TV Discussion: HBO - The White Lotus

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Checked out the season 2 premiere of The White Lotus yesterday. Enjoyed it. Season 1 aired last year over the course of 6 episodes. Season 2 is listed as 7 episodes running from Oct. - December 2022.

Fave characters thus far include Aubrey Plaza as "Harper", the hotel manager, the 80yo grandpa, and the main prostitute.

The season starts off for 5 - 10 mins, then flashes back to one week earlier.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
I'm on episode 5

I can't say this season is BETTER

But it came back with vengeance

I wonder how long they can highlight horrible white folk each season?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Good lawd I do not like ANY ONE of these characters

Nope not a one

They are all miserable people

But I feel like I KNOW someone like each of them in my life or at least USED to.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Beatrice Grannò Played Those White Lotus Piano Scenes Like She Was Lady Gaga
By Devon Ivie, a Vulture writer covering classic rock and the small screen
Photo: Stefania D’Alessandro/Getty Images
As Bert Cooper once reminded us, the stars belong to everyone, including those working in and around a five-star Sicilian resort. Nobody at The White Lotus learned that better this season than Mia (Beatrice Grannò), a local woman who, over the course of seven episodes, learns to empower herself to get what she wants: a permanent gig as the hotel’s lounge singer and pianist. Sure, it might not seem that glitzy of a deal. And the jury’s out on how good of a performer she actually is. (“I love to sing like Phoebe Bridgers. It was really challenging for me,” Grannò says.) But she dreamed, hustled, and, yes, fucked her way to the top of the tourist-entertainment food chain with the encouragement of her best friend, Lucia (Simona Tabasco), the pair of whom Grannò likens to fairies leaving a trail of magic wherever they go (including helping Sabrina Impacciatore’s hotel manager, Valentina, embrace her sexuality). It makes sense that the final scene shows the BFFs taking a triumphant walk down the street, White Lotus guests long departed and depleted, and relishing their new riches.
A lively evening newsletter about everything that just happened.

I really appreciated that Mia and Lucia’s ending embodied the “let’s scam men and walk off into the sunset together” ethos.
In the end, they managed to get what they wanted. They’re the winners, even if it’s not a competition. But they definitely won. They used each others’ energies to get what they wanted.
At the beginning, Mia is much more introverted and romantic. Kind of blocked off. Lucia is free, and she pushes Mia to get what she wants. There’s this moment when they’re talking to each other and Lucia is very vulnerable, telling Mia she’s unhappy with what she’s doing. And in that exact moment, Mia changed her mind and said, “No, what we’re doing is great.” Mia becomes more aware of her possibilities in life and possibilities with her body.

What do you think changed for Mia, as far as her opinion on using sex for money and status?
I think there’s a moment in your brain, especially when you’re young and don’t know what you’re doing. Mia is very impulsive, and when she realizes it’s the only thing she can offer … or she realizes it’s easy to have sex with the pianist, it’s quite fun the way she does it: This is what needs to be done in order to get there. Mia is obviously different from Lucia. She doesn’t know how to be sexy, but she has a big heart. When I auditioned for the show, Mike wanted me to read the script where Mia seduces Valentina. I remember asking him, “Is she manipulating her and being mean?” Mike was like, “Technically yes, but she’s being genuinely nice. It’s an equal exchange of interests.”
What did Mia ultimately want?
She dreams of being a musician. A lot of people think the only thing you can do is try to get signed and be famous. But the reality is that playing music in small places or teaching is a win. Mia is happy because she’s able to get money doing what she loves. But it’s also about becoming more aware of herself — getting self-confidence and overcoming fears of singing in front of people. She was ambitious. She didn’t doubt herself.
It’s funny, I had so many friends who were like, “Why does Mia dream of being a hotel lobby singer?” Well, she has to start somewhere.
It’s quite funny that she’s fascinated by Giuseppe the pianist and what he does. It’s very lame of her: Oh, I’d love to do that.
Lucia and Mia are there for a reason. They’re two fairies. Valentina learned how to be more open with her sexuality thanks to Mia, and at the same time, Lucia brought danger to a lot of the couples and brought them back together. They’re messy and chaotic, but they’re pretty magical.
I like that Mia can be both magical and dorky in your eyes.
When she plays that piano, she thinks she’s doing a Lady Gaga concert. She’s really, like … belting that voice. When I read the script and saw all the songs I was singing, I was like, Okay, this is jazz and lounge music. I’m a folk singer — my voice is soft. I prepared my jazzy lounge voice, but when Mike White first heard me perform, he was like, “Absolutely not, she’s not that sophisticated or else she already would’ve been working here. She doesn’t know what she’s doing. She’s a little girl.” He told me I had to show off but also be disturbing. I worked with Este Haim and she also told me, “You have to sing it big! Belt that voice!” [Laughs.] If you ever listen to my music, I whisper. I love to sing like Phoebe Bridgers. It was really challenging for me, but Este helped me so much. I had so much fun being like, “Ahhhhhhhh!”
How else did you figure out her musical style?
She just wants to be heard. When she sings “The Best Things in Life Are Free,” she wants to show people she has something to offer. She is here. When you’re really young, you don’t understand that less is more. She’s adorable in that way.

Would you noodle on the piano in between takes?
Definitely not. I don’t want people to stop whatever they need to do to clap for me. [Laughs.] I think Mia would definitely play the piano at an airport, though. Just take over an open piano.
Why do you think it was important for the very last shot of the series to be Mia and Lucia walking down the street and embracing?
I found it really nice that Mike brought back the theme that the best things in life are free. It describes Lucia and Mia’s relationship well. They’re very close, best friends, and their love is free. They arrived at the hotel and got what they wanted and walked away happy. It’s important because they’re both hookers in two different ways — they’re never victims and they always have pride, which you don’t always see. I think Mia and Lucia brought the light to the show. Everything is emotional in the end, but when you see best friends walking together, it’s happy. That was our last day of filming, too. We were sad to be leaving each other in real life.
I thought “The Best Things in Life Are Free” was an inspired choice to accompany them for that scene. What does the song represent to Mia and Lucia?
I don’t think this show has a layer of “I want to teach you this.” There’s no bigger lesson. For Mia and Lucia, they think that if you really want to fix something, you have to break it. Only then can it be built back. They ruin every relationship at the hotel, but they put them in the position to be built back up.
The man who trails Lucia, and appears to be a menacing presence for several episodes, is revealed to be in on the scam and friendly with the ladies. Were you two given a specific answer as to who Alessio was?
Mike told us he’s one of their close friends who lives in Taormina and works at another hotel. It’s a small place. Everybody knows each other. I like to think Lucia has done her thing at that hotel, too, with Alessio pretending to be her pimp. I’m sure they gave him some money for helping them out.
How do you envision Mia and Valentina’s relationship progressing? Are they hitting up the gay clubs together?
I liked when Mia told her, “I can’t be your girlfriend now, but we can go out and be friends.” I imagine Mia walking into a club and helping her have fun. Valentina’s character is beautiful. She starts off closed and aggressive and ends up being the sweetest woman. In the finale when Mia shows up at the front desk in that crazy green dress, she thinks she’s a star now with all of that makeup. And Valentina looks so happy about it, too.
What lingering questions do you have after watching the finale?
Did Daphne and Ethan have sex on that beach? I’ve been thinking about that a lot. It comes right after Daphne saying, “You don’t need to know everything about a person to love them. A little mystery is sexy.” And then they go off to the island. It’s a tough call. There’s a lot of poetry in scenes. I would also go back and apologize to Albie. “I’m so sorry. If you want, you can be my boyfriend.”
How is Mia spending her share of the €50,000?
She’ll pay musicians to record her album! She can hire the best bass player in Sicily.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The White Lotus’s Will Sharpe Thinks Cameron Is Trying to Sabotage Ethan
By Jason P. Frank@jasonspank
Photo: Amy Sussman/Getty Images
Ethan Spiller is spiraling. Once cool, calm, and collected (perhaps too much so), Will Sharpe’s husband to Aubrey Plaza’s Harper can’t stop imagining his wife being railed by his college roommate, can’t convince his wife he didn’t cheat on her, and, worst of all, can’t find any spark left in their relationship. While their travel partners Cameron (Theo James) and his wife, Daphne (Meghann Fahy), lust after each other all around Taormina, Sicily has become a paranoia-inducing hell on Earth for the Spillers in season two of Mike White’s The White Lotus. What started as a happy-enough vacation with a vaguely annoying couple has led to the collapse of a marriage — and not the one Harper began the vacation looking for cracks in. “The deeper fear is, Are we falling out of love?” says Sharpe. “But alongside that is this question of, Are we still physically attracted to each other?

I want to go back to something that happened earlier in the season that reads differently later on: Ethan’s blasé reaction to Cameron undressing in front of Harper. Ethan confronts Cameron about it in the latest episode, so we know it stuck with him. How did you read his initial reaction?
In one early conversation with Mike, we were trying to think about how they ended up on this vacation, in this terrifying matrix. Cameron is someone who’s grown up in privilege and has always been wealthy, whereas Ethan had to fight for more. He got into college because he was smart. He made the money because he’s smart. So this luxury vacation is like, Maybe I deserve a piece of that.

My impression is that before Ethan came on the vacation, he’d been crazy busy at work, so when they arrive, it takes him a minute to catch up and reengage with his actual life. Harper is quicker to see all the cracks in Cameron and Daphne’s relationship, but Harper is also the first to question their own relationship, which is terrifying for Ethan. What starts to bubble through is that he’s also worried they’re not as good as they tell themselves they are. When she confronts him with that, he’s not ready. He’s not ready to imagine that his friend Cameron is still the exact same guy if not worse. He’s scared of what it could mean about the rest of the vacation, and he’s scared of confronting the cracks in his own relationship.
It’s a very up-front confrontation, when there have previously been a lot of sideswipes in this foursome. What is Ethan trying to accomplish with that directness?
He can’t help it. Ethan is like a pot that is gradually boiling — he internalizes so much that, at some point, it’s got to come out. He’s so furious at the thought of it, and he’s trying to hold on to what makes him a good person. There’s also a gradual feeling of realizing that he has something to fight for and that he wants to fight for it when the time comes.
So we know he has these neuroses around Cameron, or at least had them at one point. Did those play into why he’s there?
That’s something Harper asks him at one point. It could be. If it is, though, I don’t know how conscious it is. Maybe he feels like it’s safe to hang out with Cameron now, but, in a tragicomic way, that dynamic has not changed at all. Toward the end of the series, you see that Ethan’s “one thing,” being smart, drives Cameron insane. Cameron knows he has one way of getting anything, and that’s his way of pillaging Ethan.
Ethan and Harper believe the one thing holding their relationship together is “honesty.” I’m interested in the difference between the factual lies, which they apparently didn’t tell prior to this trip, and the emotional lies they seem to have been telling for a while.
There are a lot of big changes here. They’ve gone on a vacation, and that invites a certain kind of self-reflection — it puts you in an existential space. They’re set against a really different couple in Cameron and Daphne. They also have this newfound wealth that’s changed the way they operate. They’ve been in cruise control, and on this vacation, they’re realizing they’re in a rut. They’re not actually honest about the difficult things. It takes a lot for them to confront it.
Cameron and Daphne are a lustful couple — that’s the strength of their relationship. We don’t see that from Ethan and Harper. How do you see love and lust playing out in their relationship?
They are sort of intertwined. Aubrey and I would talk about what their day-to-day is like because you meet them in a marital crisis. We wanted to communicate that there is a longing for something that was there, so there are stakes to this because they do love each other.

Cameron says that there’s this idea of a bro code, and that’s convenient for Ethan when he withholds the information about himself and Lucia and what happened with Cameron that night. He’s like, It doesn’t feel like Harper and I are in a good place. This doesn’t look good. I showed some willpower, but I was still curious about it, and I still invited this stuff to happen. He’s scared of what it says about where they’re at.
That idea of “bro code” invokes a masculine bond. How do you view Ethan’s relationship to masculinity?
He doesn’t want to engage in what he sees as stereotypically masculine interactions. If he gains status, he wants it to be because he deserves it and he’s worked for it and not because he’s demanding it. And he still does fail in a traditionally male way through the series.
What do you mean by that?
He’s not showing up for his marriage. He’s internalizing problems and not communicating well. Nor is Harper, arguably, but Ethan certainly isn’t. He doesn’t tell her about the incident with Cameron, and then, when he does tell her, the way he tells her is uncomfortable. It was uncomfortable to play, too, in that deliciously Mike White way.
The elephant in the room with Ethan’s masculinity is that he doesn’t want to have sex with his wife.
Right.
Not wanting, or being unable, to have sex with your wife would classically be conceived of as emasculating. Does that factor play into his character?
If you think about the times when sex could happen: The first time, he’s just been walked in on jerking off and he’s kind of on the back foot, so I can understand why that’s not the best time. There’s also the moment where Harper is trying to seduce him. I remember talking with Mike about it, and he wanted to play it like Ethan just hasn’t noticed. He’s been for a run and he’s going about his day. That’s heartbreaking for Harper.
The deeper fear is, Are we falling out of love? But alongside that is this question of, Are we still physically attracted to each other? Early on, Aubrey, Mike, and I had conversations about the relationship and decided they had probably been together for at least seven or eight years. Mike always said he didn’t want the problem in the marriage to be anything too specific. He didn’t want it to be their newfound wealth or some incident from their past; he wanted it to be that they’ve been together for a long time. That’s the hardest thing for them to confront.
I don’t know how that relates to the question of his masculinity. It relates to his role as a husband, and that is a masculine role, traditionally.
At one point, Ethan has a vision of Harper and Cameron coming into the room ready to bone. Is his fear about Harper cheating or about Cameron winning with yet another girl?
It’s ultimately more about the former, but it is both. Maybe he’s not ready to be angry at Harper about it yet. It’s easier to be angry at Cameron.
You’ve mentioned that, this season, the scale felt bigger in part because you were in Sicily. Is that a fair paraphrasing of you?
It’s something about the emotional scale. It’s a tonal thing. It’s darker and Mediterranean. It felt operatic or like a Roman tragedy that unfolds with volcanic energy. The grandeur of the locations in that environment, the context of it, and the sense of history had that mythic feeling to it.
I’m interested in you invoking Roman tragedy. Do you see Ethan as a tragic figure?
It’s difficult to talk about that at this point.
There’s something theatrical about how badly things go for Ethan: that moment Harper happens to look at him just as he’s talking to Lucia. Or the fact that his lie about what Cameron did that night got him in more trouble than Cameron.
Some of that is his own fault and some of that is not. Maybe there’s a part of him that can’t believe the misfortune and thinks, How has this got fucked up so quickly? It takes him a minute to realize the things he’s putting in his own way. He definitely has the potential to be a tragic figure. The question is whether he’s going to do anything about that.
The White Lotus has only had a few visitors who are not American. Is the show specifically American in its focus?
The skewering of privilege is fairly universal. I know that people in the U.K. find it funny and uncomfortable. The privilege adds a layer of absurdity to all their problems, but they are human beings with problems, which makes it accessible.
Sometimes I felt like this dynamic between Cameron and Ethan is quite American. Status is important all around the world, but there is a particularly American way of giving status.
What is that particular way?
Just how important it is. There might be a quiet, inherent competition in any kind of interaction even if it’s not well discussed. Of course, that is something that exists in England and in Japan, and it manifests in different ways. But it’s that bit louder.
If that relationship as a foursome is all about status —
I don’t think it is all about that; I think it’s part of it.
Is that what your relationship with Cameron is about?
At times. At times, that is a thing.
How does the change of status, with Ethan now having money, affect the relationship?
They both have a different kind of status. Ethan is comfortable, or tells himself he’s comfortable, with Cameron having his version of status because he thinks, I don’t want that status anyway. But Cameron doesn’t want Ethan to have any status. Subconsciously, he’s like, I don’t like that you’re good at even one thing.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
The White Lotus’s Meghann Fahy Knows Daphne Is No Victim
By Jackson McHenry, a Vulture senior writer covering theater, film, and TV
Photo: HBO
Sure, Meghann Fahy’s White Lotus character, Daphne, comes across as an Instagram-perfect mommy who doesn’t remember whether she votes, but there’s more to her than meets the eye. She reveals as much on this week’s episode of the HBO series, “Bull Elephants,” when she decides to whisk Aubrey Plaza’s Harper off on an impromptu trip from their hotel in Taormina, Sicily, to nearby Noto seemingly just to play mind games with her husband, Cameron (Theo James). Once Daphne gets there, she decides to offer Harper an edible and proffer her thoughts on the obvious fact that her husband cheats on her a lot. She’s not the victim in their relationship, she insists, and she knows the deal she’s bought into.
At Vulture Festival in Los Angeles this weekend, Fahy discussed this new side of Daphne after a screening of the episode, and revealed a bit of creator Mike White’s intentions with Cameron and Daphne’s mind games. She also discussed the experience of filming on location in Sicily, learning to make a moderately okay eggplant Parmesan, and what her breakout character on The Bold Type might make of “Zen mommy” Daphne.

That conversation on the palazzo where Daphne talks about not being a victim, what do you think that means to her?
To me, that’s kind of the key to her. I remember Mike at the very beginning being pretty specific about Daphne not being a victim of her circumstances. This dynamic that they set up in the first two episodes between Cameron and Daphne, I was like, “Who? What’s her name?” You’ve seen it before. You kind of think that she’s just this simple housewife who doesn’t have too much going on. And I think what becomes really interesting about the dynamic is in this episode when you realize that that’s not totally the case. Daphne has a relationship with her own sadness in a way that maybe some of the other people that she’s on the trip with don’t. And I think that is what enables her to be genuinely happy in her marriage.
Another thing that Mike said that felt really important was that the connection between Daphne and Cameron is really legit, and they actually really do enjoy being around each other. They have a great sex life and they laugh and they play, and all of those things are real. It’s not what Harper thinks it is, which is just bullshit. And so I think that that is the driving force of that whole thing, and then you kind of are meant to wonder, Well does it really matter how somebody finds happiness? Even if it’s unconventional to you and it might seem kind of fucked up, if there’s happiness, who cares?
I read an interview where you described her as a “Zen mommy.” I was wondering what you meant by that.
I actually can’t take credit for that, because that was actually a term that Aubrey coined when we were trying to figure out what her wardrobe was going to be. The Zen mommy is this idealized woman who has 75 children — not 74, 75 — and is always wearing a beautiful floral dress and looks like nothing is bothering her. And I felt like that was sort of the vibe that I wanted for Daphne. I wanted her to seem very carefree, because she sort of is unconcerned, even in the bad ways, like not voting.
What was it like filming in that palazzo? I believe it was actually in Palermo, right?
It was in Palermo. It was pretty cool because Mike really loves to cast non-actors to do things. So there is like, a two-page scene from that episode that ended up getting cut, where the actual owner of that palazzo was showing Aubrey and I around. And he had never been in front of a camera before, and it was so cute, because he couldn’t walk and talk at the same time. So Mike kept trying to be like, “So you’re just explaining to them where everything is, but you’re moving.” And he would be like, “The bedrooms — are here. The dining room — is here.” He was so precious. And it really was his house! And we finished and we were in the pool and he brought us gin-and-tonics. It was so sweet. I loved that Mike loves finding that authenticity wherever he can. A lot of the staff that you see is the real staff that was working at the Four Seasons with us.

I’m curious about the experience of shooting in this hotel in Sicily while it’s on its offseason and mostly empty. What’s it like to be play-acting being on vacation in that hotel in Taormina?
Oh, psychotic! I mean, 100 percent insanity. It was like, weird actor camp. In many ways, I wouldn’t recommend it! No, it was so fun, it was really very special and unique. It was really cool to see how Taormina sort of blossoms. Like, when we first got there, it was empty, 70 percent of the restaurants and everything else were closed, and then it felt like overnight, all of a sudden, the streets were filled with people. So it was kind of cool to see that transition happen in real time.
I was surprised by how willing that community was to welcome us and to make us a part of their daily life. The people who had their restaurants open were so good to us, they would take us in and they would offer us cooking classes. They were just unbelievably warm and kind. To me, when I think about the trip, that’s the thing I take away more than anything, the people that we met in that area who were just so lovely.
Did you have a favorite meal that you had there, something that sticks in your memory like, “I really miss the X from Taormina?”
Well, I did make an eggplant Parmesan with my own hands that was pretty mediocre! But I had a great time doing that class. Truly, it was just this man who owned this restaurant, who was not teaching cooking classes. He was like, “Show up to my restaurant tomorrow at noon.” And I was like, “Am I in some sort of rom-com? This is so sick!” And I just showed up and he was like, “Cool, just get into the kitchen.” I had an apron and the chef was cooking meals to give to people who were there to pay to eat the food. He was just teaching me things as that was happening. It was incredible.
Going back to Daphne and Cameron’s relationship, did you know Theo at all before? How did you get to know him?
I knew him! He did not know me. I had seen him in Divergent of course, but no, we didn’t meet, and there were no chemistry reads before, which is a little bit unusual for things like this. So we met for the first time in Italy. But he was just really easy to do scenes with. He’s so (a) talented, and (b) open, which is the only thing you can ask for, you know? He was really playful, and it was really simple with him.
You have that speech about the elephants, which gives the episode its title. What was it like to do that scene with Aubrey? How did you approach playing the dynamic where they’re sort of feeling each other out?
It was fun because it was a new location for us, and I think it was the first time, too, that Aubrey and I were shooting scenes alone together, up to that point we had been doing a lot of stuff with just the four of us. Some of those Noto scenes were my favorite scenes to shoot with her, because I just felt like it was a different color for both Daphne and Harper that we hadn’t seen yet.
It’s interesting seeing that part of her revealed. How did you think of that side of her? What do you think she sees in Harper that she wants to figure out?
I think that there is a genuine want in Daphne to connect with Harper. I do think that Daphne probably doesn’t have that many female friends, and so I think that that is a part of what drives her. But also she’s using her in a way, like, Harper is sort of an accessory in Daphne’s game that she’s playing with Cameron that they’re both getting off on. Like, I genuinely believe that Daphne would have gone to Nodo by herself if Harper had not gone with her, just to piss him off.
When I talked to Haley Richardson about the show, she mentioned that Mike White seems to incorporate parts of the actors in the characters you play. He’s very open to a little bit of improv. Do you feel there are parts of Daphne that are colored by who you are?
Yeah, absolutely. And I feel like everybody on the show would probably say that that’s true for them. You’re able to connect in a way to these people that, in a lot of ways, are not accessible humans, and it’s because Mike does that. He picks something in you that the character also has, and he just kind of lets you go off and do that thing.
What do you think the thing was in you that the character also has?
I know this is so lame, but I feel like I can’t give that away. It’s too vulnerable. But I will say I do think that something that Daphne has that I connect with is just that she has an inclination to bring people in around her, and I do connect to that. So that’s one thing I feel like she and I share.
Before you played Daphne you were on The Bold Type. What do you think Sutton would make of Daphne?
You know, there are some pretty key similarities between those two characters, and I think it’s their warmth. I think that Sutton and Daphne are similar in the sense that they want to make the people around them feel safe. That’s often through humor. And there’s just a general sort of sunshine-y-ness to those two characters that I feel is similar. I think they’d probably get along, although I think Sutton’s a little bit harder than Daphne in some ways. That’d be interesting to see, them fight each other in a ring!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Which of the Cheaters Actually Boned in the White Lotus Finale?
By Jason P. Frank@jasonspank
Photo: Fabio Lovino/HBO
Well, we’re a few days out from the finale of season two of The White Lotus, and despite all the lingering mystery around shootings and scamming and singing, one question remains top of mind: Who boned? By the final episode, creator Mike White is working in full ambiguity. The audience has no idea what really happened between Harper (Aubrey Plaza) and Cameron (Theo James) and their respective spouses, Ethan (Will Sharpe) and Daphne (Meghann Fahy). It’s implied that everyone cheats on their partner in some capacity, as part of what Sharpe calls their “terrifying matrix,” but the how (and sometimes even why) is unclear. Luckily, for those of us who hate not knowing who fooled around with whom, the actors have shared their own thoughts about all the potential boning.

Fahy recently told Variety that she knows “something happened” on Isola Bella, the island adjacent to the White Lotus that Daphne takes Ethan to. “I don’t know that I can say exactly what happened, but I think definitely something sexual for sure,” Fahy said. “Honestly, in that moment, I think Daphne just saw this broken man and wanted to do something to make him feel more empowered in her own strange way. I really don’t think that she led him there to get back at Cameron or Harper.” See? Daphne isn’t a vengeful woman — she is simply bestowing a gift.

Sharpe plays it vague when asked what happened. “That is open to interpretation,” he told Variety, which is such an actor answer. “But I feel like whatever happened, in a literal sense, that moment between them is definitely a moment of connection. It’s a moment of intimacy. I think there’s something about Daphne’s sense of self, and the accommodation she has found with who she is, and how she’s living. Something about that, I think, affects Ethan.” You know in Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar when Star is like, “I think your dong went all the way up and touched my heart”? Something very similar happened here, it would seem.
James, meanwhile, is out here giving specifics. When he chatted with Vulture, he was pretty clear about his ideas. “In terms of what specifically happened, though, it was probably more than she let on by half,” he told us. “Maybe not the most extreme version of that scenario, but there was something else.” Thank you, Mr. James! Clarity is key.
Then there’s Plaza. While on Late Night With Seth Meyers, she was also pretty definitive on what happened. “What happened is … we did some stuff. And I hated every minute of it. It was disgusting. And there was no penetration! I don’t know,” she said. She really blurts it out more than anything, and she says that she hasn’t actually seen the episode yet, so a viewing may change things. But that was how she played it, so we’ll go with that.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
Not how I would have ended it

Great season.

I wonder if this will be the first cliffhanger ending? And they will follow up next season?

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

I got a WHOLE LOT OF THOUGHTS

but I don't want to spoil this.

Sidebar...

Love this series but damn no black folk at all?

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I got a WHOLE LOT OF THOUGHTS

but I don't want to spoil this.

Sidebar...

Love this series but damn no black folk at all?

Solid season overall.

They need to diversify the cast, no doubt.

Thought the finale was pretty good. Ending was a bit far-fetched, but I liked how they wrapped up the storylines for the side cast. Liked the varying levels of jealousy, envy, suspense & mystery. The seasons don't run too long at 6 & 7 episodes respectively. And the story can go all types of different ways as you wait for it to play out.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Solid season overall.

Thought the finale was pretty good. Ending was a bit far-fetched, but I liked how they wrapped up the storylines for the side cast. Liked the varying levels of jealousy, envy, suspense & mystery. The seasons don't run too long at 6 & 7 episodes respectively. And the story can go all types of different ways as you wait for it to play out.

That 6 to 7 is a sweet spot

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Solid season overall.

Albie need to come back with a scream mask and get revenge on that whole town

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
That 6 to 7 is a sweet spot

Agreed. The shorter / limited series are definitely appreciated in recent years with the flood of great series out there. Like you said - 6 to 7 is that sweet spot, and anything in the 5 - 12 episode range has seemingly worked quite well for a number of shows and networks.

They end up NOT overstaying their welcome like network shows. Plus, they can develop the characters better than a typical movie (without having to add a bunch of filler material for extra episodes).

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Agreed. The shorter / limited series are definitely appreciated in recent years with the flood of great series out there. Like you said - 6 to 7 is that sweet spot, and anything in the 5 - 12 episode range has seemingly worked quite well for a number of shows and networks.

They end up NOT overstaying their welcome like network shows. Plus, they can develop the characters better than a typical movie (without having to add a bunch of filler material for extra episodes).

I think certain series types DO need more than 6 episodes

But I would rather a 6 then a hiatus then another 4 or 6.

Or 6/7 then give me another season about a year later.

SHOOT ALL 10.

In fact to me?

I think some shows need TWO SEASONS AUTOMATICALLY.

We shouldn't be waiting on Reacher, etc.

You KNOW a hit when you see it.

And it gives the audience more confidence in your brand too

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend
I think certain series types DO need more than 6 episodes

But I would rather a 6 then a hiatus then another 4 or 6.

Or 6/7 then give me another season about a year later.

SHOOT ALL 10.

In fact to me?

I think some shows need TWO SEASONS AUTOMATICALLY.

We shouldn't be waiting on Reacher, etc.

You KNOW a hit when you see it.

And it gives the audience more confidence in your brand too

That's true.

That shorter turn around between seasons. It's really helpful in maintaining audience interest and viewership.

It's definitely reassuring (especially in recent years with all the pandemic disruptions) when you'd hear that shows were filming seasons back-to-back to speed up the post-production and editing processes. Shows the network execs have trust in the showrunners and whatnot.

If I remember correctly, BARRY and other series have done this recently.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
That's true.

That shorter turn around between seasons. It's really helpful in maintaining audience interest and viewership.

It's definitely reassuring (especially in recent years with all the pandemic disruptions) when you'd hear that shows were filming seasons back-to-back to speed up the post-production and editing processes. Shows the network execs have trust in the showrunners and whatnot.

If I remember correctly, BARRY and other series have done this recently.

Interesting as we are discussing everything we like about the shortened seasons on streaming?

The Writers HATE IT and a strike next year is very very very close to happening.

I had no idea how much residuals were effected by all this.