Suggestions for Hobbies?

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I know this is a random question, but I am trying to find a hobby to occupy my time. Any ideas??

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor
reading - novels, comics, etc.
learn to work with computers - programming, fixing, building
work out
photography

DC_Dude

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Thanks! I do read and workout 3-4 times a week. I am also involved in some community activities as well, but I was just trying to find something else fun to do....

doggish_098

Rising Star
Registered
golf, poker, remote control planes cars boats, community involvement, big brother big sisters.... a lot of good ways you can occupy your spare time

doggish_098

Rising Star
Registered
word. if you dont know how to play texas hold'em, learn.

saw they have some new variation of hold em called pineapple and crazy pineapple... from what i read you start off with 3 cards instead of two discard one and then everything goes as usually... they say the betting can get kind of crazy

TimRock

Don't let me be misunderstood
BGOL Investor
saw they have some new variation of hold em called pineapple and crazy pineapple... from what i read you start off with 3 cards instead of two discard one and then everything goes as usually... they say the betting can get kind of crazy

havent heard about it, but i will check it out.

Mississippi

Potential Star
BGOL Investor
Depends on your budget but my shit is largescale RC cars..

My husband got me into these damn things about 7 years ago. It can get pricey but its a great hobby. I just drive em and crash em, but he can build and customize them now. We got the kids just some cheap radio shack rc's bc they are into it too. Im sure when they are a bit older he will build them their own.

irvthaperv

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Customize your car... Don't necessarily get ghetto with it, but add things to make you happy. New springs/shocks, maybe reprogram your pcm to go a little faster. Maybe a little bass in back to make your music sound better. I tell ya... It makes it easy to go to work in the morning when you can enjoy the ride.

Unless you're in New York... Then just buy some better headphones for the subway, lol!

alexw

Unapologetically Afrikan!
Platinum Member
go on meetup.com and join a meetup group in your local area

you meet new people based on this shit you like

Djmarkxr7

OG BGOL'er
Registered
I build train sets :yes:

i still have the ones from when i was younger and when my father was a kid... i need to take them and see what i would need to get them working again

Lionel 027 gauge here from the 70s, was bugging out when I looked up what they're doing with today's trains, radio control with computer chips & all, even how they've changed the track.

I used to set up my Christmas tree the day after Thanksgiving when I was a kid JUST to be able to set up my train set underneath.

My engine cost $100 back in '76, I see they run about $350 now.:eek:

4North1Side2

Rising Star
Registered
go on meetup.com and join a meetup group in your local area

you meet new people based on this shit you like

I joined that and all the most popular groups in pittsburgh want payment :/

Dc dude try learning asl/sign language being that your in dc with the largest deaf population on the east coast.

tical

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Man this is what I wanna start as soon as I get all these bullshit as test and applications out of the way:

astronomer.jpg

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/

Djmarkxr7

OG BGOL'er
Registered
Man this is what I wanna start as soon as I get all these bullshit as test and applications out of the way:

astronomer.jpg

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/

Had a subscription to this & Astronomy magazine when I was a kid, lucky enough to be knowledgeable when Haley's Comet passed by in 1986, not coming around again till 2062, got out of it though living in NYC, too much light pollution to see a lot, especially if you don't live in a hi-rise.

This, trains & models, RC might be the way to go nowadays OP.

Chills

International member
BGOL Investor
If you're in good shape, learn to ski/snowboard. My friends and i travel the globe year round, to snowboard some amazing terrain. We've also built great relationships with people in different countries through our travels. It's also an incredible workout.

Last edited:

Malice

Rising Star
Registered
I still want to do this myself. Have to get my permit first. Seems like you can let go of a lot of stress at the gun range.
indoor_pistol_shooting.jpg

ss2020

Potential Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
Try writing or blogging. I do that as well as deejaying and work out. I also walk distances as well.

ss2020

Potential Star
BGOL Patreon Investor
I joined that and all the most popular groups in pittsburgh want payment :/

Dc dude try learning asl/sign language being that your in dc with the largest deaf population on the east coast.

I do meet up in Baltimore. Its fun They usually want payment for stuff that really cost, or to cover dues. My suggestion is do stuff that only involves having a good time. Also look into intramural sports. I play in a skeeball league for fun as well.

EPDC

El Pirate Del Caribe
BGOL Investor
Start fishing, build model cars and planes, collect stamps, go to yard sales, buy junk and sell that shit on ebay/amazon....