The standard rate at Black barbershops is now $35-$40

the13thround

Rising Star
Platinum Member
My barbershop just went up to $25 for a standard haircut.
I always tip $5 on top of the service, but I can't do it anymore.
There's just no way to justify paying $30 for a taper fade.
I can't believe it costs this much to get a haircut now. :smh:

Since I don't know how to cut my own shit, I'd been looking for alternatives.
So a friend of mine told me he goes to the barber college near his house to get his haircuts for $5.
He said they give fire ass haircuts and most of the students have been cutting hair for years, but just going to school to do it LEGALLY.
So I took his advice and went to one too.
The haircut I got was actually better than my "go-to" barber for the last five years. :lol:
Not to mention I saved $20.
No talking on the cell phone, random arguments, smoke breaks or walking next door to the store.
I was in and out.
I'm not going to my barbershop ever again.

clitsational

Rising Star
Platinum Member
gillette-fusion-proglide-flexball-shaver___19.jpg

:cool:

Deezz

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Purchased clippers about 5 years ago and never looked back... was running about $25 back then with the tip included.

EXACTLY!!! Get your own clippers and cut your own damn hair.

Pro-Tip - Buy quality clippers and a quality trimmer! You might spend $60-$100 for some decent clippers/trimmers, but it's well worth the investment.

Last edited:

CrucialOne

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
From 1987-2010 I paid $10. The price went up to $15 in 2011. In 2018 I started paying $20. I too, always tip $5. However, today I'm in Mississippi for my daughter's graduation and I got a cut that was $25. Still, I tipped $5.

I've had the same barber in Los Angeles for the last 32 years who I have to drive 40 minutes to get to, the whole while I'm hoping he doesn't have a long line. Today - my daughter used an app, made me an appointment, and I was in and out in 35 minutes. The young man who cut my hair today may have convinced me to look for someone closer to the house once I get back home.

Damn, I'm going to miss the fellas.:rolleyes:

$moneyPit$

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Most places In the 5 boroughs In NY is usually 20 plus 5 for the tip depending on what you want done. I know a lot of shops rent the chair to the barber(don,t remember If It's per month or week, but the rental price Is fairly high) and want them to have a valid license. I've seen cats without a license get dimed out, the inspectors would come and the cat would have to leave or else the shop would get closed down.

xxironxx

PhD in Trollin
BGOL Investor
My barbershop just went up to $25 for a standard haircut.
I always tip $5 on top of the service, but I can't do it anymore.
There's just no way to justify paying $30 for a taper fade.
I can't believe it costs this much to get a haircut now. :smh:

Since I don't know how to cut my own shit, I'd been looking for alternatives.
So a friend of mine told me he goes to the barber college near his house to get his haircuts for $5.
He said they give fire ass haircuts and most of the students have been cutting hair for years, but just going to school to do it LEGALLY.
So I took his advice and went to one too.
The haircut I got was actually better than my "go-to" barber for the last five years. :lol:
Not to mention I saved $20.
No talking on the cell phone, random arguments, smoke breaks or walking next door to the store.
I was in and out.
I'm not going to my barbershop ever again.

Lol where you at nigga. Mine just did the sane thang

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
See this what's wrong with the black community we don't support each other.

We go give our money to Lin Yung Fuk and 'em instead to cut our hair or up the street to the Puerto Rican barbershop or the white girl at super cuts.

But won't give our local barber who we been going to for years $30 for a cut.

Man that's what's wrong with our community.

If my barber is black and he say you gotta pay $100 for a cut you should pay cuz that means you support black business if you don't your against the black community.

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
You not getting a haircut here in Jersey for under $20 unless a fuckin junkie doing it. Mine is $25 and I tip my barber $5. Get my shit done every Friday. Some of you muthafuckas cheap as hell. Where the hell you getting your breakfast cereal from the fuckin food bank? :smh: Your grandmothers are ashamed of you. :smh:

XC7Zn3.jpg

the13thround

Rising Star
Platinum Member
See this what's wrong with the black community we don't support each other.

We go give our money to Lin Yung Fuk and 'em instead to cut our hair or up the street to the Puerto Rican barbershop or the white girl at super cuts.

But won't give our local barber who we been going to for years $30 for a cut.

Man that's what's wrong with our community.

If my barber is black and he say you gotta pay $100 for a cut you should pay cuz that means you support black business if you don't your against the black community.
The barber college I went for to this haircut is BLACK.
Its the oldest barber/beauty college in Texas. (Franklin Barber/Beauty School)
So I'm good.

the13thround

Rising Star
Platinum Member
You not getting a haircut here in Jersey for under $20 unless a fuckin junkie doing it. Mine is $25 and I tip my barber $5. Get my shit done every Friday. Some of you muthafuckas cheap as hell. Where the hell you getting your breakfast cereal from the fuckin food bank? :smh: Your grandmothers are ashamed of you. :smh:
Cost of living here in Texas is not like NY/NJ so $30 is understandable.
If haircuts are $25 up North, they should at least $15 here.
Hell I flew into JFK just two months ago and fuckin cheeseburger meal at McDonalds in the airport was $10 dollars.

bgbtylvr

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
That’s Atlanta all day. Especially the good spots. Now you can find a low key spot for around $20, and there’s a spot with old men cuttin for $15. Lmao! I can’t cut my own but when I have to travel for work I wanna be fresh so I’ll hit the $20 spot.