TV News: Chucky first look: Get a killer tease of horror icon's TV show CANCELED

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Chucky TV show to feature new characters, 'classic' scares

February 12, 2019 at 02:38 PM EST
Producer Nick Antosca (Channel Zero) has revealed the upcoming Chucky TV show will feature new characters and “classic” scares. It was announced last month that Antosca is collaborating on a series for SYFY about the killer doll with Don Mancini (who wrote the original script for 1988’s Child’s Play as well as writing and directing the last three Chucky films), and longtime franchise producer David Kirschner. Antosca also revealed that the show’s working title is Chucky and that the plan is for Brad Dourif to once again voice the doll, as he has done in all the previous films.

“The series is going to be closer to the tone of the first two movies,” Antosca told Slash Film. “It’s going to go back to a sort of classic scare.”

As for the cast of characters beyond Chucky himself, Antosca explained that the show would concentrate on introducing new principals rather than showcasing fan favorites like Alex Vincent’s Andy, Fiona Dourif’s Nica, or the Jennifer Tilly-voiced Tiffany.

“They might pop in eventually, but it’s new characters,” said Antosca, whose next immediate project is Hulu’s true-crime anthology, The Act. “I don’t want to say anything definitive. I want to leave that to Don, but let’s just say that there might be opportunities in the story for Jennifer or Fiona to make an appearance. Of course, the plan is for Brad to be the voice.”

Despite this, Antosca confirmed that the show would regard the films as canonical.

“It’s consistent with that mythology, but it’s a whole new story,” he said. “So you could come into it without knowing anything about the previous stuff and get into it. But it is consistent with all the mythology that has come before, so it is in canon.”

A rather different — though, one assumes, still homicidal — iteration of Chucky will be seen in the remake of the original 1988 film Child’s Play, which is released June 21.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Chucky first look: Get a killer tease of horror icon's TV show

Franchise creator Don Mancini exclusively talks about his murderous doll's new series.
By Clark Collis
July 16, 2021 at 10:00 AM EDT

ADVERTISEMENT
SaveFBTweetMore

00:02
05:56

Given Chucky's diminutive size, it seems appropriate that the killer doll and big-screen horror icon has now made his way to the small screen and EW can exclusively reveal that Chucky will premiere Oct. 12 at 10 p.m. on USA and SYFY.
In the show, an idyllic American town is thrown into chaos after a vintage 'Good Guy' doll turns up at a suburban yard sale. Soon, everyone must grapple with a series of horrifying murders that begin to expose the town's deep hypocrisies and hidden secrets. Meanwhile, friends and foes from Chucky's past creep back into his world and threaten to expose the truth behind his mysterious origins as a seemingly ordinary child who somehow became this notorious monster.

Chucky from the 'Chucky' TV show

| CREDIT: SYFY
The show stars Zackary Arthur (Transparent) and its showrunner is franchise creator Don Mancini, who co-wrote the original film in the movie series, 1988's Child's Play, and wrote and directed several of the sequels, including 2017's Cult of Chucky.
"The main character is a 14-year-old gay boy who's bullied and sort of lost after the recent death of his mother," says Mancini. "He's a young artist [making] sculptures with doll parts. He finds Chucky at a yard sale and buys him, but it turns out that he gets much more than he bargained for." Arthur is joined on the show by young actors Teo Briones, Alyvia Alyn Lind, and Björgvin Arnarson. "One of the things I wanted to do was bring [the franchise] back to its Child's Play roots and have the protagonists [be] kids. But since, with the first couple of movies, we'd already delved into having little kids I wanted to explore something different, so this time we're exploring young teenagers."

The cast of Chucky also includes Arthur's fellow franchise newbies Lexa Doig (Jason X) and Devon Sawa (Final Destination) as well as returning fan favorites Jennifer Tilly, Fiona Dourif, Alex Vincent, Christine Elise, and Brad Dourif, who once again voices the titular maniac.
"One of the things that we pride ourselves on, and I think makes our franchise singular, is that we have spun a relatively consistent and coherent narrative over the course of 33 years and seven films and now eight episodes of television," says Mancini. "I think that's one of the things that our fans like about the Chucky franchise. I deliberately ended Cult of Chucky on a series of cliffhangers, major cliffhangers, because I knew a TV series would be the ideal place to accommodate delving into the ramifications. So we begin the series introducing our new story, our new milieu, and then we start to bring the veteran characters into the story, and it all comes together for a big showdown."
Another element of the TV show which pays homage to the franchise's past? The Chucky doll seen in the series is deliberately modeled on the version seen in 1990's Child's Play 2.
"Over the years, I've heard that the consensus fan favorite among all the movies is Child's Play 2," says Mancini. "I think one of the reasons for that is how Chucky looked in that movie and how the late director John Lafia, who passed away last year, shot Chucky. Our goal with the series was to bring Chucky's look precisely back to that. Tony Gardner and Peter Chevako (special effects artists responsible for creating the show's puppets) have done a great job. I think fans are really going to love that."
If Chucky proves a success, Mancini hopes to make further seasons of the show and is also determined his pint-sized psychopath will star in more movies.
"We have plans to do that, whether in lieu of additional seasons of the series, or in tandem with [them], potentially," he says. "We're creating a broader Chucky universe with the TV series that now could span over different media."
Chucky is produced by UCP and executive produced by Mancini, David Kirschner, Nick Antosca, and Alex Hedlund. Harley Peyton is also serving as executive producer.
Exclusively see a first look image of Chucky in the Chucky TV show above and watch a teaser for the series below.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Chucky first look: Get a killer tease of horror icon's TV show

Franchise creator Don Mancini exclusively talks about his murderous doll's new series.
By Clark Collis
July 16, 2021 at 10:00 AM EDT

Given Chucky's diminutive size, it seems appropriate that the killer doll and big-screen horror icon has now made his way to the small screen and EW can exclusively reveal that Chucky will premiere Oct. 12 at 10 p.m. on USA and SYFY.
In the show, an idyllic American town is thrown into chaos after a vintage 'Good Guy' doll turns up at a suburban yard sale. Soon, everyone must grapple with a series of horrifying murders that begin to expose the town's deep hypocrisies and hidden secrets. Meanwhile, friends and foes from Chucky's past creep back into his world and threaten to expose the truth behind his mysterious origins as a seemingly ordinary child who somehow became this notorious monster.

Chucky from the 'Chucky' TV show

| CREDIT: SYFY
The show stars Zackary Arthur (Transparent) and its showrunner is franchise creator Don Mancini, who co-wrote the original film in the movie series, 1988's Child's Play, and wrote and directed several of the sequels, including 2017's Cult of Chucky.
"The main character is a 14-year-old gay boy who's bullied and sort of lost after the recent death of his mother," says Mancini. "He's a young artist [making] sculptures with doll parts. He finds Chucky at a yard sale and buys him, but it turns out that he gets much more than he bargained for." Arthur is joined on the show by young actors Teo Briones, Alyvia Alyn Lind, and Björgvin Arnarson. "One of the things I wanted to do was bring [the franchise] back to its Child's Play roots and have the protagonists [be] kids. But since, with the first couple of movies, we'd already delved into having little kids I wanted to explore something different, so this time we're exploring young teenagers."

The cast of Chucky also includes Arthur's fellow franchise newbies Lexa Doig (Jason X) and Devon Sawa (Final Destination) as well as returning fan favorites Jennifer Tilly, Fiona Dourif, Alex Vincent, Christine Elise, and Brad Dourif, who once again voices the titular maniac.
"One of the things that we pride ourselves on, and I think makes our franchise singular, is that we have spun a relatively consistent and coherent narrative over the course of 33 years and seven films and now eight episodes of television," says Mancini. "I think that's one of the things that our fans like about the Chucky franchise. I deliberately ended Cult of Chucky on a series of cliffhangers, major cliffhangers, because I knew a TV series would be the ideal place to accommodate delving into the ramifications. So we begin the series introducing our new story, our new milieu, and then we start to bring the veteran characters into the story, and it all comes together for a big showdown."
Another element of the TV show which pays homage to the franchise's past? The Chucky doll seen in the series is deliberately modeled on the version seen in 1990's Child's Play 2.
"Over the years, I've heard that the consensus fan favorite among all the movies is Child's Play 2," says Mancini. "I think one of the reasons for that is how Chucky looked in that movie and how the late director John Lafia, who passed away last year, shot Chucky. Our goal with the series was to bring Chucky's look precisely back to that. Tony Gardner and Peter Chevako (special effects artists responsible for creating the show's puppets) have done a great job. I think fans are really going to love that."
If Chucky proves a success, Mancini hopes to make further seasons of the show and is also determined his pint-sized psychopath will star in more movies.
"We have plans to do that, whether in lieu of additional seasons of the series, or in tandem with [them], potentially," he says. "We're creating a broader Chucky universe with the TV series that now could span over different media."
Chucky is produced by UCP and executive produced by Mancini, David Kirschner, Nick Antosca, and Alex Hedlund. Harley Peyton is also serving as executive producer.
Exclusively see a first look image of Chucky in the Chucky TV show above and watch a teaser for the series below.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Chucky trailer teases 'world series of slaughter'

The show's promo premiered during the Legacy of Chucky panel at Comic-Con on Sunday.
By Clark Collis
July 25, 2021 at 05:30 PM EDT

Child's Play franchise creator Don Mancini recently told EW that the new TV series Chucky would be "tonally in check" with the many horror movies featuring his killer doll. And the trailer for the show, which premiered at Comic-Con's Legacy of Chucky panel on Sunday, would seem to confirm that the series will not be short of bloody mayhem.
In Chucky, an idyllic American town is thrown into chaos after a vintage 'Good Guy' doll turns up at a suburban yard sale. Soon, everyone must grapple with a series of horrifying murders that begin to expose the town's deep hypocrisies and hidden secrets. Meanwhile, friends and foes from Chucky's past creep back into his world and threaten to expose the truth behind his mysterious origins as a seemingly ordinary child who somehow became this notorious monster.

"The main character is a 14-year-old gay boy who's bullied and sort of lost after the recent death of his mother," said Mancini. "He's a young artist [making] sculptures with doll parts. He finds Chucky at a yard sale and buys him, but it turns out that he gets much more than he bargained for." The show stars Zackary Arthur who is joined on the show by fellow young actors Teo Briones, Alyvia Alyn Lind, and Björgvin Arnarson. "One of the things I wanted to do was bring [the franchise] back to its Child's Play roots and have the protagonists [be] kids," said Mancini. "But since, with the first couple of movies, we'd already delved into having little kids I wanted to explore something different, so this time we're exploring young teenagers."
The show also stars Lexa Doig, Devon Sawa, Jennifer Tilly, Fiona Dourif, Alex Vincent, Christine Elise, and Brad Dourif, who once again voices Chucky. Chucky will premiere Oct. 12 at 10 p.m. on USA and SYFY.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Chucky creator says reuniting Bound cast for season 2 was 'queer fever dream come true'

Don Mancini was "super excited" to get Jennifer Tilly, Gina Gershon, and Joe Pantoliano back together.
By Clark CollisOctober 04, 2022 at 12:00 PM EDT

Back in June, it was announced that Chucky season 2 will feature a reunion of Jennifer Tilly, Gina Gershon, and Joe Pantoliano, the three principal actors from the 1996 neo-noir Bound. Tilly, of course, has a long history with the killer doll franchise which stretches back to 1998's Bride of Chucky, but how did Chucky creator Don Mancini get Gershon and Pantoliano onboard?
"Jennifer was, not surprisingly, extremely instrumental in helping put all of that together," says Mancini. "I had coincidentally met Gina before I ever met Jennifer, back in the '90s, through my friend Mike Werb, who was one of the writers on Face/Off, which Gina was in. We had a little bit of interaction over the the years, and talked about working together on and off, and we're finally able to make it work with this show. Like most gay people, I love Bound. I've loved it for 30 years and it was always thrilling for me to be working with Jennifer Tilly shortly after that film and just to be able to reunite that cast and work with them is kind of a queer fever dream come true, honestly. So, yeah, super excited to do that!"

Gina Gershon, Jennifer Tilly, and Joe Pantoliano in 'Bound'

| CREDIT: DINO DE LAURENTIIS/SUMMIT/KOBAL/SHUTTERSTOCK
Mancini is less forthcoming on exactly how the Bound cast will reunite on the show.
"I don't want to say too much," he demurs. "We also have Meg Tilly (Jennifer's actor sister) and Sutton Stracke. Meg, I've know glancingly over the years through Jennifer. Sutton Stracke is in real-life Jennifer's good friend who is on The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. I had met Sutton a couple of times through Jen over the years, and again can't say too much, but we draw Sutton into our orbit. It's just such a thrill to work with all of these amazing actors. I think people are going to like it."

Alyvia Alyn Lind as Lexy Cross in 'Chucky' season 2

| CREDIT: RAFY/SYFY
In Chucky season 2, Mancini channels his own Catholic upbringing by sending season 1 survivors Jake (Zackary Arthur), his boyfriend Devon (Björgvin Arnarson), and their pal Lexy (Alyvia Alyn Lind) into the care of nuns and priests. "Our kids are sent to a Catholic reform school," says Mancini. "So we follow this budding gay relationship in a Catholic school setting. As you can imagine, there's going to be some conflict going on." As you can also imagine, the Brad Dourif-voiced Chucky does not make things any easier. "Chucky's not done with them," says Mancini. "He has sworn vengeance on those who thwarted him in season 1 and he attempts to get it."
At the end of season 1, Tilly's character Tiffany (who has possessed the body of the "real" Jennifer Tilly) removed the limbs of Fiona Dourif's Nica. So, how is that relationship going? "She continues to view Nica through her very psychotic lens," says Mancini. "They're living a life that is very Sunset Boulevard, holed up in this Hollywood home."
Devon Sawa also returns despite perishing (twice!) in season 1. "In the way that Ryan Murphy would bring actors back in different roles [on American Horror Story], I guess Devon Sawa is this franchise's Jessica Lange," laughs Mancini. "He's playing the headmaster of the school where the kids get sent."
As for new cast members, Lachlan Watson plays Chucky and Tiffany's gender fluid offspring Glen/Glenda and Bella Higginbotham portrays another pupil named Nadine.
"She is a kid that our three amigos meet at the school," says Mancini of the latter. "Initially, she is not aware of what our three protagonists from last year are aware of, which is that Chucky is still alive in various forms and is coming for them. One of the interesting things is, this is a milieu, a realm where people believe in the supernatural. Is [the existence of Chucky] an interesting confirmation? Or is it a contradiction? And what does that do to your faith?"

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
WANNA PLAY... AGAIN?! ‘CHUCKY’ SLASHES UP SEASON 3 RENEWAL AT SYFY & USA NETWORK
Everyone’s favorite friend 'til the end isn’t finished — not by a long shot.

By Josh Weiss
Chucky Season 2, Episode 8: "Chucky Actually." Photo: SYFY
Everyone’s favorite friend ‘till the end isn’t finished — not by a long shot.
SYFY and USA Network have confirmed that Don Mancini’s hit Chucky series will return for a third season. Not too surprising, given all the critical and audience acclaim the show has garnered since it first premiered in late 2021 (the first two seasons hold incredibly fresh scores of 91 percent on Rotten Tomatoes). Production on the third outing is scheduled to kick off soon.
RELATED: 'Chucky': A frosty Christmas descends upon Hackensack with world's quietest chainsaw in S2 finale
Mancini — who has been a part of the Child’s Play franchise since its very inception more than 30 years ago — created the small screen adaptation and occupies the dual role of showrunner and executive producer. Season 1 takes place in Hackensack, New Jersey: the birthplace and original killing grounds of the notorious serial killer known as Charles Lee Ray (voiced, as always, by the legendary Brad Dourif).
“The cast and crew of ‘Chucky’ would like to thank fans and critics alike for their overwhelming response to season two, which we’re delighted to announce has now spurred the official greenlight on season three. This news has made Chucky very happy. Thank Damballa for that because otherwise Chucky would have been frankly impossible to deal with. Many thanks also to our partners at SYFY, USA and UCP for helping us keep Chucky busy. See you in 2023 for what Chucky himself promises will be his scariest season ever,” said executive producer Don Mancini.

The killer doll’s latest victims are a trio of high schoolers — Jake Wheeler (Zackary Arthur), Devon Evans (Björgvin Arnarson), and Lexy Cross (Alyvia Alyn Lind) — whom Chucky would very much like to slaughter in cold blood. So far, however, they’ve been nothing but a major thorn in his plastic side. Season 2 moved the bulk of the action to the Catholic School of the Incarnate Lord, a religious boarding school for wayward youths, where our protagonists are sent after they’re caught up in the fallout of Chucky’s homicidal shenanigans.
A number of actors from the feature films — particularly Alex Vincent (Andy Barclay), Christine Elise (Kyle), Jennifer Tilly (Tiffany Valentine), Fiona Dourif (Nica Pierce), and Billy Boyd (voice of Glen/Glenda) — make appearances on the show. Nick Antosca, Alex Hedlund, David Kirschner (another longtime veteran of the property), and Jeff Renfroe also serve as executive producers.

Helico-pterFunk

Rising Star
BGOL Legend

His family grew up a few blocks away.

Played sports with him growing up, and ran in a few track events his younger brother was at back in the day too.

Took the bus in HS with his then-girlfriend. She was bad as fuck. Could have easily been a model. Had a "bad girl" vibe about her, but was really low-key and quiet.