T.I. And Tiny & OMG Girlz Wins $71 Million jury award

jawnswoop

It's A Philly Thing
BGOL Investor
Screen-Shot-2023-05-28-at-11.35.37-AM-750x400.png

In a shocking ending to a long trial, T.I. and Tiny have lost their copyright infringement lawsuit against the L.O.L. Surprise! doll maker MGA Entertainment.While many agreed that the top-selling dolls resemble the former girl group, a jury sided with the powerhouse doll company.

Rapper T.I. and his wife Tiny initially sued MGA Entertainment for allegedly stealing the name, likeness, and trade dress of OMG Girlz, the pop trio Tiny founded in 2009 — when the company launched its “L.O.L. Surprise OMG” dolls in 2019.
ti.jpeg

The case first went to trial in January, but a mistrial was declared after T.I. and Tiny’s lawyer accused MGA of “racist cultural appropriation.”

The $100 million lawsuit went back to trial this month, and after arguments related to 31 potentially infringing dolls were made, the jury ultimately needed less than two hours to rule in favor of MGA Entertainment, Legal Affairs and Trials reported.

Following the verdict, MGA CEO Isaac Larian called T.I. and Tiny’s lawsuit a “shakedown.” “I’m not happy because I wasted a lot of time, energy — my employees’ time, energy — to deal with an extortion,” Larian said. “They knew from the beginning they don’t have a case, and they brought it anyways. And they picked on the wrong guy.”

knightmelodic

American fruit, Afrikan root.
BGOL Investor
images

Isaac Larian
Iranian-American businessman

Following the verdict, MGA CEO Isaac Larian called T.I. and Tiny’s lawsuit a “shakedown.” “I’m not happy because I wasted a lot of time, energy — my employees’ time, energy — to deal with an extortion,” Larian said. “They knew from the beginning they don’t have a case, and they brought it anyways. And they picked on the wrong guy.”

This motherfucker knew from the door he was chopping and he still went ahead and said 'fuck it they just a coupla ni*****. What they gonna do?'

pookie

Thinking of a Master Plan
BGOL Patreon Investor

90023773-13884627-image-m-6_1727156542383.jpg

90023803-13884627-image-a-7_1727156564619.jpg

90023797-13884627-image-a-9_1727156612724.jpg

90023793-13884627-T_I_and_Tiny_founded_the_group_in_2009_which_consisted_of_Tiny_s-m-13_1727156671730.jpg
I heard them talking about this this morning on the radio but they never mentioned T.I. or Tiny's name. I never heard of the OMG girlz or these dolls I just remember them saying these girls only problem now is splitting that 71 million dollars

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

The OMG Girlz is an American teen pop girl group. Their name is a play-on words, it represents being young ladies "Miss" that are "Guided" in positive ways.[1] Formed in 2009, by Tameka "Tiny" Cottle, the Atlanta-based girl group performed publicly for the first time on an episode of BET's Tiny and Toya reality television series.[2] They also have made appearances on the 2012 series T.I. and Tiny: The Family Hustle.[1] Their mission is to inspire women throughout the world and let them know they could stand together as friends,[1] teens, and young women. They are best known for their singles "Can't Stop Loving You", "Where the Boys At?", and "Gucci This (Gucci That)".

On December 31, 2017, the OMG Girlz reunited on stage for the first time in 2 years to perform as a special guest during Zonnique's opening set on the Great Xscape Tour with Xscape.

On July 12, 2023, The OMG Girlz officially reunited as a group. They announced the release date of their long awaited single Lover Boy.

DJCandle

BGOL Investor
I’m confused, did they win it or lose it? The title says they won it but the post reads that they lost it.

I’m guessing one of the 2 wasn’t updated?

jawnswoop

It's A Philly Thing
BGOL Investor
I’m confused, did they win it or lose it? The title says they won it but the post reads that they lost it.

I’m guessing one of the 2 wasn’t updated?
I updated the thread for a reason, they WON $71 million jury award.

Last edited:

doug777

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I was just watching him last night in the Roots remake.After the judgement he said his days of sweating on stage are over. That's something I don't understand, why do some of these old-timers continue to tour when they don't have to? Take the Rolling Stones, they all have more money than they can spend, their groupie days are far behind them, and they don't really like each other that much, so why are you touring?