Styles P has long been known for being one of Hip Hop’s top-tier lyricists, but he now believes that the sport of rap isn’t a place that breeds competition anymore.

In a Thursday (July 13) interview with Jalen Rose on his Renaissance Man With Jalen Rose podcast, The LOX rapper spoke about the lack of friendly sparring in the rap game while using basketball scoring analogies to drive his point home.

“That’s also the difference between Hip Hop of back then and Hip Hop of today, they aren’t competitive enough against each other, I feel,” said Styles P. “I personally feel — like, when you get on a track with somebody it’s supposed to be business. When you get in the studio with somebody, you supposed to be trying to air them out. Not diss them, but you supposed to be trying to drop a triple-double.”

He added: “If they gone drop a double-double, you want to make sure you drop a triple-double and I think that sense of competitiveness has left somewhat.”

Styles P has been very vocal about a number of topics in culture as of late. During the 2023 BET Awards weekend in June, HipHopDX asked Ghost about the first rap record he was able to memorize in its entirety.

Styles P opted to name Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five’s 1982 call-to-action track, “The Message.” “That was the first, most inspirational song for me,” he explained. “Album-wise though, I think everybody was focused on remembering Rakim, Kool G Rap, [Big Daddy] Kane, and KRS [One] bar for bar, especially my era.”

In addition, Ghost recently discussed his disdain for A.I. [Artificial Intelligence]. During a July interview with First Smoke of the Day, Styles P made it clear that while his peers may be down with the AI revolution, he’s not a fan of using the tools because it goes against the Higher Order of things.

“I don’t dig it,” he said. “I don’t like artificial anything, especially not artificial intelligence. I think, as people, none of us do. Do you know what’s crazy, when you think about it? God made Man. Man made Machine. Machine is thinking better than Man, and that is God.”

He continued: “Artificial intelligence is man-made. Who’s making it? So you have a lot of human beings that are not going to understand that a human being actually made artificial intelligence. And now people are going to think that artificial intelligence can think better than its creator.”

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Just read the first few paragraphs......

Definitely gotta add this to my pod Playlist

Part of the problem is mfkrs aren't in the studio together anymore......"send the stems /dat (or whatever other file type), I'll drop a verse and send it back."

Mfkrs aren't bouncing off the energy anymore.

It used to be like that. Cats used to talk about how Fab would drop a verse and then they'd be like hold-up I gotta change my shit.....

I know the song is old as hell.now, but 4,3,2,1....

Canibus said something LL didn't like, so he changed his verse. And that started a feud that greatly impacted Bus' career.....it was another notch on LL's belt....

Mfkrs in the Wu.....changing verses

Cats doing songs with Jadakiss, Beans, Jay-z.....etc

You don't hear stories like
"XYZ came in the studio either on some fuck shit (not dapping mflrs up, no salutes, stingy with the weed....etc) or super focused (stone faced intros, nah i dont need the spliff, can i go first...), I knew I had to body him on this verse."

It's not the same sitting in your boys studio, just you him and your crew.....