Tech Debate: ‘There’s a reason it’s so cheap’: Shopper finds huge 98-inch ROKU TV at Walmart for $1,498 Good deal?

Coldchi

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
i was looking for an 85' inch RokuTV last year when walmart had them on sale for $998.
They flew off the shelves. I went to like 5 different walmarts trying to get one.
Eventually i settled for an 85' Google TV for about $50 cheaper.
So i wouldnt be surprised if a 98' TV is that cheap at all.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
i was looking for an 85' inch RokuTV last year when walmart had them on sale for $998.
They flew off the shelves. I went to like 5 different walmarts trying to get one.
Eventually i settled for an 85' Google TV for about $50 cheaper.
So i wouldnt be surprised if a 98' TV is that cheap at all.

How is the quality

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Ever taken apart a TV? Most of it is empty space.

If you can solder, you can usually fix a TV without having to replace.

Usually when it goes out it's just a blown capacitor. 5.00, power screwdriver and a soldering iron and you can fix.

YouTube right through it

well damn I could have used this information a few months ago.

I had 2 TVs a flat and a older tube model. STRANGEST thing? that old fashioned TV? looked as good or better as some flats. Folks would come to the crib confused. said it some magic on it since it was a WEDDING GIFT from a dearly departed family member.

Then all of sudden it started acting up. I found a repair shop which was NOT easy. They said it wasn't worth it to fix. So I said okay just keep it. They were like really. I said yeah but REMEBER who gvae it to you. They were a litle bit TOO happy. They did do some free repairs on my PC so we good. they just closed down the other day too.

REDLINE

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
A 98 inch tv makes me happy inside!

galv5Il.gif

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Ever taken apart a TV? Most of it is empty space.

If you can solder, you can usually fix a TV without having to replace.

Usually when it goes out it's just a blown capacitor. 5.00, power screwdriver and a soldering iron and you can fix.

YouTube right through it

By the way this may also be true of your A/C...when they try to sell you u a new system it may be a blown capacitor.

Tell the repairman who comes out to not bullshit you and if it's something small you'll pay him 150 or something to fix it rather than pay the company 10k or something for an unnecessary new system.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
my 65' is an LG,.......my 75' is a Samsung.....and my 85' is a TCL

my Samsung has the best clarity of them all to me. I had that LG pulled the Hulu app from their tvs.
I have the Hulu app :confused:

apparently it depends on the MODEL of the TV

Hulu is no longer streaming on 2015 and earlier LG TV models as of August 20th, 2019. For any additional inquiries, please contact help.hulu.com.​

this might be a fix

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
How is the quality
In short ONN is manufactured by Element for Walmart with a license from Roku.

For comparison a 98" Samsung is $2,499.99 after $1,500 off.

Big take aways, slower/lower processor which you'll notice when trying to load up apps.
Also, it won't be compatible with a lot of apps. Certain apps will update out compatibility sooner than with other tvs.

Terrible sound, which most tvs have, but reviews says it is very tinny.

My biggest issues are;
it's only 60hz, with a tv that big that refresh rate will be more noticeable. 120hz would be ideal.

The HDR gets terrible reviews. The contrast isn't great, shallow blacks and not as vivid of colors.....

No game mode. I don't game on my TV often, but being able to at times.

D24OHA

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
This ain’t the 90s and early 2000s…. Sony meant something 20 yrs ago..not anymore

It does. I have a 65" Sony that is impressive.

Sony used to make all of their own hardware, but not anymore. They get a lot of their hardware from other companies, Samsung/ LG......but their software, (the upscaling, the connectivity....etc)
That's where they shine. They stay rated among the best TVs

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Nah Sony’s TV’s are superior if you’re willing to pay, and I’m a Samsung TV fanboy
The key is you still can find a really nice tv that does the job without paying out your ass… I was a Sony vidcam guy back in late 90s/early 2000s they were hands down superior in the video world..now you can buy a decent vidcam , camera without it being Sony.. that’s what I mean.. b4 it wasn’t a lot of really good things that weren’t name brand back in the days now it’s been vastly improved in quality with other brands