Today Is The 35 Anniversary of West Philadelphia MOVE Liberation Bombing

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
Shit was absolutely ridiculous and they blamed Mayer Wilson Goode for it all when it was ultimately the decision of police commissioner George Sambor. :angry: :angry:

fWyEYg.jpg

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
@jack walsh13 and you still rep philly after knowing about this. you should be ashamed of yourself.
do you know what MOVE was about?? Do you know how much of a pain in the ass they were to the Black People they lived around??

these weren't revolutionaries...it was a fucking cult... and they created more problems than they addressed in their time.

If you didn't LIVE in those neighborhoods around them at that time then you can't talk shit about what happened.

Those neighbors were complaining to EVERYONE about how disruptive they were. That standoff was not only inevitable but PROVOKED by MOVE.

Entrepronegro

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
do you know what MOVE was about?? Do you know how much of a pain in the ass they were to the Black People they lived around??

these weren't revolutionaries...it was a fucking cult... and they created more problems than they addressed in their time.

If you didn't LIVE in those neighborhoods around them at that time then you can't talk shit about what happened.

Those neighbors were complaining to EVERYONE about how disruptive they were. That standoff was not only inevitable but PROVOKED by MOVE.
They still didn't deserve to get bombed. Innocent kids died too. The police should have found a better way to handle the situation.

durham

Rising Star
Platinum Member
Thats not accurate. Research that more carefully.

What is not accurate? I don't mind being wrong and learning something new. Wasn't this the Mayor at the time

Woodrow Wilson Goode Sr.

wilson-goode-1-sized.jpg

Not everyone in Philly felt that way, and I sure as hell don't think killing KIDS and women is a viable solutions to some perceived nuisance.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
They still didn't deserve to get bombed. Innocent kids died too. The police should have found a better way to handle the situation.
What is not accurate? I don't mind being wrong and learning something new. Wasn't this the Mayor at the time

Woodrow Wilson Goode Sr.

wilson-goode-1-sized.jpg

Not everyone in Philly felt that way, and I sure as hell don't think killing KIDS and women is a viable solutions to some perceived nuisance.
yes goode was the mayor....and yes dropping a satchel charge on the bunker they made on the roof was a stupid idea. But like I said the people who lived in those blocks had complained to everyone from chief of police to the mayor BEFORE shit kicked off...they wanted MOVE out of there and had been complaining for months.

And that perceived nuisance you talk about ranges from having dead animal carcasses in the backyard (back to nature movement remember) to blasting their bullshit rhetoric on loudspeakers during the day. to various personal clashes with neighbors...

What happened on Osage Ave was basically a replay of the clash they had with police when they were at Powelton Village in 1977 or 78

Again I'm not saying kids should have been burned up...I'm saying before the black radicals crew shows up talking their shit...ya''ll need to know MOVE INSTIGATED THAT BULLSHIT and are just as responsible for putting kids in danger as the cops. Again if you ARE UNDER 40 YEARS OLD and weren't there...or know people who lived in those blocks then you don't have a dog in the fight. AND DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT AND I'LL TELL ANYONE THAT.

xxxbishopxxx

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
yes goode was the mayor....and yes dropping a satchel charge on the bunker they made on the roof was a stupid idea. But like I said the people who lived in those blocks had complained to everyone from chief of police to the mayor BEFORE shit kicked off...they wanted MOVE out of there and had been complaining for months.

And that perceived nuisance you talk about ranges from having dead animal carcasses in the backyard (back to nature movement remember) to blasting their bullshit rhetoric on loudspeakers during the day. to various personal clashes with neighbors...

What happened on Osage Ave was basically a replay of the clash they had with police when they were at Powelton Village in 1977 or 78

Again I'm not saying kids should have been burned up...I'm saying before the black radicals crew shows up talking their shit...ya''ll need to know MOVE INSTIGATED THAT BULLSHIT and are just as responsible for putting kids in danger as the cops. Again if you ARE UNDER 40 YEARS OLD and weren't there...or know people who lived in those blocks then you don't have a dog in the fight. AND DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT AND I'LL TELL ANYONE THAT.
You are correct. MOVE wasn't seen as some off shoot of the Black Panthers out to help the hood. They were considered a nuisance, and EVERYBODY wanted those people out of the area. However, don't be too mad at folks that didn't know or don't remember that part of it. Cause at the end of the day, the police burned down an entire neighborhood. Plus the immediate reaction from the cops was not a good look to say the least.

durham

Rising Star
Platinum Member
You are correct. MOVE wasn't seen as some off shoot of the Black Panthers out to help the hood. They were considered a nuisance, and EVERYBODY wanted those people out of the area. However, don't be too mad at folks that didn't know or don't remember that part of it. Cause at the end of the day, the police burned down an entire neighborhood. Plus the immediate reaction from the cops was not a good look to say the least.

Yall motherfuckers down with Black people getting bombed to death, WTF is wrong with yall:angry::smh::angry::smh::angry:

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
I just take issue with revisionist history or cherrypicking history, making MOVE out to be something they were NOT. The reality and history of that situation was....as violent and excessive as the Philadelphia police were and could be especially in the 60s, 70s and 80s...the reality was, cops didn't roll up on that block and say we're gonna firebomb some niggas today for the hell of it. That just wasn't the situation there. They were totally responsible for every wrong action they took that day no doubt. But they were reacting to something that was initiated by MOVE and if we're going to talk about that situation then lets talk about the whole situation.

The thread title saying MOVE LIBERATION gives young cats who weren't there and didn't experience that... the impression that MOVE was on the level of the Civil Rights organizations of the 60s. Even if they had honorable intentions and ideals... their execution of that was completely fucked up. Did kids deserve to be put in harm's way? HELL NO but MOVE takes 50% of the responsibility for that. That's the true history of that situation.

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor

Woodrow Wilson Goode Sr.

wilson-goode-1-sized.jpg

Oh your right about Goode being the mayor yes. Goode DID NOT GIVE the okay for this though. Where I fault him at is not doing more to stop it. But it certainly was not his idea to do this. That's what often gets lost when this story is told nationally. Also as someone pointed out, MOVE was a pain in the ass to other residents in the neighborhood. Another story that either isn't completely told or ignored. My coworker who now lives in West Philly lived in that neighborhood with them. Right next door in fact. They moved literally 3 months before the bombing incident. MOVE members were nasty as fuck. Had all kinds of animals shitting all in the yard, muthafuckas was literally pissing and shitting in their front lawns themselves. Walking around naked outside stankin like a muthafucka. Never took showers. Who the fuck wants to live next to people like that? Now you shouldn't bomb the neighborhood as a result no but in some stories they've been made to look like cult heroes when in fact anyone locally knows they were triflin' pain in the asses.

Ytlgzr.jpg

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Oh your right about Goode being the mayor yes. Goode DID NOT GIVE the okay for this though. Where I fault him at is not doing more to stop it. But it certainly was not his idea to do this. That's what often gets lost when this story is told nationally. Also as someone pointed out, MOVE was a pain in the ass to other residents in the neighborhood. Another story that either isn't completely told or ignored. My coworker who now lives in West Philly lived in that neighborhood with them. Right next door in fact. They moved literally 3 months before the bombing incident. MOVE members were nasty as fuck. Had all kinds of animals shitting all in the yard, muthafuckas was literally pissing and shitting in their front lawns themselves. Walking around naked outside stankin like a muthafucka. Never took showers. Who the fuck wants to live next to people like that? Now you shouldn't bomb the neighborhood as a result no but in some stories they've been made to look like cult heroes when in fact anyone locally knows they were triflin' pain in the asses.

Ytlgzr.jpg

thats what I take issue with...fuck the police for taking actions that destroyed peoples lives and property on many levels but MOVE is NOT the group to hold up like that.

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor

So it’s was ok for them to drop a bomb on a neighborhood killing women and children because MOVE was a nuisance to the neighborhood that neighbors complained about and they weren’t good revolutionaries.

Got it.

Shaka54

FKA Shaka38
Platinum Member
This was a tragic incident. I can remember the news coverage of it and the conversations at home and in Barbershops.

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
So it’s was ok for them to drop a bomb on a neighborhood killing women and children because MOVE was a nuisance to the neighborhood that neighbors complained about and they weren’t good revolutionaries.

Got it.
they weren't revolutionaries... and post where I said it was ok to drop a bomb on a neighborhood?

Tell us what you know about that makes you think they were revolutionaries or some liberation group?

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
they weren't revolutionaries... and post where I said it was ok to drop a bomb on a neighborhood?

Tell us what you know about that makes you think they were revolutionaries or some liberation group?
Nigga you just justified the extreme murder of innocent women and children because they were nuisance to their neighborhood.

And somehow because they weren't model revolutionaries or a liberation group we are supposed to care less about their suffering and deaths. :smh:

GTFOH!

geechiedan

Rising Star
BGOL Investor
Nigga you just justified the extreme murder of innocent women and children because they were nuisance to their neighborhood.

And somehow because they weren't model revolutionaries or a liberation group we are supposed to care less about their suffering and deaths. :smh:

GTFOH!
If you were REALLY upset at the murder of innocent women and children then you would be as mad at john africa and the rest of them for putting innocent women and children in that position..but selective outrage is selective :rolleyes2: :rolleyes2: :rolleyes2:

Mello Mello

Ballz of Adamantium
BGOL Investor
If you were REALLY upset at the murder of innocent women and children then you would be as mad at john africa and the rest of them for putting innocent women and children in that position..but selective outrage is selective :rolleyes2: :rolleyes2: :rolleyes2:

You a pitiful negro.

deputy dawg

~wait a cotton pickin' minute...
BGOL Investor

I lived in Philly then. The bombing was horrible and avoidable.
The shoddy construction of the replacement homes was salt in the wound of the displaced MOVE neighbors.
Seeing the whole block of those row houses burned down, THEIR HOMES, had to be traumatizing.

4P2SRDSSNBEUTDOS5RR3L6ERTU.jpg

despite that a street was named after Goode a couple of years ago, but the people protested/didn't forgive or forget.
(bomb drop at :55 second mark)

the story from MOVE perspective:

words from someone who lived there.

opinions on Mayor Goode:

The MOVE confrontation in 1977-78 vs Mayor Frank Rizzo:

Last edited:

jack walsh13

Jack Walsh 13
BGOL Investor
I lived in Philly then. The bombing was horrible and avoidable.
The shoddy construction of the replacement homes was salt in the wound of the displaced MOVE neighbors.
Seeing the whole block of those row houses burned down, THEIR HOMES, had to be traumatizing.

4P2SRDSSNBEUTDOS5RR3L6ERTU.jpg

despite that a street was named after Goode a couple of years ago, but the people protested/didn't forgive or forget.
(bomb drop at :55 second mark)

the story from MOVE perspective:

words from someone who lived there.

opinions on Mayor Goode:

The MOVE confrontation in 1977-78 vs Mayor Frank Rizzo:

That's another thing that was real fucked up that not alot of people talk about was the bullshit reconstruction of the homes in the aftermath. Pennsylvania has a history of crooked politicians and I'm willing to bet money was stolen from the insurance at some point. :smh:

0Zfnb4.jpg

Lexx Diamond

Art Lover ❤️ Sex Addict®™
Staff member
The Mayor ordered that the people be removed from that address. However police could not easily scare them off. That is when Police Commissioner Gregore J. Sambor, ordered a bomb to be dropped on the MOVE organization. The police commissioner also ordered the City Fire Department to stand down for more than an hour while the fire spread and left more than 250 people homeless. Below is picture of that devil Gregore J. Sambor.

8350218daa68f9eb47ac66e6249610f7.png