Surprising political endorsement from Muhammad Ali

Art Vandelay

Importer/exporter
Registered
This was a disappointment to learn and very at odds with what I know of him from the 1970s with Vietnam, Islam and such a strong emphasis on black & brown empowerment.

How the fuck do you go from endorsing Jessie Jackson to Ronald Reagan in one year?

FLASHBACK: Muhammad Ali Endorsed Reagan — ‘He’s Keeping God In Schools And That’s Enough’

Muhammad Ali, the boxing champion and cultural icon who passed away Friday night at the age of 74, didn’t shy away from anything, not even politics.

Ali was not afraid in the ring or of bucking trends. In the 1984 election, after endorsing his friend and Democrat Jesse Jackson in the primary over eventual nominee Walter Mondale, Ali switched parties and threw his support behind the reelection bid of President Ronald Reagan. As the New York Times reported at the time, Ali explained his change by saying, ”He’s keeping God in schools and that’s enough.”

Ali even allowed his image, along with fellow boxing legends Joe Frazier and Floyd Patterson, to be used in a billboard for the Reagan reelection campaign.

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor
pretty much all the rich black dudes in the 80's were republican because Reagan was all about tax breaks for the rich

World B Free

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
In full context:

tumblr_o8bczzcmkX1rbtfplo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_o8bczzcmkX1rbtfplo1_1280.jpg

Art Vandelay

Importer/exporter
Registered
In full context:

tumblr_o8bczzcmkX1rbtfplo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_o8bczzcmkX1rbtfplo1_1280.jpg
I'm not trying to unfairly attack Ali but I don't see how him meeting every President explains away publicly endorsing Reagan's re-election.

Here's the full NY Times article from a month before the election:

CAMPAIGN NOTES; Muhammad Ali Switches His Support to Reagan
UPI
Published: October 3, 1984

LOS ANGELES, Oct. 2—
Muhammad Ali, the former heavyweight boxing champion, who endorsed the Rev. Jesse Jackson's unsuccessful run for the White House, has announced he is switching to President Reagan.

Mr. Ali announced his support Monday night at a gathering for black Republicans at the home of Jerry Zarg, who is challenging Representative Henry A. Waxman, a Democrat.

Asked to elaborate on his endorsement of Mr. Reagan, Mr. Ali told reporters, ''He's keeping God in schools and that's enough.''

World B Free

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I'm not trying to unfairly attack Ali but I don't see how him meeting every President explains away publicly endorsing Reagan's re-election.

UPI

LOS ANGELES, Oct. 2—
Muhammad Ali, the former heavyweight boxing champion, who endorsed the Rev. Jesse Jackson's unsuccessful run for the White House, has announced he is switching to President Reagan.

Mr. Ali announced his support Monday night at a gathering for black Republicans at the home of Jerry Zarg, who is challenging Representative Henry A. Waxman, a Democrat.

Asked to elaborate on his endorsement of Mr. Reagan, Mr. Ali told reporters, ''He's keeping God in schools and that's enough.''
It's about Power, & Muhammad Ali was about Power, in the boxing ring & outside of it, & maybe he wanted to be aligned with what he perceived as a winner in 1980. & Muhammad Ali showed by meeting all those Presidents is that he respected the office of the Presidency in terms of Power, even Bill Clinton will give his eulogy.

Peep this about his relationship with Jimmy Carter:
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/06/muhammad-ali-diplomat-213941

Last edited:

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor

UPI

LOS ANGELES, Oct. 2—

Republican or not I don't think anyone would call Ali a coon.

D'Evils

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
And Bill Clinton is doing the eulogy at his Funeral.

Along with Bryant Gumbal and Billy Crystal.

Art Vandelay

Importer/exporter
Registered
It's about Power, & Muhammad Ali was about Power, in the boxing ring & outside of it, & maybe he wanted to be aligned with what he perceived as a winner.

Isn't that the definition of selling out?

I want to excuse the endorsement but that's not good enough... I know he had Parkinson's at that point but I don't know if that means he was unable to really make decisions like this and therefore unaccountable. If so, that would be fair. If not, I don't think there's a good rationale or excuse.

Thanks-- I hadn't seen that and knew nothing about it.

"If the U.S. wouldn’t back an African Olympic boycott, then why should African countries back an American Olympic boycott? When Ali was asked this question, he had no answer. In one nation after another, Ali was presented with persuasive arguments for ignoring the U.S. boycott—and found himself sympathetic to them. In Tanzania, in response to reporters’ inquiries, he admitted, 'Maybe I’m being used to do something that ain’t right. You’re making me look at things different. If I find out I’m wrong, I’m going back to America and cancel the whole trip.'
Ali said: 'I’m not a traitor to black people. If you can show me something I don’t know, I want to be helped. You all have given me some questions which are good and are making me look at this thing different.'"

He deserves a ton of credit for his approach to that situation in 1980. However, I don't see why he allowed himself to be used to support the wrong things in 1984.

Art Vandelay

Importer/exporter
Registered
Art Vandelay OP,

So what do you conclude about Muhammad Ali for him supporting Ronald Reagan?

I don't know what to conclude. I never thought about it until this morning. It might just be his mental health at the time-- There's really no logic behind going from Jesse Jackson to Ronald Reagan in the same year. Maybe we have to take everything he said after he was done boxing with a tremendous grain of salt-- That's where I'm leaning, though I'm not a doctor or mental health professional, so I'm not totally sure.

Maybe you can dismiss it but you certainly can't justify it.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
I've voted for right wing candidates before. Can't begrudge Ali for doing the same thing.

Many Black celebrities put their weight behind Bill Clinton. Look how that turned out....

Mr. Bizkits

Rising Star
Registered
I don't know what to conclude. I never thought about it until this morning. It might just be his mental health at the time-- There's really no logic behind going from Jesse Jackson to Ronald Reagan in the same year. Maybe we have to take everything he said after he was done boxing with a tremendous grain of salt-- That's where I'm leaning, though I'm not a doctor or mental health professional, so I'm not totally sure.

Maybe you can dismiss it but you certainly can't justify it.

Hmm... You maybe right. Do you believe his actions and support for Ronald Reagan damages his legacy in any way?

Art Vandelay

Importer/exporter
Registered
I've voted for right wing candidates before. Can't begrudge Ali for doing the same thing.

Many Black celebrities put their weight behind Bill Clinton. Look how that turned out....

I've been wrong many times in my life. I'll be voting for Hillary Clinton in November. I probably would have supported Bill Clinton had I been an adult back then. Sometimes I can be too unforgiving. It's all on a scale.

I do think there's a huge, huge difference between Bill Clinton and Ronald Reagan politically-- We shouldn't confuse those who wrongly compromise with evil with those they compromise with. But I think that's a topic for another thread.

EDIT: I'll also say that I hope you've learned from your mistakes and making a mistake in your past doesn't disqualify you from judging-- and, more importantly, teaching and helping others to avoid doing the same-- in the future.

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

Importer/exporter
Registered
Hmm... You maybe right. Do you believe his actions and support for Ronald Reagan damages his legacy in any way?

Not really. Most people don't and won't know about that.

I think his disavowal of Malcolm X-- definitely not attributable to Parkinson's-- was a bigger issue, though he regretted it and I tend to think we should forgive mistakes that people own up to, recognize and repent.

Of course, he wasn't perfect... But he'll rightly be remembered for his many positive contributions to society.

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
I've been wrong many times in my life. I'll be voting for Hillary Clinton in November. I probably would have supported Bill Clinton had I been an adult back then. Sometimes I can be too unforgiving. It's all on a scale.

I do think there's a huge, huge difference between Bill Clinton and Ronald Reagan politically-- We shouldn't confuse those who wrongly compromise with evil with those they compromise with. But I think that's a topic for another thread.

EDIT: I'll also say that I hope you've learned from your mistakes and making a mistake in your past doesn't disqualify you from judging-- and, more importantly, teaching and helping others to avoid doing the same-- in the future.

Regan and Clinton may have been different politically, but both did horrible damage to the Black community during their reigns. Clinton was arguably worse.

In my case, I voted for a local right wing legislator in Canada because she helped my daughter get into a special needs program that had denied us earlier. I would do it again. That program is the reason she can talk.

Art Vandelay

Importer/exporter
Registered

:hmm:

I don't think discussing history honestly is shitting on someone's grave. I respect Ali more than just about any athlete in world history and was genuinely surprised to learn about this. I don't think it's an unmentionable fact. If I really wanted to shit on his grave, there would be other, more personal, routes to take. But this isn't about Ali being imperfect-- that's everybody. But his 1970s politics have been inescapable in the past few days and to go from that to supporting Reagan would be amazing from anyone in his or her right mind.

Art Vandelay

Importer/exporter
Registered
Regan and Clinton may have been different politically, but both did horrible damage to the Black community during their reigns. Clinton was arguably worse.

In my case, I voted for a local right wing legislator in Canada because she helped my daughter get into a special needs program that had denied us earlier. I would do it again. That program is the reason she can talk.

George W. Bush did more for Africa than other presidents, to my knowledge. I'm sure Reagan must have done something positive in 8 years. You can find a bright spot on anyone's record.

I'm not claiming every Democrat or so-called liberal is better than every Republican or so-called conservative in every single circumstance. If you're saying you would vote for anyone despite whatever horrible things they did if they helped your daughter, I think that's terribly selfish and unconscionable. I assume you're saying this person wasn't particularly bad all-around, though. At least, I hope.

Last edited:

Dannyblueyes

Aka Illegal Danny
BGOL Investor
George W. Bush did more for Africa than other presidents, to my knowledge. I'm sure Reagan must have done something positive in 8 years. You can find a bright spot on anyone's record.

I'm not claiming every Democrat or so-called liberal is better than every Republican or so-called Republican in every single circumstance. If you're saying you would vote for anyone despite whatever horrible things they did if they helped your daughter, I think that's terribly selfish and unconscionable. I assume you're saying this person wasn't particularly bad all-around, though. At least, I hope.

This particular person was an MLA (member of the legislative assembly) for my district. The equivalent of a state senator in the USA. Her son had a similar problem to my daughter so she ran as an independent with the sole purpose of saving the program. She won and her reelection was sponsored by the Reform party, a group with a similar platform to the Republicans.

Despite her views she really didn't have the power to do anything that terrible. She couldn't vote to go to war, change the criminal code, or deport "minorities" because that's all decided on the federal level. Her job was to advocate for people having trouble accessing government services and vote on provincial matters

Art Vandelay

Importer/exporter
Registered
This particular person was an MLA (member of the legislative assembly) for my district. The equivalent of a state senator in the USA. Her son had a similar problem to my daughter so she ran as an independent with the sole purpose of saving the program. She won and her reelection was sponsored by the Reform party, a group with a similar platform to the Republicans.

Despite her views she really didn't have the power to do anything that terrible. She couldn't vote to go to war, change the criminal code, or deport "minorities" because that's all decided on the federal level. Her job was to advocate for people having trouble accessing government services and vote on provincial matters

Sounds cool to me. Happy things worked out for your kid.

yureeka9

Rising Star
Platinum Member
:hmm:

I don't think discussing history honestly is shitting on someone's grave. I respect Ali more than just about any athlete in world history and was genuinely surprised to learn about this. I don't think it's an unmentionable fact. If I really wanted to shit on his grave, there would be other, more personal, routes to take. But this isn't about Ali being imperfect-- that's everybody. But his 1970s politics have been inescapable in the past few days and to go from that to supporting Reagan would be amazing from anyone in his or her right mind.
I think you're quoting the wrong person bruh. I didn't post an opinion about Ali's politics one way or the other. I was just laughing at the meme...:hmm::hmm::hmm:

Duece

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I still hate Trever Berbick for what he did to Ali in 1981

I hope Berbick is somewhere crying.