Thanks Michael Bloomberg.. Thanks!!

Al Smith

Rogue Mod
OG Investor

HBCU medical programs get massive cash infusion from Bloomberg Philanthropies​

Todd A. Price Eduardo Cuevas
USA TODAY

NEW YORK − The presidents of America's four historically Black medical schools were invited to meet last week with Bloomberg Philanthropies in New York. They thought it would be a chance to celebrate a $100 million gift the foundation made to the schools in 2020 to help relieve their students' debt. Instead, they learned the foundation of entrepreneur and former New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg planned to make a new gift that left the presidents speechless.

On Tuesday, Bloomberg formally unveiled that his philanthropic organization would donate $600 million to four historically Black medical schools: $175 million each to Howard University College of Medicine, in Washington, D.C.; Morehouse School of Medicine, in Atlanta; and Meharry Medical College, in Nashville; and another $75 million to Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science, in Los Angeles. He announced the "history-making gift" in New York at the annual conference of the National Medical Association, an organization that has represented Black doctors since 1895.

"I’m excited for what this history-making gift will mean for Black physicians, Black medical school students and faculty and communities across the United States,” Dr. Yolanda Lawson, president of the National Medical Association, said in a statement. “This investment will directly improve the pipeline for Black physicians and help to close the health care disparity gap.”

Meharry Medical College in Nashville is one of the few historically Black medical schools in the United States.

The gift is part of Bloomberg Philanthropies' Greenwood Initiative, a program aimed at building wealth among Black Americans and redressing historic underfunding in Black communities. Along with the four medical schools, Bloomberg is donating $5 million to establish the Xavier Ochsner College of Medicine, in New Orleans. The new medical school is a partnership between the Xavier University School of Louisiana, a historically Black university renowned for producing graduates who go on to medical school, and Ochsner Health, a nonprofit in the region.

"We have much more to do to build a country where every person, regardless of race, has equal access to quality health care – and where students from all backgrounds can pursue their dreams," the former New York mayor, said in a statement.

Non-StopJFK2TAB

Rising Star
Platinum Member
After this move, I have more white people on my imaginary dining room wall than black people. I have a photo of Malcolm X, Mrs. Bezos, and now Mr. Bloomberg. His terminals are so good I have one in each room.

TheBigOne

Master Tittay Poster
Platinum Member
I know that Mike Bloomberg has someone who searches all the news sources and gives him a summary of articles every day by 9:00 am. I hope he gets to see the quote from BGOL tomorrow. @HNIC , maybe you can get a $mill too.

• Haha
Reactions: PJN