TV News: John Wick Spinoff 'The Continental' Three-Night Event Series directed by Albert Hughes UPDATE: Mel Gibson!!

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

John Wick' Spinoff 'The Continental' Is Now a Three-Night Event Series From Director Albert Hughes
BY JEFF SNEIDERPUBLISHED 3 DAYS AGO
There's still room for one more director, so how about a female filmmaker for a change?

The Book of Eli filmmaker Albert Hughes is set to direct two of the three 90-minute episodes that will comprise Lionsgate's event series The Continental, which concerns the hotel at the center of the John Wick franchise.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, which broke the news, The Continental was originally envisioned as a spinoff series before being reconciled as a three-night event series that will air on Starz. Each episode will be roughly 90 minutes in length and cost more than $20 million.

THR reports that Hughes will direct the first and third episodes and executive produce all three, though a director for the second installment has not yet been chosen. Chad Stahelski was originally going to direct the first episode of The Continental back when it was planned as a series. Now he'll simply executive produce alongside David Leitch, Keanu Reeves, original screenwriter Derek Kolstad and franchise producer Basil Iwanyk of Thunder Road. They should consider hiring a female filmmaker for the series' middle entry, given the all-male creative team on hand.

The Continental is set 40 years before the events of John Wick movies against the backdrop of New York City in the 1970s. The series is said to follow a much younger version of Winston, the character played by Ian McShane on the big screen. in the prequel, Winston is a hitman who creates a safe haven for unsavory types such as himself. McShane recently signed on to reprise the role in John Wick 4.

The John Wick franchise is one of Lionsgate's most important along with The Hunger Games, having grossed more than $600 million worldwide. John Wick 4 is currently in production, and a fifth film is already in the works.

Albert Hughes and his brother Allen Hughes co-directed Menace II Society, Dead Presidents and From Hell, though they now work on separate projects, with Albert having recently directed the gorgeous prehistoric adventure movie Alpha as well as the first episode of Showtime's The Good Lord Bird starring Ethan Hawke. He's an interesting hire for the John Wick franchise and I like it, both for him and The Continental.

@largebillsonlyplease @ViCiouS @largebillsonlyplease @ansatsusha_gouki

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
Mel Gibson joins John Wick prequel series The Continental

The special three-night event will air on Starz.
By Andrea TowersOctober 18, 2021 at 03:10 PM EDT

Mel Gibson is joining a universe of assassins. EW has confirmed that the actor has been cast in The Continental, a prequel story to the Keanu Reeves' John Wick films.

Originally ordered in 2018, the series takes places years before the events of the John Wick films and, as you might guess from the title, focuses on the iconic New York hotel that has become a centerpiece of the franchise. Gibson will play a new character named Cormac, marking one of his first regular television roles.

Showrunners Greg Coolidge and Kirk Ward will write and executive produce the series for Starz, which will air the episodes as a special three-night event. John Wick director Chad Stahelski will also executive produce.

Mel Gibson cast in John Wick prequel series, 'The Continental.'

| CREDIT: DAN MACMEDAN/WIREIMAGE
Since the initial debut of the 2014 film featuring Reeves on a revenge spree after his dog is killed, the assassin-centric action film has grown in scope and popularity, spawning both sequels and massive box office hauls. Last year, Lionsgate announced that production would begin on the fourth and fifth installments of John Wick, the former of which is currently scheduled for a May 27, 2022 release.

"They have a writers' room working on it right now, trying to develop the first season," Stahelski told EW of The Continental back in 2019, adding "Keanu and I have sat with that creative element, and laid out what we feel makes John Wick special, and what would make the TV show unique."
Gibson, who was recently seen in the 2020 holiday film Fatman, will next be seen in the upcoming film Stu alongside Mark Wahlberg and Jacki Weaver.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Mel Gibson is joining a universe of assassins. EW has confirmed that the actor has been cast in The Continental, a prequel story to the Keanu Reeves' John Wick films.

Originally ordered in 2018, the series takes places years before the events of the John Wick films and, as you might guess from the title, focuses on the iconic New York hotel that has become a centerpiece of the franchise. Gibson will play a new character named Cormac, marking one of his first regular television roles.

Showrunners Greg Coolidge and Kirk Ward will write and executive produce the series for Starz, which will air the episodes as a special three-night event. John Wick director Chad Stahelski will also executive produce.

Since the initial debut of the 2014 film featuring Reeves on a revenge spree after his dog is killed, the assassin-centric action film has grown in scope and popularity, spawning both sequels and massive box office hauls. Last year, Lionsgate announced that production would begin on the fourth and fifth installments of John Wick, the former of which is currently scheduled for a May 27, 2022 release.

"They have a writers' room working on it right now, trying to develop the first season," Stahelski told EW of The Continental back in 2019, adding "Keanu and I have sat with that creative element, and laid out what we feel makes John Wick special, and what would make the TV show unique."
Gibson, who was recently seen in the 2020 holiday film Fatman, will next be seen in the upcoming film Stu alongside Mark Wahlberg and Jacki Weaver.

@fonzerrillii @ViCiouS

Flawless

Flawless One
BGOL Investor

Dont forget, he was trying to say hurtful things to his wife and the worst he could come up with was hoping she gets raped by a pack of niggas.

ansatsusha_gouki

Land of the Heartless
Platinum Member

I'm not watching this shit now..

What a buzz kill?

I've never supported a Mel Gibson movie...It's crazy,how this guy continues to get hired in Hollywood..

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
You got him,Roman Polanski and Woody Allen chilling in Hollywood like norhing had happen but Dave Chappelle is a danger to society...

But to be fair...

They can't CANCEL him either

Just like Netflix or Gucci and any other corporations

Goya supported Trump remember?

How their stock?

I still don't believe in cancel culture

Cause if something is THAT inconsistent especially against all race gender etc

it ain't real.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Lance Reddick Answers Every Question We Have About John Wick
By Mara Reinstein
https://www.vulture.com/article/reasons-to-love-new-york-2021.html
New York celebrates the city’s timeless, peerless connection to movies.

The beloved character actor on Charon’s Pretty Woman connection, the time a bunch of rats swarmed set, and the note from Keanu he’s getting framed. Photo: Alamy

Lance Reddick moved to Manhattan in 1995 after graduating from the Yale University School of Drama. He had two young kids at the time, and he admits to being a bit of a recluse during the ten years he resided and worked in the city. So the answer is no, he did not draw on his personal experiences cavorting around the city’s luxurious, dangerous after-hours locales when preparing to play Charon, the ever-hospitable concierge of a New York hotel hangout for assassins in John Wick.

Reddick was actually only on the set of the original John Wick for one day. He had no idea the sleek 2014 action film — which starred Keanu Reeves as a former hitman who returns to a seedy New York City underworld to avenge the murder of a puppy gifted to him by his just-deceased wife — would turn into a worldwide $573 million-grossing saga. (It’s since spawned two sequels and counting, each one shining a stylish pop-noir light on a fictionalized Manhattan, after the sun sets behind the skyscrapers. A Starz prequel centering on Charon’s character is on the way as well.) But it did, and the subsequent films have permitted Charon to move from behind that Continental reception desk — in reality, the interior of Delmonico’s steakhouse in the Financial District — and check into the game. For the 2017 sequel, he filmed at the Beaver Building on Wall Street and chauffeured Ian McShane’s Winston to Central Park. By 2019’s John Wick: Chapter 3 — Parabellum, Reddick was performing intense action scenes alongside Reeves. With John Wick: Chapter 4 due in theaters next May, Reddick — who has long been a magnetic presence on TV in The Wire, Oz, Lost, and Fringe — is one of only three actors (along with Reeves and McShane) to appear in the entire saga.

“The movie blew up so much,” Reddick explains in a conversation with Vulture. “Everything changed.”

What stood out to you when you first read the John Wick script?
It wasn’t the death of the puppy. The mild-mannered guy who comes out of retirement and returns to his old universe had been done so many times, but this was original and fresh and fantastic. And the opportunity to play this quintessential gentleman with an African accent was exciting to me. I found out later that the role was kind of written for me. I assumed it was because I did an accent in Oz, or maybe screenwriter Derek Kolstad was a fan of The Wire.
So what was the real reason?
It’s a funny story. I went to lunch with him about two years ago and I was talking about Fringe and complaining about some of my experience on the show. He said that he loved it and that’s where he knew me from!

The Kenyan accent was in the script just for you?
No, it said “African accent.” I get this call on a Wednesday and I was supposed to shoot it that Monday. It happened fast. When I read it, I was worried it wasn’t enough time to do it. But then I thought it may be interesting. So then I put on my accentations. I tried my South African accent and it didn’t fit. And then I tried my Kenyan accent and it worked. The director heard it and said, “Great, let’s do it.”
Did you have anybody in mind when fleshing out Charon’s personality?
He speaks so little but his presence is large and I had to find a way to capture that. So I started through some performances that made me think of him. The two people who came to mind were Alfred from Batman and Hector Elizondo from Pretty Woman.
I was not expecting you to drop a Pretty Woman reference.
Yeah, there was an elegance about him.
What memory comes to mind about filming in New York City?
Well, remember in the first film, I’m only in the hotel and all my scenes are behind the desk. I flew in on a Saturday and did my fittings. Then I shot all my stuff on a Sunday. We were downtown across the street from that big statue of a bull.
What about the sequel, when you got to leave the Continental?
I remember a night shoot. So I pulled up in front of the hotel with Winston and I got the door for him and then we walked in. This was downtown, right? And across the street, all the chairs were there along with the video village, and because it was a restaurant area, there were hordes of rats. Someone showed me a video of the night before and the rats were just swarming around this tree. I’d lived in New York for ten years and never seen anything like it.
Okay, that’s freaky and disgusting.
It was scary because I’m in the generation that the first thing that came to my mind was the Ben movie. All I kept thinking about was Willard!
Still, this was a big-budget Hollywood production. As someone who pounded the pavement while living in the city, was that gratifying to you?
Well, the first one was almost an independent film. By the third one, it was a big Hollywood production. But yeah, I hadn’t worked on a movie that big in New York since The Siege in 1998.
Did people make a scene while you guys were literally making a scene?
They locked it up pretty well. And most of my exterior stuff was done at night. The one scene I did during the day was with Ian and Keanu in Central Park in the second film. And yeah, a lot of people were gawking.

Speaking of Keanu, can you give us some insight into his personality?
I’m a journeyman character actor. And whenever I work with a big movie star for the first time, I keep my guard up to protect my work from an ego. And if there’s any big movie star who’s not that person, it’s Keanu. I remember my first scene that I shot with him — it’s the first scene you see us together in the first movie — he was struggling with the timing. I said, “Keanu do you want to do XYZ?” I don’t even remember what it was. And he kind of smiled and said, “No man, you just do your thing.” My experience with him after that continues to be one with someone who’s very generous as an actor and then all about the work. He’s also very shy. This is going to sound really weird, but — he seems simple, but spiritually he’s very advanced.
That makes perfect sense, actually.
He’s incredibly deep and insightful and thoughtful. But watching him in social situations, he can be like, “I can only take so much input from other people so don’t bother me.” Which is fine. He’s very shrewd. On one hand I feel like I don’t know him very well but on the other, I just adore that guy. He’s such a wonderful human being.
How has your friendship changed after four movies?
We’ve gotten to know each other a little better. I hope I don’t get in trouble for telling this story: During John Wick: Chapter Four, my first day of filming happened to be Keanu’s birthday. But he wasn’t in the scene. He came to the set anyway at nine o’clock at night with his girlfriend who I had never met. And she is … can I say a bad word?
Go for it.
His girlfriend is cool as fuck. And she told me that she asked Keanu what he wanted to do for his birthday and he said, “I want to go see Lance.” He’d never done this before but he wrote me a note thanking me for what I brought to the character in these movies. And he wanted to give the note to me. I’ll never forget it. I’m going to cry now.
Where is the note now?
I don’t remember where I put it. I do know that I want to frame it.

Does the cast hang out together off-the-clock?
No, the shoot is so fragmented. Keanu was so busy and is not a guy who runs all over town, and Ian is almost 80, and I’m a homebody. But my wife and I did once see Bruce Springsteen’s one-man show. I’m not the biggest fan, but seeing him live is a whole other experience.
Can you confirm if there are regular, non-killer guests at the Continental?
Hmmm … I don’t know. I always assumed that all the clients are murderers. Because in certain scenes where bad people would show up in the lobby, everybody would stop because they knew who those people were. But I didn’t do any research into it.
Do you think there is a real secret underbelly in New York City full of bad guys?
I mean, there are all kinds of people between the upper echelons of politics and the ultrarich and the mafia who control so much of the restaurant and trash industry in New York. They’re very secretive and very dangerous. But I’m not part of those clubs!
Could John Wick have worked as well if it weren’t filmed in New York?
I don’t know. There’s definitely a mystique about it. I don’t want to insult another city, but …
Could another city have passed for it?
It wouldn’t have been the same movie. There’s a pulse and energy to New York that’s not like any other place I’ve ever been. It’s such a cultural and financial center of the world. I don’t want to say it has a certain je ne sais quoi, but I just said it. It also has an edge and an elegance because the city encapsulates both the upper echelons of wealth and the dirtiest and grimiest parts of the street.
I know you can’t say much about Chapter Four, but are you an integral part of the movie?
The simple answer is yes. That’s all I can say.
Are you involved with that Charon origin-story series?
I don’t know anything about that but I’ve been hearing about it since the third John Wick film. I may do a cameo but I have not been approached. My plate is pretty full anyway with doing the Resident Evil movies and voice work.
So you say you’re a homebody. But what kind of reaction do you get from concierges when you travel and stay in hotels?
Ha! That’s a fun question. Generally they don’t talk to me. Sometimes they’ll know who I am and say, “It’s a pleasure to have you, Mr. Reddick.” But I don’t use a concierge that much.
What about when you’re filming John Wick in New York? Aren’t you in a fancy hotel for a long time?
I’m not, but the other actors are. Because of my, um, personal quirks, I always stay in a Residence Inn. I like to prepare my own food. And the Residence Inn has a big room and a big kitchen. That’s all I need.

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster
‘John Wick’ Prequel Series ‘The Continental’ Moves From Starz To Peacock
By Peter White
Peter White
Television Editor
@peterzwhiteMore Stories By Peter
August 15, 2022 10:00am
Lionsgate
John Wick prequel series The Continental is on the move. The series is moving from Starz to NBCU streamer Peacock.
The unusual move comes more than four years after the project was first unveiled by the premium cable network. Sources have told Deadline that the three-part action event series is more of a natural fit for Peacock, which recently acquired the rights to the John Wick movies, and comes as Starz has repositioned its brand over the last few years to focus more on female skewing series such as Outlander and series that fit specific demographics such as the Power franchise.
It is not part of a wholesale move to move projects elsewhere ahead of Lionsgate’s pending deal to sell the cable network, as an announcement could come next month. Starz is not expected to have a second window.

RELATED STORY
'Dangerous Liaisons': Starz Unveils First-Look At Series Adaptation & Sets Premiere Date

The Continental will now launch on Peacock in 2023.
The series will explore the origin story and inner workings of the exclusive Continental Hotel, a centerpiece of the John Wick Universe which serves as a refuge for assassins.
Told from the perspective of the hotel manager, a young Winston Scott, played by Colin Woodell, who is based on Ian McShane’s character in the films, is dragged through 1975 New York to face a past he thought he’d left behind. In an attempt to seize control of the iconic hotel, which serves as a meeting point for the world’s most dangerous criminals, Winston charts a deadly course through the mysterious underworld of New York City.
Woodell stars alongside Ayomide Adegun, who will portray a young Charon, Peter Greene, who plays Uncle Charlie, Mel Gibson as Cormac, Ben Robson as Frankie, Hubert Point-Du Jour as Miles, Jessica Allain as Lou, Mishel Prada as KD and Nhung Kate as Yen.
Keanu Reeves, who stars in the movies, is not expected to star in the series.
Greg Coolidge and Kirk Ward serve as writers and showrunners on The Continental, and executive produce alongside Albert Hughes, Thunder Road Pictures’ Basil Iwanyk and Erica Lee, Chad Stahelski, Derek Kolstad, David Leitch, Shawn Simmons, Paul Wernick, Rhett Reese and Marshall Persinger. Albert Hughes directs the first and third installment and Charlotte Brandstrom directs the second installment.
The deal was done by Val Boreland, EVP and Head of Content Acquisitions for NBCUniversal and Jim Packer, President of Worldwide Television and Digital Distribution for Lionsgate.

It comes ahead of the theatrical launch of John Wick: Chapter Four, which is set to be released in March 2023.
“The John Wick films have become a global phenomenon, are among the most watched titles on Peacock and we are thrilled and honored to partner with Lionsgate to extend this incredible franchise,” said Kelly Campbell, President, Peacock and Direct-to-Consumer. “We understand the value of a global franchise and Val Borelandand team knew that by bringing this special event series to Peacock and putting the full power of NBCUniversal behind it, the premiere of The Continental will be the streaming event of the year.”
“John Wick has become part of the cultural zeitgeist with a massive, passionately engaged fan base around the world,” added Lionsgate Television Group Chair Kevin Beggs. “We’re delighted to partner with Peacock to continue expanding the John Wick Universe. This agreement reflects the collaboration of our Motion Picture Group, which has grown the franchise from the beginning and was excited by the opportunity to bring it to the next level, Jim Packer and his Worldwide Television Distribution team, which found the perfect home for The Continental, and the Lionsgate Television creative group, which created a brilliant and enduring property that is one of the most highly-anticipated streaming events of 2023.”

playahaitian

Rising Star
Certified Pussy Poster

Everything We Know About John Wick Spinoff The Continental
BYBRAD CURRAN
PUBLISHED 2 HOURS AGO
The John Wick universe is preparing to expand with The Continental TV series spin-off - we look at everything that's known about the show.

The upcoming John Wick TV series spin-off, The Continental, is generating serious buzz - here's everything we know. The John Wick franchise has built an expansive world with an underbelly of assassins living under the reign of the High Table. The John Wick movies have focused on the eponymous protagonist portrayed by Keanu Reeves but have also introduced many other characters played by big stars as the movie franchise has expanded.

With John Wick: Chapter 4 to hit theaters in 2023, a spin-off series, The Continental, named after the assassin's world's hotel chain, is also in the works. First announced in 2017, The Continental will be a prequel to the main timeline seen in the John Wick movies. Kirk Ward and Greg Coolidge will act as showrunners for the upcoming series, with the franchise's director Chad Stahelski and screenwriter Derek Kolstad also executive producing.

The Continental will not be the only companion series to the main John Wick movies, with the show being one of four John Wick spin-offs in the works, but it will likely be the first one to debut to show more of the franchise's world beyond the central story of John Wick himself. With The Continental to be released on Peacock, there are also a few other details known about the series. Here is everything presently known about The Continental.

The Continental Cast: Are Any John Wick Characters In It?
The Continental is said to focus on a young version of Winston, with Colin Woodell assuming the role of John’s future associate (played in the movies by Ian McShane), while Katie McGrath will appear on the show as The Adjudicator. Ayomide Adegun, Peter Greene, and Jeremy Bobb will also respectively portray young versions of Charon, Uncle Charlie, and a character named Mayhew. Keanu Reeves likely won't be in The Continental, while other cast members whose roles remain unknown include Mel Gibson, Hubert Point-Du Jour, Mishel Prada, Jessica Allain, Nhung Kate, and Ben Robson.

The Continental Story & John Wick Connections
The Continental will take place in the ‘70s and show the young Winston’s early days. The Continental is also said to involve the rise of the Mafia in New York City in the ‘70s along with the city’s garbage strike during the decade.

How Many Episodes Of The Continental There Will Be
The first season of The Continental will tell its story in three episodes. While that might seem a little on the low side, each of the three episodes will be 90 minutes long.

RELATED:How John Wick 3 Sets Up The Continental TV Show

The Continental Release Date Prediction: Before Or After John Wick 4?
Having moved from Starz to Peacock, The Continental is very likely to arrive on the platform after John's High Table battle in John Wick 4, which is set to hit theaters on March 23rd, 2023. While there is no firmly announced premiere date for the show, it seems like a strong possibility that there will be a gap of a few months between the two to allow The Continental’s debut to stand out. That means that viewers and fans of the John Wick universe can likely expect to see The Continental open its doors on Peacock either in the late summer or fall of 2023.

easy_b

Easy_b is in the place to be.
BGOL Investor
Hollywood is really getting redundant right now. Some of these movies are just lazy. Hollywood needs to think out of the box a little bit more, and they need more black directors, and actors and actress.