The Pizza Chain You Had No Idea Was The Biggest In The US

RoomService

Dinner is now being served.
BGOL Investor

The Pizza Chain You Had No Idea Was The Biggest In The US​

C.A. Pinkham
Sun, April 28, 2024 at 8:45 AM PDT·3 min read

a hunt brothers pizza

When you think of chain pizza places in the United States, there are a few big names that immediately spring to mind. Maybe you thought of the storied history of Domino's Pizza, the chain that invented the 30-minutes-or-less pizza delivery guarantee. Or maybe Pizza Hut, whose name was created out of convenience, is what came to mind. Papa John's, Little Caesars, or even Sbarro might've come up. Heck, maybe you're even a pizza hipster and you thought of Shakey's Pizza, the first pizza chain in America.

None of these, though, are the biggest pizza chain in the country by total number of locations -- nor are any of them particularly close. Though Domino's and Pizza Hut wage war over positions two and three as the biggest name in chain pizza with nearly 7,000 spots each, another company vastly outpaces them with around 9,700 locations: Hunt Brothers Pizza. What's more, the company has done it by eschewing every rule its direct competitors espouse, making it easier for franchisees to get in on the game, and spreading their product's availability through the use of gas stations and convenience stores.
Read more: The 101 Best Pizzas In America

Hunt Brothers Targets Underserved Markets​

world map Hunt Bros pizza

world map Hunt Bros pizza - Instagram/huntbrotherspizza
Hunt Brothers does share one thing in common with its direct competitors Pizza Hut (Wichita, Kansas) and Domino's (Ypsilanti, Michigan): Its roots are in the Midwest. In 1962, Evansville, Indiana siblings Don, Lonnie, Jim, and Charlie Hunt founded a wholesale chain called Pepe's Pizza that sold its pies to places like bowling alleys, drive-in movie theaters, and restaurants. Though the brothers eventually sold the original business in 1981, they came back together to form a new chain a decade later: Hunt Brothers, based in Nashville, Tennessee. But its route to success from there was wildly unlike that of any of its industry competitors.

Hunt Brothers, alone among its peers, doesn't build free-standing locations. Instead, it sets out to take advantage of existing architecture, putting pizza counters in existing gas stations and convenience stores across the South and Midwest, particularly in rural areas underserved by other chains. Its business arrangement is unusual: To take advantage of what's already there, it offers initial equipment for rock bottom prices (something around $10,000) to these businesses, allowing those stores to seamlessly begin cooking and selling pre-made frozen pizzas right alongside its fishing bait and gasoline.

Hunt Brothers Has A Unique Business Model​

Hunt Brothers sponsored NASCAR

Hunt Brothers sponsored NASCAR - Meg Oliphant/Getty Images

The most amazing thing about Hunt Brothers, though, is that it dodges the trappings that are wildly lucrative for the parent company but that tend to make franchisees go belly-up. Hunt Brothers doesn't charge any franchising, advertising, or royalty fees, essentially unheard of in the industry; they sell ingredients to their franchises, but that's it. Hunt Brothers also doesn't require a contract; operators can drop out at any time. And it doesn't oversaturate the market; each location that sells Hunt Brothers has its own protected territory. Contrast this with, say, Subway (which has no protected territory, the biggest reason many of its franchises fail), and you start to see how Hunt Brothers has carved out a unique niche for itself.

Technically, Hunt Brothers still isn't national; it's only available in 32 states and currently doesn't operate in New England or anywhere west of the Rocky Mountains. The fact that it's able to have so many locations without appearing from coast to coast is due to the clever marketing and targeted business approach of its founders, who have aligned themselves with Southern culture, becoming heavily involved with NASCAR and even sponsoring a high-profile team and multiple cup-winning drivers.

Hunt Brothers may not have the broad profit numbers of some of its larger competitors like Domino's and Pizza Hut, but it operates a business model that is remarkably low-risk and steadily dependable. More companies could stand to learn from that idea.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Seems like the perfect thread to drop this segment in.. how hot honey was created and became a 40 million dollar a yr condiment brand

King_of_Posts

Rising Star
Registered
I've seen those shits around when I visit my mom in Alabama. Even tried it once and I was NOT impressed.

They have the most locations because they piggyback off of existing businesses i.e. gas stations. The pizza is pretty bad. Easily worse than all the big chains who have their own separate locations and more quality control.

Quality over quantity for me.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I've seen those shits around when I visit my mom in Alabama. Even tried it once and I was NOT impressed.

They have the most locations because they piggyback off of existing businesses i.e. gas stations. The pizza is pretty bad. Easily worse than all the big chains who have their own separate locations and more quality control.

Quality over quantity for me.
Damn so if they actually cared about the product and made it decent or quality they actually would make much more noise by what you saying.. but since they a quantity money making system they unfortunately will just be pigeonholed

King_of_Posts

Rising Star
Registered
Damn so if they actually cared about the product and made it decent or quality they actually would make much more noise by what you saying.. but since they a quantity money making system they unfortunately will just be pigeonholed
Yeah man. You have these gas station workers who they give these ready-made pizza slices to who warm them up and they just chill under some heat lamp. I'm sure they have directions how long they have them there, but Hunt Brothers have no idea what they are really doing in there.

I have a friend who worked at a gas station when he was like 19 or 20 and the station has a policy that coffee would be made fresh every 20 minutes. He told me and I've seen him make one pot for his entire 8hr shift lol....or he will make another one only if that one runs out .

Like or hate the big chains, but that shit would NEVER fly there. And the pizza at those chains are made to order.

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Yeah man. You have these has station workers who they give these ready-made pizza slices to who warm them up and they just chill under some heat lamp. I'm sure they have directions how long they have them there, but Hunt Brothers have no idea what they are really doing in there.

I have a friend who worked at a gas station when he was like 19 or 20 and the station has a policy that coffee would be made fresh every 20 minutes. He told me and I've seen him make over pot for his entire 8hr shift lol....or he will make another one only if that one runs out .

Like or hate the big chains, but that shit would NEVER fly there. And the pizza at those chains are made to order.
Sounds like how 7-11 be having their pizzas.. that lamp shit

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
The article said they basically send the franchisee frozen pizzas to heat them up
Yea that’s what they do…

But it’s likely the best frozen pizza you’d find.

If they’d open up a store, they’d put dominos and pizza hunt to shame…

I think Pizza Hut Box deals square shape pizzas are pre made

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Yea that’s what they do…

But it’s likely the best frozen pizza you’d find.

If they’d open up a store, they’d put dominos and pizza hunt to shame…

I think Pizza Hut Box deals square shape pizzas are pre made
Someone else said they taste like shit, you saying they taste good. I never had it so couldn’t tell you if it’s nay or yay.. haven’t had Pizza Hut since the late 90s and everybody said it definitely don’t taste the same. I think dominoes is garbage. Till this day I’m mad Pizza Hut didn’t wipe them nigs off the planet. They had one job fucking deliver and they were on some sit down shit. They lost the pizza wars straight off that.. blockbuster not utilizing streaming and buying Netflix ended them fucking Pizza Hut not being delivery friendly knocked them out the box smh

Mask

"OneOfTheBest"
Platinum Member
Someone else said they taste like shit, you saying they taste good. I never had it so couldn’t tell you if it’s nay or yay.. haven’t had Pizza Hut since the late 90s and everybody said it definitely don’t taste the same. I think dominoes is garbage. Till this day I’m mad Pizza Hut didn’t wipe them nigs off the planet. They had one job fucking deliver and they were on some sit down shit. They lost the pizza wars straight off that.. blockbuster not utilizing streaming and buying Netflix ended them fucking Pizza Hut not being delivery friendly knocked them out the box smh
Overall the pizza franchises of old ain’t it..

Yes I have no problem with Hunts pizza.
When I take a trip to Lafayette or Texas… I definitely don’t eat because I’m stop on the way two slices.
I’ve even waited until they cooked fresh ones.

Remember everyone don’t like everything…

850credit

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Always saw their warehouse or maybe corporate offices in Nashville and figured it was some Midwest shit. Never tried it but seemed like big business

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I always seem them driving to Florida.

Man them shits look terrible.

You know how when Optimus Prime died his whole body turned gray?

Them pizzas always look like they bout 5 minutes away from being totally black and white. Just dull and drained of color and vitality.
lol yep sound like 7-11 pizza if it ain’t fresh… definitely see the market they probably cornered.. late night college crowd, drunk crowd, people on the road and wanted something quick to eat, truckers, lil kids who are walking in the station with their parents ( kids love pizza and get excited over seeing it )… cardboard pizza demographic for the win

King_of_Posts

Rising Star
Registered
I always seem them driving to Florida.

Man them shits look terrible.

You know how when Optimus Prime died his whole body turned gray?

Them pizzas always look like they bout 5 minutes away from being totally black and white. Just dull and drained of color and vitality.

Man......

On a side note, I saw the Transformers movie in a movie theater when I was 5 years old and I cried like a lil bitch when Prime turned gray and died :lol: .

I wasn't the only one. The theater was full of kids crying and parents trying to console them and shit smh!!!!

tallblacknyc

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Man......

On a side note, I saw the Transformers movie in a movie theater when I was 5 years old and I cried like a lil bitch when Prime turned gray and died :lol: .

I wasn't the only one. The theater was full of kids crying and parents trying to console them and shit smh!!!!
Lol I saw transformers at the theater also. When Optimus died I was like oh well I was more pissed when they killed my favorite transformer of all time starscream . Fuck you Megatron/Galvatron.. the writers knew they made a mistake and brought ghost starscream back later on in the series

King_of_Posts

Rising Star
Registered
Lol I saw transformers at the theater also. When Optimus died I was like oh well I was more pissed when they killed my favorite transformer of all time starscream . Fuck you Megatron/Galvatron.. the writers knew they made a mistake and brought ghost starscream back later on in the series
You handled that shit better than I did lol. My dad couldn't get me to stop crying smh. Got ice cream after and I was halfway crying in Baskin Robbins.

I like starscream too. He can be dirty as fuck also but is hilarious at the same time.

BigDaddyBuk

still not dizzy.
Platinum Member
Man......

The reason for killing Prime...was that Hasbro's executive board wanted to sell new Transformers without having to keep all the old molds for generation 1.

They seriously undervalued the fandom they'd built and misread the reaction they'd have to it.

Hell I was a teenager when that movie came out and I was fucking pissed. Til this day not one mafugga gives one raggedy ass damn about Rodimus Prime.

34real

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Interesting,I wouldn't of known the name but I'm sure I've seen em and ate them before but it's gas station pizza and when your on the go or got kids it's good enough until we get to where ever we're headed.